Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Should Mental Disabilities be given the same benefits as physically disabilities?
Yes, I think they should 65%  65%  [ 19 ]
They should be given something, but not the same level as someone with a 'proper' disability 24%  24%  [ 7 ]
No, I don't think they should 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I don't even think physically disabled people should be given benefits 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 29
 Post subject: Mentally Disabled on benefits to suffer under tories
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:22 
Isn't that lovely?

http://www.communitycare.co.uk/Articles ... plans.html

I heard this a while back, and then someone pointed this out to me today.

My eldest son has Asperger's Syndrome and we get DLA for him. When we first applied they said no. But we fought the system and under appeal we got awarded a minor sum, we were advised to appeal again, and we did, and we get a much more substantial sum.

We spent the best part of 2 years fighting for something we were entitled to. We felt like giving up several times, but we kept on fighting and in the end we got what we deserved. But we did feel the system is geared up to make people think it's not worth fighting for, especially if you are claiming for a mental health disability rather than a physical disability.

Now, I know a few people on here suffer depression related mental disorders, but what's the consensus on people receiving benefits for mental disabilities?

Malc

Post subject: Re: Mentally Disabled on benefits to suffer under tories
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:47 
Esoteric

I think the difficulty getting it depends on where you live Malc in honesty.

When I got home with a busted back they initially put me on med 5s for disability. I was getting basic income support at the time.

However, when it came time to look for work (after about 11 months) I was asked to fill in other forms to apply for JSA. I filled them in, and under the part where it asks you if you suffer from any other illnesses (mental, physical etc) I put down Bipolar and Autistic.

Oddly I recieved an interview letter that mentioned an asessment. So I went, thinking that it would be about finding a suitable job etc.

Instead I was asked loads of questions about my personality, temprament and etc. Stuff like -

Q - What would you do if you went to work and somebody had moved things around that belonged to you and changed positions of your belongings?
A - Smack their fucking head in.

I was only being honest. I figured honesty was the best policy. Basically my reasoning on that question was my heavy autistic tendencies to organise everything. If one thing is moved on me I go into a panic and it seriously fucks my equilibrium and I freak out.

There were other questions. Some of them pretty intruding.. Toward the end I asked her why she was asking me things like this when it was supposed to be a JSA interview and she then mentioned that because I was Bipolar and Autistic that they needed to asess me (sic probably) to see if I was a risk.

In the end she basically told me to go to my Doc and get a Med4 and file for Incapacity. I asked why and she basically said that she could not reccomend me to an employer if I posed a risk to them, but more importantly because they have had a lot of suicides by forcing Bipolar sufferers into jobs they did not want.

I was still on income support for a while because I was out of the UK for so long, but recently it was changed to incapacity. It's not much tbh, certainly not enough to have much of a quality of life but tbh? my life would be a lot fucking worse if I was forced to work in my state.

Bipolar isn't a fun condition to have. They reakon that about 70% of sufferers commit suicide by the time they're 40. I'm closing in on that now and tbh it seems to be getting worse the older I get. I swear to god lately I have been losing my memory, I can't remember things from five minutes ago and I sometimes just sit here in a daze. I suppose it could be down to the latest cocktail of pills they have put me on, but either way I'd happily swap this shit for a broken leg or two.

Personally I think the Tories are a bunch of cunts. What they're basically saying is "We don't understand mental illness and we don't fucking care. We need to get money from somewhere so we will just take it from the pretenders out there" just like the rest of the narrow minded dumb cunts who don't have a fucking clue what it's like to be mentally ill.

I wouldn't worry about it though. This shit was in the paper the other week. Their comment about cutting back mental illness benefits was met by incredibly harsh criticism from the tabloids, so the next day they retracted their statement and said they would basically send mentally ill people for further evaluation 8)

They can send me for what the fuck they like tbh. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out I'm fucked in the head. One look at my red raw bleeding fingers from all the biting and the gray hair is usually enough.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:54 
Esoteric

Sorry, shows where my brain is :(

A disability is a disability. Infact as I said, I would rather be missing a leg than have Bipolar. Sometimes my body is of no fucking use at all when my brain takes a shit. When I get really bad I cannot move, I literally hurt all over. I used to think I had all kinds of physical problems (terrible back pain, groin pain, abdominal pain) but it turns out it's the Bipolar. I get so tense and so fucked in the head it causes muscle fatigue.

At least if it was just a leg missing I would have the ability to be stable and as happy as I like to be. Instead my brain goes all over the fucking place and out of nowhere I don't know if I am coming or going. And as the years drag on I'm becoming more and more fucking sick of it to be honest. It's getting old.

Not like I can strap on a prostetic brain either really, just keep taking drugs with all kinds of shitty side effects that don't really work, just keep me ticking over.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:17 

Malc wrote:
My eldest son has Asperger's Syndrome and we get DLA for him. When we first applied they said no. But we fought the system and under appeal we got awarded a minor sum, we were advised to appeal again, and we did, and we get a much more substantial sum.

We spent the best part of 2 years fighting for something we were entitled to. We felt like giving up several times, but we kept on fighting and in the end we got what we deserved. But we did feel the system is geared up to make people think it's not worth fighting for, especially if you are claiming for a mental health disability rather than a physical disability.

I had to struggle for going on three and a half years to get DLA for my range of conditions. The whole process is just humiliating and designed to force you to throw your hands in the air despairingly and admit defeat. Heck, I had to change my GP three times before I even got one who "believed" in several conditions I have on my medical records, before I could even start the form-filling process. (Incidentally, I can't even get my family or girlfriend to accept I have something wrong with me and understand what exactly I suffer from 'inside' or how it affects me. I'm not even allowed to raise the subject.)

I feel no exaggeration in saying there is Apartheid in all but name for disabled people. You are not one of "them", the ordinary folk, and can never be on equal terms. It's basically been my teenage and adult life, having to slowly accept what opportunities are cut off permanently for me due to my conditions. The bubble of naivety burst for me when I was 12 I've experienced being expelled from a grammar school solely for receiving an SEN statement, going without a school places for over a year, and it's hardly been much of a relief since really.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:16 
Excellent Member

I think one quote from the article says it all:

Quote:
We need to ensure that all staff working with benefits claimants are properly trained in mental health issues

That, in a nutshell, is where the problem lies. Physical disabilities are much easier to assess than mental disorders, compounded by an attitude in society that says if you're suffering from some type of mental problem then you need to pull your bloody socks up and get on with it.

Maybe in two-hundred year's time (or so) these attitudes will change as we understand more about how the brain works and perhaps there'll be more effective ways to treat mental disabilities, but at the moment there is a lot of bigotry founded in ignorance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:07 
Gogmagog

Hmm, I can see this becoming a can of worms very rapidly.

Source.

Quote:

● Respect for those who cannot work – recipients of Incapacity Benefit who
really cannot work will stay outside the return to work process.
● Employment for those who can – a comprehensive programme of support
for jobseekers including training, development, work experience and postemployment
mentoring.
● Assessments for those claiming out of work benefits – rapid assessments
for every recipient, including all new and existing claimants, to assess
suitability for work.
● Limits to claiming out of work benefits – non-participants or those who refuse
reasonable job offers will lose their out of work benefits, and anyone who
claims for more than two out of three years

Is what they say they are aiming for.

And

Quote:

2.2 What is wrong with Incapacity Benefit?
Incapacity Benefit is a trap for large numbers of people, few of whom ever find their
way back into the workplace.
There are currently 2.64 million people claiming Incapacity Benefit, 120,000 more
than in 1997.13 This in itself is a very poor record, but there are particularly
worrying trends in the number of young people claiming Incapacity Benefit:
● 52 per cent more under 25s are claiming Incapacity Benefit than in 1999;14
● there are now 6,600 16-17 year olds claiming Incapacity Benefit;15 and
● around one in fifteen Incapacity Benefit claimants is aged under 25.16
The amount of time that people remain on Incapacity Benefit is also very troubling:
● at the moment you are more likely to die or retire than get a job if you have been
on Incapacity Benefit for more than two years;17 and
● the number of long-term Incapacity Benefit claimants has risen under the present
Government and more than half of the people now claiming Incapacity Benefit
have been receiving it for more than five years.

So, my reading of it is they want people to get off IB as once people get on that it's highly unlikly they ever get off it, and for them to start looking for work and if they don't, then they don't get their £78 notes a week, as at the moment people on IB don't need to participate in any back to work programs.

I don't see what the problem is really, if people are assessed to be well enough to work then they should jolly well do so, and if they are not, then they are not.

Ideally a state would like people in employment as it lowers the burden, leaving them more money in the kitty to spend on Killer death 2000 missiles, and they can gain more revenue through taxation. It's those that can work that don't which the state, and the taxpayers get pissed off about.

What's the difference between someone who can't work through no fault of their own spending their cash on computer games and lager and someone who is out of work through no fault of their own spending their money on computer games and lager?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:24 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
I don't see what the problem is really, if people are assessed to be well enough to work then they should jolly well do so, and if they are not, then they are not.

The problem is the accuracy of the assessment, especially in relation to mental health disorders, and the fear that many people will be assessed to be fit when they aren't.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:32 
Gogmagog

End of an Era wrote:
MaliA wrote:

The problem is the accuracy of the assessment, especially in relation to mental health disorders, and the fear that many people will be assessed to be fit when they aren't.

At the moment it's:

Quote:

An approved healthcare professional, who has been trained in handling Incapacity Benefit claims, will assess your claim and provide advice to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), who is responsible for benefit claims....

The healthcare professional may recommend that you attend a medical examination if they feel they need more information about your condition before your claim can be processed....

An approved healthcare professional will consider the questionnaire and any medical reports, along with any other information you may have provided. If the healthcare professional feels that the DWP will need more information before they can make a decision on your benefit claim, they will recommend that you attend a medical examination....

So, basically, they are asking "someone who knows". Which I think is fair enough.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:38 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
So, basically, they are asking "someone who knows". Which I think is fair enough.

Malc wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:42 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

MaliA wrote:
So, my reading of it is they want people to get off IB as once people get on that it's highly unlikly they ever get off it

However they tend to make it that hard to get on it that a lot of people when on are going to be there for life.

Instead they want to push people through the rigerous , demanding , upsetting process multiple times on a regular basis to make sure they are still unable to work.

If you'd lost all your limbs , they still want to assess you every X number of months / years to make sure you havent grown them back.

MaliA wrote:

I agree , however that is not actually what happens , however the process also has some .... what i'd call "nasty" caveats , one being that they just need to decide your fit for *some* type of work , and that can be anything they decide , so disabled from the neck down ? , you can work in a call centre cause you can still speak and i'm sure they can tie a pencil to your head so you can press a button to pick up the phone :-)
Therefore your fit for work , so your not getting any more money cut you scrounging b*stard !

MaliA wrote:
It's those that can work that don't which the state, and the taxpayers get pissed off about.

Again I agree , however a number of things can be 'faked' and to try and make sure your not faking things they will put people through things which will seriously make their life worse / unbearable and then want to do it again in X amount of time to make sure they are not 'trying it on'

There are people out there that will cheat the system , but there are lots of people who need this and what they put these people through in the name of 'weeding out the cheats' is seriously disturbing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:42 
Gogmagog

That's an anecdote. We don't know if it's indicative of the whole system, or not. As much as I sympathise, I don't think discussion of individual cases is going to be terribly productive. People are fallible, hence negligence cases.

What sort of system would be better? Self diagnosis? I doubt it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:48 
Gogmagog

zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:
So, my reading of it is they want people to get off IB as once people get on that it's highly unlikly they ever get off it

However they tend to make it that hard to get on it that a lot of people when on are going to be there for life.

Instead they want to push people through the rigerous , demanding , upsetting process multiple times on a regular basis to make sure they are still unable to work.

If you'd lost all your limbs , they still want to assess you every X number of months / years to make sure you havent grown them back.

I can see what you are trying to say here, but those cases would be the outliers on the bellcurve. The other way of looking it is "Turn up here for 2 hours once every 6 months and you get £2 grand.

zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I agree , however that is not actually what happens , however the process also has some .... what i'd call "nasty" caveats , one being that they just need to decide your fit for *some* type of work , and that can be anything they decide , so disabled from the neck down ? , you can work in a call centre cause you can still speak and i'm sure they can tie a pencil to your head so you can press a button to pick up the phone :-)
Therefore your fit for work , so your not getting any more money cut you scrounging b*stard !

I don't believe that for a moment.

zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:
It's those that can work that don't which the state, and the taxpayers get pissed off about.

Again I agree , however a number of things can be 'faked' and to try and make sure your not faking things they will put people through things which will seriously make their life worse / unbearable and then want to do it again in X amount of time to make sure they are not 'trying it on'

There are people out there that will cheat the system , but there are lots of people who need this and what they put these people through in the name of 'weeding out the cheats' is seriously disturbing

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Tehre does have ato be "a system" and that "system" is to be designed in such a way as to cover 95% of stuff quickly and efficiently, the other 5% will cause problems, yes, but these can be dealt with.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:56 
8-Bit Champion

MaliA wrote:
I can see what you are trying to say here, but those cases would be the outliers on the bellcurve. The other way of looking it is "Turn up here for 2 hours once every 6 months and you get £2 grand.

I'm sure they are on the edge , and for Physically disabled people they are probably things that they can repeat quite easily (although how many people are on it for 'back problems' which are hard to determine and easy to fake)

However for those with a mental disability that 2 hour process can be something they worry about for the whole 6 months leading up to it , then go through hell to actually have the meeting.

BTW your suggesting a meeting every 6 months by a panel to assess someones possiblity to work , any idea how much that would cost vs's what you'd have paid out ?

zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:
, you can work in a call centre cause you can still speak and i'm sure they can tie a pencil to your head so you can press a button to pick up the phone :-)

It is 'any work' and not 'suitable work' , i'll admit i'm pushing things to an extreme here to try and make a point , but it is what they are trying to do.

MaliA wrote:
I'm going to respectfully disagree. Tehre does have ato be "a system" and that "system" is to be designed in such a way as to cover 95% of stuff quickly and efficiently, the other 5% will cause problems, yes, but these can be dealt with.

But you'll torture those 5% because its the system ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:05 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
That's an anecdote...

So what? It is evidence of where the system has proven itself fallible.

MaliA wrote:
I don't think discussion of individual cases is going to be terribly productive. People are fallible, hence negligence cases.

I think discussion of individual cases is particularly relevant, given that this new legislation may affect individual people.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:07 
Gogmagog

zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I'm sure they are on the edge , and for Physically disabled people they are probably things that they can repeat quite easily (although how many people are on it for 'back problems' which are hard to determine and easy to fake)

However for those with a mental disability that 2 hour process can be something they worry about for the whole 6 months leading up to it , go through hell to actually have the meeting.

The options are:

1) "We'll see how fit you are to work, give us a call when you are and we'll stop the cash then"
2) "We'll see how fit you are to work, and review this every 6 months or so"

What do you think the problems would be with option 1?

zaphod79 wrote:
BTW your suggesting a meeting every 6 months by a panel to assess someones possiblity to work , any idea how much that would cost vs's what you'd have paid out ?

It came from the "they still want to assess you every X number of months / years" that you mentioned.

zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
, you can work in a call centre cause you can still speak and i'm sure they can tie a pencil to your head so you can press a button to pick up the phone :-)

It is 'any work' and not 'suitable work' , i'll admit i'm pushing things to an extreme here to try and make a point , but it is what they are trying to do.

Where does it say "any work"? If someone is deemed fit to do X,Y and Z then why should they still claim benefits and not attempt to get employment?

zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I'm going to respectfully disagree. There does have to be "a system" and that "system" is to be designed in such a way as to cover 95% of stuff quickly and efficiently, the other 5% will cause problems, yes, but these can be dealt with.

No, I'm saying that the outlying 5% that don't slot nicely into the process can be dealt with "by other means". It's fairly simple to draw up protocols to sort things like this out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 
Unpossible!

I know from experience that sufferers of chronic depression can be considered for DLA. There are a lot of hoops through which you have to jump, but it is currently possible.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

[edit]Nothing to see here

[edit][edit]Damn quote system

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:28 
Gogmagog

End of an Era wrote:
MaliA wrote:
That's an anecdote...

Where "fallible" means there's a system of appeals, some might even go as far as to call them safeguards.
Also, in this case it worked out in the end.

End of an Era wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I don't think discussion of individual cases is going to be terribly productive. People are fallible, hence negligence cases.

I think discussion of individual cases is particularly relevant, given that this new legislation may affect individual people.

Option 1) Devise system that can deal with 95% of claims efficiently, giving the right result, set up process for tricky ones
Option 2) Tailor system to each individual at their level, covers everything

Which one would be costlier and trickier to implement?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:36 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

Grim... wrote:
What do you need money for Asperger's for?

Eh?

WARNING!!! DO NOT CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE THE SIGHT OF MAXIMUM PWNAGE!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TheAlbin0Kid wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Eh?

First post.
But I retract my question, as this is a discussion that's going to get nasty quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:51 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

Grim... wrote:
TheAlbin0Kid wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Eh?

First post.
But I retract my question, as this is a discussion that's going to get nasty quickly.

Well if it doesn't then I'll come back later and answer your question and put words into your mouth :p

WARNING!!! DO NOT CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE THE SIGHT OF MAXIMUM PWNAGE!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:54 
baron of techno

There's probably a line of thinking which goes "your problem child, your problem".
I think it's going to be a hard one to discuss dispassionately though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:57 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

TheAlbin0Kid wrote:
Well if it doesn't then I'll come back later and answer your question and put words into your mouth :p

Or I could just let Kalmar do it for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:58 
8-Bit Champion

MaliA wrote:
The options are:

1) "We'll see how fit you are to work, give us a call when you are and we'll stop the cash then"

Why are those the only options ? , as an example why is there not a

3) "We'll see how fit you are to work , and if you fall into a specific set of criteria we will wait for you to be in the right circumstances to go back to work"

I'm sure there could be many more (this is similar to your point at the end about doing something different for those 5% however i really dont see that happening)

MaliA wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

Where does it say "any work"?

In this documentation it does not , in previous ones i've seen (and in assessments) i've seen the phrase that they could do any work, i'm trying to avoid going into specific case details (as you've said you didnt want to discuss them) , but as far as i'm aware the criteria is that they could do 'any' work and those on the panel can suggest that the person may be suitable for specific kinds (i.e. my extreme with the person who has difficulty with moving at all could be used in a call centre without considering any other circumstances)

And again my example is using a physical disability , a mental one will be *much* harder to qualify why something is not suitable.

MaliA wrote:
If someone is deemed fit to do X,Y and Z then why should they still claim benefits and not attempt to get employment?

Okay , different tact (again an extreme) but lets say that rather than X , Y and Z , they are only deemed suitable to do Z and there is no Z jobs around in this area , what happens ?

"Ahh we have loads of jobs , look at all these X and Y ones , you can go on jobseekers allowance and we'll save a fortune before a Z job which would suit you comes along and your lucky enough to get it."
Oh and the Z one is a job which pays (after you take everything else into consideration) less than your going to get from your current benefits - but your fit for that type of work - go out and work scrounger !

Is it not possible to look at things for these people and actually try to help them to get work rather than just moving them in with all the other people seeking employment ?

so in your earlier part this would be

4) "We'll see how fit you are to work , and if you fall into a specific set of criteria we will help you more than our normal jobseekers stuff to help you get back to work" ?

But in actual fact what will happen is "rejected" and they are dumped back in with everyone else

MaliA wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

No, I'm saying that the outlying 5% that don't slot nicely into the process can be dealt with "by other means". It's fairly simple to draw up protocols to sort things like this out.

But no-one is saying they will do this , and i really dont trust them to , do you ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:59 
Unpossible!

kalmar wrote:
There's probably a line of thinking which goes "your problem child, your problem".

Are we doing this?

If a child has mental problems, then it's true, you may not need hoists, stairlifts and modified bathrooms, as if they were in a wheelchair, but support would still be needed for other things, such as different schools, travel, special educational needs and other, less obvious, but still money draining things.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:09 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
End of an Era wrote:
MaliA wrote:
That's an anecdote...

Where "fallible" means there's a system of appeals, some might even go as far as to call them safeguards.

End of an Era wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Option 1) Devise system that can deal with 95% of claims efficiently, giving the right result, set up process for tricky ones

Are you saying that the current system does deal with 95% of claims efficiently, or that a new system should deal with 95% efficiently? In either case, how did you arrive at 95% and what do you judge to be "efficient"?

As for the relative costs of each "option", it would be equally possible for Option 1 to cost ten times as much as Option 2, be far more difficult to implement and ultimately fail to deliver. Without knowing the detail of the implementation of either, I can't answer which would be the more costly or more difficult to enact and no one can.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:11 
INFINITE POWAH

MrDavPaz wrote:
kalmar wrote:

Are we doing this?

If a child has mental problems, then it's true, you may not need hoists, stairlifts and modified bathrooms, as if they were in a wheelchair, but support would still be needed for other things, such as different schools, travel, special educational needs and other, less obvious, but still money draining things.

Christ, :this:.

My sister has one child with severe physical and mental disabilities, one child with Asperger's, and one perfectly normal child. It's a wonder her and her husband have coped, despite the council's continued efforts to shaft them as hard as possible.

What makes it worse is that there's a family down the road from them with a physically disabled child who, because the parents don't have jobs, have been given a nice big adapted house, a brand new converted peopel carrier, a free taxi for their kid to school every day, and lots of money. Because her and her husband have jobs, my sister has to struggle pay for everything herself, and has had to take out loans to do so. Did you know it costs £15,000 to have a people carrier converted to having a wheelchair ramp and tie downs? >:(

Anyway, off topic. But I can't imagine squeezing the budget for disabled assistance is going to bring any positive outcomes, despite Cameron's insistence that the third sector will step in to do it all. Fuck will they.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:21 
Gogmagog

zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:
The options are:

Why are those the only options ? , as an example why is there not a

3) "We'll see how fit you are to work , and if you fall into a specific set of criteria we will wait for you to be in the right circumstances to go back to work"

I'm sure there could be many more (this is similar to your point at the end about doing something different for those 5% however i really dont see that happening)

It's pretty similar to 2, but I think the idea is fairly sound. The sticking point will be who decides 'when', and when I'm sure you will agree it's not productive for either party to be on the benefits for an extended period of time, as history shows they will never get a job.

zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

Where does it say "any work"?

In this documentation it does not , in previous ones i've seen (and in assessments) i've seen the phrase that they could do any work, i'm trying to avoid going into specific case details (as you've said you didnt want to discuss them) , but as far as i'm aware the criteria is that they could do 'any' work and those on the panel can suggest that the person may be suitable for specific kinds (i.e. my extreme with the person who has difficulty with moving at all could be used in a call centre without considering any other circumstances)

And again my example is using a physical disability , a mental one will be *much* harder to qualify why something is not suitable.

So, broadly speaking, if someone can work, and they choose not to, they should continue to get monies from the government? And 'suitable' work is hard to define. i'd say I'm not suited to work on an oil rig, or up a tree, but needs must, and if someone can do the work, then maybe they should?

zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:
If someone is deemed fit to do X,Y and Z then why should they still claim benefits and not attempt to get employment?

Okay , different tact (again an extreme) but lets say that rather than X , Y and Z , they are only deemed suitable to do Z and there is no Z jobs around in this area , what happens ?

"Ahh we have loads of jobs , look at all these X and Y ones , you can go on jobseekers allowance and we'll save a fortune before a Z job which would suit you comes along and your lucky enough to get it."
Oh and the Z one is a job which pays (after you take everything else into consideration) less than your going to get from your current benefits - but your fit for that type of work - go out and work scrounger !

Is it not possible to look at things for these people and actually try to help them to get work rather than just moving them in with all the other people seeking employment ?

See earlier from Tory policy:

Quote:

Employment for those who can – a comprehensive programme of support
for jobseekers including training, development, work experience and postemployment
mentoring.

So that system is already proposed.

zaphod79 wrote:
so in your earlier part this would be

4) "We'll see how fit you are to work , and if you fall into a specific set of criteria we will help you more than our normal jobseekers stuff to help you get back to work" ?

But in actual fact what will happen is "rejected" and they are dumped back in with everyone else

See above.

zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

But no-one is saying they will do this , and i really dont trust them to , do you ?

It's clearly in place already, as with malc's case.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:25 
Gogmagog

End of an Era wrote:
MaliA wrote:
End of an Era wrote:
MaliA wrote:
That's an anecdote...

End of an Era wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Are you saying that the current system does deal with 95% of claims efficiently, or that a new system should deal with 95% efficiently? In either case, how did you arrive at 95% and what do you judge to be "efficient"?

95% is a purely arbitrary figure, and considerably faster to type than "the vast majority". It also makes maths easier for me, so I quite like to use it.

End of an Era wrote:
As for the relative costs of each "option", it would be equally possible for Option 1 to cost ten times as much as Option 2, be far more difficult to implement and ultimately fail to deliver. Without knowing the detail of the implementation of either, I can't answer which would be the more costly or more difficult to enact and no one can.

Right, to make it slightly easier, why are made to measure suits more expensive to produce than off the peg suits?

As a further example, when it comes to working with systems, I'll give you an example, when I was a scientist, we developed a system that would from point A to point B which was a several step process pick up about 98% of things. To go back and pick up the other 2% took 4 times as long, as things had to be tailored. it's the same principle.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:29 
INFINITE POWAH

Funnily enough, off the peg wedding dresses usually cost more than made to measure ones. I'm not sure how we work that into a parallel to disability benefits, but still.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:33 
Gogmagog

Mr Chris wrote:
Funnily enough, off the peg wedding dresses usually cost more than made to measure ones. I'm not sure how we work that into a parallel to disability benefits, but still.

And you looked lovely, darling.

If you tailor everything, on a large scale, to each individual it will end up more costly than designing a scheme that works for the vast majority (Ctrl-C'd that one).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:34 
8-Bit Champion

MaliA wrote:

Quote:

mentoring.

Where does it say this is anything other than "standard" for all jobseekers ?

MaliA wrote:

Interesting , i thought you didnt want specifics , so without going into details on it , his post seems to suggest it was not an easy thing to do and made them jump through hoops / made them have to fight each step to get somewhere , and in theory they will now have to do it all again ?

I'm not saying the current system either works or is appropriate , I'm saying their proposals for it look "worse" to me.

Two simple questions on this :

1) If the proposals go through do you think (for your 95%) things would be better or worse than they are now ?
2) If the proposals go through do you think (for the other 5%) things would be better or worse than they are now ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:41 
Gogmagog

zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Quote:

mentoring.

Where does it say this is anything other than "standard" for all jobseekers ?

It was referring to people on Incapacity Benefit.

zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Interesting , i thought you didnt want specifics , so without going into details on it , his post seems to suggest it was not an easy thing to do and made them jump through hoops / made them have to fight each step to get somewhere , and in theory they will now have to do it all again ?

I'm not saying the current system either works or is appropriate , I'm saying their proposals for it look "worse" to me.

No, but it illustrates nicely how the minority can be sorted. Granted, it's apparently a labyrinthine process, but it exists.

With regard to it "being worse", I'm not sure how. One supposes it depends from which viewpoint you look from. Their aims and objectives to reduce the need for benefits and getting people back into work or another.

zaphod79 wrote:
Two simple questions on this :

1) If the proposals go through do you think (for your 95%) things would be better or worse than they are now ?
2) If the proposals go through do you think (for the other 5%) things would be better or worse than they are now ?

I'd have to read further on it, before making a judgment, although I can't anything fundamentally wrong with the proposals.

Gimme a few minutes on it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:46 

Personally, I think that the whole issue of mental disability is very poorly handled in this country. Like so many other things 'we' do so badly within the public sector (such as healthcare in general, education, social housing, local government - you name it, really), there are doubtless other much better models out there in the rest of the world that we could emulate?

Of course, no doubt the Tory measures proposed are all about one thing: saving money. Thanks to Labour's complete mismanagement of the economy (which could hardly now be denied by even the most diehard supporter of theirs, given that we're the last major economy still in recession and have fallen behind even Italy in GDP terms), it's probably now a case of stark necessity, unfortunately. That's fine as far as it goes, but the whole notion of simply trying to starve people back into work through curtailment of their benefits, when done simplistically and in isolation, is as counterproductive as it is distasteful.

In my opinion, what's needed is a far, far greater emphasis on the treatment of mental disorders, as well as more accurate diagnosis and categorisation for fitness to work. It's equally immoral to condemn someone to a lifetime living on marginal benefits when they *could* work, if only they were to receive the best intensive treatment available and crucially, lifelong support. No doubt this could well be even more expensive to achieve than the current (or proposed) models, but personally I'd say it was a price worth paying for those many thousands whose life and self esteem could be immeasurably improved?

That said though, we also must concede that there are probably plenty of people out there who are claiming disability benefits without reasonable just cause not to work at all, and no doubt this isn't entirely their own fault, due to the political expediency of successive governments to shift them onto the 'sick' and away from unemployment stats, which is itself unforgivable. Nevertheless, it is right that we must try to belatedly address this as well, both for their sake and ours, in the most genuinely effective and ethical way possible. In a word, carrot, stick and real, effective treatment that is of a much higher standard than that which is currently offered.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:50 
INFINITE POWAH

Other than the ctrl-c dig at the public sector in para 1, I agree pretty wholeheartedly with Cavey.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 
Gogmagog

In a nutshell, the proposal is this:

Are you on IB?

If so, then do Work Capability Assessment.
Do we judge you as being able to work?
No - receive unconditional support and can have more support if they want it
No (non permanent) - Come back and be assessed again at a later date.
Yes - Go to Jobseekers, lose £20 if we think you were taking the piss
Can prepare for work - referred to Welfare to work, but with additional support.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:55 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
Right, to make it slightly easier, why are made to measure suits more expensive to produce than off the peg suits?

Because off-the-peg suits are produced in countries where child labour is exploited all along the supply-chain and the production line, wages are low and human rights are largely ignored?

MailA wrote:
As a further example, when it comes to working with systems, I'll give you an example, when I was a scientist, we developed a system that would from point A to point B which was a several step process pick up about 98% of things. To go back and pick up the other 2% took 4 times as long, as things had to be tailored. it's the same principle.

Ahh, but that's anecdotal evidence - and it's irrelevant because your process was clearly designed to discover something quantifiable and repeatable, which is not necessarily the case with a mental disorder which by, their very nature, are as unique as the individuals who are blighted with them. No two cases of depression are the same.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:58 
Gogmagog

End of an Era wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Because off-the-peg suits are produced in countries where child labour is exploited all along the supply-chain and the production line, wages are low and human rights are largely ignored?

MailA wrote:

Ahh, but that's anecdotal evidence - and it's irrelevant because your process was clearly designed to discover something quantifiable and repeatable, which is not necessarily the case with a mental disorder which by, their very nature, are as unique as the individuals who are blighted with them. No two cases of depression are the same.

It's still an input/output system, and those that don't get boxed up nicely can get picked up.

I'm unsure if you're pissed off with the system, or the system's treatment of individuals here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:59 
Excellent Member

I have a feeling that mental disability support is probably going to be lacking pretty much everywhere; because it presents no physcial symptoms, it's often easy to slip through the cracks (but maybe those pesky Swedes have a few good ideas - a brief Google suggests they also have problems with underdiagnosis, but predictably have better care once you're in the system).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:02 

MaliA wrote:
In a nutshell, the proposal is this:

Are you on IB?

If so, then do Work Capability Assessment.
Do we judge you as being able to work?
No - receive unconditional support and can have more support if they want it
No (non permanent) - Come back and be assessed again at a later date.
Yes - Go to Jobseekers, lose £20 if we think you were taking the piss
Can prepare for work - referred to Welfare to work, but with additional support.

What happens now then, if you get disability benefits you just carry on receiving them forever?

The devil is going to be in the detail with all this. The principle that people should work if they can is a nice thing for politicians to shout but really it's completely uncontroversial. Certainly concentrating on "scroungers" is a very populist type of policy but I'm not sure how much real difference any of this is ever actually going to make. As long as you have a system that allows people with genuine disabilities access to benefits without it being unacceptably odious then there will be those who'll game that system. I guess more checks might make a few % difference but I can't see it being a lot more than that when it all shakes down.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:03 
Gogmagog

Peter St. John wrote:
I have a feeling that mental disability support is probably going to be lacking pretty much everywhere; because it presents no physcial symptoms, it's often easy to slip through the cracks (but maybe those pesky Swedes have a few good ideas - a brief Google suggests they also have problems with underdiagnosis, but predictably have better care once you're in the system).

Err, the Swedes sterilised women "released from prison, the mentally ill, people with learning difficulties, the poor, epileptics, alcoholics and women of "mixed racial quality" up to 1976....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:05 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
Peter St. John wrote:

Err, the Swedes sterilised women "released from prison, the mentally ill, people with learning difficulties, the poor, epileptics, alcoholics and women of "mixed racial quality" up to 1976....

1976 was 33 years ago. One or two things, and the people in power, have changed since then, guy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:06 
Gogmagog

Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Peter St. John wrote:

1976 was 33 years ago. One or two things, and the people in power, have changed since then, guy.

Free Polanski!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:08 
Excellent Member

What Mr. Chris said! But it goes to my point a little; mental disabilities in even the most progressive societies have tended to be swept under the carpet or even worse. The last couple of decades show a change in that, but I think there's still a long way to go...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:13 
INFINITE POWAH

Peter St. John wrote:
it goes to my point a little; mental disabilities in even the most progressive societies have tended to be swept under the carpet or even worse. The last couple of decades show a change in that, but I think there's still a long way to go...

Physical disablities have largely been treated the same, historically - they've just come in from the cold a bit sooner and further than mental disabilities.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:21 
baron of techno

Captain Caveman wrote:
In my opinion, what's needed is a far, far greater emphasis on the treatment of mental disorders, as well as more accurate diagnosis and categorisation for fitness to work. It's equally immoral to condemn someone to a lifetime living on marginal benefits when they *could* work, if only they were to receive the best intensive treatment available and crucially, lifelong support. No doubt this could well be even more expensive to achieve than the current (or proposed) models, but personally I'd say it was a price worth paying for those many thousands whose life and self esteem could be immeasurably improved?

That said though, we also must concede that there are probably plenty of people out there who are claiming disability benefits without reasonable just cause not to work at all, and no doubt this isn't entirely their own fault, due to the political expediency of successive governments to shift them onto the 'sick' and away from unemployment stats, which is itself unforgivable. Nevertheless, it is right that we must try to belatedly address this as well, both for their sake and ours, in the most genuinely effective and ethical way possible. In a word, carrot, stick and real, effective treatment that is of a much higher standard than that which is currently offered.

:this:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 13:24 
Isn't that lovely?

Grim... wrote:
TheAlbin0Kid wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Eh?

First post.

The government has put in place the disability Living allowance.

This link tells you who is entitled to what

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 13:27 
Isn't that lovely?

As for why we wanted the money, our main argument was that our eldest needs so much care it prevents Pauline from doing the job she wants to do, and if we had the money that this benefit supplies then Pauline would be able to spend that time caring for him.

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 15:44 
Esoteric

End of an Era wrote:
I think one quote from the article says it all:

Quote:
We need to ensure that all staff working with benefits claimants are properly trained in mental health issues

That, in a nutshell, is where the problem lies. Physical disabilities are much easier to assess than mental disorders, compounded by an attitude in society that says if you're suffering from some type of mental problem then you need to pull your bloody socks up and get on with it.

Maybe in two-hundred year's time (or so) these attitudes will change as we understand more about how the brain works and perhaps there'll be more effective ways to treat mental disabilities, but at the moment there is a lot of bigotry founded in ignorance.

I have been for two further assessments. There was the initial one at the job center and then within a couple of weeks I was shipped off to Brighton to see another specialist. I can see why they're doing it tbh, and I have no problem with it :)

At my age I just didn't care any more. When I started to realise that "hey, I'm a bit radio rental, what the fuck's going on?" I initially decided not to do anything. But the more time goes on the more you have to face it. Thus, when I go to my shrink and they ask me how I am feeling I don't try and hide anything. I tell them all of the weird and whacky shit that goes through my head, basically down to the minor details.

I've just got done an ADHD assessment (because apparently before determining Bipolar in the UK they do that, fair enough) but last time I went to the shrink I was pretty down tbh. First time they had ever seen me that way. So now they are sending me to a Bipolar specialist. Half of the problem with being diagnosed in the UK I have found is because the meetings with the shrink are so few and far between because of the NHS that it could take years. When I had my assessments in the USA my shrink asked me to go every day for three months so that he could assess me accurately. Sure enough, Bipolar and mild autism were the end results.

I guess it's just going to take a lot longer in the UK for them to diagnose it based on the way they see me (once every two months).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 15:48 
Gogmagog

But you're working now, and not having to live off the claims, so it's all good?

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next