Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30669 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 614  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 13:59 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

myoptinsel wrote:
At the moment, I'd say yes.

Penis.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 14:00 
Gogmagog

Where you gonna stick the baby?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 14:02 
UltraMod

Cras Cringle wrote:
myoptinsel wrote:
At the moment, I'd say yes.

Penis.

Normally, I'd say no, though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 14:06 

MaliA wrote:

It's front-engined, so has a boot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 14:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MaliA wrote:

Hood ornament.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 14:14 

Zio-lent Night wrote:
Question:
Would selling a Honda Civic in order to buy a Lotus Elan be enough of a reason to be sectioned under the Mental Health Act?

Yes. It's a Lotus. And a (relatively) rare Lotus, at that. Parts will be fucking astronomically expensive, I'd have thought. Just get an MX-5 :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 14:16 
Gogmagog

Zio-lent Night wrote:
Question:

Would selling one of these...
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/800764.htm (not my actual car, but an identical one)

in order to buy one of these...
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/816193.htm

be enough of a reason to be sectioned under the Mental Health Act?

I've been reading the pistonheads forums recently, and I am under the impression it's full of 17 year old twats.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 14:27 

MaliA wrote:
I've been reading the pistonheads forums recently, and I am under the impression it's full of 17 year old twats.

Pretty much all car forums are, I've found. The only ones I've found that aren't are the car forum at SA, and owners club forums for "rarer" cars. You look at the Vectra Owners Club forum and it's full of eejits, look at the Celica Club forum and it's fine :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 14:29 

Yeah, all I tend to use Pistonheads for is to ogle over the classifieds section during my lunch break. The forum is pretty worthless.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 14:42 
UltraMod

Zio, get one of these:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 14:43 

myoptinsel wrote:
Zio, get one of these
Wow, someone really has a 6R4 fetish.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 15:47 
UltraMod

Yes, but they've done it hideously.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 17:06 
making out to faces of death

Mine! :DD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 18:15 
Esoteric

Ooo ! I've owned two gas guzzling pits. Neither really cost much money, but time, blood sweat & tears.

My first love was Thomas. Thomas was my SHO Taurus. It had a really odd Yamaha V8 in it. Once the chip was hacked the car did about 100mph all out. But the accel and torque were like being in the Starship Enterprise.

Sadly it only achieved about 9mpg, and when the torque finally proved too much for the wheel bearings (shredding them and snapping a driveshaft) it was sold.

It was given to me free of charge, and started life in a field where it had sat for about four years. Right before that it had a new head gasket.

In the large barn during bodywork. I did all of this myself. The entire roof was rotten to the metal so had to be bare metaled, then skimmed with metal glaze (runny bondo).

Then it went into primer.

And finally it was base coated, then hit with House of Kolor raspberry kameleon pearl. This was simply to keep the color close to the original and add some bling. Note the body has been completely smoothed over, all badges and logos removed in order to make it look like a standard Taurus. Sleeper.

At the time it wasn't a money pit. Just a serious time pit. I spent 3 months in the hottest fucking summer in a barn you could never imagine. 103'. I lost 2 stone.

It would have become a money pit however, had I finished it. These were the wheels I had lined up. $2000 with no tires. Foose Spank 5

Sadly the car was just too unreliable to make that kind of commitment. So, it got sold and I bought a Hyundai Tiburon. Known in the UK as a coupe the main difference was the spec. 2l DOHC, full air con, cruise, tilt wheel adjustable pedals and full electric everything. I got this after it had hit a deer two years before (you cant see the frontal damage) but had a damn good engine and ran well.

Then over the space of two years I turned it into this -

Not to everyones taste I agree, but no mean feat seeing as I had literally zero experience with cars mechanics and painting.

Dash. This was a Grant GT race wheel, carbon pedals, race seats and harnesses. Aswell as a $500 Sony HU (was removed when the car sold) Nesa DVD player, Fusion parametric EQ and god knows what else. Ignore the fact the car was automatic, Ill cover that in a mo.

Enormous screen (10") the biggest I could cram in.

And to finish it off holographic pearl paint. Here it is near dusk going orange.

And in daylight going green.

Vents were real, and at one stage it had one of these on it. This is during the rebuild, it was removed before the car was sold because the 16 yo girl who bought the car would have killed herself.

During the cam swap out.

So it was pretty quick. Produced about 200 BHP and the gearbox was switchable to allow red lining even tho it was auto. Fast enough.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 18:23 
Honey Boo Boo

I can't see the pictures you've undoubtedly included (blocked at work) but didn't the SHO have a special bumper with 'SHO' etched into it?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 18:30 
Esoteric

SnowAngel wrote:
I can't see the pictures you've undoubtedly included (blocked at work) but didn't the SHO have a special bumper with 'SHO' etched into it?

It was removed.Broken. The car was in a really bad way when I got it. Front bumper was cracked in half and the back one was twisted so we had to to to the junkyard. Mind you, the stock ones were cheap.

It did have the SHO logos down the sides but they were all filled in and smoothed over. The 'slicer' rims are gone in the pics too, because they were oddball 16" and I had no intention of keeping them. So I simply traded them with the junkyard to get discount on the bumpers. note the mass gap in the wheel arches lol.

I only had the bastard on the road for about two months. It was a nightmare. First the starter went, then the alt.. Which needed a new battery. Absolutely awful car.

It was my ex wifes first car, she ended up getting a brand new focus in 02. Ford offered her $200 for the car as it was in such a terrible state so she dumped it in the field and I picked it up in 06.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 18:43 
Honey Boo Boo

Perhaps my childhood memory is imperfect but I don't recall my parents' Taurus (1987 GL) or my grandparent's (1986 LX wagon with the utterly ludicrous entirely electronic dashboard) being that troublesome.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 18:44 

Nice Coupe :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 19:22 
Esoteric

SnowAngel wrote:
Perhaps my childhood memory is imperfect but I don't recall my parents' Taurus (1987 GL) or my grandparent's (1986 LX wagon with the utterly ludicrous entirely electronic dashboard) being that troublesome.

The car was doomed from the off tbh. It was troublesome when my wife got it (cheap) and needed a full respray then. Sadly her brother carried it out but only because he wanted daddy to cosign a dodge truck. So it was rushed, hence the roof problems later.

My wife was hit in the back in a parking lot, then hit a racoon cracking the front bumper. Then the head gasket went. It was repaired under recall but soon after the electrics went and it kept breaking down. The windows would lower and raise themselves and the wipers stopped working completely (not an option in the winter, when you get 3ft of snow). So out of worry she got a new car.

The leccy problems turned out to be the dimmer for the headlamps, it was a known problem and caused shorts when it started acting up. The starter alt and so on were down to the 3 year sit in a field, in some damn harsh conditions.

Its a shame really. Because the car was amazing inside. Comfy, wonderful seats and etc. The only thing I didnt like was the too powerful power steering. It left you with no real feel of the tarmac below you. Not good on entry/exit ramps and you tended to over steer every corner.

I think I just fell in love with it a bit too much and tried to flog a dead horse. My FIL ended up buying it off me for the $900 I initially paid for the Tiburon (coupe) and fixed the bearings/shaft and put the engine back to normal. But a year later it refused to shift and the tranny died. So it ended up being scrapped.

Soooo glad I got rid tbh. Those cars are fine new, but as soon as they roll into the 90k bracket its game over.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 19:32 
Esoteric

AceAceBaby wrote:
Nice Coupe :)

Thankyou :)

Just to note.. The spoiler was not a part of the original design. The car has also been smoothed and shaved (most of the work isn't that apparent, that was the whole idea). The mouth of the car also wasnt like that, theyre usually open in the mid bottom, I made a grille and fitted some HID fogs, blacking out the original ones and fitting red strobes and underbody neons (red.. for shows.. honest lmao)

The original design was to rip the spoilerbugger off and smooth the arse. The coupe has the most wonderful curvaceous arse. So that was how it went.. See pic..

I spent about two months smoothing the back of this car out. From removing all the dents in the tailgate to taking out the badge indentation (they sit in an oval, the crooked H likes).

And here was the car pre spoilerwingthing.

Which was the intention for the look of the car. However, money talks and BS walks. I knew my car would end up going to a rich kid, so following the advice of all the rich teens I knew (who cussed me out for removing the initial spoiler.. kids...) I bought the wing for $35. Chopped it in width and custom cut the side things to follow the swoop. It was only on there for about two weeks before the car sold and served it's purpose.

IE - Yous gotta have the Vin Diesel to make the money biyatch.

At first I thought I was going to be physically sick seeing that wing on there, but it did kinda grow on me and completely changed the arse. Dont know if Ill ever grow to like it but because the car was built and done properly it didnt look so bad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 20:04 
Esoteric

One more pic. Just found this one when digging about.

This is what the paint 'did'. Basically when the light conditions were just right the holographic chips did some really truly odd things to the shape of the car. Almost making it look like it was twisted, turning it the most beautiful colors.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 22:26 

JohnCoffey wrote:

Altern8 did your bodywork? that's amazing :DD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 22:28 

AceAceBaby wrote:
L-LOL; POTW.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 23:29 

AceAceBaby wrote:

I am not worthy *bows*

Details man, details! Price, UK model or import, bhp etc. Do you still have the MR2?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 0:53 
Esoteric

AceAceBaby wrote:
Altern8 did your bodywork? that's amazing :DD [/color]

:this:

Fabulous :D

That's actually me over the back there. I can't remember what I was doing now lol.

All I remember is being drunk. That place there was my buddy's workplace (the tall guy up front) and we weren't strictly supposed to be there. It was 92' outside and those Tyvek suits are completely like plastic.

I don't know if you have ever heard the expression 'swamp ass' but it's when you have a sweaty crack in the summer. Those suits gave me swamp body. Thank fuck there was a shower there (big industrial place). We were up til 4am painting that bloody car and by the time we got done I was rat arsed :attitude:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 15:41 
Honey Boo Boo

Apologies if it's been posted before, but Ten Pence Short's story of almost killing a biker after losing control of his car is absolutely chilling and you really feel his 'what have I done?' terror.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 42266&i=40

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 15:56 

GazChap wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:

I am not worthy *bows*

Details man, details! Price, UK model or import, bhp etc. Do you still have the MR2?

£2300, Import, stock so should be 240bhp, though engine guy suggested an Aussie downpipe would be a good mod. I do still have the MR2 on my drive. I need to put it back to stock (just stereo and steering wheel really) and see about selling it I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 16:06 

Nice car, Ace. Now you just need a Lancia Delta for your own little Sega Rally collection.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 16:07 

I loved those! :DD
No GT4 in Forza :'(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 17:08 

SnowAngel wrote:
Apologies if it's been posted before, but Ten Pence Short's story of almost killing a biker after losing control of his car is absolutely chilling and you really feel his 'what have I done?' terror.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 42266&i=40

Yeah, I've read that before, it's probably the most sobering cautionary tale I have ever read.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 17:32 
Honey Boo Boo

Combine that with the new radio adverts about drink driving (where you get a simulated trip through being thrown into the cells) and you have a very, very sobering set of thoughts in my head.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 17:56 

SnowAngel wrote:
Combine that with the new radio adverts about drink driving (where you get a simulated trip through being thrown into the cells) and you have a very, very sobering set of thoughts in my head.

Shit yeah, I remember reading all that when my recent problems first began and it made me think, awful though this may seem, that while I might feel like shit, at least I'm not that guy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 18:02 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

SnowAngel wrote:

Yes, those are rather good*. Much better all round than the disgusting 'don't go out and get pissed and preggers' ads that run backwards, delighfully showing you a lass eating her own vomit. Twice.

*Although my inner angry lefty (henceforth referred to as my inner Dudley) gets irritated that they say "If you are arrested for drink driving, you'll be processed just like any other criminal" rather than "just like any other suspected criminal".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 18:06 
Honey Boo Boo

That sounds rather like the HEAT or whatever I just found in one of the drawers here at work, with the headline 'he forced me to eat my own poo'.

Er, fucking hell!

I really need to stop reading bike reviews, as I'll end up convinced I can afford a new one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 19:14 
baron of techno

Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:
L-LOL; POTW.

:DD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:10 
Gogmagog

JohnCoffey wrote:
Then over the space of two years I turned it into this -

Not to everyones taste I agree, but no mean feat seeing as I had literally zero experience with cars mechanics and painting.

Dash. This was a Grant GT race wheel, carbon pedals, race seats and harnesses. Aswell as a $500 Sony HU (was removed when the car sold) Nesa DVD player, Fusion parametric EQ and god knows what else. Ignore the fact the car was automatic, Ill cover that in a mo.

Enormous screen (10") the biggest I could cram in.

And to finish it off holographic pearl paint. Here it is near dusk going orange.

And in daylight going green.

That is gash as fuck.

JohnCoffey wrote:
Vents were real, and at one stage it had one of these on it. This is during the rebuild, it was removed before the car was sold because the 16 yo girl who bought the car would have killed herself.

Bollocks it would, it's a Hyundai fucking Coupe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:39 

AceAceBaby wrote:
I do still have the MR2 on my drive. I need to put it back to stock (just stereo and steering wheel really) and see about selling it I guess.

Can thee give me some specs on it? How much would you want to sell it for? I'd even buy it off you with the stereo and steering wheel if the price is right ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:43 
Gogmagog

AceAceBaby wrote:

I like that.

A lot.

"What'll it do, mistah?"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:46 
UltraMod

I like that. Much better than those horrible wedge things.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:59 

GazChap wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:
I do still have the MR2 on my drive. I need to put it back to stock (just stereo and steering wheel really) and see about selling it I guess.

Can thee give me some specs on it? How much would you want to sell it for? I'd even buy it off you with the stereo and steering wheel if the price is right ;)

The MR2 is a Mark 2 revision 2, 3SGE engine (156bhp new), 147,000 miles :O And has a mongoose exhaust as the only modification. I'll put the shinier wheels back on it, the scruffy ones have the worn tires from airfields and whatnot. Some scratches and things on the bodywork, but no rust except teeny spots that I can see. I'd keep it, but my family look at me funny when I suggest that (I can't drive three cars at once, and it's kind of ok to have a land rover because it's oviously for different purposes). In total I've spent about £1500 on the car, and another £200 on the spare wheels and a full set of (unused, only opened to nose at) EBC yellow stuff pads. I would probably take less than I paid for the car stock (£1250), there's no money in them, and it's taking up space now I guess. That would include the extra gubbins, but with the stock toyota radio and steering wheel. I did the oil and air filters and oil change last month too, and it has toyota stamp in the history for January. MOT til April, Tax until September. I had a lot of fun with it, and you know i've driven it, though I made a point of not revving it until it was fully warmed up. The handling I love. I can see me getting a Turbo MR2 in future- the turning circle on the Celica is like an oil tanker in comparison, but it will be more practical with the hatch back, and it has some hoof. The insurance wasn't much more than for my Fiat Punto. It's almost double for the Celica, but hey ho.

MaliA, the Celica is 4wd, 240bhp turbo. I don't know what it'll do, I haven't taken it to a track. I might go to Elvington in January.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:15 

What year is it? Vaguely remember it being an L-reg, but is that 93 or 94?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:27 

I'm so glad I don't have room for a 2nd car because I would have cracked :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:30 
Sitting balls-back folder

That's a bit harsh Mali.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:35 

If I had that cash right now I would bite your hand off, Ace. Boo-urns.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:47 

Dudley wrote:
I'm so glad I don't have room for a 2nd car because I would have cracked :)

It seems that MR2 (and Celica) prices have crashed (much like most cars, I guess) and even £1,000 for a non-turbo MR2 with that mileage seems unrealistic.

I'll give you £500 for it, Ace (serious offer, but with the knowledge that it's probably too low for you)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:49 
Gogmagog

Swap it for a 205 (fucked)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:51 
Esoteric

MaliA wrote:

Heh, which was my point. Ever driven one? felt the torque steer from the front wheel drive?

You should feel it with a turbo on.

Try and realise what is said and why before you say things like that. I actually said that because of one of the cars few down sides. However, if you did want to go into why they're fantastic cars then I could do that too?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 13:04 
Gogmagog

JohnCoffey wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Heh, which was my point. Ever driven one? felt the torque steer from the front wheel drive?

Try and realise what is said and why before you say things like that. I actually said that because of one of the cars few down sides. However, if you did want to go into why they're fantastic cars then I could do that too?

Well, no.

Simply as it reads "Girls can't drive powerful cars", which, to put simply, is bollocks. And patronising.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 13:06 
Master of dodgy spelling....

MaliA wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Well, no.

Simply as it reads "Girls can't drive powerful cars", which, to put simply, is bollocks. And patronising.

My Hairdesser has one

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 13:06 
Esoteric

Ah. Well it wasn't the fact she was a girl, more that she was 16 and had never driven a car before. I cringe when I think where it is now, probably in a ditch somewhere in Wyoming lol.

It had a nasty habit of going forward when it was supposed to turn, even without the charger.

Reply to topic  [ 30669 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 614  Next