Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ] 
 Post subject: Router-me-do
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 21:44 

I need a new wireless router. Does anybody know of any awesome ones that run flawlessly with the Wii and the 360? Oh, and the DS. My current one is a right mess on to get the Wii/DS working with it, plus it's old and shite. Any ideas?

Thanks folks!

Post subject: Re: Router-me-do
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 22:02 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I have a Linksys WAG200G, and it works fine with the Wii wireless*, and the DS wireless (when set to the correct security protocol). Not tried it for wireless 360, but works fine for wired 360. Also works fine for wireless and wired PC.

Also has the advantage of being only £34.

*not actually played too much Wii online, so not talking from massive experience here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 22:18 

Modem/Routers are bloody cheap these days, aren't they. I paid 75 squid for my Speedtouch 580 modem/router 3 years ago. It's dead old now, so I'm obviously not recommending that one though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 22:23 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I own Linksys WRT54GL. Handles 2 Wiis, 2 360s, 3 PCs, and numerous other gadgety bits. Also supports proper QoS, so I can leave a torrent going and Xbox Live traffic will get priority.

It's ace.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:53 
making out to faces of death

I agree with the WRT54GL. It's only a router though, so I have a Linksys ADSL gateway plugged into it. The WRT54GL benefits from http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices as do a number of other devices, which you can see there also.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:44 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Mm, cheers for your advice, also.

I have a wireless D-Link one at the moment, and it's utterly crap. It has a habit of dropping the connection all the time, particularly if you're sending any moderately large files over the network. And it won't let you reconnect until you restart your machine.

Nice to see that they're quite cheap now, too. I always expected to pay over £100 for a decent one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 15:34 

I think I'm going to punch mine today now. It's having an off-day, where it decides to kick me off the network every 10 minutes.

Normally I'd just sod it off and go out, but when I'm stuck working from home on a sunday because of a monumental fuck-up at work, and I need the internet, it makes me ANGRY.

I need a non-angry person to calm me. Where's Comical when you need him?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 15:56 
lazy eye patch

Reaching feebly for a delicious Sunday lunch of soy sauce and tea bags, I would expect.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 16:12 
Hibernating Druid

My Netgear DG834gt wireless router has worked trouble free with my:

2 x wired in G4 Macs
1 wireless MacBook Pro
Wii
Ds

Would defo reco. Probably loads cheaper nowadays than when I bought it too.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 16:26 
Serious Little Beast

I also have a Netgear DG834G (no T, though - it's 54Mb max). Great bit of kit, gets me stupidly fast ADSL connections (I live a stone's throw from the exchange, so I get 8Mb). I streamed the new James Bond trailer at 720p without any buffering delay or interruption.

Connection wise, I have my iMac wired into it, with a few laptops and the Wii both using the Wireless (54Mbps, WPA2-PSK, MAC filtered), haven't hit any problems. Team Fortress 2 (on the bootcamped iMac) gets pings in the 39-48ms range, and Mario Kart on the Wii is as smooth as a baby's bum. The uPnP works fine with Azureus/Transmission, after changing the values a bit.

The DS is a pain in the arse in that you have to completely cripple your security to use it online. On the rare occasion I do bother, I have an old 802.11b Wireless Access Point (also Netgear) which I just plug into the main router.

They're cheap as chips second hand these days, as they're the ones Sky gave out for free. The Sky models come with Sky firmware, but apparently you can just flash the official Netgear stuff over the top and you're laughing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 20:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

For top 360 wireless, you want an A/G compatible wireless router. 'A' makes it go quickly, you see.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:08 
Excellent Painter

jonarob wrote:
I need a new wireless router. Does anybody know of any awesome ones that run flawlessly with the Wii and the 360? Oh, and the DS. My current one is a right mess on to get the Wii/DS working with it, plus it's old and shite. Any ideas?

Thanks folks!

Bah, I came rushing in expecting a fascinating discourse on powertools and woodcutting and you're all talking about bloody pootahs! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:23 
Excellently Membered

I've been through 6 Linksys routers and all they all failed for one reason or another. My Netgear so far is thee best thing I've had. Been going for an age too. DG834G is what I got! Runs everything I've had well. Although I'm too cheap to get a 360 wireless unit. But my old Wii used to run fine on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:24 

Conversely my Netgear had a spaz attack and lost all ADSL ability within 18 months of buying it. My current gubbins have been running well for longer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:46 
Gogmagog

I have a ZyXEL router. This laptop (with built in wireless) connects to it all the time, no problems, as does the Wii and the 360 is wired in. However, my PC upstairs does not stay connected for very long at all through wireless which is rubbish although I suspect it is more due to my computer and the USB aerial thing that it came with than anyting else.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:24 

I had a second router with WRT-DD installed for upstairs, for that reason- my big old PC plugged into it with a cable, and it was set as a wireless bridge to downstairs where the main router was. I changed some setting somewhere which broke it though, and my Macbook Pro connects fine from upstairs so I didn't bother any more. But for £30 or so it's a handy way to improve or provide wireless to more stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 0:02 
baron of techno

I just got a Netgeat DG834G (v3) as per the recommendations above, to replace my tired old 3com router.

It's great! Set it up in 2 minutes flat and it seems to be "just working".
edit: 'kinell, it's fast - nearly a meg faster ADSL sync 8)

However. I did have some slightly tricky arrangement with the ports, i.e. forwarding to different ports on the server.

This router doesn't appear to do forwarding, it'll only do 80->80 for example :'( Someone please tell me I'm mistaken and that it does, actually?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:03 
Chinny chin chin

No idea about Wii's or Sony GXStation 450's, but I recently purchased a Draytek 2820n which usually retails for about £150 + VAT. I also added high gain aerials to ensure maximum coverage and CRUSH ALL RIVAL NETWORKS.

Expensive? Yes. But it's bloody great.

The only pity is that it's kept next to the ADSL line in another room so I can't behold it's splendid looks and flashing lights. Bah.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:13 
Excellent Member

Might have to try one of these, any idea on a good price. My BT home hub(!) has started being very poor with XBOX live as of late.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:45 
baron of techno

I was thinking of trying that one Chinny, but the netgear was only 20 quid delivered compared to 150 :)

It really doesn't do port forwarding to other ports though, so I changed the service on the server to use the port I want in the first place.

However before I thought of that I panicked and "bought it now" a WRT54GL as well. So that's on the way but I don't really need it now. Anyone WANT?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:55 
Excellent Member

Yoink! Just bought one of those Netgears for 15 squids. Here's hoping it's relatively easy to set up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:06 
baron of techno

markh wrote:
Yoink! Just bought one of those Netgears for 15 squids. Here's hoping it's relatively easy to set up.

2 minutes :) It's a very good interface and has a help panel on the right hand side that explains all the options.

As for wifi, so far it's worked OK but it only has one aerial. I'm going to check whether the range is as good as the old one tonight.

I upgraded mine to whatever.40 as well last night, that seemed to go OK although I didn't notice any new features.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:48 
Excellent Member

I have a D-Link and works flawlessly with the Wii and the DS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:57 
Chinny chin chin

kalmar wrote:
I was thinking of trying that one Chinny, but the netgear was only 20 quid delivered compared to 150 :)

You have to remember that the Draytek is more of a SME product that has just as much in common with low end Cisco gear as it does with a Netgear. I know one business that uses Ciscos for its larger offices but Drayteks for the small offices.

It does have alot of neat features but you have to ask yourself if you need it. I've had it 5 months and the only time it's been reset was for a firmware upgrade. It just sits there and works.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:14 
baron of techno

chinnyhill10 wrote:
kalmar wrote:

You have to remember that the Draytek is more of a SME product that has just as much in common with low end Cisco gear as it does with a Netgear.

I can justify it and I was tempted - if I'd been pushed into it a couple of weeks ago I would have paid the money happily as I was trying to get rid of it before the end of the tax year.. But sadly it's all gone now.

I'm hoping the Netgear will sit there and "just work" too rather than needing resetting about 3 times a week like the old one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:26 
Excellent Member

My BT homehub was superb with XBOX live till a few weeks ago, then all of a sudden it slowed to an awful awful crawl. Reset it up, and fiddled with the limited settings you can alter on the router itself but no joy, odd thing is it seemsed to continue to work fine with wii/ps3. For fifteen quid, its worth trying the netgear.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:28 
baron of techno

I've got a couple of homehubs if anyone wants one, one with dect phone, one without.

Also will be selling the WRT54GL, unless I can think of another use for it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

kalmar wrote:
However before I thought of that I panicked and "bought it now" a WRT54GL as well. So that's on the way but I don't really need it now. Anyone WANT?

Price me!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:50 

Grim... wrote:
kalmar wrote:

Price me!
I'd be interested too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:51 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
You have to remember that the Draytek is more of a SME product that has just as much in common with low end Cisco gear as it does with a Netgear. I know one business that uses Ciscos for its larger offices but Drayteks for the small offices. It does have alot of neat features but you have to ask yourself if you need it. I've had it 5 months and the only time it's been reset was for a firmware upgrade. It just sits there and works.
We use a Draytek in work, and in my last place one of our sidelines was running ADSL lines into travel agents and they used Drayteks exclusively for that. They are great products.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
kalmar wrote:

Price me!
I'd be interested too.

Back off, Gaywood! I saw it first!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:57 
baron of techno

I paid 40 plus overpriced post, but it would be good to get the same for the unit - 44 total say?

It is used but I'll plug it in and check it works when I get it, which should be today.

edit: gone! :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 13:19 
Excellent Member

Help!
I got it and tried to plug it in direct, lights light up but no likey! Disc with it is to install AOL - no thanks!
I am dim at network set up and the netgear product page is sheeit for me.
Any suggestions welcome perlease!

kalmar wrote:
markh wrote:

2 minutes :) It's a very good interface and has a help panel on the right hand side that explains all the options.

As for wifi, so far it's worked OK but it only has one aerial. I'm going to check whether the range is as good as the old one tonight.

I upgraded mine to whatever.40 as well last night, that seemed to go OK although I didn't notice any new features.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 13:24 

Stupid router thread. Mine (WRT54GS) decided to drop the net connection half-way through reading this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 14:17 
baron of techno

markh wrote:
Help!
I got it and tried to plug it in direct, lights light up but no likey! Disc with it is to install AOL - no thanks!
I am dim at network set up and the netgear product page is sheeit for me.
Any suggestions welcome perlease!

Plug it into your PC with an ethernet cable.

Now hold the reset button in until the power light flashes rapidly. Once it stops flashing, go to 192.168.0.1 in your web browser.

Login with "admin" and "password"

Then look at the "basic settings" page which is where you put in your username and password for your ADSL connection. You have those written down somewhere right?

Once that's in, press apply (or test) and see whether you have internet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 14:24 
Excellent Member

Cowabunga! I haz the internet!

Can now play Streetfighter 4 without it crashing every 5 seconds! Doesn't seem to like the PS3 though!

Thanks for that, this was a bundled with AOL one, and there was literally no instructions on how to access the router unless you faniced installing AOL....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 14:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

markh wrote:
Doesn't seem to like the PS3 though!

Ask it if it wants to join the forum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 14:31 
baron of techno

markh wrote:
Cowabunga! I haz the internet!

Can now play Streetfighter 4 without it crashing every 5 seconds! Doesn't seem to like the PS3 though!

Thanks for that, this was a bundled with AOL one, and there was literally no instructions on how to access the router unless you faniced installing AOL....

:D Mine helpfully had the default IP address and password on the sticker underneath..

Glad it's up and running!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 14:41 
Excellent Member

Yeah, much appreciated, mine didn't have that.

Quick google search reveals that this version is notoriously tricksy to connect to a PS3. Firmware upgrade here we go...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 18:17 
Excellent Member

Another query - any good guides to port forwarding on the xbox 360, tried a couple - have now set a static IP on my computer and the ports are open, yet i still have a moderate rating???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 18:51 
baron of techno

Where's the rating show up on the 360? Never noticed it..

Try switching on "DMZ server" in the WAN page, and put in the address of your 360, see if it makes any difference. I'm not sure if this will help or if it's a really bad idea though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 18:53 
Where are you?

Whomper wrote:
I also have a Netgear DG834G

My one of those made a nasty BZZZTTT! noise one day and died. Since I didn't have a car and needed to get something immediately, I had to grab something from the local Argos and got a Belkin N1. Bad mistake. The N1 is a fucking disaster, despite its stupid flashing display.

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]