Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Applying for Graduate Jobs
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 14:20 
Ok so I'm soon to be entering the big wide world (unless I get accepted onto a PhD) and Im applying for Graduate schemes.

I know that on the application they like you to big yourself up, but, do you think that Honesty, or just saying "look at me I am so great" is a better way of doing it, as they'll probably have hundereds of applications and want to sift out either ones that are just really clever and have all the right experience and stuff, or will interested in something different, you know?

I'll be graduating with a 2:1 (hopefully) masters in Chemical engineering if that makes any difference

Post subject: Re: Applying for Graduate Jobs
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 14:34 
UltraMod

nickachu wrote:
Honesty, or just saying "look at me I am so great" is a better way of doing it

Both, I'd have thought.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 14:38 
So say "Im really great" but I dont want to work for your company for more than a couple of years and Im only applying due to the lack of jobs in where I really want to work, and I dont want to sit around unemployed and wait til there are jobs where I really want to work, so I'll for for you for a bit then leave as soon as there are jobs again.?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 14:39 
UltraMod

That couldn't possibly fail.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 14:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

When I'm interviewing, I generally only care about four things:
1) That they know what we do - if they can't give me a pretty damned good summary of what the company does I'm not interested
2) That I like them, and they come across as "sharp" (quick answers is a good indicator)
3) They have experience, mainly so I can find out that:
4) Their references are good.

1 is the most important, followed by 4 (we normally talk to their references for quite a while on the phone, so get some good ones).
I'm far more interested in work ethic than skill - you can't teach someone that doesn't show up for work.

Telling them you're only planning on staying for a few years probably wouldn't hurt - three is a better number, I'd say. Don't tell them it's because you don't want their job, after all, you do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 14:57 
Ta, Ive definatly got one good reference, as he'd never give a bad reference, but it's the getting to the interview process that's hard, and answering questions on why you want to work for a company that you dont want to work for really is what's hard.

If I manage to get any interviews I'll bone up on what the company does and bum their buzzwords like "innovation" and stuff like that.

It's just a horrificly time consuming process applying for anything.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 14:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Get in with a good recruitment agency. Are you in London?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 15:01 
Nope
Im in sheffield (at uni) and south east Kent is home. But I dont really want to work in london, I dont really mind where I work tho, but Im basically gonna apply for companies that have graduate schemes for graduate chem engers, P&G, Atkins, BAE, Novartis, etc... and a few PhDs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 15:38 
Gogmagog

I know of a couple of people that work for novartis, if that's of any help.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 15:41 
MaliA wrote:

Do you know what they do there?

I've spent the last 2 years of my degree aiming towards granulation and formulation of powders to make granules to make tablets. That sort of area is where I want to go into.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 15:44 
Gogmagog

nickachu wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Do you know what they do there?

I've spent the last 2 years of my degree aiming towards granulation and formulation of powders to make granules to make tablets. That sort of area is where I want to go into.

I think one is a computer person, and the other is a post doc in something or other. I'll email them henceforthwith, although, I suspect, the post doc person will be the most useful.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 15:46 
I'd probably suspect that to!
Ta! :D

We had some applications lying around our department for novartis, but it wasnt starting til next year, and was for people just going into their final year.... and it was in liverpool...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 19:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

nickachu wrote:

:metul:

Do what my wife did (2.1 Hons MEng Chemical Engineering). Get me to pay for her to do 3 years of a PhD, then never finish it and go work for a bank.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 19:33 
Hahaha

I deffinatly do not want to work in a bank.

If I do a PhD it will be abroad and I wont have to finance it myself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 20:00 
UltraMod

nickachu wrote:

You could so make a mint in the illegal drug trade.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 20:03 
All you need is a food processor and some way to make tablets, so yeah I could

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 20:09 
Chinny chin chin

Drug dealer or advisor on Brainiac.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 20:35 

nickachu wrote:
If I do a PhD it will be abroad and I wont have to finance it myself.
Why would you have to finance it yourself? The EPSRC funds almost all physical science PhDs in the UK, and includes a student stipend of approx £11k per year as part of that. Add on half-a-dozen hours of teaching time at £15-20 per hour each week, and factor in the fact this is all tax free, and you're usually on the equivalent to a £25k salary during a PhD. I certainly was.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 20:42 
Yeah I know that you get funding in the UK aswell, I got an EPSRC grant to do some research over the summer. But I'd much rather do one abroad, I think it would be more of an adventure :D

I did spent most of the day applying for one job today!
Only 3 more that Ive half done to to! D:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 20:47 

nickachu wrote:
Yeah I know that you get funding in the UK aswell, I got an EPSRC grant to do some research over the summer. But I'd much rather do one abroad, I think it would be more of an adventure :D
I know nothing of PhD schemes abroad, except for the American system, where seems to take 4-6 years to complete one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 20:48 
Ive looked at a few in stockholm and it seems the same (ish) EU funding and you have to do a little work each week aswell.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 20:51 

Do you have a boner for loneliness? Because my PhD was pretty lonely (as no-one around me really understood what I was working on) without mixing a language barrier and culture shock in on top! :DD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 20:53 
Haha, no, But 99% of the PhD students in my department on the stuff I wanna do are foreign so I see it would be the same anywhere really. That I think it would be easy enough to meet new people and places do shit for PhD students to meet and stuff and get friends

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 23:15 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I used to tell students doing their UCAS personal statement thing to think about the skills they have learned as compared to the skills of people who'd done different subjects. Law students, f'instance, would have got used to assessing unique situations quickly with case studies, which an english or biology student wouldn't have done. Dont' make it all "I'm great", but make it "I can and want to do this".

Make it clear you're interested and capable, not just professionally, but personally. If you can, volunteer an example of a time you've been great at work, particularly if it was a problem you've spotted that nobody else did, and do it in the statement bit.

Make something the centre of your argument, and focus on it. It should be your srtength - initiative, planning, diplomacy, whatever. Use the other bits as supporting secondary skills, rather than simply making a list of things without emphasising any one - the later just sounds like you're going through the motions.

Honesty is best, but that doesn't mean you have to say "I'm hopelessly late for everything and have a fairly poor attitude to authority". Instead, if you have a deficiency of some kind, omit or play down that part, and play up a skill you have as extra-amazing to make up for it. Don't use lines like "Though I don't have experience in x, I am y, and z", because to some that sounds like YOU make a big deal out of not having x. Instead, make it "I am y and z, and interested in x".

Also, don't slip the word "arseholes" in there and hope nobody notices. They usually do.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 21:30 
Ewwwwww

Just came across these on P&G app

Describe a problem situation where you had to seek out relevant information, define key issues, and decide on which steps to take to get the desired results. Please include details of the context, the actions you took, and the results that were achieved
and
Please give a brief example of when you acted as a leader of a group of people, set direction for them, gained their commitment and led them to achieve outstanding results. Please include details of the context, the actions you took and the results that were achieved. (Max 950 characters including spaces).
and
Describe a time when you had to adapt to a change in order to achieve a better outcome. Please include details of the context, the actions you took and the results that were achieved. (Max 950 characters including spaces)

ewwww!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 21:35 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Those are distresingly common, tbh. The worst I've seen is the one reading something like "describe a situation where you had to talk to someone you didn't know". Are we supposed to record our every bloody polite conversation now and carefully transcribe exactly how we described the weather to that bloke at the bus stop, or what?

Keep yourself in a good mood - remember to have fun and vent - jobhunting is one of the most miserably awful experiences of modern life.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 21:38 
But still.....ewwwww!!!

The only time I've "led" anyone is when my mate dislocated his knee while playing frisbee at our annual "sports" day (which basically involves all Chem Engers in the country meeting at a different uni and getting hammered) and me being left in charge while my mate who was in charge went to the hospital with him. I, suitably hammered at this point, about 2pm or so, managed to get about 30 people to the pub the rest of them were at...

I dont think that will go down too well with a professional company! :D

/edit: and it's those sort of horrible questions that you spend hours racking your brain to find answers for that really put me off applying for companys, whatever happened to just CV and covering letter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 21:41 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Oh, I agree. 95% of job applications and interviews are vile shit and everyone knows it except for the two fuckwads who make the decisions about them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 21:46 
Gogmagog

nickachu wrote:
Ewwwwww

Just came across these on P&G app

Describe a problem situation where you had to seek out relevant information, define key issues, and decide on which steps to take to get the desired results. Please include details of the context, the actions you took, and the results that were achieved
and
Please give a brief example of when you acted as a leader of a group of people, set direction for them, gained their commitment and led them to achieve outstanding results. Please include details of the context, the actions you took and the results that were achieved. (Max 950 characters including spaces).
and
Describe a time when you had to adapt to a change in order to achieve a better outcome. Please include details of the context, the actions you took and the results that were achieved. (Max 950 characters including spaces)

ewwww!

if only they had asked hat of the scriptwriters of red dwarf.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 22:08 
Awesome
Yes

nickachu wrote:
The only time I've "led" anyone is when my mate dislocated his knee while playing frisbee at our annual "sports" day (which basically involves all Chem Engers in the country meeting at a different uni and getting hammered) and me being left in charge while my mate who was in charge went to the hospital with him. I, suitably hammered at this point, about 2pm or so, managed to get about 30 people to the pub the rest of them were at...

What about that time when you had that final year team project to do, and you took control of the group to ensure the presentations were prepared on time, to the correct standard, and you also checked how things wre progressing throughout.

Must've slipped your mind.

My only advice (one I didn't follow myself) is to send out 8,000 applications, just so you can get the one job you might make some money from.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 22:12 
My final year project is individual

I could bullshit about my 3rd year project but that would be lying as no-one needed to take control as we all worked like equally.

I spose lying about some bollocks like that is probably best tho.

Im only going to apply for ones that I wouldn't mind doing because even if I manage to get an interview for a company I dont want to work for, I really can't see myself being anything but honest and saying that I dont want to work for them, I just want some money as no-where else wanted me! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 22:28 
Also they ask if I know anyone that works for the company.

I do, but it's my ex and we havent spoke in 18 months or so...
I dont know whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that I know someone who works there. Should I just lie and say I dont?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 22:37 

Bullshit rote questions demand bullshit rote answers. Yes, you lie. Related: I hate big firm job application processes. I've never done an application form in my life and I've only faced down stupid "what is your greatest weakness" style questions in one interview out of, I dunno, a dozen or so.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 22:42 
Im not a good lier tho :(

Im really terrible at bullshitting aswell. I can't write massive amounts on nonsense, all my lab reports and project work I've done is straight to the point and involves no waffles at all

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 22:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bullshit rote questions demand bullshit rote answers. Yes, you lie. Related: I hate big firm job application processes. I've never done an application form in my life and I've only faced down stupid "what is your greatest weakness" style questions in one interview out of, I dunno, a dozen or so.

'
In my final year of university I filled out well over a hundred online job applications, with a text file of rote answers to each of the questions I'd come across. There were only about ten answers in there. Company wanted a hand-written application? I didn't apply.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 22:47 

Hmmm. I'm a scientist too, I know where you're coming from. But particulalry interviewing at big pharma firms you will be coming up against HR interviewers as well as technical types. You're going to have to be less squeemish about self promotion, I'm afraid. They will expect you to have smooth answers to stock questions.

Also, you should never lie totally anyway. You expand and exagarrate instead.

I'll type some advice up next time I'm at a PC.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 22:52 
Yeah, true it's all about selling yourself, P&G isnt a big pharma comp, but it'll be the same for all big comps with teh same bullshit questions on the applications. Just gotta make sure that there is enough there to get through the initial screening bit before they take people on for interviews etc...
It's just horrendously time consuming and soul destroying to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 13:12 
Unpossible!

nickachu wrote:
I'd probably suspect that to!
Ta! :D

We had some applications lying around our department for novartis, but it wasnt starting til next year, and was for people just going into their final year.... and it was in liverpool...

Interestingly, I live very close to Novartis in Liverpool. So watch it...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 13:20 
Haha! - well the thing at novartis in liverpool didnt start til 2010 I think I'll be well served just applying for normal jobs as well as graduate ones, but the chances of a "golden hello" are a lot less with a normal job :(

I'd rather live and work down south :P

Finished P&G application only for a psychometric test to pop up, along with some other management nonsense. Now we just wait and see how it goes :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 13:22 
Unpossible!

nickachu wrote:
I'd rather live and work down south :P

*Narrows eyes* You're one of 'them' aren't you?

:)

Strangely enough, my bro lives and works in sheffield.

So... watch your back. :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 13:25 
Yes.... Im a big southern fairy :P

I don't mind the north, sheffield is ace, but I'd rather work a little closer to home, although any job will do for now

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 14:19 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Get CV sorted as well as applying for Grad scheme (GRS) jobs. Get the CV out to the likes of SRG, etc. Send off speculative CVs to companies. Getting on a GRS is good, if you can, but everybody else wants to get on them as well, which kinda sucks. There will be a whole host of smaller companies which don't do GRS as such, but will be on the look out for graduates, often via recruitment agencies.

Also, give your formulation skills, send a CV off to Reckitt Benckiser in Hull (yes I know, Hull) but they pay well, and a good company to work for if you can get a permanent role. Try and get on the R&D side as well if you get anywhere. I used to work there so if you need any info, just ask.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 15:34 
Hull? Hull? Hull?!!?!!

Do you suggest sending an email or doing the online app form?

As there is the option for each... or should I do both?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:07 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
When I'm interviewing, I generally only care about four things:
1) That they know what we do - if they can't give me a pretty damned good summary of what the company does I'm not interested
2) That I like them, and they come across as "sharp" (quick answers is a good indicator)
3) They have experience, mainly so I can find out that:
4) Their references are good.

1 is the most important, followed by 4 (we normally talk to their references for quite a while on the phone, so get some good ones).
I'm far more interested in work ethic than skill - you can't teach someone that doesn't show up for work.

Telling them you're only planning on staying for a few years probably wouldn't hurt - three is a better number, I'd say. Don't tell them it's because you don't want their job, after all, you do.

you don't care that if it's a woman, if it has a nice cleavage or not? A friend of mine does interviews and this is one of his top priorities

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 13:46 
RuySan wrote:
you don't care that if it's a woman, if it has a nice cleavage or not? A friend of mine does interviews and this is one of his top priorities

I am neither a woman or have nice cleavage...

Looks like I'm doomed then :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 14:09 
Gogmagog

nickachu wrote:
RuySan wrote:

I am neither a woman nor have nice cleavage...

Looks like I'm doomed then :(

(.)(.)

boobies,.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 19:18 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Didn't someone try to sue Grim... for only hiring the attractive people as dancers, or am I confusing him with a tv show?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You are correct sir, although they sued the night club I worked in, not me personally (although it was me who chose the dancers). And they failed.
As for needing to have a good cleavage, well, I work in IT, so I've only interviewed men ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:20 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
You are correct sir, although the sued the night club I worked in, not me personally. And they failed.

BUT IT WAS MY DREAM YOU BASTARD!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:28 

Grim... wrote:
As for needing to have a good cleavage, well, I work in IT, so I've only interviewed men ;)
I've heard your voicemail message from Hot Scandinavian Different Colour Eyes Girl, and seen her pic. LIES.

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next