Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ] 
 Post subject: TV screen postion/XBOX 360
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:58 

Hi Pooples,

Can someone point me towards where you can alter screen postition on the XBox? I downloaded Word Soup and the entire left column of leters is hidden from me by the edge of the screen - I can see the thinnest slither of those tiles, but the letters are cut off completely, which is annoting if I can't see a tenth of the letters...

I have looked through the XBox system settings (all that I can find) and haven't see a screen position adjuster like you have with other consoles. I assume there is one. Is there?

:(

Post subject: Re: TV screen postion/XBOX 360
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:59 

What kind of screen are you using meems?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:00 
Gogmagog

Tilt the telly and the screen will roll down. but not too far as then the carpet gets wet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:02 

markg wrote:
What kind of screen are you using meems?

Small old television :P

Cheers Mali, I'll give that a go...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:03 

Oh no! Phillip Schofield just fell out of the TV when I tilted it forwards! At least it wasn't Fern Britton.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:05 
Master of dodgy spelling....

MaliA wrote:
Tilt the telly and the screen will roll down. but not too far as then the carpet gets wet.

Dude, that is you fish tank!!! you are not playing finding Nemo :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:07 
Hibernating Druid

You've probably got the output set to 16:9 (widescreen) rather than 4:3 (substandard)

Have a look in the consoles video settings Meemo.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

Why was Phillip Schofield in my fish tank?

Oh! Maybe he's that little deep sea diver figure... I always wondered who that was...

Gogmagog

Kovacs Caprios wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Dude, that is you fish tank!!! you are not playing finding Nemo :)

Hi5!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:08 

Zardoz wrote:
You've probably got the output set to 16:9 (widescreen) rather than 4:3 (substandard)

Cheers Zardoz, I'll do that now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:08 

Either that or if Word Soup is the only thing that is affected then it only supports widescreen.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:09 
UltraMod

Zardoz wrote:

Wouldn't that just make it look squashed, though?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:12 
Hibernating Druid

Is your face set to 4:3?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:12 
UltraMod

My face is turned up to 11.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:13 
Hibernating Druid

:metul:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:16 

I don't know if Word Soup is the only thing affected, other games may be affected but don't have impoartnt things like text so close to the edge of the screen.

I think it is actually the console screen position, because I just took this little screenshot (with my phone, so excuse the quality)
Attachment:
tv.jpg

... and as you can see the left is cut off. On teh right there is a border around the grey panel, not on the left. Also, the 'D' of display is almost completely cut off.

I have checked the settings and the choice is 'normal' or 'widescreen' and it is set to normal. Under the settings there seems to be no tool for adjusting screen position like there is with the Wii or Gamecube (not sure about PS3).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:17 
UltraMod

Hmm, would changing it to 50Hz make a difference? Have you checked the connections in the back? Something might be loose. My DVD player goes a bit wonky if the SCART cable's not in properly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:18 

Sell some more fluffy things shaped like animals and get a better telly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:21 

Yep, I've tried 50hz and 60 hz, not sure what either meant so thought I'd try both to see if it made a difference, but they look exactly the same to me. Just given all cables a test and pushed them all in securely and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Hmmm, how annoying ?:|

I have tried so many times to get a new telly, markg, but I do not seem to use it enough to justify it. there's always something more impoartnt that the money should go on, and I have been so vlose to getting one - in teh shop, with money, and then I think I will probably need it for something else.

I don't watch the TV, so I only use it on the occasion I fancy a game, and then I am more likley to play when I am in lancaster. Maybe Animal Crossing will force me to get a new TV.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:22 
Hibernating Druid

Holy goldfish bowl Batman!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:23 

Mimi wrote:
Yep, I've tried 50hz and 60 hz, not sure what either meant so thought I'd try both to see if it made a difference, but they look exactly the same to me. Just given all cables a test and pushed them all in securely and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Hmmm, how annoying ?:|

I have tried so many times to get a new telly, markg, but I do not seem to use it enough to justify it. there's always something more impoartnt that the money should go on, and I have been so vlose to getting one - in teh shop, with money, and then I think I will probably need it for something else.

I don't watch the TV, so I only use it on the occasion I fancy a game, and then I am more likley to play when I am in lancaster. Maybe Animal Crossing will force me to get a new TV.
Using a computer monitor is another option, like the one you're looking at now maybe? Unless it's a laptop or something.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:23 
UltraMod

I think Meems has a MacBook or summat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:25 

OK, well cheers guys, I think it is just my TV is too old for the technology to work properly and I shall have to make do.

I remembered why I didn't get a new TV, by the way. it's because I have an indoor aerial. It can pick up a perfect picture as long as it is kept in its perfect place, on top of the TV where I have loveingly blu-tak'ed it. I remember thinking that if I move this set up I will get no picture, and I can't balance the aerial on a thin-screen TV. I knew there was a good reason at the time :)

Yeah, I have a laptop, markg :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:27 

Mimi wrote:
I'm afraid it comes down to your telly being a bit rubbish, Mimi.

Markg is right, a computer monitor would be a better deal. I saw 17" CRT (i.e. not "flatscreen") monitors for sale for a tenner the other day, delivered; and they'd display a much sharper picture than the TV you have now. You'd need a set of speakers to go with it, so it'd introduce some small amount of clutter, and you'd need to get a new lead for the Xbox but you could still do all that for less than £40. Or, if you wanted to splash out, you could get a very nice 22" widescreen monitor for around £100 which you could also use as a second monitor for the Mac too, so you'd have a nice big screen for that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:29 

Unless you fancy trying to get hold of a tech manual for your tv and changing the overscan settings then I think your only solutions are to get a new tv or live with it. ?:|

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:32 

I thought that might be the sad truth of it.

Thanks guys - I will get a new TV or monitor soon, really I will. Hopefully once teh expense of Christmas has passed. I'm only here for another week and then I can see things on enormo-vision in Lancaster, and Word Soup can wait.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:34 

Joans wrote:
Unless you fancy trying to get hold of a tech manual for your tv and changing the overscan settings
nope :D
Quote:
then I think your only solutions are to get a new tv or live with it. ?:|

Oh well. the remote broke about 5 years ago anyway, so I can't adjust the volume, so maybe it is fr the best. Hopefully after Christmas I will get it sorted.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:36 

This is true, a PC monitor that size and a small pair of speakers would cost just west of fuck all (My massively lovely Iiyama 19" CRT was free for example) and would display a picture leagues better.

Of course, then you couldn't use it for TV so it'd have to go somewhere the TV isn't.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:40 

Dudley wrote:
This is true, a PC monitor that size and a small pair of speakers would cost just west of fuck all (My massively lovely Iiyama 19" CRT was free for example) and would display a picture leagues better.
I have 15" and 17" CRT monitors that are free to a good home, but there is no way to get them anywhere. I also have a 19" CRT (Dell branded, Sony Trinitron tube) which I should get rid of but can't quite bear to part with.

Quote:
Of course, then you couldn't use it for TV so it'd have to go somewhere the TV isn't.
Get a TV tuner for the Mac, then use that to watch TV on the big monitor. It's a roundabout way of getting there but it's a lot cheaper than a buying a biggish TV.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:41 

Yeah, that's the problem with that solution - I wouldn't have space for two seperate screen, so I think it'll have to be a TV in case I fancy watching something that is not on iPlayer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:42 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Dudley wrote:
I have 15" and 17" CRT monitors that are free to a good home, but there is no way to get them anywhere. I also have a 19" CRT (Dell branded, Sony Trinitron tube) which I should get rid of but can't quite bear to part with.

Quote:
Get a TV tuner for the Mac, then use that to watch TV on the big monitor. It's a roundabout way of getting there but it's a lot cheaper than a buying a biggish TV.

I couldn't do that because the aerial would have t fine a new sweet spot, and it took me about a year to find the current one. :S

See, all problems :P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:44 

If you don't mind smallish screen sizes and your budget will stretch to £130-150, the you have options (and another).

If you can't afford that, I reckon you could get a 17" CRT monitor, a set of speakers, and a TV tuner for that Mac for not much more than £50-60.

Quote:
I couldn't do that because the aerial would have t fine a new sweet spot, and it took me about a year to find the current one.
Damn your eyes. Ummmm, this I can't solve easily. Download all your TV?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:50 

I might just have to ask my Dad to act like Rod Hull* and go to the roof to fix/replace the proper aerial without falling off next time he is in London. The one I did have was great, butsomething happened to it in a storm some years back, and I never got it fixed.

*without the falling off bit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:58 

I have a Belinea 19" CRT monitor going free if you can find a way of picking it up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 13:01 

Ah, thanks Gaz, but I wouldn't be able to as I know nobody with a car, won't be around much at all, and by the time I'd pay for travel and such I might as well just treat myself to something new and my own, but thankyou so much for the swet ofer. this place can be overwhelmingly kind sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 13:30 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Mimi wrote:
Ah, thanks Gaz, but I wouldn't be able to as I know nobody with a car, won't be around much at all, and by the time I'd pay for travel and such I might as well just treat myself to something new and my own, but thankyou so much for the swet ofer. this place can be overwhelmingly kind sometimes.

Depending where you live, I could be passing I travel a lot with my job.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 13:33 
UltraMod

Mimi, we have a spare 14" portable TV that we're not using at the moment. It's electric blue, though.

You'd probably have to come and get it, so probably not practical unless Craig wanted to collect it when visiting you on the way from Lancaster...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 13:37 
Unpossible!

bbc one and two are going to be streaming from next week.

We had 5 21" CRT Trinitron monitors at work. They were gorgeous, beautiful picture, infinitely adjustable and fucking massive. Like 2 foot deep AND they weighed as much as myp (i imagine). No-one wanted them, they got shipped to africa. Lucky buggers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 13:38 

haha, Electric blue TV sounds wonderful, though Craig comes and visits London about as frequently as John Lennon delivers my morning paper, but, again, thankyou x

(also, he drives but we have no car, and a TV of any size on a train would be a bit much)

As I say, I will treat myself after the expense of Christmas has passed. I'm only here a few more days and then itis big TV a go-go for all of your Christmas pap drama needs, and QI in enormovision.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 14:12 
Unpossible!

Mimi wrote:
John Lennon delivers my morning paper

Scoop! Forum minx Mimi today stated that former Beatle, John Lennon is a paperboy in her street. John Lennon, 68, was believed to have perished after an attack by crazed fan, Jonathan Ross, in New York in 1980, but apparently survived well into middle age. 'Mimi' (believed to be a pseudonym) was unavailable for comment this morning probably due to xboxing (a bizzare ritual performed with a very small TV and a plastic vibrator) with a number of hairy men around the country.

edit: YES! 1000 posts! Do I get a trophy?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 14:18 

Oh no! The scandal!

:hat:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 14:53 

davpaz wrote:
Mimi wrote:
John Lennon delivers my morning paper

edit: YES! 1000 posts! Do I get a trophy?

Yes. A "You're wasting your life on the internet" trophy is winging its way to you as we speak.
They're quite nice really. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 15:44 
Honey Boo Boo

Well done. You've maxed this forum. Move on to another one. GameFAQs and GameSpy are both good ones, I hear.

re: TVs, this is a known thing... I have a decent, new CRT widescreen TV and it cuts the edges off when it's in PAL-60 mode (which a lot of games require so it's not like you have a choice really) but doesn't in PAL-50 mode. Not as badly as your screen does, but enough that I can't see stuff right on the edges (like some object names in Oblivion, the 'flame' icons in Eternal Sonata, and numerous other stupid little niggly things).

The solution, apart from a new TV, would be to go back in time to 1963 and kill everyone involved in making PAL in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 15:56 

MetalAngel wrote:
The solution, apart from a new TV, would be to go back in time and kill everyone involved in making NTSC in the first place.

Feex.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 15:56 
UltraMod

Joans wrote:

Yes. A "You're wasting your life on the internet" trophy is winging its way to you as we speak.
They're quite nice really. :)

Does anyone want some of mine? They're really cluttering up the place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 16:01 

myoptika wrote:
Does anyone want some of mine? They're really cluttering up the place.
You're not thinking big enough. I built my whole house out of mine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 16:02 
Unpossible!

myoptika wrote:
Does anyone want some of my "wasting mine and other people's lives on the internet" trophies? They're really cluttering up the place.

u is a mod feex

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 16:38 
Excellent Painter

I've got a 25" Sony Trinidisneymovie sans remote up for grabs if anybody wants it.

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]