Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Christmas approaches
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:56 
baron of techno

I intended to say the same things as Lave earlier but instead I decided to be a curmudgeonly old bastard. So, well said, Lave.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 19:02 
I forgot about this - how vain

Thanks guys! :)

Mimi wrote:
I believe in a thing called Lave.

That reminds me of my one trip to Rllmuk. There were pages of that, photoshops and everything. :S

(So that doesn't come accross vain, I should point out that they were being sarcastic :( )

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 19:19 
Unpossible!

humbug. (love ya Lave)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 19:51 
Hibernating Druid

Hi Amanda

Great suggestion about the gifts for kids. Also, if I were still a mod I'd have cut DavSpazes clackers off, dipped them in glitter and given them to Muslims as baubles. PM me if you'd still like this done.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 20:59 
Eggcellent Member

Dimrill wrote:
*whispers about Monkey World to Meems*
*proudly holds up adoption sponsor card*

Snap! Dindah is our adopted orange oo tang. We're going down before Christmas for a visit. Ace.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 21:18 
Skillmeister

Sally for us, natch. She is awesome.

Dindah was doing acrobatics right in front of the outdoor enclosure window for us last time we went :D We got there for opening time and dashed straight over to Malagasi as the tourists trickle through from front to back first. We had at least half an hour to ourselves with the lemurs and the Orangs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 21:21 
UltraMod

Mimi wrote:
I believe in a thing called Lave.

Just listen to the rhythm of his... words?

I'm going to have to get back to you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 21:27 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
:S Want to go to Monkey World! GJ will take me to Monkey Forest one day, also, I hope! :munkeh:

Yes! I meant to look up when they have their babies so you can see them, I think it might be around August, but I shall check. :)

I mentioned this to Gaz last week actually, about us all clubbing together as BEEXers and doing something. I saw this site on the tube. http://www.goodgifts.org I only know what the site tells me, but I thought it might have been a nice idea.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 21:38 
Engorged Member

All that religion stuff always seems like a lot of hard work to me.

But I think the Buddy Christ could be the way forward...
Now he seems like a guy who could really relate to me while pointing at my mate at the bar.

Anyway, since poverty used to be "the deprivation of common necessities such as food, clothing, shelter and safe drinking water" it is now simply a statistical line drawn across earnings, the UK government's definition being "living on less than 60% of Britain's median level of household income".

Now from my own South Walian vallies observations, I don't see many living in Dickensian filth, lacking food, clothing, shelter, safe drinking water, white cider, fags, tracksuits and Sky TV. All on the "Soshe".

As much as I am sure charities have noble objectives, I struggle to reconcile these with the good folk I see about the place wearing white and gold leisure suits and baseballs caps swigging cider and smoking over prams in town.

In other news, monkeys are cool and deserve all of our generous donations.

Xbox 360 60Gb
Acer 5920G - Core2Duo T7300. Geforce 8600M. 4Gb RAM
Apple iPhone 3GS
Worcester Bosch 240RSF
Hotpoint WF541 (Graphite)
Beko ZA630 (Graphite)
Centurion CLN-155S
Sharp R209

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 21:49 
Skillmeister

You obviously haven't heard of the "Baptise a Gibbon" charity marches taking place in Vietnam then.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 21:54 

I work for a charity in south wales. There's many a good person who's never had a decent break in their lives who is worth supporting (though I'd encourage people to volunteer rather than donate - a tenner is not worth as much in practical help terms as two hours of time donated by someone who can pull their weight). I'd regard most of them (through my middle class diamond-rimmed rose-tint shades) as chavs, for that is basically and crudely what they are. Which does not preclude them from being deserving of support. I have had some not-at-all chavvy clients who are real fuckers, and to be honest a fair generalistaion to make would be that the most hissy, evil people to work with are the middle classes when fallen on hard times. And while I'm generallising, those looking to buy a ticket to heaven work half as hard and suck twice as much as those who just want to get their hands dirty, or those who want a good wage for an honest day's graft.

Furthermore, you are in Newport's gravity well there, friend. You want to be up past Pontypool before you can breathe easy, and even the likes of Penperlenni/Goytre have a 'bum-fluff warrior on a moped' infestation.

Could be worse though, you could live in Caerphilly :DD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 22:11 
Engorged Member

Goatboy wrote:
I work for a charity in south wales. There's many a good person who's never had a decent break in their lives who is worth supporting (though I'd encourage people to volunteer rather than donate - a tenner is not worth as much in practical help terms as two hours of time donated by someone who can pull their weight). I'd regard most of them (through my middle class diamond-rimmed rose-tint shades) as chavs, for that is basically and crudely what they are. Which does not preclude them from being deserving of support. I have had some not-at-all chavvy clients who are real fuckers, and to be honest a fair generalistaion to make would be that the most hissy, evil people to work with are the middle classes when fallen on hard times. And while I'm generallising, those looking to buy a ticket to heaven work half as hard and suck twice as much as those who just want to get their hands dirty, or those who want a good wage for an honest day's graft.

Furthermore, you are in Newport's gravity well there, friend. You want to be up past Pontypool before you can breathe easy, and even the likes of Penperlenni/Goytre have a 'bum-fluff warrior on a moped' infestation.

Could be worse though, you could live in Caerphilly :DD

Yes, Caerfilthy. Hmmm...

Actually my house is in Pontypool. I just don't live in it just at the moment for reasons of relationship breakup. But I shall return this side of Christmas once I have re-mortgaged on my own. For what it's worth I have just as little sympathy for the fine folk at the top of the valley. Transport routes out to work are straightforward and available. Choosing not to take them doesn't work for me.

I do, however, feel that the next 6-12 months will be a terrible time for an awful lot of people. In fact my above and previous opinion is only valid for the last few years. It ceases to hold water now economic times are a-changing. Also I work in manufacturing. You may well have my mush grinning and grumbling at you when I get repossessed.

Goatboy wrote:
Newport's gravity well
implies Newport has some positive qualities. What are these to have remained hidden from me for my entire life?

Xbox 360 60Gb
Apple iPhone 3GS
Worcester Bosch 240RSF
Beko ZA630 (Graphite)
Centurion CLN-155S
Sharp R209

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 23:34 

No, dude, I wasn't implying that at all. Newport is a fucking shit-tip.

If you haven't got a substance misuse and a mental health condition you won't end up being my client, either. Cider, heroin and schizophrenia are 'in' this season.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 23:58 
Engorged Member

Goatboy wrote:
No, dude, I wasn't implying that at all. Newport is a fucking shit-tip.

Amen.

Xbox 360 60Gb
Apple iPhone 3GS
Worcester Bosch 240RSF
Beko ZA630 (Graphite)
Centurion CLN-155S
Sharp R209

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 0:54 
Excellent Member

I went to Newport for the first time last Sunday as part of a meet up in the National Novel Writers Month meet up, in the Weatherspoons there. Only one other person made it. Consenus was that Newport is a fucking dump.

Jebus, I'm not going back there if I can help it. A miasma of decay, it has.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:02 
Excellent Member

Myfinger wrote:
Anyway, since poverty used to be "the deprivation of common necessities such as food, clothing, shelter and safe drinking water" it is now simply a statistical line drawn across earnings, the UK government's definition being "living on less than 60% of Britain's median level of household income".

Now from my own South Walian vallies observations, I don't see many living in Dickensian filth, lacking food, clothing, shelter, safe drinking water, white cider, fags, tracksuits and Sky TV. All on the "Soshe".

As much as I am sure charities have noble objectives, I struggle to reconcile these with the good folk I see about the place wearing white and gold leisure suits and baseballs caps swigging cider and smoking over prams in town.

In other news, monkeys are cool and deserve all of our generous donations.

Hmm, I'd like to subscribe to giving monkeys charity money until the unemployed started to knit their own government provided wool into jumpers, mittens and the like and agree to wear hear-wearing Victorian working-class clobber. It would persuade them of a higher romantic beauty in genuine poverty and stop them from wearing complete chav shite.* Yup, I sure am hearty sick of South Walian valley/Cardiff chav-drunks.

AND THEIR LITTERING. >:(

On the plus side, the next tramp I see with a book gets £1. (Has happened before! I'm an elitist!)

* "Pete is drunk and living in a dream-world," - ed.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:06 
Not to be confused with elbow

Hello and welcome to the forum! Great ideas btw-I try and give around christmas to charity and such like (I do a lot of active thins aswell-zip lining and things like that-ones coming up soon and I shall be doing that :S erk!) but I also make sure to go to the Post Office (if they still do this scheme) and give any unwanted presents away to them so people elsewhere can have them and will appreciate them instead of having them stuck on my shelf at home :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 17:59 
An expert on bulls you are not

Hello fresh meat Amanda! Hope you enjoy your stay on BETEO. :)

In fearful day, in raging night,
With strong hearts full our souls ignite,
When all seems lost in the War of Light,
Look to the stars--
For hope burns bright!

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2