Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: FRANKENSTORM!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 21:46 
Excellent Member

Niche Forum Content Time!

Hey folks, it's time for another Hurricane Season thread involving more wild conjecture from me. This time it's Hurricane Sandy, a modest hurricane that packed something of a punch in the Caribbean causing a fair bit of property damage and, sadly, killing sixty of so people. It's currently tracked to hit the Eastern Seaboard between the hours of two and eight o'clock on Tuesday morning.

This isn't any sort of normal hurricane, however. Usually after bopping around the gulf waters hurricanes take advantage of environmental flow. The general mass of air wants to move flow towards low pressure areas, while high pressure systems block flow movement. This is why things are nice, sunny and settled when we have a big blob of high pressure over the UK. It blocks any attempt by frigid Russian air masses or nasty wet Atlantic troughs from raining on our parade.

Unfortunately as we have seen this usual happy chunk of high pressure has instead stalled this year over the mid Atlantic, causing the bad weather from the North to flow around it and towards the UK, which became vexed by a parade of come-hither lows. It's this same high pressure zone squatting in the mid Atlantic which is preventing Hurricane Sandy from curving out over sea. Picture it like this - a hurricane is like a leaf flowing down the gutter towards a drain. But now something's blocked this drain, so the leaf stalls. In this case causing the hurricane to just edge slowly Northward. This has happened oft before and although it causes lots of rain and choppy waters along the coast it isn't too bad.

But in this case a new drain has opened up, this time over Canada as an aggressive winter storm of low pressure is sucking that air mass up and to the East. It's this that is steering Sandy towards the North Eastern seaboard.

But hey, hurricanes are fuelled by warm wate and are killed by cold right? Fuggedabout! (As imminently affected New Jersey types might say.)

Well, in this case, no. And for a number of reasons. First of all the hurricane is trundling over the gulf stream, a warmer mass of water than it usually gets to feed off in that area. Of course, it doesn't compare to the pleasant bath water of the gulf, but it is still having an effect. And due to global warming it's on average a degree warmer than it used to be a decade ago. It may not sound like much, but it's a big factor. Moist heat energy more than anything else fuels hurricanes.

The second factor is that the winter storm from Canada. It's a big trough of cold that's going to hook up with the warm hurricane mass. When warm and cold meet it causes 'baroclinic' energy and this injection is going to power the hurricane and sustain it. It's not the same injection as a hot spot of warm gulf water would have, but its still something. Eventually this cold mass will overwhelm and utterly destroy Sandy, probably someplace just South of the Canadian border, but it will be an unpleasant and very wet storm until then.

The third factor is that Sandy's incredibly big. Really, really big. Super big. Its tropical storm force winds extend over 660 miles in diameter, while 12 foot high seas extend over 1,000 miles across. Now, the wind damage isn't going to be that bad. It's modelled at 2.3 out of 6 on the IKE damage potential scale. So we won't see any roofs ripped off, even at landfall. However, all the trees are still in leaf so there will be lots of fallen branches and the odd tree. Doesn't sound so bad? Well remember that Sandy's reach is massive, so this is essentially three and more states full of simultaneous power outages as the network becomes overwhelmed with downed power lines. Some estimates are predicting up to a week without electricity for a big chunk of the North Eastern seaboard. Part of the reason why she is so big is that wind sheer is disrupting her formation, stopping her from tightening up and shrinking like normal hurricanes. This is good in that it keeps the wind speeds down, but bad in that it's causing the above massive reach.

Another factor that affects her size is her super-low pressure, a characteristic of huge weak intensity storms. Now it's very low at 950mb and this low pressure as much as the wind is what is driving the waves and piling them up - which is the foruth factor. This steadily mounting wave mass is being pushed North of the hurricane and when it turns its inevitable curve to the left the storm surge is going to mount up on the North Eastern side. With the current 'cone of uncertainty' resting between Chesapeake Bay and the top of Rhode Island, Sandy is universally averaging a modelled landfall bang slap on New Jersey, which means that New York is getting a big chunk of the surge. This surge is going to hit on a lunar tide. Storm surge is predicted at between seven and eleven feet according to SLOSH models for New York. If the subway flooded, Dr. Klaus H. Jacob of Columbia University's Earth Institute cites that the subway would be knocked out for a month, at the cost of around 55 billion dollars. The IKE rating puts its damage potential at 5.4 out of 6.

So, it all sounds terrible mega-doom like the media say. Well, there is reason to be hopeful, if not sanguine.

First of which is that Sandy has sped up in her turn. This still puts her on New Jersey, but she will be crossing the ocean faster. Current projections have just shifted from her crawling over seaboard at such a rate as to make high and low tides meaningless, to a brisker stroll which should have her crossing at low tide. This will mean that her storm surge should be about the same as Irene's; troubling but not enough to seriously inconvenience New York. Dr. Jeff Masters puts her at a 20% chance of flooding part of the system.

Secondly is that Sandy is hitting when the soil isn't nearly so satuated as Irene's. This may mean less tree loss, less power outages and a lot less flooding than we saw in Vermont and upper New York State, which was the main cause of dollar damage.

So it's all up in the year. The media are talking up the 'Frankenstorm' and making it sound like a certain monster. It's one bad motherfucker, that's sure. But I don't think its anywhere near apocalyptic. One thing that's making me frown at the hype is that Irene had a 5.2 out of 6 destructive potential for New York modelled as its storm surge, and though it caused four feet of flooding in Battery Park it to be honest was a damp squib for the coast. (It was the flooding in the inland states which made it a monster.) Now, if Sandy slows down again and if the sheer stops playing up in the near future, causing an intensification, and if that high tide is present... things might be very unpleasant indeed and insurance company workers will have to say goodbye to their bonuses.

But rumours have it that the insurance market is predicting this one at a modest $2 billion, so it may not actually be that bad at all.

Of course, the worst hurricane New York ever suffered was in 1938, which barged in unannounced with a big storm surge and killed six hundred, mainly on Rhode Island. It also almost drowned Katherine Hepburn, which would have meant no Bringing up Baby or African Queen. But Sandy isn't going to be one of those though, so phew. In fact, I think it's not going to be anywhere near as bad as the American media have it. One to be concerned about, sure, but nothing truly awful.

I think mainly why I find this one so fascinating is that there hasn't been one before like it. It's got the scientists stumped and they've admitted that a lot of what they're predicting is conjecture. The SLOSH models aren't as accurate for the Eastern Seaboard as they are for the gulf states for obvious reasons, so they just don't know for sure what it's going to do. But it's kinda fascinating trying to find out. Plus it'll be interesting seeing how it'll affect the US elections. Though I am trying not to look.

Go here for well reasoned updates:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters

Stay here for poorly translated scraching-heads updates. My opinion may change dramatically, the next 48 hours are going to reveal a lot about this storm and show us whether its a ho-hum or a massive shitting-crikey.

P.S: Subject title refers to the hurricane being dead on arrival or drunk and disorderly, not people. I don't think this one is going to be a killer, but it may be election disrupting and economically awful, obv.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

Post subject: Re: FRANKENSTORM!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 22:25 
Gogmagog

How will this affect flights?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 23:32 
Excellent Member

Where's she flying from and when?

Detroit Free Press:

Quote:

Michigan travelers headed for the east coast next week can change flights ahead of Hurricane Sandy.

Airlines are waiving the change fee -- usually $150 -- and allowing travelers to re-book instead of trying to fly through the storm.

Delta, Detroit Metro's biggest airline, is offering weather waivers for flights Oct. 29-31 to and from Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. Passengers can re-book to fly anytime before Nov. 4 (more details here).

For a complete list of weather waivers by airline, Ben Muzbaugh of USA Today's "Today in the Sky" has compiled a list.

Keep checking with airlines for any changes to these waiver rules.

Even travelers who don't plan to change flights should make sure their airlines have a way to contact them via text, email or phone to provide flight status or cancellation updates. Anyone who has a flight cancelled or subject to long delays is entitled to a refund.

The list is here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinth ... s/1661457/

Hope it helps.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 23:44 
Gogmagog

Baltimore. i'm somewhat concerned, truth be told. The colonials get all excited over a spot of weather and I'd rather she wasn't caught up in it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 23:54 
Gogmagog

Oh, yeah
forgot to mention it. Maryland is in a state of National Emergency. I should probably get someone to fedex her a handgun or something.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 0:05 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Pfft. She's well enough armed with that glare of hers. Wendy comin'.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 0:22 
Gogmagog

To be fair, she could solve LA's gang problems with a mop and a slightly dirty kitchen floor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:10 
Excellent Member

I'm afraid all flights are being cancelled today and tomorrow from NY, Baltimore, DC and the surrounding area. I'd say its probable that they'll be cancelled on Tuesday as well. Depending on the severity of this thing the airports may be down in the midweek period too. As long as she stays off the streets when it hits and doesn't do anything foolish like attempt to drive through flooded water, she'll be fine though.

Unless she's staying in a beachside hotel, of course.

Also, she probably knows already but power outages for a few days are all but certain, so she'll want to stock up on books, 'chips' and beer. If she wants to keep frozen food tell her to freeze water in bottles and pack the food in with them, as they'll last longer than with ice-cubes. Also, tell her to withdraw cash NOW from the ATM, as much as she think she'll need in the next few days. ATM's need power, as do swipe and pin machines. The DC Metro area will possibly get up to 50mph winds with 70mph gusts and up to 10 inches of rain.

Also tell her to take everything the Weather Channel says with a large pinch of salt. They are to weather forecasting what Fox is to the news. Basically they're saying that a large chunk of coast is going to get erased by two storm surges. Their reporter Jim Cantore (live from Battery Park!) reported and tweeted shock and horror at cruise ships and their passengers departing into CERTAIN DEATH. Despite the fact that harbours are far more dangerous than the open sea for shipping in hurricanes and that, in fact, they were ordered out and that they are being manned by skeleton crews.

So, time for an update on this one. I've been tracking it on-off all day between bouts of X-Com and photo-editing.

I'm afraid to say its looking a bit more severe than last time. The track wobbled a little but the strong probability hasn't deviated from the centre of the New Jersey shoreline. Unfortunately, its forward speed has slowed again, placing it for an arrival time with high tide. Plus so far the indicator buoys have transmitted surges a foot higher than initially predicted. So we're looking at a stronger surge all round. Fortunately though the storm is still faster than it once was, so it probably won't be hitting multiple high tides. Now, the way the NOHA weather guys have disseminated this storm surge data isn't quite as clear cut as with standard category gulf hurricanes. This is a reflection of the unknowables surrounding a three-storm nor'easter hybrid hurricane. But what they seem agreed on is the following:

10% chance of 11-15 foot surge at Battery Park and parts of Rhode Island.
50% chance of 5 foot surge or higher.

And then, inexplicably...

50% chance of 4 foot surge or lower.

Again, no one knows how this is really going to play out. There are only vague computer models for this as there was no information properly recorded for the 1960 and 1938 hurricanes, which were the last big ones to hit New York. Dr. Jeff Masters has increased the probability of the NY subway system flooding to 50%. Things look a little worse for the Northern reach of New Jersey shore too. Atlantic City in New Jersey is looking at the possibility of a 9 foot storm surge. Whilst out to see 36 foot average height wave warnings are being issued. The new IKE potential destructive rating is up from 5.4 to 5.8 out of 6, higher than Katrina.

Now, a word on that. This doesn't mean that we're going to see Katrina style devastation. It just means that more stuff is going to get badly affected over a wider area than Katrina, but it is not a calculation that indicates Katrina's level of thorough destruction. I know, I find it confusing too. Think of a diluted Katrina over a wider area - the same damage energy spread out to a lesser effect.

You may notice from the big image of the storm that the hurricane is beginning to tighten up, showing more of the visual characteristics of a traditional tropical hurricane. It has almost, but not quite, formed an eye wall now that the wind sheer has diminished. And it is this lessening of the wind sheer and the opening injection of the baroclinic energy that's causing her to intensify. She's almost, but not quite, got an eye wall now and looks far less ragged. However, she's thankfully run out of time to conduct a proper eyewall replacement cycle, and though she may draw more strength from the gulf stream she's about to pass over, I doubt very much we'll see an intensification to a category 2 level.

If she does of course it's "Aw, fuck."

But she won't.

Meanwhile lower New Jersey beaches have started to get their shellacking.

Blomberg has finally issued the evacuation order for zone 1 residents, numbering 375,000, whilst at the same time shutting down mass transit in preparation. This may sound demented, but the evacuation in many places simply calls for walking up-block. Aside from extreme coastal chunks people will be far safer in New York than attempting to drive out of the city in this weather. It's quite unlike the long distance evacuations required for the gulf coast.

Amazing webcam live footage of storm surge hitting Kill Devil Hills resort, on the outer banks.

http://www.visitob.com/webcams/sea-ranc ... vil-hills/

A bigger concern is for the New Jersey coast and Atlantic City. They are more exposed and Atlantic City is in an even more vulnerable bay. It's hard to get reliable information on that stretch though, and they are justly complaining about being forgotten by the media with all eyes on New York.

So, it's looking more serious than I thought. More serious than Irene, certainly. I don't think it's a mega-doom storm, or even close, but sadly there may be some casualties from this one and I'm afraid Curiosity, this will almost certainly be a big multi-billion dollar economic disaster.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:20 
Honey Boo Boo

Someone on another forum is complaining about being in the forced evacuation zone in NYC, "I live on the 16th floor, how will the storm surge affect me?".

Others are wondering if this will be as bad as 1993's storms.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:32 
Excellent Member

metalangel wrote:
Someone on another forum is complaining about being in the forced evacuation zone in NYC, "I live on the 16th floor, how will the storm surge affect me?".

Others are wondering if this will be as bad as 1993's storms.

Ironically being too high on a skyscraper to get away from surge is a bad idea due to the wind punching out the glass. Above sixty feet or so the winds from a hurricane are quite a bit higher than ground level.

The problem with being in the surge area in a high building is down to the following:

You'll be stranded in the building for a fair while.

The rats will be looking for a nice dry place.

They'll be okay though. If the water gets into NY itself it'll be no more than four feet deep I reckon. Rhode Island and such is more of a concern.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:19 
Sleepyhead

Can we make sure that the cast of Jersey Shore are all stood on the beach, please?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:25 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:
Can we make sure that the cast of Jersey Shore are all stood on the beach, please?

Amen to that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:29 
Gogmagog

MrsA's flight is still scheduled, so that is some relief.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:42 
Excellent Member

Really? Wow. When?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:43 
Gogmagog

Tuesday night.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:07 
Gogmagog

Interesting stuff here. I think MrsA is more relaxed over it than I am, she's decided that Herrshey bars are the confectionary of choice to watch the show, as everyone else in the shop was buying batteries and water. She's moving hotels so she can be in one with a bar, I mean, closer to the conference centre so she wn't have to walk the two minutes as SUVs crash down around her, and I'm hoping that this adventure will soon be over.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:57 
Honey Boo Boo

Silly Mali. You sent her over to "sort America out" and now America itself seems to have declared "Challenge Accepted".

The sooner she's back the better, yes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 13:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

Props to the thoroughly excellent posts Mr Pete, very good to read on the train this morning, much better than the bullshit in the news.
Keep it up, what what.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 13:01 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:

Better still, how about this one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... video.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 13:12 
Gogmagog

metalangel wrote:
Silly Mali. You sent her over to "sort America out" and now America itself seems to have declared "Challenge Accepted".

The sooner she's back the better, yes.

Hopefully. I can't eat any more microwave meals.

God has clearly decided that he's pissed off with the current administration of effete aresholes and has brought in the winds of change. If I were Romney, I'd totally be on this line of thought.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 14:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

metalangel wrote:

When I first saw about the evacuation, I figured it was the really costal places - Coney Island, the riverfront etc. From updates we're getting aimed at our US workers it would rather appear that it's instead all of Lower Manhattan. Crikey.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 14:24 
Gogmagog

Warnings of 20-25 foot waves on Lake Michigan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 14:48 
Excellent Member

I sure hope there's no sharks in that water ............ ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 14:50 
Gogmagog

I'd be proud of that workmanship.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 15:03 

Where is that pic from?!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 15:04 
Sitting balls-back folder

The kitchen, I reckon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 15:05 
Excellent Member

Ta for the thumbs up, Trooper. Was that a Luanne King of the Hill 'wot wot'? If so, awesome.

Back again with some quick updates. First, some news.

Idiots in the tall ship Bounty (you may have seen it in the Pirates of the Caribbean films) decided for some unknown reason to set sail and try to sneak past the hurricane. Anyway, it's now sunk. Fortunately it looks like the heroes of the coastguard choppers saved at least 15 of the 17 crew, maybe all of them. I seriously cannot understand what they were thinking when they decided to set forth on a sailing ship into a hurricane.

I love tall ships, so it's sad to have to lost one.

Meanwhile the American news networks are in hype overdrive. ABC just showed footage from The Day After Tomorrow as part of its report. You know the bit, with the wave going over the Statue of Liberty. Very little fact, and lots of wild speculation including a bizarre claim from a Weather Channel guy that the stock exchange could lose 'trillions' due to non-trading. Er, no. They have a back-up trading pit, mate.

Michigan's also probably going to cough up a Lake Effect snow storm, too.

The worrying thing is that this storm seems to be intensifying a little. There are now reports of category 2 winds working their way down to ground level. This is beyond the worst estimates. New York high-rises may see 90mph gusts. However, the report may be inaccurate as it hasn't yet been confirmed by multiple spotter sources. Current Battery Park surge forecast is 11 feet. The hurricane has sped up and is now approaching at twenty miles an hour towards the lower centre of the New Jersey shore. Atlantic City surge forecast has gone up also to around 8.5-9 feet. These forecasts are the 'highest estimate' remember, so there's still a strong chance they won't reach that high. But it isn't reassuring that Delaware Bay has already beaten its record of 8.8m with a so far recorded 8.9m surge - and the hurricane isn't even the closest its gonna get to it yet.

Places of concern remain Atlantic City with its dangerously ill-placed swathe of beachfront hotels and properties. Rhode Island and Newport are in an area of high surge risk, as is a chunk of Long Island. Although all eyes are on Manhatten this isn't where the worst damage will happen. If you want to get an idea as to the size of this thing, it is one third the size of Australia.

There are also early indications from the virtually non-existent differential in pressures that the eye may be collapsing. This should reduce wind speed somewhat, though the surge will still remain dangerous.

Update this early evening when things should be a lot clearer. Then very little information will appear from landfall onwards as the entire coast goes dark. It'll probably take a couple days to work out how badly hit everywhere was.

EDIT: WOAH on that pic, Four_Candles!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 15:07 
Excellent Member

Oh, and Ocean City live webcam of pier almost underwater, don't know how long it'll last though:

http://fagers.com/sandycams.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 15:08 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Worst Apocalypse evah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 15:09 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Where is that pic from?!

No idea I'm afraid, but wherever it is, it's a bit wet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 15:11 
Excellent Member

NervousPete wrote:
Oh, and Ocean City live webcam of pier almost underwater, don't know how long it'll last though:

http://fagers.com/sandycams.html

Sadly another pier there didn't make it:

https://twitter.com/JustinWeather/statu ... to/1/large

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 15:13 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Morte wrote:
Worst Apocalypse evah

What are you talking about man! The bandstand is under water! THE BANDSTAND!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 15:24 
Gogmagog

Um, yeah. Check the picture at out 14.07 (10.07)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 15:27 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Yeah, good luck with shooting the wind.

I've just seen pictures of The Bounty that sank. That's a damn shame that, it's a beautiful ship.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 15:30 
Excellent Member

That guy in that pic is my new hero, MaliA.

Also, Rhode Island. Flood waters already punching through at Charleston:

And landfall is still 16 HOURS away.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 15:32 
Gogmagog

http://twitter.com/CNNkimsegal/status/2 ... 28/photo/1

Ventnor, NJ.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 15:37 
Gogmagog

the bbc has a twitter list of, erm, twitterers tweeting terrible things throughout tempest.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 16:13 
Gogmagog

Hoo boy!

Quote:
This one from Seventh and Simpson shows one of the deeper spots. It's not quite underwater beach to bay, but close. All the bay side streets (Bay, Haven, Simpson, West, Asbury) are underwater. Will post a gallery of photos in a bit. Check back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 16:56 
Gogmagog

Flights cancelled. Shitty fuck fuck. Looks liek another three days of frozen pizza and cheap lager.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 17:11 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
Flights cancelled. Shitty fuck fuck. Looks liek another three days of frozen pizza and cheap lager.

Bad luck MaliA and Mrs MaliA. They made the right choice.

I've only time for a quick update but will add more in a couple of hours.

I'm officially upgrading this storm to 'Holy Shit Fucks'.

Forecast for New York is now 12-14 feet surge at high tide.

Storm pressure has fallen to 936mb. That's incredible.

Atlantic City surge currently at around 9 feet, to go up to 12 possibly.

Some met guys are worrying that the surge might drive up even further.

Winds may reach up to 135mph in places.

A lot of this is unsubstantiated, but already this is bigger than Irene.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 17:27 
Excellent Member

Baltimore forecast update:

Quote:
.SANDY LOCAL STATEMENT...

...SANDY TO BRING NEAR HURRICANE FORCE WINDS AND FLOOD-PRODUCING
HEAVY RAINFALL TO MUCH OF THE REGION THROUGH TUESDAY...

THIS STATEMENT IS FOR THE GREATER BALTIMORE/WASHINGTON
METROPOLITAN AREAS, INCLUDING THE MARYLAND PORTION OF THE
CHESAPEAKE BAY, TIDAL POTOMAC RIVER, MARYLAND FROM THE WESTERN
SHORE OF THE CHESAPEAKE BAY TO GARRETT COUNTY, NORTHERN VIRGINIA,
AND EXTREME EASTERN WEST VIRGINIA. THE OBJECTIVE OF THIS STATEMENT IS
TO PROVIDE A SINGLE PRODUCT THAT INTEGRATES THE WARNING PRODUCTS
ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE/WASHINGTON
WEATHER FORECAST OFFICE.

SANDY LOCAL STATEMENTS WILL BE RELEASED EVERY 6 HOURS THROUGH
WEDNESDAY MORNING AT THE FOLLOWING RELEASE TIMES: 11 PM...5 AM...
11 AM...AND 5 PM.

AT 11 AM EDT...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE SANDY WAS LOCATED NEAR
LATITUDE 37.5N...LONGITUDE 71.5W. THIS WAS ABOUT 315 MILES EAST
OF WASHINGTON DC. SANDY WAS MOVING NORTHWEST AT 18 MPH...WITH
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS OF 90 MPH. SANDY IS FORECAST TO MAKE
LANDFALL ALONG THE SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY COAST EARLY TONIGHT...WITH
A LITTLE STRENGTHENING POSSIBLE BEFORE LANDFALL. SANDY WILL
SEVERELY IMPACT THE REGION WELL BEFORE IT COMES ASHORE.

SUMMARY OF THREATS
------------------
* THE MAIN IMMEDIATE THREATS FOR SANDY WILL BE STRONG WINDS
RESULTING IN WIDESPREAD DOWNED TREES AND POWER/COMMUNICATIONS
OUTAGES...AND HEAVY RAINS WHICH WILL RESULT IN EXTENSIVE
FLOODING OF LOCAL STREAMS AND CREEKS.
* BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE FORECAST IN THE POTOMAC HIGHLANDS AT
ELEVATIONS ABOVE 2000 FEET WHERE 18 TO 24 INCHES ARE FORECAST.
* MAJOR RIVER FLOODING IS LIKELY TO OCCUR...STARTING THIS
AFTERNOON ON SMALLER WATERSHEDS WHICH WILL LEAD TO FLOODING ON
THE MAIN-STEM RIVERS SUCH AS THE POTOMAC AND THE SHENANDOAH.

CHANGES SINCE LAST LOCAL STATEMENT
----------------------------------
* THE TIMING OF THE PEAK WINDS FROM SANDY ARE NOW EXPECTED FROM
LATE THIS AFTERNOON TO DAYBREAK ON WEDNESDAY.
* RAINFALL AMOUNTS HAVE BEEN INCREASED. THE GREATER BALTIMORE
METRO AREA IS NOW FORECAST TO RECEIVE 8 TO 12 INCHES OF
RAIN...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS.
* THE POTOMAC RIVER IS LIKELY TO GO INTO FLOOD STAGE BEGINNING
AROUND WEDNESDAY AND LASTING THROUGH FRIDAY.

HIGH WINDS
----------
* WINDS WILL INCREASE STEADILY TODAY...WITH THE MAXIMUM WIND GUSTS
OCCURRING LATE THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.
* GENERALLY...SUSTAINED WINDS OF 30 TO 50 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 60 MPH
CAN BE EXPECTED ACROSS THE ENTIRE REGION.
* HURRICANE FORCE WIND GUSTS OF 70 AND POSSIBLY 80 MPH ARE
EXPECTED TO IMPACT A REGION LOCATED BETWEEN BEL AIR MD...POINT
LOOKOUT MD...AND HAGERSTOWN MD BETWEEN 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM
TUESDAY. THIS INCLUDES THE GREATER BALTIMORE AND WASHINGTON
METROPOLITAN AREAS.
* COUPLED WITH HEAVY RAINS FROM SANDY...THE HIGH WINDS WILL RESULT
IN SIGNIFICANT TREE DAMAGE AND POWER LINE DAMAGE.

RAINFALL AND FLOODING
---------------------
* 8 TO 12 INCHES OF RAIN IN NORTHEAST AND NORTH CENTRAL MD
INCLUDING THE BALTIMORE METRO AREA AND ALONG THE WEST SHORE OF
THE BAY.
* 5 TO 10 INCHES OF RAIN IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE FREDERICK...
WASHINGTON AND FREDERICKSBURG METRO AREAS.
* 3 TO 6 INCHES OF RAIN IS EXPECTED FOR EASTERN WEST VIRGINIA AND
VIRGINIA...WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE DC METRO COUNTIES...AS WELL
AS WESTERN MARYLAND WEST OF HANCOCK MD.
* THIS AMOUNT OF RAIN WILL LIKELY RESULT IN EXTENSIVE AND DANGEROUS
FLOODING OF LOCAL STREAMS AND CREEKS STARTING THIS AFTERNOON AND
LASTING INTO WEDNESDAY.

MAIN-STEM RIVER FLOODING
------------------------
* THE POTOMAC RIVER WILL LIKELY START FLOODING TUESDAY NIGHT AND
CONTINUE THROUGH THE END OF THE WEEK.
* THE MONOCACY RIVER IS FORECAST TO FLOOD LATER TODAY AND CONTINUE
TO BE IN MAJOR FLOOD THROUGH EARLY THURSDAY. LEVELS FORECAST
HAVE NOT BEEN SEEN SINCE AGNES IN 1972.

COASTAL FLOODING
----------------
* WITH THE FULL MOON ON MONDAY...ASTRONOMICAL TIDES ARE ALREADY
HIGHER THAN NORMAL. COUNTER TO THE HIGHER THAN NORMAL
ASTRONOMICAL TIDES...STRONG NORTH AND NORTHWESTERLY WINDS
TODAY WILL CAUSE A BLOW-OUT TIDE ALONG THE WESTERN SHORE OF THE
CHESAPEAKE AND THE TIDAL POTOMAC RIVER TODAY. EAST FACING BEACHES
ALONG THE TIDAL POTOMAC WILL EXPERIENCE WIND-DRIVEN WAVES THAT
WILL GIVE THE APPEARANCE OF TIDAL FLOODING AND RESULT IN SIMILAR
IMPACTS.
* AS WINDS BECOME SOUTHWESTERLY TUESDAY...WATER WILL RETURN BACK
INTO THE BAY AND TIDAL POTOMAC AND BEGIN TO PILE UP IN THE BAY
NORTH OF POOLES ISLAND AND IN THE UPPER REACHES OF THE TIDAL
POTOMAC AND ALONG SOUTH FACING SHORES.
* THE HIGHEST TIDES FOR MOST WILL BE WITH THE HIGH TIDES TUESDAY.

SNOWFALL
--------
* IN THE POTOMAC HIGHLANDS ABOVE 2000 FEET HEAVY WET SNOW IS
EXPECTED. * THE COMBINATION OF STRONG WIND AND HEAVY WET SNOW WILL
DOWN TREE LIMBS AND POWER LINES. BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE
FORECAST WITH VISIBILITY NEAR ZERO IN PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW. * THE
HIGHEST ELEVATIONS OVER 3000 FEET ARE EXPECTED TO SEE 18 TO 24
INCHES BETWEEN LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND WEDNESDAY MORNING. SOME
ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED THROUGH FRIDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS
----------------------------------
* BE PREPARED FOR EXTENDED POWER AND COMMUNICATIONS OUTAGES.
* IF YOU LIVE NEAR LARGE TREES...REMAIN IN THE LOWER LEVEL OF YOUR
HOME OR SEEK SHELTER ELSEWHERE IF POSSIBLE AND RIDE SANDY OUT.
* REFRAIN FROM ANY UNNECESSARY TRAVEL.
* ENSURE LOOSE ITEMS ON YOUR PROPERTY ARE SECURED.
* IF POWER LINES ARE DOWN...STAY AWAY FROM THEM AND REPORT IT TO YOUR
LOCAL ELECTRICAL UTILITY COMPANY.
* IF YOU SHOULD HAVE EMERGENCY TRAVEL...IF YOU COME UPON FLOODED
ROADWAYS DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS SUBMERGED ROADWAYS. TURN AROUND
AND DON`T DROWN.
* IF YOU USE A PORTABLE POWER GENERATOR...PLEASE FOLLOW
MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS AND ENSURE THAT IT IS PROPERLY
VENTILATED.
* DO NOT USE CHARCOAL GRILLS IN ENCLOSED AREAS.
* MARINERS SHOULD ENSURE THAT THERE IS ENOUGH SLACK LINE IN THEIR
BOAT`S MOORINGS TO ACCEPT A BLOW OUT TIDE TODAY AND HIGH TIDES
TUESDAY.
* PERIODICALLY CHECK ON YOUR ELDERLY NEIGHBORS AND FAMILY MEMBERS
TO ENSURE THEY ARE SAFE.

FOR ADDITIONAL PRECAUTIONARY AND PREPAREDNESS INFORMATION...
PLEASE REFER TO THE DETAILED RECOMMENDATIONS RELATIVE TO YOUR
LOCATION AS FURTHER DESCRIBED BY YOUR LOCAL NATIONAL WEATHER
SERVICE OFFICE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENTS EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OFFICE.

&&

.NEXT UPDATE...
THE NEXT LOCAL STATEMENT WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER
SERVICE BALTIMORE/WASHINGTON WEATHER FORECAST OFFICE AT 5 PM EDT
TODAY OR SOONER IF CONDITIONS WARRANT.

$$

LEE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 17:32 
Excellent Member

Ocean City living up to its name:

http://twitpic.com/b8jccr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 17:48 
Gogmagog

Huh. She's going to be in a great mood. Stuck in a hotel with conference delegates whose primary interest is libraries in a Cat one hurricane and strep throat making speech nigh on impossible. Holy fuck, i'm pleased i won't be the one from the airline taking that call. Seriously though, my concern is growing. So much so i've opened an account on match.com. I wish i"d gone with her now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 18:03 
Excellent Member

Good live cam from a stormchaser in his car heading to where he thinks Sandy will make landfall:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chasercam-live

He's a bit excitable at times, but it's interesting nonetheless. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 18:20 

Four_Candles wrote:
Good live cam from a stormchaser in his car heading to where he thinks Sandy will make landfall:

Mad bastard :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 18:37 
Hello Hello Hello

All of a sudden the American habit of building their houses out of matchsticks doesn't look so clever.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 18:39 
Excellent Member

Wullie wrote:
Four_Candles wrote:

Offline right now - he got stopped by the cops just as he was nearing his destination.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 18:42 
Gogmagog

Flight rebooked. For friday. :-(

Longest time we've ever spent apart, this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 18:44 
Gogmagog

Oh. My. The only clothes she has are.....the Mitt Romney t shirts. i really, really, should not laugh.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 18:47 

Four_Candles wrote:
Wullie wrote:
Four_Candles wrote:

Offline right now - he got stopped by the cops just as he was nearing his destination.
Aye, I saw that. Again & again & again & again & again & again & again as I refreshed it to see if the stream would fix itself :(

Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next