Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ghosts and Physics
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:14 
Legendary Boogeyman

I was thinking last night about how the basic laws of physics are seldom applied to the problems of ghosts. Now, I am no physics buff, so some of what I say will be most probably wrong, but I'm keen to chat it out.

If a ghost were to exist, it would need to have matter so that light could reflect off it. If a ghost has no matter, it would be impossible to see it.

Which brings me to the second question - if a ghost is made up of matter, what form does it take? Solid, liquid, or gas? The most likely state would be gas, however:

Any gas is susceptable to brownian motion, being buffeted as it is by oxygen molecules. ghosts are said to be 'wavery' in apperance, so I suppose this would hold.

BUT:

If ghosts can apparently pass through solid objects, they cannot be gas. Walls are doors are not sufficiently permeable to allow it.

The alternative is that ghosts are made up of some form of energy, which allow them to be seen assuming they were some kind of light-emitting, errr, stuff (this is where my knowlege falls short), although it occurs to me that if they were any form of energy, such energy would be bound to instantly diffuse to the surrounding atmosphere, dispelling them in an instant.

With these basic contradictions in mind, how can ghosts possibly exist? It would require a very unscientific belief that ghosts somehow transcend the universally observed and hitherto unbroken laws of physics. And how likely is that? Not very, I say.

Post subject: Re: Ghosts and Physics
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Presumably it would have to be some form of energy that is kept cohesive by some limiting factor. The same idea as using magnetic fields to hold plasma in a fixed position, or something.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:16 
baron of techno

You need to do an experiment. Get a ghost, and see if it floats in water. If so, burn it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:16 
Skillmeister

Plasma is also a matter state, loike.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:17 
UltraMod

You'd have to dry it out again before you burnt it, or it'd wouldn't catch.

What about if it didn't float?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:17 
baron of techno

If it doesn't float, burn it.

Also, gas usually can permeate through most building materials.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:19 
Legendary Boogeyman

kalmarzipan wrote:

Eventually, perhaps, walls are not air-tight, but at the same time it wouldn't be possible to observe a cloud of gas pass through something ostensibly 'solid' and continue on its way.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:19 
Hibernating Druid

Are you trying to catch santa?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:21 
Full of plumptiousness

I don't believe in ghosts. Or God. Or fairies. I wish I did though, life would be a more exciting, although sometimes unpredictably terrifying, if all that magic stuff was real.

We could all be trapped inside some kind of computing device that uses human experience as a means to solve grand galactic problems, and someone seeing a ghost could be 'carrying a 1' or something.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:23 

I would presume that, were ghosts to exist, they'd have to be some form of energy rather than matter. Generally it seems only some people claim to be able to see them and not others - similarily many people claim their dogs and cats can pick up on spooky shenanigans that us humans do not. So presumably some form of radiation or something that only some people are able to pick up on.

You can tell I didn't really pay attention in Physics, can't you?

Skillmeister

Where's Lave when you need him? He's off swanning around with his new doctor friends, that's what he's doing, instead of telling us whether ghosts can float in a wall of water and plasma or something.

baron of techno

ComicalGerald wrote:
kalmarzipan wrote:

Eventually, perhaps, walls are not air-tight, but at the same time it wouldn't be possible to observe a cloud of gas pass through something ostensibly 'solid' and continue on its way.

That is certainly true.

But what if a localised gravity anomaly altered the air density, causing water vapour to form into mist?!?!1
[/pseudoscience mode]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:24 
baron of techno

Is that how plasma TVs work then?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:25 
Full of plumptiousness

You just need to clean your glasses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:26 
Legendary Boogeyman

EMF detectors are usually sold as 'Ghost detectors', which makes no sense to me. Ghosts would have to somehow emit an elctro-magnetic field. What could this source of this be? Fields don't exist in mid-air without a source.

No such thing as gravitational anomolies kalmar ;)

baron of techno

Hughle Log wrote:
You just need to clean your glasses.

Wait, this isn't ectoplasm!

Dimrill wrote:
Where's Lave when you need him? He's off swanning around with his new doctor friends, that's what he's doing, instead of telling us whether ghosts can float in a wall of water and plasma or something.

Last I heard, he was moaning about how this 'Ecto-containment system' he and a colleague had come up with was going to 'cost a load of bread to capitalise'. He was wondering where he was going to get the money.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:27 
Skillmeister

Well I did see Bob Monkhouse's Wipeout on TV the other day. He's dead.

What about if ghosts are made of this Biggs Hosen Behoosen Aroond Me Hoosen quark thing that CERn were trying to glimpse?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:27 

If you must persist in attempting to rationally explain ghosts, you're better off considering them as being something that interfers with your senses rather than a literal physical phenomenon.

None of the laws of physics I learned allow for such things to exist, so unless they've added some new laws lately it's quite likely there is no such thing as ghosts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:29 
Skillmeister

Doc has a point. Ghosts are caused by Shitbox Quarks plummeting from the Sun, bouncing off the moon and flipping your yampy switch to "on".

Hibernating Druid

How do you explain Jimmy Saville then?

Paws for thought

Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
None of the laws of physics I learned allow for such things to exist, so unless they've added some new laws lately it's quite likely there is no such thing as ghosts.

The question is, would you consider the laws of physics you learned to be anywhere near complete?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:30 
Hibernating Druid

Ghosts come from that big black planet that's behind the stars.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:30 
Legendary Boogeyman

Well, it somewhat miffs me that people would 'believe' in ghosts while also accepting the laws of physics to be true, universal, and unchanging. Since the two are seemingly in conflict you either need to come up with a rational explanation with some convincing empirical evidence, or admit you're a doddery-headed muppet that believes in bobbins. Bobbins!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:31 
baron of techno

ComicalGerald wrote:
EMF detectors are usually sold as 'Ghost detectors', which makes no sense to me. Ghosts would have to somehow emit an elctro-magnetic field. What could this source of this be? Fields don't exist in mid-air without a source.

Weel, they sort of can, the source might not be obvious though. You might have HV cables or transformers nearby for example. Weather conditions can give you high electrostatic fields.

Quote:
No such thing as gravitational anomolies kalmar ;)

But they mentioned it in Star Trek! 8o

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:32 
Skillmeister

LAVE! What was it I saw once about the speed of light having changed over the billions of years since bangy bang? Something that this so called constant used to calculate most of everything wasn't actually that constant at all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:32 
baron of techno

Zio-lent Night wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Last I heard, he was moaning about how this 'Ecto-containment system' he and a colleague had come up with was going to 'cost a load of bread to capitalise'. He was wondering where he was going to get the money.

He needs to be careful about teh beams and crossing them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:34 

Mr Dave wrote:
Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
The question is, would you consider the laws of physics you learned to be anywhere near complete?
No, I will admit that happily, and you are right to point out I am being flippant. However I contend that if the dead really can contact us from the afterlife, this is the by several orders of magnitude the most important discovery mankind has ever made; it would rewrite the science, philosophy, and theological landscape at a stroke. So why is it still the stuff of circus sideshows, and why has no-one ever claimed James Randi's $1mill prize for demonstrating any metaphysical phenomenon under lab conditions?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:36 
baron of techno

Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
why has no-one ever claimed James Randi's $1mill prize for demonstrating any metaphysical phenomenon under lab conditions?

Beakers repel ghosts. All labs have beakers. Therefore no metaphysical activity can ever take place in a lab.

And retort stands.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:37 
Skillmeister

kalmarzipan wrote:
Beakers repel ghosts.

Balls. If that were true, why is he always so scared?

That Rev Chap

1. Define "ghost".

2. Define "real".

3. ?????

4. Profit.

Legendary Boogeyman

Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
why has no-one ever claimed James Randi's $1mill prize for demonstrating any metaphysical phenomenon under lab conditions?

Probably because ghosts are about as feisable as receiving messages from the future on a BBC computer:

Quote:
In 1984–87, Ken Webster in Dodleston, UK, purported to be in contact with someone called Tomas Harden from the 16th century, along with other characters including some claiming to be from the future, one of them being known as 2109 (or 2105). The messages are purported to have been left — somehow through the space-time continuum — on a humble BBC Model B fitted with an Acorn DFS upgrade. They were found on the editing screen of the ROM-based word processor EDWORD and within EDWORD files created on disk (or appended to them). Ken detailed the curious case in his now out-of-print book The Vertical Plane [1989 Grafton Books, ISBN 0-586-20476-8], two episodes of a BBC 1 documentary series presented by Carol Vorderman [Out Of This World, 20 August 1996 & 27 August 1996 and in a Fortean Times article, The Vertical Plane - FT108.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:40 

kalmarzipan wrote:
Beakers repel ghosts. All labs have beakers. Therefore no metaphysical activity can ever take place in a lab.
This is very close to what some psychics have claimed when pushed to undertake tests under lab conditions. Along the same lines, audiophiles will refuse to double-blind test £1k speaker wires against bell wire, claiming that double-blind tests are "stressful" in some way that obscures the music. When you trick them into double-blind tests, they can't tell the difference between Monster Cables and coat hangers.

It's all just the same snake oil in different bottles. Going back to psychics, the Youtube videos someone here posted of Richard Dawkins interviewing Derren Brown that talk about cold reading techniques are very interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:40 
Hibernating Druid

The Rev Snowen wrote:
1. Define "ghost".

2. Define "real".

3. ?????

4. Prophet.

FeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEeeeeeeexxxxxxxxx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:43 
Skillmeister

Yampy switch:
wah wah wiki wiki woo woo wrote:
Some researchers, such as Professor Michael Persinger (Laurentian University, Canada), have speculated that changes in geomagnetic fields (created, e.g., by tectonic stresses in the Earth's crust or solar activity) could stimulate the brain's temporal lobes and produce many of the experiences associated with hauntings. This theory has been tested in various ways. Some scientists have examined the relationship between the time of onset of unusual phenomena in allegedly haunted locations and any sudden increases in global geomagnetic activity. Others have investigated whether the location of alleged hauntings is associated with certain types of magnetic activity. Finally, a third strand of work has involved laboratory studies in which stimulation of the temporal lobe with transcerebral[clarification needed] magnetic fields has elicited subjective experiences that strongly parallel phenomena associated with hauntings.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:44 

Hmm, that makes very little sense. The Earth's magnetic field is millions of times weaker than the one you are subjected to when you go for a CAT scan, so why don't those people see ghosts all the time?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:45 
Paws for thought

Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
No, I will admit that happily, and you are right to point out I am being flippant. However I contend that if the dead really can contact us from the afterlife, this is the by several orders of magnitude the most important discovery mankind has ever made; it would rewrite the science, philosophy, and theological landscape at a stroke. So why is it still the stuff of circus sideshows, and why has no-one ever claimed James Randi's $1mill prize for demonstrating any metaphysical phenomenon under lab conditions?

Oh, I'd agree that there's no evidence for ghosts*, and that there's a fair bit of money to be made out of the subject for gullible people.

However, it's pretty hard to say that the laws of physics disprove such things (in particular, I'm thinking of dark matter and energy, also known as "We don't know what 75% or so of the universe is made of, and have very few current experimental means of finding out about it". That's a massive hole in our knowledge, and anything could be happening there**)

* - Naturally, as a Christian, I do think death is not the end, but no contact between the two except in exceptional circumstances.

** - Dimrill subscribes to the belief that dark matter is filled with Dark Matter Men who spend all day masturbating, and everything we do is unconciously in order to avoid the outpourings of the DMM spray. Yes. Dimrill is weird.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:46 
baron of techno

Localised gravity anomaly. Telling yas.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:47 
Skillmeister

Because geomagnets are yampy flavoured, whereas CAT scans are cat flavoured. I don't know how on Earth you became a doctor. WHere's my prescruiptionb?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:50 
baron of techno

Mr Dave wrote:
However, it's pretty hard to say that the laws of physics disprove such things

It's pretty hard to say the laws of Physics disprove a whole lot of things. The flying Spaghetti Monster being a prime example.

The whole point of science is that you don't bother trying to disprove things until there's a plausible theory or some sort of demonstrable effect to investigate.

Otherwise, you'd spend all your time trying to disprove all sorts of demented shit.

So, just because you don't have a personally-autographed-by-Einstein disproof of something, doesn't mean it exists.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:51 
baron of techno

Dimrill wrote:
Because geomagnets are vampy flavoured

Romania FTFY

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:56 
Hibernating Druid

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:56 
Skillmeister

Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
Hmm, that makes very little sense. The Earth's magnetic field is millions of times weaker than the one you are subjected to when you go for a CAT scan, so why don't those people see ghosts all the time?

More wiki stuff. Surprisingly the man's research has neither proved nor disproved ghosts. amazing, huh?!

Quote:
Persinger has also come to public attention due to his 1975 Tectonic Strain Theory (TST) of how geophysical variables may correlate with sightings of unidentified flying objects (UFOs). Persinger argued that strain within the earth's crust near seismic faults produces intense electromagnetic (EM) fields, creating bodies of light that some interpret as glowing UFOs. Alternatively, the EM fields generate hallucinations in the temporal lobe, based on images from popular culture, of alien craft, beings, communications, or creatures.

Canadian researcher Chris Rutkowski of the University of Manitoba has become a prominent harsh critic of Persinger's Tectonic Strain Theory. For one thing, Rutowski argues, in order to try to accommodate UFO sightings in regions far removed from faults, Persinger has claimed that UFO-like lights or hallucinations can manifest hundreds of miles away from an area of seismic activity. Not only does this place an absurdly great distance between the actual area of tectonic stress and the surmised significant EM field, it also makes the theory unscientific by destroying any possible predictive power. Nearly every place on the planet lies within a few hundred miles of a seismically active area. Rutkowski pointed out severe flaws in Persinger's statistical methodology, since he confused possible correlation (however weak) with causality. For example, one could more easily explain occasional clusters of UFO sightings along earthquake fault-lines by the fact that populations often occur there in higher densities and by the fact that transportation routes often follow major fault lines, such as the San Andreas fault in California.

As with criticisms of Persinger's claims that minute laboratory magnetic fields can invoke hallucinations, Rutowski also points out that Persinger's inferred seismic EM fields would have much less influence than what people commonly experience near electrical appliances like television sets or hair driers. This again raises the question as to why people don't experience UFOs or aliens far more often than they do, or why these hypothetical hallucinations from electrical devices wouldn't drown out any possible contribution from much weaker geophysical fields. Once again, Persinger notes that the magnitude of the EM fields may have less significance than the particular temporal patterns. Furthermore, commentators such as British researcher Albert Budden, has proposed that man-made electromagnetic emissions can (in certain circumstances) generate close encounter experiences and has cited possible examples of this effect in his work Electric UFOs (Blandford, 1998).

In the UK, Paul Devereux advocates a variant geophysical theory similar to TST, the Earthlights theory. However, unlike Persinger, Devereaux generally restricts such effects to the immediate vicinity of a fault line. Devereux's approach also differs from Persinger's in holding triboluminescence rather than piezoelectricity as the "more likely candidate" for the production of naturally occurring UFOs. Devereux doesn't advocate, as in Persinger's TST, that the phenomenon might create hallucinations of UFO encounters in people, instead proposing an even more radical hypothesis: that earthlights may possess intelligence and even have the ability to read witness' thoughts. [2]

UFO researchers critical of the sesmic stress theory admit that, while, observations of diffuse lights during (and sometimes before and after) very severe earthquakes may give some weak support to some parts of TST and Earthlights theory (see Earthquake lights), they question the ability of fault lines to generate luminous effects and hallucinatory experiences under much less severe conditions(as cited above). Nonetheless, even TST critics such as Rutowski think such theories may hold some promise for explaining a small percentage of UFO phenomena, although they doubt that they can ever offer a comprehensive explanation for the vast majority of unexplained UFO cases. Other UFO researchers (mainly in the U.K) believe this very limited interpretation of the TST is brought into question by the clustering of UFO reports within areas prone to faulting - such as the Pennine region of northern Britain. While acknowledging the drawback's of Persinger's theory, they feel that amended versions of it may account for a significant proportion of "True UFO" reports.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:59 
Paws for thought

kalmarzipan wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
However, it's pretty hard to say that the laws of physics disprove such things

It's pretty hard to say the laws of Physics disprove a whole lot of things. The flying Spaghetti Monster being a prime example.

The whole point of science is that you don't bother trying to disprove things until there's a plausible theory or some sort of demonstrable effect to investigate.

Otherwise, you'd spend all your time trying to disprove all sorts of demented shit.

So, just because you don't have a personally-autographed-by-Einstein disproof of something, doesn't mean it exists.

The point being that the initial post was essentially trying to do just that.
As I said, no verifyable evidence, but don't expect that to trump experiental evidence for any given person.

The main difference between the two is that no-one claims to have met the flying spaghetti monster - or at least in a believable fashion - whereas ghost sightings have been around since time immemorial.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 18:00 
Sleepyhead

I've watched 'Fringe', and think ghosts are caused by some weird pseudo-science that only some mental bloke can explain.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 18:01 
Hibernating Druid

What's Fringe called in the USA? Is it Bangs?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 18:01 
baron of techno

@Dave Yes, it's a good point, just wanted to pontificate about it :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 18:04 
Skillmeister

Zardasher wrote:

I was thinking more..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 19:05 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Unbelievable. How fucking scary would that be!?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 20:17 
Full of plumptiousness

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next