Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 133  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 23:10 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
Hmm, the One X is as expensive as the One on Amazon. Am I missing something? I thought the X was a marginally inferior predecessor.

The One X is inferior to the One in every way, yes. Not sure why the prices are so weird on Amazon to be honest.

Indeed, if you can get a One for the same price as a One X then definitely do so, it's a nicer piece of kit for sure. It's got a nicer 'metal' sort of build, the screen is better, the camera is better, it's got more processor and graphics grunt, the whole lot basically.

Mate of mine at work has a One and I do like it and I do want one, but not 'Yeah that's worth spending £400 on' sort of want though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 0:30 
SavyGamer

Yeah, HTC One is really fucking nice. I'd have to see something pretty special to want to upgrade.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm talking about the prospects of what might come out in the next 6 months or whatever.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Cras wrote:
Hurrah, 4.3 just arrived for my S4. I can finally turn off that annoying 'wifi disabled because internet connection is slow' setting.

What happened to your Nexus?

Phones are my job, I rarely have the same one for more than three months ;)

Grim...'s got the Nexus now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:21 
Best
Board Mother

Cras wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Cras wrote:
Hurrah, 4.3 just arrived for my S4. I can finally turn off that annoying 'wifi disabled because internet connection is slow' setting.

What happened to your Nexus?

Phones are my job, I rarely have the same one for more than three months ;)

Grim...'s got the Nexus now.

Ah, okay. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:03 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
Yeah, HTC One is really fucking nice. I'd have to see something pretty special to want to upgrade.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm talking about the prospects of what might come out in the next 6 months or whatever.

I really want a One Max, I wish they'd get on with it and announce the fucking thing. Expansys are doing a deal on the Xperia Z Ultra where they're throwing in one of those new Sony smart swatches for free which is incredibly tempting so if they announce the One Max and it sucks for some reason I'll be really pissed off if I've missed the Expansys deal by that time due to HTC's heel dragging.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 20:51 
Unpossible!

Moving to 4.3 on the Galaxy S2 has *dramatically* increased battery life. After coming off charge at 6am and a pretty full day of usage, I'd normally be out of juice by 9pm. Currently still on 44%. Impressive

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 22:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Indeed. The Nexus 4 is the first phone I've had in a long time that will last 24 hours without being plugged in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 22:42 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Indeed. The Nexus 4 is the first phone I've had in a long time that will last 24 hours without being plugged in.

I'd always heard moaning about the battery life in the N4 and just assumed Google had saddled with something weak sauce but it turns out it's got a more powerful battery than the SII which I could usually get a day out of without much of a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 22:50 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

the 4 doesn't have expandable storage, right? what about the "equivalent" standard of other mfr phones?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 22:56 
Excellent Member

Bobbyaro wrote:
the 4 doesn't have expandable storage, right? what about the "equivalent" standard of other mfr phones?

I'm not sure what you mean; what's the relationship between storage and battery capacity?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 23:02 

Sorry, it was a question on an entirely unrelated subject.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 23:15 
Excellent Member

Bobbyaro wrote:
Sorry, it was a question on an entirely unrelated subject.

Ah, right, sorry. 16GB has always pretty much been the standard for in-built storage, 32GB variants of the more recent various flagship phones do exist but don't seem to be as common. HTCs latest seems to be trying to change that a bit though as the One is only available in 32 and 64 GB flavours.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

And "no", the Nexus 4 doesn't have expandable storage.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:22 
Unpossible!

I was having terrible trouble last week with my phone complaining about the application storage being low. I totalled up my installed apps and it came to about 300MB. Considering the SG2 has about 2GB for app storage I thought this was amiss. Turns out I had about 4 complete phone backups stored in a hidden folder from when I was first rooting and custom-romming it about a year ago. Backups deleted, 1GB+ free for apps :)

"Cool story Bro!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:13 

I dropped my S3 a few weeks back whilst it was charging, which seemed to knacker the USB socket on it. It would charge, but reeeeaaaaally sloooooooowly. For instance, I could plug it in to the wall charger, switch off the phone and leave it overnight for at least six hours, only to find it had gone from 20% to around 65% on the battery. Fucking hopeless. You could plug it in and leave it in standby and watch it say it was charging, whilst the battery continued depleting anyway.

So I took it in to one of those dodgy shops yesterday a few doors down from where I work, where they've told me they can fix it for £35. Immediate mistake methinks, and I'm wondering now if I'll ever see the phone again.

However, I'd forgotten I'd installed Cerberus on it, and that's been going nuts all night spamming my email. So at least I know where the phone is and have a lovely photo of the guy doing the repair too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 13:38 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Post the picture!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 13:42 
Awesome
Yes

Has this bloke actually stolen your phone then, or you just think he might?

Has he put another SIM card in? Why has Cerberus started sending you emails?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 14:40 

Ah, I was being silly - I have the phone back and everything. No idea whether or not they fixed the phone though - the problem is intermittent, so it'll take a few days before I know for sure. I just thought it was funny to have Cerberus go nuts spamming me with the phone's location and a photo of a slightly bemused looking asian chap. Seems he does his repairs late at night from a house a few streets away from the actual shop.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 16:04 

Okay, they haven't fixed the phone. They've replaced the charging port, but the issue remains.

Time to enact Plan B: sell the fucker to CEX and buy something that works with my ill-gotten gains.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 17:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Ooh. Let me know what CEX give you. Mazuma will give you £178.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 17:06 

For a Galaxy S3?! I'll have to get in touch with them then, as I'm sure CEX won't give me that much. I just want to get myself a Nexus 4 really, whilst they're cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 18:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

£170 today (or £187 in Argos money): http://www.mazumamobile.com/sell-my-mob ... i9300/1929

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:13 
Best
Board Mother

Sam needs a new phone and has asked me about the HTC One, can I recommend it from the comments in this thread?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:18 
Excellent Member

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Sam needs a new phone and has asked me about the HTC One, can I recommend it from the comments in this thread?

Yeah, it's a nice piece of kit. The other options for flagship Android phones are the Samsung Galaxy S 4 and the Sony Xperia Z1 so it just comes down to which of the three he'd prefer basically.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Yeah, it's a nice piece of kit. The other options for flagship Android phones are the Samsung Galaxy S 4 and the Sony Xperia Z1 so it just comes down to which of the three he'd prefer basically.

The Nexus 4 deserves to be in that list, despite its age. But the One is a fine phone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:25 
Best
Board Mother

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

The Nexus 4 deserves to be in that list, despite its age. But the One is a fine phone.

Cheers, I'll pass that on. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Cheers, I'll pass that on. :)

The £200 price helps the decision, but he will have to be quick. The Nexus 5 is out soon and nobody knows how much that will be.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:03 
SavyGamer

HTC One is the nicest phone I've ever owned.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The people that have them at work are most pleased with them.

The thing it can do where it puts photos into a video and makes a little montage is fun, too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 13:44 
Excellent Member

Went into the 3 shop at lunch time to have a play with the new huge Sony phone the Xperia Z Ultra and holy fucking shit is it big! Indeed I think it might actually be too big for me, which is pretty disappointing as I quite fancied it. It might work for Mrs B though as she just chucks her phone in her bag and thus doesn't care whether it'll fit in trouser pockets or not.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 22:01 
Worst

This fucking HTC One is insane. The music player is miles better than any iPhone or iPod I've listened to. Aside from the obviousness of the speakers being better, it runs proper headphones with a lot more power.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:27 

Tesco are releasing a tablet - review here:
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/09/tescos ... ish-shock/
Apparently it will be £119 but with clubcard booster bollocks to potentially make it come in <=£100.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 18:41 
throughsilver wrote:
This fucking HTC One is insane. The music player is miles better than any iPhone or iPod I've listened to. Aside from the obviousness of the speakers being better, it runs proper headphones with a lot more power.

It's bloody great isn't it. And the battery life is surprisingly good when playing music too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 22:12 
Worst

nickachu wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

It's bloody great isn't it. And the battery life is surprisingly good when playing music too.

I want all my music to be on here. I've got an app that plays ALAC files, and I'm buzzing. It's an outrage.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 22:41 
Excellent Member

throughsilver wrote:
I've got an app that plays ALAC files, and I'm buzzing. It's an outrage.

Is buzzing a good or a bad thing? And why would you be outraged to have an app that does something? None of this makes any sense.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:59 
Awesome
Yes

Bamba wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
I've got an app that plays ALAC files, and I'm buzzing. It's an outrage.

Is buzzing a good or a bad thing? And why would you be outraged to have an app that does something? None of this makes any sense.

It's totes peng.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:57 
Unpossible!

Allow happy outrage.!?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 18:15 

Chrome has stopped allowing scrolling between tabs with a swipe. This is annoying! Is it the same if for anyone else. Is it a setting I have switched off?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 19:15 
Bad Girl

Yes. No. But in what order... only I know and I'll never tell.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 0:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

So it has. How irritating.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:16 

Damn, I hoped it was just me. Does anyone know an alternative browser which still allows this, it is really useful, especially now they have made the tab bar disappear off the screen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:26 
Excellent Member

I never use the 'swipe to change tabs' thing but can confirm it's not working on my phone either. I'm generally happy with Chrome on my phone but it's been annoying me on my Nexus 10 so I tried out some alternatives at the weekend (Firefox and Dolphin) and they've all got issues that bug me enough to go back to Chrome.

Firefox is decent these days after a dodgy start on Android and the ability to install Adblock is a real bonues but the performance still isn't there; it would barely play an animated GIF I pulled up that Chrome rendered no bother so it can fuck off. Also, it bizarrely forces you to have separate sets of desktop and mobile bookmarks which takes the otherwise excellent and useful idea of bookmark syncing and throws it under a bus. Idiots.

Dolphin isn't bad but it seems a lot slower than the other two to load pages which is an instant black mark obviously and is odd because everyone raves about it's performance. Also there's a UI flaw/feature that makes me want to murder the person responsible because it's so stupid and impacts something I do all the time. When you tap in the address bar you're doing it because you want to start typing a URL or search term. In Doplhin, when you do that, it highlights the currently URL as normal which makes you think that when you start typing the current URL will disappear to be replaced by your new text; as in every single application on any device and OS ever. What actually happens though is it just start appending your text onto the current URL (i.e. although it looks like the text is highlighted it's actually just put your cursor at the end) which is totally useless. To work round it you need to tap in the URL bar then tap space which, bizarrely, clears the text that's there and only then you can start typing your new URL/search terms. Bonkers, irritating and completely different to any other app you'll ever use.

And, on a completely unrelated note, some pictures have leaked of a branded HTC One Max which presumably represents the final hardware. The leak confirms the rumoured fingerprint scanner on the back and, surprisingly for HTC, a removable back cover which hopefully means user-replaceable battery. There's still no confirmation of the chipset in it after chat that it would have a Snapdragon 600 rather than 800 due to manufacturing shortages (the 800 is used in Sony and Samsung's new flagships hence the demand) but assuming there's no serious flaws with it HTC look to be winning my upgrade cash this year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:29 
Paws for thought

http://productforums.google.com/forum/m ... GLyuDs38a0

They have a point, the only times I ever used the feature were when it was misconstrueing my horizontal swipes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Ah, nice. Happy enough to have it on the menu bar only.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The only time I ever did it was by accident.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:53 

Cras wrote:
Ah, nice. Happy enough to have it on the menu bar only.

No, that is shit and pointless. If I have to scroll up to get the tool bar on screen, I can just click on the tab which shows up in the tool bar! This is a rubbish "improvement".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:53 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Your face is shit and pointless.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:54 

Your mum got my point!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 15:09 
Excellent Member

Cheevo whores delight, a single Android game now nets you gamer score.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:05 
Excellent Member

I'm struggling to see the point of this new Samsung Galaxy Round thing with the curved screen.

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 133  Next