Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] 
 Post subject: Strange People
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:27 
Gogmagog

So, I'm coming home from classes, on the bike, taking it easy, enjoying the sunshine and the feel of the wind against my jeans clad legs. Up over the bridge crossing the M40, and down into Merton village. it's a 30mph speed limit through the village, but I'm not in a rush at all. Coming down the other side of the bridge, I kick the bike into 3rd, and let the speed scrub off as the revs drop way, way down.

Entering the vilalge, something is wrong here. A car, coming in the opposite direction has jsut stopped adjacant to a pick up truck, parked (truck is on LHS road, car, RHS) and is blocking it. And the lady driver gets out and starts having a natter with the two blokes on the side of the road.

So I slowly drop down into 1st, and coast to a halt about 8 feet from them, and then, move slowly forward, trying to get a look to see if I can slink by the car, stopped with ignition off, that is blocking the road.

For some reason, the woman says something in my direction, and gets back in the car. Then one of the men by the side of the road shout soemthing along the lines of "We can't get 5 minutes peace in this here village!".

Seizing my chance, I correctly guess that the gap between the pickup and the stopped, motionless, non runing car is big enough and go for the gap and head off at a stately 29 mph.

I've seen the Wicker Man, I know how this shit ends.

I'm still at a loss at what I did to provoke such ire, but have come to the conclusion that they were in the wrong. L'espirit d'escalier suggests to me a correct course of action would have been to stop 3 feet from them, and drop the bike into neutral and hold the throttle at 10,000rpm for a bit and repeatedly shout "WHAT? SORRY" at them.

Funny things, people.

Post subject: Re: Strange People
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:29 
INFINITE POWAH

You should write a blog, you know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:31 

He does.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:33 
INFINITE POWAH

I meant on his own site. And then he could turn it into a book.

That would be ace. Truly, MaliA is a Samuel Pepys for our times.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:33 
Gogmagog

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Today I spent time with a man with a van and a speed camera safety camera.

Fascinating. Those vans have huge amounts of CCTV on which is all recorded. Front cameras, side cameras and all sorts on them.

The speed camera bit is fascinating. Something many people don't realise is that the guns can measure the speed of cars traveling in *either* direction usually at a distance of 30 metres or so, although they can go further in good conditions and with a skilled operator. Heavy traffic can be a problem for them (you need line of sight). Measurement is instant and the camera has a polarizing lens on it so it can see straight through windscreens to identify the driver.

The guy using the camera was really nice and really reasonable. He really hates the idea that some counties use unmarked vans for their safety cameras. As an ex-police officer he spent most of his career dealing with dead bodies after RTA's so wants the vans to be a visual deterrent.

Also got told it's 10% + 2mph before you get done. I'd already heard that one but nice to hear it first hand.

Something I didn't know was that the vans also collect the films from the static cameras. And yes, they still do use films in most areas. They will go digital but not yet because the existing equipment still has years left in it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:34 

Just do a search for his posts and print them off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:34 
INFINITE POWAH

FAOD, I wasn't taking the piss.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:36 

That is a new acronym/initialism on me (don't worry, I looked it up).
I would also read a Mali-Blog, but I am quite happy to read it all here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:38 
INFINITE POWAH

Joans wrote:

Not to be confused with FOAD, of course. :)

Quote:
I would also read a Mali-Blog, but I am quite happy to read it all here.

I am lazy. I do not want to have to search through all Mali's posts to sort the jokes from the biographical.

I want a dedicated MaliA thread, then.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:39 
Comfortably Dumb

Lord Chris wrote:
FAOD, I wasn't taking the piss.

Furry army of doom?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:46 

Lord Chris wrote:
Joans wrote:

Not to be confused with FOAD, of course. :)

I did wonder if you got the middle two letters mixed up, but I thought that might have been a bit harsh. :luv:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 21:06 
Time Out for Fun

MaliA wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Today I spent time with a man with a van and a speed camera safety camera.

Fascinating. Those vans have huge amounts of CCTV on which is all recorded. Front cameras, side cameras and all sorts on them.

The speed camera bit is fascinating. Something many people don't realise is that the guns can measure the speed of cars traveling in *either* direction usually at a distance of 30 metres or so, although they can go further in good conditions and with a skilled operator. Heavy traffic can be a problem for them (you need line of sight). Measurement is instant and the camera has a polarizing lens on it so it can see straight through windscreens to identify the driver.

The guy using the camera was really nice and really reasonable. He really hates the idea that some counties use unmarked vans for their safety cameras. As an ex-police officer he spent most of his career dealing with dead bodies after RTA's so wants the vans to be a visual deterrent.

Also got told it's 10% + 2mph before you get done. I'd already heard that one but nice to hear it first hand.

Something I didn't know was that the vans also collect the films from the static cameras. And yes, they still do use films in most areas. They will go digital but not yet because the existing equipment still has years left in it.

I always thought it was 10% and add 3 miles, meaning you can pretty much do 80 on the motoroway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 21:39 
making out to faces of death

http://faod.org/ :hat:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 21:43 
UltraMod

Lord Chris wrote:

OMG :this:

I'd even pay to have it set up and everything.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 22:30 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

MaliA wrote:
...correct course of action would have been to stop 3 feet from them, hold the throttle at 12,000rpm, clamp the front brake, put all my weight forward and repeatedly shout "WHAT? SORRY" at them as I fill the street with smoke and flames... hitting the killswitch, before giving it a fistful of throttle before starting it again with an almighty BANG, accelerating off on one wheel with the throttle pinned, flipping them off and mooning.

Biker FTFY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:08 
Excellent Painter

nynfortoo wrote:
MaliA wrote:
...correct course of action would have been to stop 3 feet from them, hold the throttle at 12,000rpm, clamp the front brake, put all my weight forward and repeatedly shout "WHAT? SORRY" at them as I fill the street with smoke and flames... hitting the killswitch, before giving it a fistful of throttle before starting it again with an almighty BANG, accelerating off on one wheel with the throttle pinned, flipping them off and mooning.

Biker FTFY

And there was I wondering why you were slowly being turned into a cyborg ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:12 
baron of techno

nynfortoo wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Strange People FTFY

Country Folk FTFY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:57 
Unpossible!

My wife's from a little village out in t'country. I constantly tease her about the magic of modern technology (running water, tarmac etc) and even after 7 years, she still doesn't laugh.

She once said to me "I didn't even see a black person until I came to uni. Everyone in my village is white. Except for the family that runs the chinese. They're Chinese". I love my wife :luv:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:01 
Not to be confused with elbow

davpaz wrote:
My wife's from a little village out in t'country. I constantly tease her about the magic of modern technology (running water, tarmac etc) and even after 7 years, she still doesn't laugh.

She once said to me "I didn't even see a black person until I came to uni. Everyone in my village is white. Except for the family that runs the chinese. They're Chinese". I love my wife :luv:

That's the same as Colyton in Devon. Gaz takes the mick out of the accent, I laugh though as I can't really really tell him off as they do talk funny :) bloody Grockels!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:08 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

DBSnappa wrote:
And there was I wondering why you were slowly being turned into a cyborg ;)

Heh. Worth noting, mind, that I'd never do this*.

*My tyres are too expensive, for one thing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

davpaz wrote:

You wife comes from a little village with a Chinese restaurant? That's a fucking town, man. I used to have to drive four miles to buy fucking milk.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dr Awkward wrote:
Lord Chris wrote:

OMG :this:

I'd even pay to have it set up and everything.

And I wouldn't charge much to set it up, either.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:15 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
You wife comes from a little village with a Chinese restaurant? That's a fucking town, man. I used to have to drive four miles to buy fucking milk.

Well, Chinese chippy. They didn't sell milk though

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

A chippy?
Here is my route if I wanted to buy milk.
If it was after 6pm or the weekend, or I wanted something that you can't get from a small village shop (which is a lot of things) it was a trip to this supermarket.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:26 

Grim... wrote:
God. I bet it was uphill both ways, too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:27 
Chinny chin chin

Grim... wrote:
A chippy?
If it was after 6pm or the weekend, or I wanted something that you can't get from a small village shop (which is a lot of things) it was a trip to this supermarket.

Like you didn't send poor old Benson to get get the milk for you. And then you administered a good thrashing if he didn't return in a timely manner.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:27 
INFINITE POWAH

That sounds a lot like the village (well, hamlet, really) that my in-laws live in, Grim....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:30 
Isn't that lovely?

Grim... wrote:
A chippy?

Bummer if you got to the corner shop and they'd sold out of what you wanted huh?

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:31 
Excellently Membered

It doesn't just happen in villages.

I was in ASDA last night and bumped into a friend I hadn't seen in a while. I thought nothing of it, finished the conversation and carried on shopping.

4 or 5 minutes later an ASDA employee came up to me and says "How are you doing <itsallwater>. Long time no see". I then give him a strange look trying to remember where I know him from and franticly ask him any question I could think of, while wondering why his front teeth are so rotten and if I knew anyone with bad teeth. So I ask him "How long have you been working here then?" in a rather puzzled voice. He says "8 years". I then say "oh kkkk". At which point he jumps in with "I don't actually know you but I overheard your name while you were talking to your friend".

.... I run a very polite mile.

People are weird! Very unnervingly so!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:31 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
A chippy?

Should've got a cow. They live 30 years you know

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:33 
Unpossible!

itsallwater wrote:
It doesn't just happen in villages.

I was in ASDA last night and bumped into a friend I hadn't seen in a while. I thought nothing of it, finished the conversation and carried on shopping.

4 or 5 minutes later an ASDA employee came up to me and says "How are you doing <itsallwater>. Long time no see". I then give him a strange look trying to remember where I know him from and franticly ask him any question I could think of, while wondering why his front teeth are so rotten and if I knew anyone with bad teeth. So I ask him "How long have you been working here then?" in a rather puzzled voice. He says "8 years". I then say "oh kkkk". At which point he jumps in with "I don't actually know you but I overheard your name while you were talking to your friend".

.... I run a very polite mile.

People are weird! Very unnervingly so!

That would freak me out. I grew up on a council estate in a large, scummy northen town. NO EYE CONTACT OR YOU DIE!*

*Yep, Medusa grew in Hemlington too!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:34 
Sitting balls-back folder

davpaz wrote:
Grim... wrote:
A chippy?

Should've got a cow. They live 30 years you know
Not so much once you start slicing bits off for your tea. If you're careful maybe 2, 3?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:36 
Unpossible!

You'd need to speak to the country folk. We only had feral dogs and rats where I grew up :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 14:29 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Grim... wrote:
A chippy?

I nearly took a job near Towcester that was equally "in the middle of nowhere" as that one. I'm very glad I didn't take it. Why? I don't have a car.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 17:03 
Honey Boo Boo

nynfortoo wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Biker FTFY

:DD

The killswitch bit especially.

There's a road just as you come into Caerphilly down the mountain, next to the main railway station. TWO NIGHTS IN A ROW NOW I've approached this road (going slowly, mind... the police station is right there as well) and both times someone has come screaming down the side road to the give way line clearly not intending to stop before looking, seeing me and, panicking/misjudging my speed/finally thinking 'bike', slamming on their brakes. I'll see if I get a hat trick tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 17:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MetalAngel wrote:
nynfortoo wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Biker FTFY

:DD

The killswitch bit especially.

Rolling burnout between the cars, shoooorely?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 17:33 
Honey Boo Boo

Would it be possible to write 'BASTARDS' on the road in burnt rubber and still have enough tire tread left to escape the inevitable pick up truck full of bumpkins waving farm implements?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 19:28 
Peculiar, yet lovely

MetalAngel wrote:
Would it be possible to write 'BASTARDS' on the road in burnt rubber and still have enough tire tread left to escape the inevitable pick up truck full of bumpkins waving farm implements?

That made me chuckle lots. Cheers!

I had a good day today. I met one of Warwickshire's forty black people. That's six I've met now!

It was a little weird coming from hillingdon to here, I must admit.

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]