Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wales crew: moving advice
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:27 

We are quite possibly moving to thiz http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=wales&sll=51.647637,-2.955666&sspn=0.071685,0.194836&ie=UTF8&ll=51.642524,-2.957554&spn=0.071693,0.194836&z=13 part of the world. I know there's a few of you close in Cwmbran and so on, but we'd be a little bit out into the sticks. What are the pluses and minuses and what are Caerleon/Cwmbran like for general stuffs?

Post subject: Re: Wales crew: moving advice
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:35 

Bit of a wide open question this one! I like it here (my house is actually on the map page you linked to), but obviously you would be giving up access to a lot of Cardiff nightlife. On the other hand, depending on where you mean exactly, you could be getting a cracking rural location. What are you reasons for the move, if you don't mind me asking?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:36 

It occurs to me this would be a good excuse to meet for a pint and talk about it. Mini Cardiff meet, anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:41 

Primarily we ned to get away from where we are now - there is ZERO privacy in a flat we are paying £700 a month for. We can a place twice the size with acres of land for the same in the sticks, the downside being the commute and cost thereof. We don't use Cardiff at all really, I almost never go into town except for gigs and due to my job I can't go anywhere without clients being around.

Another meet soon is necessary anyhow, though I'll be taking a viewing of the place we've found before thinking too much harder on it, I have a habit of emotionally committing to things I've no practical hope of being happy with long-term. You know, like a career and so on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:42 
Engorged Member

Cwmbran: The Centre of the Universe.

Caerleon: One of several places in the UK which claim the highest pubs per square inch density.

What could go wrong?

That location, sort of Ponthir/Llanhenock/Newbridge on Usk area is a beautiful part of the world. Cwmbran is a medium sized town with all the associated amenities. Newport is irrelevant. Cardiff is 30 mins away, in traffic, less if there's none.

Like the Doc said, you miss out on Cardiff and all it's amenities, however you get cheaper everything. Rates, houses, drinks, parking etc etc.

Xbox 360 60Gb
Acer 5920G - Core2Duo T7300. Geforce 8600M. 4Gb RAM
Apple iPhone 3GS
Worcester Bosch 240RSF
Hotpoint WF541 (Graphite)
Beko ZA630 (Graphite)
Centurion CLN-155S
Sharp R209

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:49 

GovernmentYard wrote:
Primarily we ned to get away from where we are now - there is ZERO privacy in a flat we are paying £700 a month for. We can a place twice the size with acres of land for the same in the sticks,
Well that's certainly true. You'll have a boatload of privacy with acres of land!

Quote:
the downside being the commute and cost thereof.
When I was working in Cardiff (I'm back in Cwmbran now) I was commuting by train, Cwmbran-Cathays, for £110 a month for a season ticket. It takes around 45min. The drive is 30min with clear roads and about 45min or so with traffic, maybe more. I much prefer the train, where I can read a book or play my PSP.

Quote:
We don't use Cardiff at all really, I almost never go into town except for gigs and due to my job I can't go anywhere without clients being around.
Fair enough. Be sure though. Sometimes, even when you don't use facilities much, it's nice having them there. That's the one thing I would love about living in, say, some posh flat in Landmark Place; the ability to step out of my front door and walk to any number of decent restaurants. Other than that I expect I'd hate it. Clearly, I just need to own a pissed-night-out crashpad in Landmark Place.

Quote:
Another meet soon is necessary anyhow
I concur!

Quote:
though I'll be taking a viewing of the place we've found before thinking too much harder on it, I have a habit of emotionally committing to things I've no practical hope of being happy with long-term. You know, like a career and so on.
Would you prefer to view it and talk afterwards? Things you want to know might be clearer once you've had a scout around.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:01 

Well, if we don't like it, that's the end of the line of enquiry for now, as most similar rural locations I am more familiar with and already have the pluses and minuses figured out for. Next step is contact the estate agent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 19:00 
Chinny chin chin

As I can testify as someone who went rural just under 2 weeks ago, you can wave goodbye to superfast broadband. *DO* check if broadband is currently available so you at least have a connection. Townies may be surprised to know that there are places even in the home counties that are still not covered at all. Hambledon in Hampshire for example which was recently featured on the BBC news.

Also remember you probably won't get mains gas if you are properly rural and you'll have to learn all about septic tanks (makes note to self that I must do this).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 19:08 

Internet would be a deal breaker. I'd be all the more reliant on a good connection in the sticks, I'm not going to make a mistake like that!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 19:14 

Y'know, I literally wouldn't move somewhere with really bad internet now. Wow. I have become a Net Snob.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 19:15 
Chinny chin chin

GovernmentYard wrote:
Internet would be a deal breaker. I'd be all the more reliant on a good connection in the sticks, I'm not going to make a mistake like that!

Make sure you get an I-Plate bellwire filter and a decent router. I was predicted 512k but (touch wood) after a ropey start it's now hovering around a more acceptable 1 meg. May improve more when I get the new I-Plate in on Tuesday.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 22:13 
Eggcellent Member

I really like it around there.

As MyFinger said, plenty of pubs and greenery and for the love of god, just avoid Newport.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 23:03 

I've lived down here since October 2006 and never been to Newport. Or Caerphilly, Merthyr or Ponty fucking Pridd. There's a lot of shitholes hereabouts and I can't be arsed trying any of them, frankly. Actually that's bollocks I once went to a 50th wedding anniversary in Caerphilly town/city/something hall basement. It's a modern building in something approximating its own grounds and we drove there at night from Goytre in my Wife's Grandma's little granny car, so I saw fuck all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:45 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Y'know, I literally wouldn't move somewhere with really bad internet now. Wow. I have become a Net Snob.

Same here. Also, O2 3G signal for when I get the new iPhone. ;)

I quite like where we live, as mostly everyone on our road is ex-council and take care of their homes, and there's also a semblance of community (well, as much as you can have in these modern times).

I like the fact that we're a 15/20 minute walk from the nearest town centres (Hucknall and Bulwell), but if we want to go into Nottingham, it's only 20 mins on the tram/bus. Also, I can cycle north and be in Sherwood Forest within an hour.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:02 

myp wrote:
I like the fact that we're a 15/20 minute walk from the nearest town centres (Hucknall and Bulwell), but if we want to go into Nottingham, it's only 20 mins on the tram/bus. Also, I can cycle north and be in Sherwood Forest within an hour.
You must be incorrect, as Sherwood Forests tram stop is only a few hundred feet from your house. It was less woody than I imagined though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:10 
Best
Board Mother

I can't wait to move from this place, it's getting bad again now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:19 
Gogmagog

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
I can't wait to move from this place, it's getting bad again now.

My mate has his house for sale in Bicester. After he moves, I'll have no real friends here. Just associates I drink with on occasion at ChavPub.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:23 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
You must be incorrect, as Sherwood Forests tram stop is only a few hundred feet from your house. It was less woody than I imagined though.

That was Bulwell Forest, and yes they're all concrete trees.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:24 
Gogmagog

myp wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

That was Bulwell Forest, and yes they're all concrete trees.

With lyrical beats and real live MC's.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:35 
Sitting balls-back folder

GovernmentYard wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Thanks to our new 50p landline tax, you will be able to get at least 2mbps wherever you are, should all go to plans. I think it was.

It's a tax I don't mind particularly, because eventually I want to buy a big field off a farmer in the middle of nowhere and bury a 4 storey house in it - but would hate to go back to shit-or-no internet. That and it's nothing compared to the stiffjob BT still gets away with, and the others go along with.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:38 
Chinny chin chin

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
myp wrote:

Bringing this full circle Chinny style, seminal 80's TV show Robin of Sherwood wasn't shot in Sherwood, but did have large parts shot in Wales. CHINNY80'STVTRUFAX!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:39 

BikNorton wrote:
Thanks to our new 50p landline tax, you will be able to get at least 2mbps wherever you are, should all go to plans. I think it was.
What's that? 50p more on the line rental in return for a universal 2meg broadband promise from BT? I support this idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Not sure how the existance/usage of Virgin Media fits in there though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:44 

Craster wrote:
Not sure how the existance/usage of Virgin Media fits in there though.
Virgin haven't built any new infrastructure in a decade though. I know this very well because they were halfway through rolling out cable througout Cwmbran when they ran out of money, and I live in the other half.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:47 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I'll never forgive Ninex/NTL/Virgin for making a complete mess of the pavements around here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:51 
UltraMod

Malabar Front wrote:
I'll never forgive Ninex/NTL/Virgin for making a complete mess of the pavements around here.

The best thing round my way was that the councils came and redid all the roads and pavements about three months before Mercury/C&W/NTL/Virgin came and dug them all up again. Twats.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:54 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

myp wrote:
The best thing round my way was that the councils came and redid all the roads and pavements about three months before Mercury/C&W/NTL/Virgin came and dug them all up again. Twats.

Ditto! We had lovely pavements around here — I use to rollerblade quite a lot back then as a wee teen, and it was brilliant on smooth pavements. Then they got dug up, and now they're a right mess.

Also: they really have gone through a lot of names, haven't they!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:54 
Sitting balls-back folder

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
What's that? 50p more on the line rental in return for a universal 2meg broadband promise from BT? I support this idea.
50p on all landlines for a promise from all providers, I thought/assumed. Presumably, "provision of least cost", because it would be a waste of money to make BT run miles and miles of copper/fibre if Virgin has a nearer/cheaper jumping-off point. Unlikely as that is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That's rather what I meant - would require an unprecedented level of co-operation between the two big providers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 20:40 
Excellent Member

My friends live in Landmark place, its pretty nice :)

Dunno about out in the sticks though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 20:24 
Honey Boo Boo

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
That's the one thing I would love about living in, say, some posh flat in Landmark Place; the ability to step out of my front door and walk to any number of decent restaurants. Other than that I expect I'd hate it. Clearly, I just need to own a pissed-night-out crashpad in Landmark Place.

That's why I had that flat in Richmond Road - it was a perfect location.

And my friend James lived in Altolusso which was even more perfect. He and his housemate could just decided they felt like going out, and town was right on their doorstep. And then the time came to stagger home, you'd never be more then ten minutes from your doorstep. It was stupidly convenient. Shame he couldn't have his windows open, ever (he faced the mainline and also the incredibly tight corner from Queen Street to Central) but apart from that it was a great place to live.

I live in Caerphilly because it meant I could afford a big, semi-detached house and yet have a shorter commute to Cardiff city centre than some people who live in other parts of Cardiff (St Mellons, for example)

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]