Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: I got a Red Ring
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:27 
SavyGamer

I just got a red ring on my 360. I've had it less than a year.

I know Microsoft send back repairs/refurbs, not new consoles, but I want a new one.

Can I just take it back to where I got it from (Argos) and get a replacement? Where does the law stand on this?

Post subject: Re: I got a Red Ring
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:35 
Skillmeister

You could try Argos, but I suspect you'd get Bobby's Woolies response of "fuck right off, young lad" and would have to ring MS. Registering your details on http://support.xbox.com can help speed up the process once you get through to a telephone gonk.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:47 
Time Out for Fun

My mate got a replacement at woolworths, although his mam works there so expect different treatment. Otherwise Microsoft are rather excellent with the whole process, and it seems like the average time is between 1-2weeks, my own experience was exactly 7 days wait which includes all the delivery stuff as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:51 

The retailer is obliged to deal with it. In practice this means they're entirely within their rights to send it off to MS on your behalf. I've always wondered why a min wage employee would want to argue this when he's got a pile out the back anyway so I always just swapped in warranty consoles, marked the receipt so no-one could take the piss and sent theirs back as a new faulty.

So it's a YMMV thing. The point is they have to deal with it somehow though, they CAN'T tell you to deal with the manufacturer, you have no contract with the manufacturer.

Second point "A red ring"? How many segments?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:57 

It's Christmas. Argos will swap your 360 for a bucket of pilchards and a drinking straw, because they change their policies at Christmas.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:01 
Time Out for Fun

After reading this thread, the mimi aggro argos thread and the chav thread I'v got images of the H G Wells time machine with a future filled with argos' that are operated behind the scenes by Murloks, although this possibly could be happening now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:00 
SavyGamer

Hmm, the problem I now have is that my 360, the argos I bought it from, and myself are very shortly going to be far apart from each other. This may be a blessing in disguise, since it might be easier to do my dissertation without my funbox to distract me :S

Dudley wrote:
Second point "A red ring"? How many segments?

This is it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:21 
Honey Boo Boo

That is teh fuxx0red. Try your lucky with Aggros or just send it back to MS.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:15 

Yeah, was a little worried when you said ring, because a full ring just means your video cable isn't plugged in, is broken.

But no, that's kerjiggered.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:48 

Argos might well insist on getting the entire original console back though, hard disk and all. Which means all your saves would vanish, unless you use memory cards or another hard disk or something. I'd return it to Microsoft myself. Yes, you'll get a refurbished one back -- but they actually go through more QA and testing than a normal off-the-assembly line one. Think of it as being hand-finished like a Bentley or Aston Martin.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
Think of it as being hand-finished like a Bentley or Aston Martin.

Or £20 well spent in a back-street massage parlour.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:52 

Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
Argos might well insist on getting the entire original console back though, hard disk and all. Which means all your saves would vanish, unless you use memory cards or another hard disk or something. I'd return it to Microsoft myself. Yes, you'll get a refurbished one back -- but they actually go through more QA and testing than a normal off-the-assembly line one. Think of it as being hand-finished like a Bentley or Aston Martin.

Yes, they could insist on that, again only an idiot would do so but they're in plentiful supply in customer service.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:56 

Dudley wrote:
Yes, they could insist on that, again only an idiot would do so but they're in plentiful supply in customer service.
Indeed. Actually, not necessarily an idiot, but perhaps just someone who's cautious and doesn't know about consoles. I bet store policy is a complete swap-out, otherwise you'd get people running scams and nicking accessories and suchlike. Or, idiot customers would come in and insist on keeping the hard disk, and it would turn out to be the hard disk broken (they don't necessarily know anything about RRoDs after all), and then they would have to deal with the idiot customer again the next day.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:16 

As for being far away from teh Argos you bought it from very soon, you are permitted to take faulty goods back to any Argos branch, just in case that is of any help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:44 
baron of techno

Runcle Scrooge wrote:
After reading this thread, the mimi aggro argos thread and the chav thread I'v got images of the H G Wells time machine with a future filled with argos' that are operated behind the scenes by Murloks, although this possibly could be happening now.

You may be on to something there. They dwell beneath the street.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:56 
Esoteric

The Rrod is used because a law was introduced forcing m$ not to use leaded solder.

On the 360's board it has a cpu and over time the solder dies and connections are lost. Some dude did sit there with a solder iron and redone them all, and hey presto the Rrod went away but it's uber hard and fiddly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 13:08 
baron of techno

JohnCoffey wrote:
The Rrod is used because a law was introduced forcing m$ not to use leaded solder.

Umm, it's more due to poor thermal design and/or incorrect manufacturing technique.

Quote:
On the 360's board it has a cpu and over time the solder dies and connections are lost. Some dude did sit there with a solder iron and redone them all

How does the dude reflow BGA packages with a soldering iron exactly?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 13:21 
Esoteric

I'll ask my mate where he read the article later. We were talking about it last night :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 13:27 
Esoteric

Wouldnt do this myself but it could work.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-the ... -of-Death/

Quote:
Second, the solder used in mounting the GPU and CPU chips to the motherboard is subpar. Lead-free solder has seen considerable use in recent decades. However, the lead-free solder used in construction of the Xbox is not capable of sustaining the high temperatures associated with console use.

http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=1424

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 13:29 
Sleepyhead

In reference to the threat title, I'm surprised Dimrill hasn't suggested the use of ointment yet...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 13:30 
Esoteric

If it's ringworm bleach works well. Stings a bit mind.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 13:45 
baron of techno

JohnCoffey wrote:
Wouldnt do this myself but it could work.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-the ... -of-Death/

That's not fixing anything, it's the equivalent of thumping a TV set on the side when it's acting up.
To repair the problem you need to reflow the GPU (and possibly another chip) or more likely remove and reball it - and "some dude" certainly can't do that with a soldering iron, never mind a towel.

Quote:
Second, the solder used in mounting the GPU and CPU chips to the motherboard is subpar. Lead-free solder has seen considerable use in recent decades.
However, the lead-free solder used in construction of the Xbox is not capable of sustaining the high temperatures associated with console use.

Lead-free solder typically requires higher temperatures to soften and melt than tin-lead. This is at best a poor excuse, as is blaming a regulatory requirement for a manufacturing failing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 14:42 

Kalmar/JohnCoffey: My understanding is that the RRoD problems are mostly caused by the thermal delta of the GPU being so high -- from room temperature up to 80-ish degC in a few minutes -- that the more brittle lead-free solder eventually cracks from repeated expansion/contraction. This is why it typically takes 6-18 months to see RRoD on a given unit.

It's still very much Microsoft's fault for either not testing it to find this fault, or not stopping the GPU getting up to such high temperatures anyway. There is evidence that this was down to a conscious corner-cutting decision on Microsoft's part, rather than general incompetence.

Also, I know someone who repairs mobile phones, which requires some pretty mean solder skills to reflow the teeny tiny PCBs (and a very expensive solder station), so I have some insight into the techniques and troubles. I think the so-called towel trick is a dubious and temporary fix at best, and whenever the subject comes up, I've never seen anyone with any EE qualifications think it's a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 14:45 
making out to faces of death

When I took GH:WT back to Argos the day after I bought it (the guitar would "strum" without being touched) the girl doing returns did check that everything was in the box, so they could give me a new boxed copy. I'm not sure they'd split an xbox package to give you just an xbox and psu.

On the other hand, Microsoft have held my cousin's xbox hostage in Germany for so long I lent him my spare.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 14:47 
Time Out for Fun

kalmarzipan wrote:
Runcle Scrooge wrote:

You may be on to something there. They dwell beneath the street.

In the Sunderland trading estate branch some of them work the counter.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 15:10 
baron of techno

Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
Kalmar/JohnCoffey: My understanding is that the RRoD problems are mostly caused by the thermal delta of the GPU being so high -- from room temperature up to 80-ish degC in a few minutes -- that the more brittle lead-free solder eventually cracks from repeated expansion/contraction. This is why it typically takes 6-18 months to see RRoD on a given unit.

It's still very much Microsoft's fault for either not testing it to find this fault, or not stopping the GPU getting up to such high temperatures anyway.

Agreed. It is a difficult issue with such high dissipation small footprint chips in a cost-conscious design, but it's not like it's impossible to avoid. And lead-free does tend to make manufacturability problems worse but I'll say it again, it's a poor excuse.

Quote:
I think the so-called towel trick is a dubious and temporary fix at best, and whenever the subject comes up, I've never seen anyone with any EE qualifications think it's a good idea.

Just to add to that list, as stated above, I don't either :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 15:33 
Esoteric

Well the high heat of the 360 (you can literally feel it pulsating out of the rear) coupled with solder seems to be the issue then.

So really it's a simple fix (but not cheap.. depends how much you love the 360 I suppose) and that's to stick it in one of these and introduce some proper cooling.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lian-Li-PC-XB01 ... 152&sr=8-2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 15:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

JohnCoffey wrote:
Well the high heat of the 360 (you can literally feel it pulsating out of the rear) coupled with solder seems to be the issue then.

Like the doc says, it's more the rapid expanding and contracting due to the speed at which it gets up to that temperature. After all, my media center PC runs hotter than a 360, but it gets there gradually.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 16:01 
baron of techno

JohnCoffey wrote:

No!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 16:40 
Esoteric

OK then so 360's are just shit and are built like shit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 16:43 
Skillmeister

JohnCoffey wrote:
360's are just shit

Error.
JohnCoffey wrote:
are built like shit.

Correct.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 16:47 
Esoteric

How can it be an error? Some of my friends have been though about ten of them !

Sure, it's the best gaming console out there, but surely the fact that they have a higher return rate than any console in history (well OK, I suppose you could compare them to the MK1 PS1 with the melty plastic lazer housing)

Infact I don't know a single person that has not had to return one at one point in time or another. And, that's the reason why I haven't got one because I would want to flash the drive and that invalidates the warranty, at which point you end up with a costly door stop.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 16:48 
Skillmeister

JohnCoffey wrote:
How can it be an error? ...
Sure, it's the best gaming console out there,

Answered your own question.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 16:50 

The XBox 360 is the Alfa Romeo of the console world.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 18:55 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Returning it to MS is easier than taking it back to the shop, (especially since I bought mine online).

Just make sure you don't believe their claptop about them sending you a box, because they won't.

Mine was back with me very quickly, and I got the same machine back with a new mobo/dvd drive. So just the same casing then, really. ;)

It's testament to how good the 360 is that it's the first console I've EVER OWNED (and I have a collection of them) to pack up and I still love it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:21 
Sleepyhead

JohnCoffey wrote:
Infact I don't know a single person that has not had to return one at one point in time or another.

*waves*

Well, that's cursed me, hasn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:34 
UltraMod

I'm not waving.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:36 
INFINITE POWAH

I had a red ring once. Well, it didn't start out red. Etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:12 

I thought you denied the pegging allegations.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:20 
INFINITE POWAH

"We have a policy of never confirming or denying whether we have signed authorisations for any buggering activities"
/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:22 

She looked like someone just surprised her from behind.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:23 
INFINITE POWAH

She can neither confirm nor deny that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 13:05 
That Rev Chap

My brother got a 360 on Christmas Day.

Set it up on Boxing Day.

Got the red ring of death today.

Fantastic.

And his GTA IV disc is stuff in the machine and won't come out.

Hoorah!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 13:44 
Peculiar, yet lovely

The Rev Owen wrote:
And his GTA IV disc is stuff in the machine and won't come out.

Hoorah!

Surely every DVD drive in the universe has a manual release catch?

You might have to take the case off I suppose, mind. But actually, the RROD shouldn't affect the DVD drive anyway. How strange.

I've repaired an RRoD! It's what them lot said above, poor heat-proofing that seems to be a result of simple, miserly cost cutting (like, a couple of screws and washers per unit). Don't know how long it'll last of course, they don't seem like the kind of machine that'll still be around much in twenty years. Sad really, as they're fun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 13:46 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Aye, the manual release catch is inside. On most drives I've seen you can get to it from underneath the faceplate.

Seems a bit odd to get the three red segments quite that quickly, mind. Have you tried it in a different plug socket? Power fluctuations can cause it, too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 13:49 

Limescale buildup in your electricity. You're in a "hard power" area. You should rub the sockets with calgon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 14:42 

AceAceBaby wrote:
Limescale buildup in your electricity. You're in a "hard power" area. You should rub the sockets with calgon.
:DD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 15:28 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Only works if you sing the jingle as you do it, obviously.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 15:42 
Sleepyhead

As long as you don't get crushed by heavy electricity.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 14:27 
I forgot about this - how vain

Great, I've just got 1 red ring and the error message E74.

BAH! >:(

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next