Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ] 
 Post subject: Questions
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 19:44 
Best
Board Mother

1. If you don't pay your student loan for a certain number of years does it get written off? (I think it used to be about 5 years?)

2. Is it illegal to put leaflets under car wipers?

3. Can you take someone to court if you lent them money (credit) and they stopped paying it off (back) but you only had a verbal agreement and one witness?

It's been ask GJ today, like I'm the font of all knowledge. :)

Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 19:47 

1. Used to be 25 years I think, but they changed the system a couple of years after I started ('98?) so it might be different.

If it was only 5, I'd have seriously entertained the possibility of bumming around until they wrote it off. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 19:47 
Lurker

Joans wrote:
If it was only 5, I'd have seriously entertained the possibility of bumming around until they wrote it off. :)

:hat:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 19:52 

I should probably have phrased it better as I'm posting on "the internet forum with the largest amounts of implications of bumsex."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 20:16 
Sitting balls-back folder

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
2. Is it illegal to put leaflets under car wipers?
Yes, it's fly-posting. That may need should qualification with "Yes, if the local authority has banned it". I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 20:48 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
1. If you don't pay your student loan for a certain number of years does it get written off? (I think it used to be about 5 years?)

I think this depends on the reasons why you didn't pay it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 20:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Bobbyaro wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Yeah, I'm fairly sure it's only written off if you're below the earnings threshold for X years, not just if you didn't fancy paying it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 21:14 
Best
Board Mother

Craster wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Yeah, I'm fairly sure it's only written off if you're below the earnings threshold for X years, not just if you didn't fancy paying it.

Yeah, that's what I meant sorry, got a friend who did her HND seven (I think) years ago, she's not got to the income threshold yet so was just wondering. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 22:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
3. Can you take someone to court if you lent them money (credit) and they stopped paying it off (back) but you only had a verbal agreement and one witness?

Yes, you can take them to court. Your chances, however, are probably no better than average.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 22:27 
Ezekiel

Goddess Jasmine wrote:

In Scotland you definitely can, but we have a completely different set of laws regarding verbal contracts (and contracts in general) to the rest of the UK. For a fun fascinating fact, this is why a lot of companies that sell a service (say, for example, Sky TV) base their call centres in Scotland - it provides them with much more legal weight in someone agreeing to something over the phone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 22:30 
Lurker

Zen-Chan wrote:
For a fun fascinating fact, this is why a lot of companies that sell a service (say, for example, Sky TV) base their call centres in Scotland - it provides them with much more legal weight in someone agreeing to something over the phone.

Cripes, I'd often wondered why that was. Another of life's mysteries solved for me, there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 22:56 

Zen-Chan wrote:
In Scotland you definitely can, but we have a completely different set of laws regarding verbal contracts (and contracts in general) to the rest of the UK. For a fun fascinating fact, this is why a lot of companies that sell a service (say, for example, Sky TV) base their call centres in Scotland - it provides them with much more legal weight in someone agreeing to something over the phone.
Hmm, can you cite this? It seems unlikely to me that it would be Scottish local law that would apply under those circumstances.

I thought the prevalence of call centres in Scotland was due to plenty of cheap labour, and some surveys which showed that out of the various provincial accents in the UK the Scottish one was preferred by customers and easier to understand on slightly bad quality phone lines. Similar reasons have led to quite a lot of call centres in South Wales.

Also, of course, once there are a lot of call centres in an area, there are lots of call centre staff, which means future call centres are more likely to locate there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 23:30 
Excellent Painter

richardgaywood wrote:
Zen-Chan wrote:
Hmm, can you cite this? It seems unlikely to me that it would be Scottish local law that would apply under those circumstances.

I thought the prevalence of call centres in Scotland was due to plenty of cheap labour, and some surveys which showed that out of the various provincial accents in the UK the Scottish one was preferred by customers and easier to understand on slightly bad quality phone lines. Similar reasons have led to quite a lot of call centres in South Wales.

I know you're really busy, butt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 23:59 
Time Out for Fun

Zen-Chan wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

actually thats just reminded me I got interest free store credit when I bought a guitar and rang up the company I had to pay it back to, and had a really nice chat with a scottish guy who used to live in south shields, and I didnt mind paying my 300 odd quid over then and thought does anyone have nice conversations like that over the phone and wondered if he broke his companys policy by being friendly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 0:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I was chatting to a nice chap at Natwest call centre about making my overdraft a bit more accommodating and he turned out to be in the same CS clan as me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 0:14 
Time Out for Fun

Grim... wrote:
I was chatting to a nice chap at Natwest call centre about making my overdraft a bit more accommodating and he turned out to be in the same CS clan as me.

friendly and geeky isnt the same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 0:19 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Yes, you can take them to court. Your chances, however, are probably no better than average.

Unless it's a TV judge like Judge Judy.

You'll win every single time in those courts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:10 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Grim... wrote:

How did this come up in a bank conversation?
Also: Did he bump it up higher because you two were buds?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 13:35 
Hibernating Druid

Scarysheep3000 wrote:
Zen-Chan wrote:
For a fun fascinating fact, this is why a lot of companies that sell a service (say, for example, Sky TV) base their call centres in Scotland - it provides them with much more legal weight in someone agreeing to something over the phone.

Cripes, I'd often wondered why that was. Another of life's mysteries solved for me, there.

And they're cheaper than Indians.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 13:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I find that legal stuff about Scotland very hard to believe. If they cold call me from Scotland, and I'm in England, why should Scottish legislation apply? Surely they've approached me on English soil? Or we've met somewhere in the technology ether, somewhere around Newcastle?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 13:44 

Craster wrote:
I find that legal stuff about Scotland very hard to believe. If they cold call me from Scotland, and I'm in England, why should Scottish legislation apply? Surely they've approached me on English soil? Or we've met somewhere in the technology ether, somewhere around Newcastle?
:this:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 13:45 

Indeed, if it were true they'd just base the call centre somewhere like Zimbabwe with no laws whatsoever.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 13:46 
UltraMod

Dudley wrote:
Indeed, if it were true they'd just base the call centre somewhere like Zimbabwe with no laws whatsoever.

Isn't that what they've done?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 15:24 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Dudley wrote:

*ring ring*
"Hello?"
"Hello Sir. You are now in a twelve year contract with O2 just by answering the phone. This is the law in Zimbabwe".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 15:30 
baron of techno

richardgaywood wrote:
Zen-Chan wrote:

Also, of course, once there are a lot of call centres in an area, there are lots of call centre staff, which means future call centres are more likely to locate there.

Plus Fife Council tends to dish out large helpings of welfare to the larger corporations. See for example the massive, brand new but mothballed factory just up the road with a large sign outside marked: Hyundai / Motorola / Some Hopeless Letting Agency.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 15:33 
Lurker

Pod wrote:
Dudley wrote:

*ring ring*
"Hello?"
"Hello Sir. You are now in a twelve year contract with O2 just by answering the phone. This is the law in Zimbabwe".

:DD Proper LOL from me then, birthday-boy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 15:41 

Pod wrote:
Dudley wrote:

*ring ring*
"Hello?"

"You now owe us $234,543,736,236,295,953,246,693,969,694.25...

...excluding VAT."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 15:50 
baron of techno

VAT in Zimbabwe is 9000%

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 16:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pod wrote:
Grim... wrote:

How did this come up in a bank conversation?

I didn't have time to apply for a credit card because I had a CS match in five minutes.
Pod wrote:
Also: Did he bump it up higher because you two were buds?

No, he couldn't get me one at all, the loser.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 16:48 

Grim... wrote:
No, he couldn't get me one at all, the loser.

PWND

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 16:51 
making out to faces of death

Headshot! FFS TK! :DD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 16:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

HA><0R

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:38 
Best
Board Mother

More...

1. Can you drink alcohol on Emirates planes? (All of my friends are alcoholics..)
2. Can you get floor tiles up with a wallpaper steamer?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:57 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Emirates website say they have a wine list on their planes, so I guess so. I wouldn't be surprised if they're a bit less indulgent of drunkenness than BA or easyJet though.

Not sure about the tiles - I'd imagine steamers only work on water based paint. I have no idea what tiles are stuck down with.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 18:54 
Best
Board Mother

Me again, I decided to stop taking over the B&B thread.

If someone has low intellectual abilities, or has learning difficulties, are they classed as disabled? I would have thought that having a low intellectual ability or a learning difficulty was a disability in it's own right as it makes you less-abled than others?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 18:59 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I ain't touhing this one, sorry!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 19:02 
Isn't that lovely?

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Me again, I decided to stop taking over the B&B thread.

If someone has low intellectual abilities, or has learning difficulties, are they classed as disabled? I would have thought that having a low intellectual ability or a learning difficulty was a disability in it's own right as it makes you less-abled than others?

If they are "statemented" (have a statement of special educational needs) Then I think they are. I think what actually determines whether they are or not depends on if they get disability allowance, or if their carer gets disability living allowance.

And they are determined by how much help they need "above and beyond the needs of a typical person"

I think.

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 19:12 
Full of plumptiousness

I'm pretty sure that Student Loans get written off if you're out of the country for more than x years where x is the I can't find a reference to this anywhere, but it is a strong hunch.

A strong hunch is a disability.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 19:12 
Best
Board Mother

Hmm, thanks Malc.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 19:15 
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

If you live and work abroad for 10 years it gets written off.... thats my plan anway! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 23:19 
Best
Board Mother

Quote:
This of course could also potentially bias the researcher’s' results.

It's possessive and there are three researchers so it's plural too. Where does the apostraphe go? Chris? Anybody?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 23:21 
Gogmagog

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Quote:
This of course could also potentially bias the researcher’s' results.

It's possessive and there are three researchers so it's plural too. Where does the apostraphe go? Chris? Anybody?

researchers'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 23:22 
Best
Board Mother

That was my thinking, I hope we are right.

Thanks MaliA. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 0:13 
Sleepyhead

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
That was my thinking, I hope we are right.

Thanks MaliA. :)

The law with apostrophes is put it after what you would say if you weren't being possessive.

They are the researchers. So it goes after the S.

That is why people often get it wrong when the plural of something doesn't end in 'S', and why some things look wrong even though they are right.

Or something.

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]