Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Can I wish for instant armageddon now please?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 0:23 
Excellent Excellente

Money-grabbing music-raping arsehole "more popular" than God? Seriously?

It's bad enough that people watch his shitty show every week in millions of droves and willingly throw their money away on whatever knockoff identikit ballad cover they shit out immediately afterwards. And what's worse is that this year they're doing it to an actual, DECENT piece of music. Would you REALLY prefer to hear Hallelujah sung by a no-mark Beyonce wannabe with overdramatic drowning music, accompanied by an "explosive" key change and rent-a-choir gospel singers (much like every other X-Factor/Pop Idol single ever released funnily enough) than a simple, yet goosebumpy effort by Jeff Buckley, or even Leonard Cohen's worthersy originals?

There's already a fuck-ton of Facebook groups supporting the cause to stop the X-Factor from dominating the umpteenth Xmas chart with such sacrilege, mainly by campaigning that we buy the Buckley version. Heck, there's even a group supporting the idea of buying Rick Astley instead. ANYTHING is better than this unwanted dirge.

Yes I'm in a really bad mood today, as I honestly believe the UK - if not the world - is full to the brim of gullible imbeciles.

Post subject: Re: Can I wish for instant armageddon now please?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 0:31 
Sleepyhead

I do agree that it's an identikit, dull version of 'Hallelujah', sung by someone who would sing any song the exact same way, and who doesn't really care for what she is singing, and I would never buy it...

...but I do enjoy watching the show, as predictable as it is. It amuses me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 0:36 

MarzSyndrome wrote:
Money-grabbing music-raping arsehole "more popular" than God? Seriously?

I thought that was the Beatles.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 0:50 

I actually quite liked JLS, for what they were anyway, there's no credible replacement for the likes of Damage or even Boyz 2 Men around.

They would have butchered that song of course (didn't see the final in case they did it on that) but at least they were a good example of their own genre, which is more than anyone else there was, with the possible exception of Diana who I quite liked.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:00 

In protest I have not only bought the Jeff Buckley version of 'Hallelujah' (to be fair, I'd been meaning to grab it for ages), but I'm also currently listening to The Beat's cover of 'Tears Of A Clown', which is how one should cover a classic song.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:28 
Skillmeister

As a protest, I killed God.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:42 

If a dodgy cover detracts from the original, the original had it coming Personally I don't think this no-mark's vocally athletic passion free rendition does anything to detract from the Cohen or Cale versions and Buckley's is too widely spooged over for me to give a fuck anymore. These facebook groups, when I see who is in them, remind me that Buckley's version is most widely loved by Startbucks Hoxton Cunts who wouldn't recognise another tune from Grace if it bit them on the nads.

Hallelujah is a song which benefits from different interpretations. Shit though Beyconce's (whoever's) version is, I'm less bored of it than Buckley's. Go and buy Mystery White boy, and shut up, you fashionista tards. Every cunt I know rages about Buckley Hallelujah.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:31 
Gogmagog

SpunkyMonkeyTrumpet wrote:
As a protest, I killed God.

If the argument is about cover versions, with this, you are an overweight elephant on ice skates right now. In Antartica.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:53 
That Rev Chap

My wife was upset that there was a pop, talent contest version of Hallelujah. My response was, "Leonard Choen shouldn't write such fucking good songs then, should he?" I think it's a fair point.

Anyway, Buckley's version is probably my fourth favourite version, after the aforementioned Cohen and Cale versions and Willie Nelson's version.

Anyway, thank God Alexandra won. It's a bit too clean and big and I'm not going to be buying/downloading it, but, you know, we could be stuck with Eoghan's version.

Anyway, I love the X-Factor and this year was a good year. Which is nice, because last year was utterly terrible.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:00 
Excellent Painter

See, I didn't really follow the show that closely, but that Bagpuss oirish scamp? How the fuck did he get to the final? Every time I caught him he was some nauseatingly smirking goit with a very weak voice - if I were less ahem cynical, I'd say he was deliberately used to encourage people to vote for the other two.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:03 
That Rev Chap

DBCracker wrote:
See, I didn't really follow the show that closely, but that Bagpuss oirish scamp? How the fuck did he get to the final? Every time I caught him he was some nauseatingly smirking goit with a very weak voice - if I were less ahem cynical, I'd say he was deliberately used to encourage people to vote for the other two.

He had a surprisingly good voice when given big numbers, but they seemed to try and keep him small and cute. I'm glad he didn't win, but not because of his voice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:08 
Excellent Member

MarzSyndrome wrote:

PRESS RELEASE DISGUISED AS NEWS SHOCK! FILM AT 11!

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:48 

The Rev Snowen wrote:
DBCracker wrote:

He had a surprisingly good voice when given big numbers, but they seemed to try and keep him small and cute. I'm glad he didn't win, but not because of his voice.

This may be one of the greater failings of the show. Spend the auditions looking for someone with a distinctive voice and personality. Then spend 12 live shows making them sing karaoke versions of stuff that doesn't suit them.... and complaining at them for sounding karaoke.

And also somehow assuming that (for instance) Leona's conversion of every song into one where the last 1/3 scares cats within 5 miles and has nothing to do with the song is a good thing.

It's interesting that the two most successful acts from these shows (Will Young and Girls Aloud) are the two that either evolved (Young) or were kept away from Simon by Louie who knows how to package a group (GA).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:58 
Isn't that lovely?

I don't really care about X-Factor, and up until this year, would only watch it, if I was in the room whilst Pauline had it on.

But this year, my kids (especially my eldest) really got into it. And as such we watched it as a family.

Over the course of the series, everyone had their favourites, and we also did our own scoring out of 10 for each song. And it was fun. I still wouldn't watch it if it wasn't for the kids loving it, but taking it as a bit of family fun it's really quite good.

As for the song they chose, it's boring and Alex's version of it was far better than JLS (whom I slightly preferred overall as Alex was getting a bit too soppy), having never heard of the original song before this, I then heard it on the radio twice. And that's boring too. I found it as bad as that cover of "Mad World" that was christmas number 1 a few years back, which just made me want to kill myself.

So yes, I used to agree with the point of the original post, but can now see it from the other side too.

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:59 
That Rev Chap

Dudley wrote:
It's interesting that the two most successful acts from these shows (Will Young and Girls Aloud) are the two that either evolved (Young) or were kept away from Simon by Louie who knows how to package a group (GA).

But Leona has broken America, big style. Worldwide, I think she might the most successful of them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:21 
Sleepyhead

The Rev Snowen wrote:
Dudley wrote:

But Leona has broken America, big style. Worldwide, I think she might the most successful of them.

Indeed. She's even nominated for 'Record of the Year' at the Grammys.

I quite like Will Young's new single, daft horsey video notwithstanding.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 
Gogmagog

I quite fancied the 17 year old lass. The blonde one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:30 
Excellent Member

The Rev Snowen wrote:

By not being treated like a reality TV contestant. The goal of the show is basically, your 16 week Christmas No 1 advertising campaign and follow up album. The winner gets chucked on the scrapheap in 12 months. Everyone has made a fuck load of money, job done.

If they do find someone with a genuine talent, they are taken away from that as quickly as possible. See: Girls Aloud.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:31 
Hibernating Druid

X factor is ace until Bootcamp.

I won't be buying any of the garbage produced by the winner or runners up.

So, er... there you go.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:33 
That Rev Chap

I've not bought anything by an X-Factor contestant, though I have spent money on Girls Aloud CDs.

And I think I'll probably pay 79p for Leona's Bleeding Love at some point, because it's a fantastic song.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:36 
That Rev Chap

Oh, and Miranda Lambert was a contestant on Country Idol. She didn't win, but she's bloody brilliant, one of my favourite new finds in ages. I love her. I had her two "proper" CDs bought for me in the States and I, er, downloaded her first indie CD from [official online sources - Ed].

I've even thought about joining her fan club, and I've not been in a music fan club since I joined the Marillion fan club when I was seventeen.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:38 
Gogmagog

I like the ginger one form Girls Aloud. And she likes me as well. We are destined to be together.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:45 
Excellent Member

My oringinal posting contained a bit about how the music industry needed and got five slappers that were happy to mime and get their kit off at every opportunity that they could merchandise the hell out of. So cheers for proving my point.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:50 
Gogmagog

Plitzen wrote:
My oringinal posting contained a bit about how the music industry needed and got five slappers that were happy to mime and get their kit off at every opportunity that they could merchandise the hell out of. So cheers for proving my point.

No worries, cobber.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:14 
Sleepyhead

Plitzen wrote:
The Rev Snowen wrote:

By not being treated like a reality TV contestant. The goal of the show is basically, your 16 week Christmas No 1 advertising campaign and follow up album. The winner gets chucked on the scrapheap in 12 months. Everyone has made a fuck load of money, job done.

If they do find someone with a genuine talent, they are taken away from that as quickly as possible. See: Girls Aloud.

Given that for the past few years the follow up album hasn't been released for 12 months, that's not strictly true.

And Leon Jackson's (last year's winner) new single ('Creative') is actually quite good, now that they've stopped trying to make him a pop singer and given him an up tempo Buble-esque number.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:19 

The Rev Snowen wrote:
Dudley wrote:

True, because they like that screeching shit too.

She's a lot better than she's been allowed to be.

Quote:
I like the ginger one form Girls Aloud. And she likes me as well. We are destined to be together.

Back off, you have a MrsA already!

Quote:

And that's the Diana I mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:22 
Gogmagog

[quote="Dudley"=]
Quote:

And that's the Diana I mentioned.[/quote]

I thought you meant the Queen of People's Hearts.

Do you know what she would say if she were alive today?

"LET ME OUT OF THIS BOX!" most likely.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:33 
Goth

Clausiosity wrote:
And Leon Jackson's (last year's winner) new single ('Creative') is actually quite good, now that they've stopped trying to make him a pop singer and given him an up tempo Buble-esque number.

Good grief, so much wrongness. As if anything buble could be approaching good. And add that to Leon as well. Crikey.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:33 

"Crikey 11 years in here's been boring."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:40 
Sleepyhead

Nirejingle Bells wrote:
Clausiosity wrote:

Good grief, so much wrongness. As if anything buble could be approaching good. And add that to Leon as well. Crikey.

I don't really like Mister Bubbles, much preferring Mister Connick Jr for my modern crooning, but he's a useful reference point in this day and age.

It's still a good song though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:43 

MarzSyndrome wrote:

Simon Cowell, though, actually exists.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:47 

MaliA wrote:

I thought Paul O' Grady had stopped peddling his drag act?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:48 
UltraMod

Ouch.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:48 
Gogmagog

Mimistletoe wrote:
MaliA wrote:

BAD MIMI!

Now I have coffee on my keyboard.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:13 
Excellent Member

Mimistletoe wrote:
MaliA wrote:

*applauds*

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:16 
Hibernating Druid

As I have said on numerous occasions, the Ginger one from Girls Aloud is awful. She has the skin tone of a cadaver and is just plain urgh.

Stop liking her.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:17 
Gogmagog

Zardasher wrote:
As I have said on numerous occasions, the Ginger one from Girls Aloud is awful. She has the skin tone of a cadaver and is just plain urgh.

Stop liking her.

Post reported to Modz.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:18 
Hibernating Druid

There's more norms than Ginger mods anyways. Ha!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:19 
Gogmagog

Zardasher wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Zardasher wrote:

The others are weak though.

Mind you, you're right about tha wee ginger beastie.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 13:10 
Skillmeister

MaliA wrote:
Zardasher wrote:

Antidote

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 13:12 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Looks like pretty much any one of dozen ropey A level students I see every week, except with worse hair.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 15:03 
Excellent Excellente

The Rev Snowen wrote:
Dudley wrote:

But she's only really had one major hit single worldwide to date (Bleeding Love), and her album sold well mostly to the "middle-aged housewives who love Mariah Carey and Il Divo" market. She hasn't exactly been truly accepted by people of all ages, nor has she become "cool to like", nor has she maintained a long string of several hit songs worldwide. I thought to have well and truly broken America, you needed to get their attention with something, and keep them very interested in the rest of your output from then on. (I noticed they didn't make Spirit climb all the way to the top of the Billboard Album chart again purely on the back of a cash-in suckers "deluxe" edition, like what happened here in the UK.)

Maybe if Miss Lewis ends up achieving all of this, then I'll be inclined to agree. But to be honest, right now she should stop being a one-trick pony and stop trying to out-Mariah Mariah. The original is bad enough.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 15:29 
Honey Boo Boo

I note that the only member of Girls Aloud that ever gets mentioned with 'cor, I fancy her! WOOF WOOF!' comments is Ginger Nicola. The other four, therefore, can fuck off.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 15:47 
Sleepyhead

SnowAngel wrote:
I note that the only member of Girls Aloud that ever gets mentioned with 'cor, I fancy her! WOOF WOOF!' comments is Ginger Nicola. The other four, therefore, can fuck off.

Only in places full of:

a) Gingers, or
b) Mentalists

I think everyone in the world who does not fall into those categories would have Nicola 5th out of 5 on the 'Girls Aloud To Do' list.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 16:08 
Gogmagog

Clausiosity wrote:
SnowAngel wrote:

Only in places full of:

a) Gingers, or
b) Mentalists

I think everyone in the world who does not fall into those categories would have Nicola 5th out of 5 on the 'Girls Aloud To Do' list.

You're on my list now..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 16:10 
UltraMod

Ahead or behind the ginger one?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 16:11 
Sleepyhead

myoptinsel wrote:
Ahead or behind the ginger one?

I hope I'd be ahead of Craster...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 16:12 
UltraMod

He does have a lovely beard, though. It's a toss-up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 16:24 
Excellent Member

well, i didn't knew this band, but after checking it on google images all i have to say is: I wished the ginger did porn.

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next