Chinny chin chin

Angry villagers see off Google.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2357834.ece

Post subject: Re: Geerr offf moi laaaand
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:16 
PC Gamer

A Luddite wrote:
"How dare anyone take a picture of my house without my consent?"

Is this actually illegal, then? You'd have thought that it was that it might have come up before.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:20 
INFINITE POWAH

Rodafowa wrote:
Is this actually illegal, then?
No. It isn't. But people are all like "yeah, but it'll help burglers know where my house is and plan how to get in" and Google's all like "yeah, whatever. They could do that anyway by walking down the road, you dumb fucks" and they're all like "yeah, but they can plan in advance now thanks to you. When oh when will the BBC realise" and then Google's all like "yeah, well, now we're going to take a photo of your missus pissing behind a car".

Incidentally, what is it with car reg plates being blurred out on Google and elsewhere? We can see them while you're driving around, you know.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:36 
Chinny chin chin

Mr Chris wrote:
Rodafowa wrote:
Is this actually illegal, then?
No. It isn't. But people are all like "yeah, but it'll help burglers know where my house is and plan how to get in" and Google's all like "yeah, whatever. They could do that anyway by walking down the road, you dumb fucks" and they're all like "yeah, but they can plan in advance now thanks to you. When oh when will the BBC realise" and then Google's all like "yeah, well, now we're going to take a photo of your missus pissing behind a car".

I wondered how long it would take Mr Chris to respond to a thread title in his own native language. :DD :DD :DD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Good. No matter how handy it might be, there's no denying that Streetview is fucking intrusive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:11 
Time Out for Fun

I would have thought burglars would use google earth for any planned robberies, since you could plan your entry and escape route and where to put the van if your planning on a big haul.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:12 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Good. No matter how handy it might be, there's no denying that Streetview is fucking intrusive.

True. But we're all free to stand outside people's houses and stare at them. Is this really any different?

Runcle wrote:
I would have thought burglars would use google earth for any planned robberies, since you could plan your entry and escape route and where to put the van if your planning on a big haul.

Or a map.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:13 

Mr Chris wrote:
Grim... wrote:

True. But we're all free to stand outside people's houses and stare at them. Is this really any different?

It's not something that bothers me but I can see how it's a bit different. For a start if you're stood outside someone's house they can see you as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Chris wrote:
Grim... wrote:

You don't think this is any different?

I wonder if there have been any divorces because of Streetview yet?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:15 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Grim... wrote:

It's not something that bothers me but I can see how it's a bit different. For a start if you're stood outside someone's house they can see you as well.

*waves at markg*

Yes, true. But then if you live somewhere where a lot of people walk past, how does it help you that you can see them?

Gah. I dont know. I'm not much a fan of Streetview on privacy grounds, but then I'm not much a fan of poshos in the South East either, and am all for anything that pisses them off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:16 
Sitting balls-back folder

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Angry villagers see off Google.
All together now:
Old Blue Eyes wrote:
You say "angry", I say "deluded fuckmuppets".
Hm, I don't think that scans quite right, yet.

Grim... wrote:
Hm, whatever did happen to - was it Ramsea's? - co-worker?

Still, if you're being obvious enough to get caught by a car taking a photo as it drives past, some might say you either want or deserve to get caught. And possibly shouldn't be doing something that your partner would divorce you over in the first place.

markg wrote:
A black car with a bizarre camera mast on top is even more visible and notable. Than most people.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:20 
Gogmagog

There was something in The Suin about it this week, but I think they were just reading BeeX, as also, in the Guardian the other day there was something about removing excess packaging at Tescos checkouts....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:20 

Grim... wrote:

I think blaming streetview if you get caught cheating is a bit disingenuous really.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:21 

Mr Chris wrote:
Gah. I dont know. I'm not much a fan of Streetview on privacy grounds,

Yes, it's a tough one. Certainly if the lovely Jacqui suggested photographing everyone's property for a Secure Home Office Database (TM) we'd rightly be angry. I think an argument could be made that the difference is that Google only want to make money and that it's up to users to decide what to do with the information (which could be obtained by strolling around town with a camera if you were really bored) but I'm not sure how. Meh. Too complicated for Friday.

Gogmagog

Mr Chris wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Runcle wrote:

Or a map.

A big map. With toy cars on it. And plastic green soldiers.

markg wrote:
disingenuous
Ooh, good word.

Kern wrote:
Yes, it's a tough one. Certainly if the lovely Jacqui suggested photographing everyone's property for a Secure Home Office Database (TM) we'd rightly be angry. I think an argument could be made that the difference is that Google only want to make money and that it's up to users to decide what to do with the information (which could be obtained by strolling around town with a camera if you were really bored) but I'm not sure how. Meh. Too complicated for Friday.
CCTV effectively means quite a few houses are already filmed live 24/7. I don't agree with that particularly, but like with Google we've really no grounds for complaint before I successfully get the privacy rules changed. As it stands, if I can been seen from a public place I can be photographed (so long as it's the scene I'm in being captured, not me, then there would be calls to the police and possible rugby tackling). Also, I don't care. If I've got my cock out/in someone/something I shouldn't have, it's my own fault if I get seen, whatever the means.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:22 
INFINITE POWAH

BikNorton wrote:
markg wrote:
A black car with a bizarre camera mast on top is even more visible and notable. Than most people.

Yeah, but while you may see it when it drives past (if you're in) you won't see the chap casing your house on the internet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:22 

MaliA wrote:
A big map. With toy cars on it. And plastic green soldiers.

It was years before it dawned on me why the government's cartographers are the Ordnance Survey.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:27 

Mr Chris wrote:
Yeah, but while you may see it when it drives past (if you're in) you won't see the chap casing your house on the internet.
You won't see the chap casing your house from right outside it in a lot of cases, especially where the crims are competent enough to actually pull it off.

There's a reason the vertical blinds in our living room open at certain angles.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:28 
INFINITE POWAH

Kern wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Gah. I dont know. I'm not much a fan of Streetview on privacy grounds,

Yes, it's a tough one. Certainly if the lovely Jacqui...

Seriously, just call her up and ask her out. I hear she's having marriage difficulties and so may appreciate the, ahem, attention.
Quote:
... suggested photographing everyone's property for a Secure Home Office Database (TM) we'd rightly be angry. I think an argument could be made that the difference is that Google only want to make money and that it's up to users to decide what to do with the information (which could be obtained by strolling around town with a camera if you were really bored) but I'm not sure how. Meh. Too complicated for Friday

Yeah, true. But either way it's still an intrusion. I guess we're all happier with Big Business knowing stuff about us (Tesco, Nectar cards etc) than we are the government. It's odd that we trust rapacious, unaccountable multinationals more than our own elected rulers, who, despite the cynicism, are surely only doing this shit in a misguided attempt to make things better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:32 

It just struck me that the thread title is technically inaccurate (the best sort of inaccurate). Google aren't on your land.

Ultimately, if you're paranoid enough about criminals casing your joint on the internet to moan to the press (and illegally obstruct a public highway), you should be taking better steps to prevent criminals casing your joint full stop. Big hedges, blinds that don't let you see in/anything valuable without being really obvious, visible elements of an alarm system, good doors and windows, that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:34 

If I was a burglar, I wouldn't use Street View to case the joint because you don't know how old the photo is, nor can you get that much of an idea what's behind and around the house.

Nothing beats on-site reconnaissance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Presumably they can't do streetview on private roads, because in that case they would be on your land? I know they haven't done Canary Wharf, which is private property.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:37 

Mr Chris wrote:
Yeah, true. But either way it's still an intrusion. I guess we're all happier with Big Business knowing stuff about us (Tesco, Nectar cards etc) than we are the government. It's odd that we trust rapacious, unaccountable multinationals more than our own elected rulers, who, despite the cynicism, are surely only doing this shit in a misguided attempt to make things better.

I don't regard street view as personal information so the difference between government and business is in the power that they wield and the voluntary nature of transactions with businesses.

Hibernating Druid

Someone on a Yahoo! bicycle just rode past with a polaroid helmet.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

Craster wrote:
Presumably they can't do streetview on private roads, because in that case they would be on your land? I know they haven't done Canary Wharf, which is private property.
Yes. Hm, in which case Grim... could surely solve the problem immediately with a single phone call!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:38 
PC Gamer

Yeah, I'm totally behind stopping governments/businesses poking their nose into our private lives, but I can't see how one photo taken at some unspecified point in the past of the bit of my house that's visible from the public highway is that big a deal.

At the risk of falling back on the Argument Of Idiots, if privacy is your concern aren't there bigger fish to fry at the moment? What with national databases, ID cards and the increasing prevailance of CCTV?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:39 
Hibernating Druid

GazChap wrote:
Nothing beats on-site reconnaissance.

.., camo gear, nightvision goggles, webbing, and a scoped semi automatic rifle.

UltraMod

Someone tried to break down our rear fence last weekend when we were in London. I reckon they used Street View to see that we had a fence.

INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

I don't regard street view as personal information so the difference between government and business is in the power that they wield and the voluntary nature of transactions with businesses.

Well, the latter isn't true for Streetview. And I was getting at that if the government did a Streetview, as Kern suggested, we'd be much more unhappy with it than we are with Google doing it. Even though the council tax officers, or whoever, could look you up on streetview.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I certainly can't see how Streetview is more intrusive than Google Earth. A view of the front of your property from the public highway versus an aerial view of your back garden?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:41 
Gogmagog

Craster wrote:
I certainly can't see how Streetview is more intrusive than Google Earth. A view of the front of your property from the public highway versus an aerial view of your back garden?

Thank you, Lord Bernstein.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:42 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:

Ah, but is Google Earth a TOOL FOR PAEDOS?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:43 

Mr Chris wrote:
Well, the latter isn't true for Streetview. And I was getting at that if the government did a Streetview, as Kern suggested, we'd be much more unhappy with it than we are with Google doing it.

Would we? I can't think of a single way in which it would make a government more powerful or fundamentally change the relationship between government and citizens. Unlike some of their other proposals.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:45 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Well, the latter isn't true for Streetview. And I was getting at that if the government did a Streetview, as Kern suggested, we'd be much more unhappy with it than we are with Google doing it.

Would we? .

I think the Sun reading majority would, yes.

"GOVERNMENT SENDS SPYCARS DOWN YOUR ROAD!!11!!!! DRIVEN BY FORRINS!!!1!!!1!!!"
Quote:
I can't think of a single way in which it would make a government more powerful or fundamentally change the relationship between government and citizens. Unlike some of their other proposals

I guess not massively different from the over-use of CCTV, and the fact you are constantly in the Government's sight whenever you step foot out of your house.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:47 
Hibernating Druid

Mr Chris, how many other specialist streetview images have you harvested?

INFINITE POWAH

Zardoz wrote:
Mr Chris, how many other specialist streetview images have you harvested?

Heh. All from The Register, who harvest them for you.

PC Gamer

It's pretty massively different from the over-use of CCTV really though, isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:48 

Mr Chris wrote:
I guess not massively different from the over-use of CCTV, and the fact you are constantly in the Government's sight whenever you step foot out of your house.

Massively less worse than CCTV I'd say. That reminds me, I thought I was having some kind of Orwellian nightmare the other week. I walked into Blackpool town centre and suddenly and unexpectedly there was this big booming voice "For your safety and security this area is being monitored by CCTV" and then some stuff about hoping I have a pleasant day.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:50 
Hibernating Druid

CCTV with Gaydar trigger, whatever next?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:52 
INFINITE POWAH

Rodafowa wrote:
It's pretty massively different from the over-use of CCTV really though, isn't it?

Markg wrote:
Massively less worse than CCTV I'd say

Sort of. But not really. I mean, I'd not be bothered, but you can see how the average man on the Clapham omnibus would conflate the two.

Government. Cameras. Looking at you.

Okay, it's not real-time with the streetview, but it'd still be a bit iffy. Why would the government be doing that? Suspicion as to motives would automatically be raised.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:54 

Mr Chris wrote:
Sort of. But not really. I mean, I'd not be bothered, but you can see how the average man on the Clapham omnibus would conflate the two. Government. Cameras. Looking at you.

I thought when you said we would object in your original post I thought you were meaning "we" as in us, the excellent, right-headed people on here in the same way we might object to the Data Communications Bill or ID cards.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:56 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Sort of. But not really. I mean, I'd not be bothered, but you can see how the average man on the Clapham omnibus would conflate the two. Government. Cameras. Looking at you.

I thought when you said we would object in your original post I thought you were meaning "we" as in us, the excellent, right-headed people on here in the same way we might object to the Data Communications Bill or ID cards.

Not really, no. Mind you, thinking about it, I *do* think if, before Google did this, someone posted on here with "the government is going to be sending spycars with cameras down every road in the country" it would raise one or two excellent eyebrows, no? Mine included.

An excellent eyebrow being raised, yesterday:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:58 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Craster wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:59 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Craster wrote:

Was that the property law case about "from the heavens to the centre of the earth"?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:02 
UltraMod

How exactly are Google making money from creating Street View, advertising?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:02 

Mr Chris wrote:
thinking about it, I *do* think if, before Google did this, someone posted on here with "the government is going to be sending spycars with cameras down every road in the country" it would raise one or two excellent eyebrows, no? Mine included.

They would have to justify the expenditure and my reaction would depend entirely on that justification so that's where this hypothetical discussion gets difficult. I can't think of much of a use for it, after all the government already have the facility to do much better than see a one time snapshot of a particular location, they can just send someone out too see it in real time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:03 
Gogmagog

Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Craster wrote:

Was that the property law case about "from the heavens to the centre of the earth"?

Trespass to land. plane flew over, took an aerial photo.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:05 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:

Yeah, that's the one. It limited (or reaffirmed the limitation of) ownership from the old "from the heavens to the centre of the earth" to only a limited height above your property, or something. So trespass could only occur below a certian height, or something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:06 
Gogmagog

Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Craster wrote:

Yeah, that's the one. It limited (or reaffirmed the limitation of) ownership from the old "from the heavens to the centre of the earth" to only a limited height above your property, or something. So trespass could only occur below a certian height, or something like that.

Yeah. Although i'm espottling myself out right now, so couldn't recall the exact bits of it.

Frankly, Fuck you Lord Scott, you knobfaced wanker, you could have made my life so much easier.

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next