Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Celebrity Deathlist 2012
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:16 
Bad Girl

I like Shawshank and Green Mile. They might not rate so highly on my all time greatest films (Robocop, Predator, Aliens and Terminator occupy four of those top spots) but they're still good solid movies (and maybe Leathal Weapon)(if it's an eighties film, it's probably up there)(yes, even Weekend at Bernies).

Half Life 2.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:18 
Gogmagog

WTB wrote:
So Shawshank has 9.3/10 on IMDB, 90% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and 80 on Metacritic. Is everyone wrong? It's a bloody good, entertaining film.

It's a 4/10 at best. When I'm in a good mood. And feeling generous. Mainly, as I like to think it's Riles in prison. That's worth 75% of those marks. Anyone who gave it over a 4/10 is an idiot. Those rating are clearly broken, anyway, as the greatest film ever made, Point Break, only got a 7.0 on IMDB.

WTB wrote:
MaliA is displaying hipster qualities here.

Pah! No, I've always not liked it. As BeeX's Cultural Arbiter, my word is final as everyone agreed it would be.

WTB wrote:
I can't really speak for The Green Mile, because although I've seen it plenty of times, it's no Shawshank. It's still pretty good, though.

2/10 at most as I dunno, it kept employed some people doing stuff for some time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:21 
Master of dodgy spelling....

MaliA wrote:
WTB wrote:
So Shawshank has 9.3/10 on IMDB, 90% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and 80 on Metacritic. Is everyone wrong? It's a bloody good, entertaining film.

It's a 4/10 at best. When I'm in a good mood. And feeling generous. Mainly, as I like to think it's Riles in prison. That's worth 75% of those marks. Anyone who gave it over a 4/10 is an idiot.

WTB wrote:
MaliA is displaying hipster qualities here.

Pah! No, I've always not liked it. As BeeX's Cultural Arbiter, my word is final as everyone agreed it would be.

WTB wrote:
I can't really speak for The Green Mile, because although I've seen it plenty of times, it's no Shawshank. It's still pretty good, though.

2/10 at most as I dunno, it kept employed some people doing stuff for some time.

Makes me an idiot then :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:23 
Gogmagog

You're my favorite, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:24 
UltraMod

There's a needlessness to your dickery sometimes, Mali.

Shame.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:26 
Gogmagog

The Last Salmon Man wrote:
There's a needlessness to your dickery sometimes, Mali.

Shame.

Cock off, fagballs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:29 
Unpossible!

Bored Mali is mean :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:54 
Sleepyhead

It is at times like this we remember that 'Mali' is short for 'Malicious'.

And ET is short as he only has little legs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:55 

Curiosity wrote:
It is at times like this we remember that 'Mali' is short for 'Malicious'.

And ET is short as he only has little legs.

* groan*

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 13:20 

Fuck me, Mali. Sure, people's tastes differ and all that, but to claim that The Green Mile was "shit" (and Shawshank no better), as against the backdrop of this guy's untimely death as well, strikes me as most odd, to say the least. :(

Personally, I think both of these deeply poignant films are truly stellar in their quality and absolute must-haves.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 13:24 
Gogmagog

Captain Caveman wrote:
Fuck me, Mali. Sure, people's tastes differ and all that, but to claim that The Green Mile was "shit" (and Shawshank no better), as against the backdrop of this guy's untimely death as well, strikes me as most odd, to say the least. :(

Personally, I think both of these deeply poignant films are truly stellar in their quality and absolute must-haves.

I'm expressing surprise at such depth of feeling for someone that wasn't that great an actor in films that weren't great.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 13:29 
Isn't that lovely?

He was alright singing "leaving on a jet plane" in armageddon!

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 13:30 

I think it is because he was in films watched by millions. FFS he helped save the world from a huge asteroid!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 13:33 

MaliA wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

I'm expressing surprise at such depth of feeling for someone that wasn't that great an actor in films that weren't great.

They're not great in your opinion, albeit your original appraisal, such as it was, was a good deal harsher.

For me, I simply cannot understand how anyone couldn't be affected at least on some level by either of these two films, let alone both. Either you must have a heart of stone or you're trolling, and in either case definitely disrespectful.

There again, the late Neil Armstong being described earlier as "a fucking illiterate redneck" is equally bewildering to me, for, y'know, very marginally "fluffing his lines" after flying to the moon and all that (very nearly crashing into the moon in fact, but for <30 seconds of fuel remaining and multiple critical computer error codes from something that makes your average Nokia phone look like a mainframe. Not to mention his earlier heroic Gemini 8 mission- and life-saving interventions and distinguished military flying career well before even that).

Still, I know one thing alright: this thread fucking sucks balls. I never normally read it; nasty, cruel, ghoulish bollocks in my opinion.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 13:34 
Hibernating Druid

The Green Mile is a good film.

Not in the same league as 'Freddie Got Fingered', but still worth a watch.

For some reason I keep thinking he's the same guy who got bummed by the Gimp & Co in Pulp Fiction. Could Mali be thinking the same and all this is a jealousy thing? Of course he is.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 13:35 

Malc wrote:

Malc

Shit, and there was me thinking we were talking about The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption... :roll:

I suppose by that logic, De Nero and Pacino are shite actors because both have appeared in bad films, right Malcy? :belm:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 13:47 
Gogmagog

Captain Caveman wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

They're not great in your opinion, albeit your original appraisal, such as it is, was a good deal harsher.

For me, I simply cannot understand how anyone couldn't be affected at least on some level by either of these two films, let alone both. Either you must have a heart of stone or you're trolling, and in either case definitely disrespectful.

Much like a modern day Anubis, weighing the heart of the deceased, it isn’t uncommon for particpants on Web 2.0 to discuss the corpus of an individual post mortem. Especially one that has been in films that many have seen, creating a common bond between participants. Opinions of the career do differ, and I’m surprised he’s thought of as a good actor. I’m not at all convinced he was, looking over his works. If this offends you, might you suggest a suitable timescale for the duration of your grief, and then we can continue.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 13:49 

Zardoz wrote:
The Green Mile is a good film.

Not in the same league as 'Freddie Got Fingered', but still worth a watch.

For some reason I keep thinking he's the same guy who got bummed by the Gimp & Co in Pulp Fiction. Could Mali be thinking the same and all this is a jealousy thing? Of course he is.

That was Ving Rhames you fucking racist.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 13:51 
Hibernating Druid

I'm not racist at all. I loathe everyone equally.

Especially you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 14:05 

MaliA wrote:
Much like a modern day Anubis, weighing the heart of the deceased, it isn’t uncommon for particpants on Web 2.0 to discuss the corpus of an individual post mortem. Especially one that has been in films that many have seen, creating a common bond between participants. Opinions of the career do differ, and I’m surprised he’s thought of as a good actor. I’m not at all convinced he was, looking over his works.

Leaving aside the fact that you're being deeply pretentious and facetious (and look a twat in so doing), what you've said actually bears no relation to what I originally pulled you up on anyway. I never said or claimed that the guy was "a good actor", and nor was I (unduly) mourning his passing - I was actually expressing incredulity at your blanket, very specific dismissal of The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption films as "shit", stated as fact.

Perhaps then, instead of labouring unduly over some smartarse reposte (which ironically falls flat on its arse), your time might have been better deployed actually reading and understanding the post(s) to which you were responding?

Quote:
If this offends you, might you suggest a suitable timescale for the duration of your grief, and then we can continue.

:roll:

Don't you patronise me. No, I am not having a 'Princess Diana' moment, as is surely clear to anyone. I don't know who or what has pulled your chain today, and care even less. Welcome to my Ignore list; first time I have ever used it, on any forum, ever.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 14:14 
Isn't that lovely?

Captain Caveman wrote:
Malc wrote:

Malc

Shit, and there was me thinking we were talking about The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption... :roll:

I suppose by that logic, De Nero and Pacino are shite actors because both have appeared in bad films, right Malcy? :belm:

Um, I like Armageddon, and Shawshank, I've not seen the Green Mile, but I loved the books and I imagine I'll enjoy the film (if that's the right word)

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 14:44 
Gogmagog

Quote:
I never said or claimed that the guy was "a good actor", and nor was I (unduly) mourning his passing - I was actually expressing incredulity at your blanket, very specific dismissal of The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption films as "sweet", stated as fact.

Didn't say you were.

I was correlating the emotion attached to his passing with his status as an actor, which seems to be built largely upon his performance in The Green Mile. Points still stand, though. If he's upset over my critique of his career, he can write to me.

Quote:
you're being deeply pretentious and facetious (and look a twit in so doing),

Sometimes I get bored of your mum and write in a style I'm unaccustomed to. it's not much of a hobby, but it passes the time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 14:47 
Gogmagog

Worst missing out of quotation marks, ever.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 15:02 

MaliA wrote:
Quote:
I never said or claimed that the guy was "a good actor", and nor was I (unduly) mourning his passing - I was actually expressing incredulity at your blanket, very specific dismissal of The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption films as "sweet", stated as fact.

Didn't say you were.

Except you did.
(Nice editing of my quoted post as well).

Quote:
I was correlating the emotion attached to his passing with his status as an actor, which seems to be built largely upon his performance in The Green Mile.

Except you weren't. You were specifically responding to my earlier post, which is why you quoted it. This was very specifically and exclusively about your earlier blanket remarks about The Green Mile and Shawshank being "shit", stated as absolute fact. Nothing to do with what you seem to be rambling on about now.

Quote:
Points still stand, though.

:titler:

Quote:
Sometimes I get bored of your mum and write in a style I'm unaccustomed to of a troll. it's not much of a hobby, but it passes the time.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 15:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So stop feeding him, then. And you appear to have belmed Malc for no reason.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 15:23 
Gogmagog

I'm trying to work out what the problem is:

1) Commenting upon his work
2) Commenting upon his acting
3) Commenting about them in the dead thread
4) Other

I was commenting as a whole, to a wider audience, not just you, as point for further discussion as to the recent trend for people commenting in many media when someone dies. (1st sentence of my reply)

The fact that GM and SR aren't ever going to sit upon plinths in the pantheon of late 20th art does fit into that. The GM is part of his works so comment isn't unexpected. (Second and third sentences)

The only incidence of "you" and "your" were in the final sentence, where I offered up a method to avoid seeming to be unfeeling toward someone's demise.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 15:28 

Grim... wrote:
So stop feeding him, then. And you appear to have belmed Malc for no reason.

With all respect, I'll decide if - and when - to stop responding to posts addressed to me. If someone is trolling, which you appear to agree, then get on their case, not mine please.

In terms of Malc's post, I wasn't 100% sure what to make of his post to be honest, especially in the context of what we were talking about (and I'm still not). So if I misunderstood him, which I obviously have done, I apologise to him. (Mind you, being 'belmed' is hardly a serious admonishment!)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 15:32 

MaliA wrote:
I'm trying to work out what the problem is:

1) Commenting upon his work
2) Commenting upon his acting
3) Commenting about them in the dead thread
4) Other

I was commenting as a whole, to a wider audience, not just you, as point for further discussion as to the recent trend for people commenting in many media when someone dies. (1st sentence of my reply)

The fact that GM and SR aren't ever going to sit upon plinths in the pantheon of late 20th art does fit into that. The GM is part of his works so comment isn't unexpected. (Second and third sentences)

The only incidence of "you" and "your" were in the final sentence, where I offered up a method to avoid seeming to be unfeeling toward someone's demise.

Yup, I've decided I think.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 15:34 
Isn't that lovely?

What I was trying to do, was be a little light hearted, and point out that he sang "jet plane" in armageddon, and that I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it so much that when ever that song comes on, I sing it in his deep voice.

Kovacs appeared to do a similar thing to me in the next post (except he used the whole film instead of just that one scene)

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 15:34 
Unpossible!

I like Shawshank. Apart from the final shot. They should have left it with Red on the Bus.

Also, it amuses me to watch it with the idea that Andy is a cold eyed killer. Makes it a much more entertaining film. Can the murderer escape his righteous imprisonment? Can he convince the romantic Red that he's a nice guy and get him to Mexico for One. Last. Kill. ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 15:38 
Gogmagog

<crawls through shit pipe>
<emerges in river>
<throws hands up in despair>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 15:39 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
<crawls through shit pipe>
<emerges in river>
<throws hands up in despair>

You would never have gone in that pipe. You'd have gone out in laundry truck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 16:00 

MaliA wrote:
If he's upset over my critique of his career, he can write to me.
Tea. Desk.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 20:05 
Bad Girl

Did he not play the character of the gentle giant to a tea in The Green Mile? I never watched that performance and thought he was overacting or portrayed the Stephen King character as anything other that what I'd read. He owned that character so fully that I doubt I could read the book again and not imagine him as that character (and not in that bad way, either).

You might not like the film but I doubt anyone in their right mind could say he was the wrong actor for the part or did the character a disservice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:27 
Skillmeister

Oof. Terry Nutkins has crossed the Great Divide . :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:30 
Best
Board Mother

Aww. :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:42 
Skillmeister

Leukaemia. Cruel disease.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:43 
Hibernating Druid

Aw man, he wasn't that old either was he?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:43 
Skillmeister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:45 
INFINITE POWAH

Captain Caveman wrote:
There again, the late Neil Armstong being described earlier as "a fucking illiterate redneck" is equally bewildering to me, for, y'know, very marginally "fluffing his lines" after flying to the moon and all that (very nearly crashing into the moon in fact, but for <30 seconds of fuel remaining and multiple critical computer error codes from something that makes your average Nokia phone look like a mainframe. Not to mention his earlier heroic Gemini 8 mission- and life-saving interventions and distinguished military flying career well before even that).

That wasn't serious, you complete noodle. The redneck thing, I mean. He totally did fluff his line though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:50 
INFINITE POWAH

Also, DocG likes The Whole Nine Yards? Cripes. I thought I was the only one. Awesome.

Also also, the Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption are good films, FAOD, and Mali is clearly dead inside.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:52 
Gogmagog

I stand alone against mass market sentimentalism.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:54 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:

I bet you didn't cry at Dead Poets Society either. Soulless monster.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:55 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I can't recall if I've seen that or not. is that the "Oh Captain, my captain" film with robin Willaims and Matt Damon and Mini Driver makes a joke about blow jobs?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:56 

Dimrill wrote:
Leukaemia. Cruel disease.

Yes, I fucking hate Leukaemia. Claimed my cousin who was just excellent and my equally excellent uncle is battling with it now. >:|

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:57 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I can't recall if I've seen that or not. is that the "Oh Captain, my captain" film with robin Willaims and Matt Damon and Mini Driver makes a joke about blow jobs?

That's Good Will Hunting. Close, though.

What about Homeward Bound? Eh EH? First Born was literally in tears over that the other day. Which is weird, as he's only 5, so his abilitiy to empathise with characters in a narrative is quite advanced, it seems. UNLIKE YOU, YOU HEARTLESS FIEND.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 14:03 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
MaliA wrote:

That's Good Will Hunting. Close, though.

What about Homeward Bound? Eh EH? First Born was literally in tears over that the other day. Which is weird, as he's only 5, so his abilitiy to empathise with characters in a narrative is quite advanced, it seems. UNLIKE YOU, YOU HEARTLESS FIEND.

Watership Down is the saddest film.

It's unlikely I'm going to invest emotionally in a film about lost dogs. Tell him to man teh fuck up and take him shooting or something. or motocross riding, as I want to go and my friend's wife won't let him. LOLZ.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 14:07 

Dimrill wrote:

oh dear, I used to love watching him as a kid.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 14:07 
Gogmagog

KovacsC wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

You must be older than you look. he wasn't on TV until... (BANG - Ed)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 14:09 
Skillmeister

KovacsC wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Yep, huge part of my childhood too. A real pity that he couldn't find the same success outside of the Really Wild Show as Chris Packham did.

Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next