Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
 Post subject: There is a lack of of murmurations
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 16:22 
Isn't that lovely?

I tried to keep the murmuration numbers up last year, but I was hoping that someone would take on my mantle.

No one has

:(

Malc

Post subject: Re: There is a lack of of murmurations
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 16:23 

What's a murmuration, Malc? A murmured something? What would you like murmered?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 16:24 

Do you do it like this?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 16:24 

Or by writing in grey?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 16:25 
UltraMod

I could start signing my name at the bottom of every post, if that helps.

myp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 16:25 
INFINITE POWAH

I have no idea what this is about.

Malc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 16:29 

We murmurated with the bishop all last night.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 16:30 
Unpossible!

Mur`mur`a´tion
n.1. The act of murmuring; a murmur.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 16:32 
Skillmeister

It was murmur on the dancefloor.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 16:35 
Unpossible!

"Murmur"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 16:35 
Hibernating Druid

Mur-mur-mur, how do you like it, how do you like it?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 16:46 
baron of techno

Is this a "probably galaga, but" thing?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 17:48 
Honey Boo Boo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 18:23 
Sleepyhead

One does not simply walk into murmur.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 19:07 
Peculiar, yet lovely

This was no accident: This was murmur.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 19:53 
Honey Boo Boo

Murmur most horrid!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 19:53 
Excellent Painter

It's somewhere near Swansea...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 19:58 
Honey Boo Boo

A murmur, yesterday.*

*extremely tenuous joke warning

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 22:05 
Kindly deeds done for free

By the way, my name is Max. I take care of both of them which ain't easy, 'cos when they met... it was MOIMER.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 0:50 
Excellent Member

I've got a heart murmur.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 0:57 
Time Out for Fun

murmur on the dance floor!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:04 
Sleepyhead

Runcle wrote:
murmur on the dance floor!

BZZT! REPEAT!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:06 
Time Out for Fun

murmur mia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:18 
What-ho, chaps!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:24 
Isn't that lovely?

You're All Bastards!

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:31 
Isn't that lovely?

I meant this type of Murmuration.

SWAM on UKQUake circa 1997 Snail Joke 16 wrote:
With the oncoming independence in artificial realities the social community as we know it will cease to exist,as the artificial reality will replace the actual existence, that we all live in, and around. Therefore the artficial realities must not be able to begin and envelop the world we are all living in today.

If you do a search on a computer for a file named 'gouseface' you aint gonna find it because it doesnt exist and wont exist until i have made it up, and ftp'd it to your personal computer , therefore adding 'gouseface' to your own personal computer space and enabling you to do a file search and find the forementioned file. All the people around have gathered at venue in the heart of to discuss the main problems and reason of the modern day virus the convention is mainly for snails but a few other snails have been allowed in.

The setting for the 2nd annual convention of viruses is a lovely villa in the heart of new york, with the architecture being so fine and the atmosphere growing greater by the day, the gardens have been furnished and kept by our lovely greenkeeper wideload, with his determination to follow the rules that he made up. A tall snail stood up and welcomed evry1 to the latest convention "this is the 2nd annual convention on virueses we hope you enjoy your stay, can i help you?"...he reciieived a standing ovation for 234 mins he had previously left the building before the convention begun by a smaller
secret tunnel. "I woudl like to welcome onto the stage the number one researcher into todays and yesterday's virus's you know his name, i dont but i think you do, because you think i do,i therefore think you already do, so i welcome to the stage .....ZARTan...." behind the speaker a huge temple appears and molten rock pours down the stage onto a balcony full of ize
creating a smokescreen for his escape.

The smoek has cleared and zartan sits astride a huge bonvil (which is a house's version of chair) next to him on both sides of his person are mouse's with cats face, to his back are dogs with mouse's faces, and to his direct front is car's, a snail raises hsi hand to ask a question on viruse's " Mr. Zartan with the new viruses that are released into the worldwide community every day what programs or solution do you have to combat this problem?"....zartan prepares to speak 79,000,000 dinosaurs run behind him creating a smoke screen for thee release.""" I have a **NEW** program for destroying evry single virus before it is even releaed the nam eof the program is" the crowd of snails hold all of there breaths......" the name of my newest program is double 0 double p elevon4 it is amazing and it is better than all of your programs even
when they are running parallel to mine, the viruses i have destroyed already today are :

Solypuly 89
caldog6
mousehat *
relopyface2
sugarbox8

"with these viruses destroyed the future of home entertainment is safe ans i name myself as the saviour"

The crowd errupt into a huge standing ovation every 1 and i mean every1 is standing up and clapping the ovation is so huge every 1 has stood up. A snail raises his hand among the generous raptuos applause "SPEAK AGAIN" roars zaRTan...."I hav ejust been faxed by you superiors they have told me that a new load of viruses have been released onto the
market and even these cannot be stopped by your amazing virus prevention system...these include "

[*]game lord 7 : sends ice and sand towards upper russia destroying crops.
[*][supehouseface] : the most deadly virus it can create loads of rush that falls onto yor house and eats its way through your arse.
[*]P .o.13:10 zm : a standard pilon virus twice as big as before.
[*]essential roading : a car virus that fight sits ways into a car vehicle and eats its way through.
[*]sandbrickdustcake : Destroys your hardrive before you have had a chance teardrop every1 u can think of who 'could' be sendin it to you with the use of a rats electric switch.
[*]s'gnilrats : this virus can physically exist without a set realm needed to begin the onslaught u really dont fuckin need this.

what do u say zaRtan ?"

ZARTAN THINKS for 773 years " i can destroy all of you "

"DIEEEEEEeEEEEeEEEEeEEeEEEEeEEEeEeEEeEeEE zartan JuMPS OUT OF HSI SKIN AND pours gnilrats virus over every1......a snail sees the virus dor what it is : "s'gnilrats aghhh it starling's backward..the onslaught ensues starlings are everywhere , they crush speakers, chase the cats with house's face's, walk through vendin machine's?,catch all of the dinosaur's, corner evry single snail then they,,,,crack open they're shells and eat them.

SWAM

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:39 
What-ho, chaps!

SILENCE.

You're fired.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

She wrote:
murmur

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:29 
Unpossible!

Oh! You mean, like this?

E-learning modules, followed by live, classroom time; on-the-job practice; and on-demand support for just-in-time updates. Yada, yada, yada.

But companies are catching on that blended means more today than merely having the various modes of delivery in place. It means taking blended to the next level, including better integration and organization of learning offerings. E-volving Approach At Cisco Systems, the blended approach to learning has evolved steadily over the last five years, says Director of World Wide Learning Michelle Marquard, beginning with the launch of the company's initiative, Cisco University. The program allowed the company's decentralized training structure, in which each department had its own training function, to organize to enhance the curriculum. But there was work to do. "The university allowed for all of the functional communities to come together under one aggregated umbrella," Marquard explains. "But while the [centralized] corporate environment provided some technology services, we didn't press far beyond a Web 1.0 experience."

The problem was the blended offerings didn't follow any overarching learning strategy, she says. "Cisco University was a Website that acted as an aggregator," Marquard points out, "but it didn't deliver with it a point of view about how learning should be constructed." In other words, courses in the early days of Cisco University didn't go beyond traditional, prerecorded e-learning modules and standard class time. Then something began to change. The company began adding learning tools such as Safari Books Online, an electronic repository of books in which employees can search not only for specific titles, but particular nuggets of information.

The company also is revving up its blended regimen with the addition of social learning platforms. In February 2009, Cisco will offer employees an interactive Intranet portal called "My Learning Network," which Marquard describes as a corporate learning parallel to the Website, Facebook. "You might go into this network, and you might look for an expert," she says, explaining how the new tool will work, "and when you find that expert, you also would find the things they've put on their own bookshelf. You start to take advantage of the people who participate in the process, and so learning becomes a social space that may be inclusive of traditional learning, but that's not how it's defined."

Indeed, the latest blended learning offers a mix of traditional, structured training and spontaneous moments of learning, says Dennis Kilian, vice president and learning evangelist for Safari Books Online. It is those unplanned-for moments, when you suddenly realize you need the latest information about what you're working on, that modern blended learning must address. "When people are looking for something that's cutting edge, when you go to an e-learning course you might find a six-month, or even a year-long, lag between the time the course is developed and when it becomes available," says Kilian. "So, it's the more immediate information, and it's the blend between formal and informal, and how to merge the particular advantages of both so it works to your benefit."

In addition to using modern social networking tools for on-demand support, the company is trying to be more innovative in its approach to structured courses such as its management education series, "Management 101," a foundational program for management development that "represents a fundamental transition in the way we approach manager development at Cisco," says Marquard. The company used to offer managers seven courses that were kept separate from one another. Now the curriculum is bundled into one overarching class, filled with smaller, connected pieces. "We've transitioned to an integrated approach," she notes, explaining that each week for the first nine weeks of the course, a different piece of what managers need to know is covered online. But the e-learning includes mastery tests to ensure knowledge retention has occurred, multimedia exercises, case studies to participate in, and weekly facilitated online dialogue. And that's just phase 1 of the program. Phase 2 features a four-day residency program in which participants are together in a live class to reinforce and build on what they learned during the first nine weeks. Phase 3 brings the manager's leader into the mix, with the manager learning with in-class participation from his or her supervisor. At the conclusion of the program, the manager is given a 360-feedback evaluation. "Once we've gone through the data gathering and analysis, we work with them on the interpretation of that 360, and go forward toward a development plan," says Marquard. "So part of the embedded message here is when you step into a management role at Cisco, while we have a program solution, we're asking you--even as you exit that solution--to be organizing around a development strategy that's year-long."

With in-house corporate social networking in the works for early next year, and multifaceted, updated management training already underway, Cisco still sees room for blended improvement over the next few years. "There's an opportunity," says Marquard, "where the learner sits at the center of this universe, and a combination of social networking practices, social learning theory, and traditional learning live in an environment that is cooperative and integrated." "New-Fangled" Approaches Heading in a new direction to offer a richer, more diverse learning program sometimes means forcing employees out of their comfort zone. Such was the case at Gilbane Inc., a building and development company. Its workforce was more than happy with good, old reliable classroom lessons, and saw no need to add multimedia glitz to the mix, says Diane Fasching, director of Gilbane University. She says that when the company conducted a needs analysis and learning methodologies survey in preparation for the launch of its university eight years ago, its employees' preferences were clear. "It came back with, 'We love instructor-led learning, and don't give us any of these new-fangled approaches,'" Fasching remembers. "We struggled with that."

It took an initiative from the CEO that mandatory sexual harassment prevention training must be online for the company's workers to take a stab at e-learning. "People realized it wasn't as ominous as it sounded," she says, "it was interesting, and we actually had a lot of offerings online. That sort of propelled us to use various tools." Those various tools are a long way from the blended basics the company started with, says Don L. Michaels, an instructional designer at Gilbane. By 2004, the learning professionals at Gilbane, and their learners, were so accustomed to the online/classroom mix that the company decided to design its own online modules to accompany a new course in change management. The eight-hour, in-person class, which details how to use J.D. Edwards (JDE) project management accounting software, features a two-hour online prerequisite module on the principals of change management. The live class puts those principles in action by giving employees hypothetical project management scenarios to work through using the software. Gilbane also added what it calls "hover help," a performance support system to guide users of the software through their data entry. "It helps them understand why they're doing something, or what they should do," says Fasching, "so after the class they can refer back to it." That means "every time they go into the application," says Michaels, "is a learning opportunity because the hover help is there."

And that was just the company's blended learning "Renaissance" era, says Michaels of the launch of its self-designed change management training. Today--or what Michaels refers to as Gilbane's modern era of blended learning--Webinars, which often take the place of in-person class time, round out the training equation. The use of these live Web sessions, which the company is enabled to host due to the partnership its Learning Management System (LMS) vendor, Mzinga, has with Web conferencing provider iLinc, has prompted an update of many of the company's classes. Introductory courses such as "Introduction to Project Administration" and "Introduction to Contracts" now deliver part of the curriculum via interactive Webinar. "You get a chance to apply some of the knowledge you learned," says Michaels, "to ask questions, and really to just process everything."

The use of Webinars as yet another piece of the blended learning pie also gives a boost to newer training initiatives. When the company needed to train dispersed teams of workers on how to conduct constructability reviews in which Gilbane brings a builder's perspective to the architectural design, it turned to Webinars. The company presented workers with a series of four Webinars, requiring in the middle of the series that teams of learners complete an offline simulation of a constructability review. After completion of the exercise, the employees returned online to discuss the results. For ongoing support, the company launched a constructability review portal for workers to post future review results, "which provided for continuous knowledge sharing," says Michaels. "Any time they did a review for real, after they did the training, they would post the results, so the other teams in the other geographic regions could leverage it."

The high-level, multifaceted approach Gilbane has grown into mirrors a transition being made by an increasing number of companies. Christopher Crosby, CEO of learning provider TMA World, notes that the companies he works with want to deliver more than just pre- and post-classroom e-learning assignments. "We're seeing many more interventions in the form of action-learning projects and team-based assessments where the learning is based around an intact team that's working on a specific project," Crosby says. The key, he adds, is thinking about the delivery tools you've been relying on in a new way. "In the e-learning component, try to think of elements other than pure instruction," he advises, "things such as learning aids, job aids, and other resources that can be built into the e-learning environment, whether that's in an LMS environment or in another application that's delivering your learning."

As up to date as Gilbane's blended learning regimen has become, the company doesn't forget it isn't about technical bells and whistles. "Decide on the delivery method that best serves your learning need," Michaels says, "rather than just running with something because it's the latest thing." Improvement Impetus For fresh food company Chiquita, raising the ante on blended learning was part of a push to improve its performance management, says Director of Talent Management Jennifer Creed. "We needed to launch a new performance management system within Chiquita globally, and at the same time we were trying to improve the communication on our new strategy," she explains.

The company, which partnered with Root Learning and Advantage Performance Group to make the necessary changes, introduced learning maps, designed by Root, to its workforce along with accompanying e-learning modules. The first map, Creed explains, visually represents the company's strategy so employees are able to see the business opportunities that need to be developed for Chiquita to reach its goals. The second map focuses on the new performance management system, Perform to Grow, a process that outlines how employees can contribute to achieving the aims of the strategy.

In addition to e-learning modules that allow employees to practice the tools and steps within Perform to Grow, the online component of the program features an interactive tool kit. The tools, which include, for instance, a sample performance review, can be called instantly to the screen to aid a stumped worker, or can be downloaded and printed out for ongoing support as job aids. Onscreen visuals in the e-learning replicate the learning maps, and employees also are given a miniature, laminated fold-out job aid to take back to their cubicles or offices after the session is over. "We're trying to restart our learning and development globally," says Creed, "and we knew going at it from a blended perspective would be the right way to do it because of the flexibility and scalability we needed, and the variety of learning experiences we wanted to provide."

That said, "the more you integrate blended learning, the more complex it does become," Creed says. Namely, she says you need to carefully evaluate the IT infrastructure across your organization to ensure it has the capacity to deliver your new and improved blended learning program.

Chiquita needed to accommodate offices in Central America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe that don't have the technical capabilities of its North American or European offices. To get around the slow Internet connections these employees work with, Creed and her team burned the "Perform to Grow" e-learning and tool kit material onto CD-ROMs for them. The company also was challenged by its lack of an LMS. To get around that difficulty, it signed on with a software-as-a-service provider that hosts a learning platform for the company.

The performance management improvement process encompassing all these changes, "Perform to Grow," represents the company's first foray into custom e-learning. Already practiced in delivering off-the-shelf solutions, Chiquita felt that to offer employees a sophisticated blended regimen, it required something designed especially to meet its needs--and that of its workforce. So far the response from the 1,500 workers globally who have experienced the maps and accompanying e-learning has been positive, Creed notes, "We've gotten fantastic feedback." Visit http://www.trainingmag.com/elearning to read "Obviously Online: E-Learning Done Right."

Right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 13:05 
UltraMod

I'm deeming this thread non-canon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 13:07 
INFINITE POWAH

I would like an explanation before I have to start banning people getting even more confused.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 13:11 
Comfortably Dumb

Mr Chris wrote:
I would like an explanation before I have to start banning people getting even more confused.

Tsk. Pay attention

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 13:12 
INFINITE POWAH

I... what?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 13:16 
baron of techno

Excellent Malc! Is that the last one?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 14:45 
Isn't that lovely?

kalmar wrote:
Excellent Malc! Is that the last one?

yes

:(

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 14:46 
Gogmagog

Let's not bother with it, eh?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 14:47 
INFINITE POWAH

Mali - do you need us to chip in for a hooker? Or are you going to cheer up of your own accord?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 17:22 
Quality Polis

Mr Chris wrote:
Mali - do you need us to chip in for a hooker? Or are you going to cheer up of your own accord?

Never mind all that. There's been a murmur!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 17:26 
baron of techno

Jim Taggart wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

Never mind all that. There's been a murmur!

284 bananas.

500 bananas were deducted due to the elaborate lengths you went to.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 17:28 
Awesome
Yes

Even the profile has the right web site!

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]