Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:15 

Grim... wrote:
STUPID POOR TWATS >:(

So just buy all your games as digital downloads and skip discs enitrely. Problem solved.

Yes, they'll cost way more than the discs, but that's OK unless you're a poor twat ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:16 

I'm still more in favour of PS4... though a lot of this probably comes from frustration at trying to navigate that awful, ad-overloaded dashboard last time I tried to use a 360 and how awesome PSN+ has turned out to be. I suppose Kinect 2 could be nice if it works in a smaller room, but certainly I couldn't use the original Kinect at all when I borrowed my brother's one, so the whole thing was totally fucking pointless for me. PS Move, on the other hand, works brilliantly (and is significantly better than the Wii control method it's a very blatant copy of). Sony's indie support is also quite a draw... I mean I'm gutted the PS3 doesn't have State of Decay, as that sounds pretty awesome, but some of the exclusives on PSN are fantastic (Unfinished Swan, Journey and The Last Guy stand out in my mind) and we're getting stuff like Hotline Miami soon. Plus, of course, Pinball Arcade is only slightly behind the iOS/Android versions with tables and so on. How many tables has the 360 version got now?

In summary, and very much against the grain I know, I ultimately ended up preferring the PS3 to the 360 and so naturally favour the PS4 anyhow. Which is a bit weird for me, as a Saturn owner during the PSone era and a Dreamcast / Xbox owner during the PS2 era.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:18 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in the OUYA thread but that has a touch panel in the middle of the pad like the PS4 does and it's shit.

The space is too small and fiddly to do anything precise with so I'm writing that off straight away.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:21 
Gogmagog

STOP THE POOR FROM GAMING!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:43 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
This didn't seem to get a mention as it didn't quite fit with the idiotic narrative of Sony Corp being down with the kids vs the Evil Microsoft.

markg wrote:
I don't favour one global mega-corporation over another.

People weren't cheering Sony and booing MS because they thought either were 'down with the kids' or due to some misplaced loyalty to a corporate entity; they were doing it because Sony treated their customers with respect while MS expected us to pay to swallow the results of their poor design and decision making. Yes there was some amount of glee involved because watching an, as you say, global mega-corporation getting handed it's PR ass when it arrogantly over-reaches is undoubtedly amusing; but it seems a bit of a stretch to paint everyone who pointed and laughed as victims of an idiotic narrative or their own inner fanboy?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:47 
UltraMod

Ah, I see the backlash backlash has started.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:58 

SilentElk wrote:
Ah, I see the backlash backlash has started.

It's not really a backlash. First of all I thought that I would wait and see and then Microsoft revealed their DRM plans and I decided to get a PS4, now they've reversed that decision and I'm back to waiting and seeing.

All those people who slated the PS3 for years had at least a couple of valid points, although they were exaggerated to a quite ridiculous extent. Just as any failing of the Xbox One will be now, since Microsoft have been cast as the villain and Sony the plucky underdog. I really, really couldn't care less which console I get and I harbour just as much ill will for Sony as I do for Microsoft. I just want the one that works the best and has the best games.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:
All those people who slated the PS3 for years had at least a couple of valid points, although they were exaggerated to a quite ridiculous extent.

I dunno - when it first came out it wasn't really all that - and the pads were rubbish. Dual shock and people learning to program the damned thing helped, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:06 

Yeah, they weren't as bad as people made out, though. Just not as nice as the 360 pad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:15 
Unpossible!

Was the six-axis the original? The really light one that hurt my fingers?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:17 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
Yeah, they weren't as bad as people made out, though. Just not as nice as the 360 pad.

The online service and multiplatform games were fucking gash compared to the 360 though. By the time 2010 rolled around the PS3 was a much better proposition, but unfortunately the 360 had reached critical mass by that point.

I've been astounded since ditching my 360 for the PS3 - it is a much far superior system now. I was pretty shocked to find this out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:21 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

SilentElk wrote:
I've been astounded since ditching my 360 for the PS3 - it is a much far superior system now. I was pretty shocked to find this out.

I wonder if thats one of the reasons why Microsoft have made this change now - they are worried if people do switch over early and see that the PS3 is as good as it is (and all the benefits that PSN+ gives) that those people will convince others that the PS4 is the place to be.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:26 
Sleepyhead

SilentElk wrote:
markg wrote:

The online service and multiplatform games were fucking gash compared to the 360 though. By the time 2010 rolled around the PS3 was a much better proposition, but unfortunately the 360 had reached critical mass by that point.

I want to play on one. I like things that are much far superior.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:26 
8-Bit Champion

BBC on the 'u-turn' (I do like they point out that the message was unavailable for a while due to traffic)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22980973

Quote:
Microsoft U-turn in Xbox One games row

Microsoft has made a dramatic U-turn over its decision to impose restrictions on pre-owned titles on its new Xbox One console.

The company had said it would restrict the free trade of pre-owned games, and that an internet connection was required to play all titles.

But following gamers' anger, Microsoft said it would drop the policies.

Microsoft interactive president Don Mattrick said the company had "heard loud and clear" from its customers.

"You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc," Mr Mattrick said in a statement posted online.

"The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world."

The statement, which was for some time inaccessible due to heavy traffic, went on to backtrack fully on the controversial aspects of their DRM - digital rights management - plans:

"An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games - after a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24-hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
"Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today - there will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360."

The rules apply to games bought as physical discs only, and do not affect games downloaded via the online Xbox store.

"While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content," Mr Mattrick said.

"We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds."

However, there will be something of a trade-off for gamers.

Microsoft had planned to allow customers to "trade" downloaded games online in exchange for money off new titles. The change of stance means that gamers will no longer be able to do this - something gamers may regret in the future, one analyst suggested.

"It could be a case of 'you asked for too much, and you got what you asked for'," said Brian Blau from Gartner.

"But I think it's a good thing if Microsoft are listening to their potential customers and responding to them. The fact they have this technology means they can always bring it back at a future point in time."

Questions over the handling of pre-owned games was an unexpected talking point at last week's E3 conference - the largest games industry event in the calendar.

Sony took the opportunity during its press conference to make a direct attack on Microsoft's policy.

"PS4 will not impose any new restrictions on your use of PS4 game discs," said Jack Tretton, boss of Sony Computer Entertainment America, drawing cheers from some attendees.

For Microsoft, it means a second high-profile U-turn in short succession. Last month, it told Windows 8 users that it would be bringing back the iconic "Start" button to its operating system, having previously dropped it from its redesign.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:

Christ, they were - the original ones without the rumble were horrible.

Curiosity wrote:
I want to play on one. I like things that are much far superior.
Your mum is much far superior.

Grim... wrote:
Nah. Well, they were, but all the bad stuff carried over to the DualShock3.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:28 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
I like things that are much far superior.

That's why you're much far friends with me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Nah. Well, they were, but all the bad stuff carried over to the DualShock3.

It was the weight of them I didn't like most of all. And the rubbish six-axis stuff, but that's not that pad's fault, I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:31 
UltraMod

The DS3 still has the six-axis stuff in it, but it's used very sparingly (if at all).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:32 
ugvm'er at heart...

It's the squishy unresponsive buttons that annoy me the most (now that I have superglued proper triggers to it anyway), makes playing any platform games more of a chore than a pleasure at times.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:33 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:
It's the squishy unresponsive buttons

Isn't that because the face buttons are analogue?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

SilentElk wrote:
Trooper wrote:
It's the squishy unresponsive buttons

Isn't that because the face buttons are analogue?

It is, so are the original xbox controller buttons though, and I never had the same problem with them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:41 

Here's what I don't like about SixAxis/DS3 (quoting myself at rllmuk). The lightness didn't bother me -- I do prefer the heft of the DS3, but that's a very minor thing -- and the abuse of waggle controls in the first gen of PS3 games was a software/games design issue, not a hardware problem.

Quote:
...the shape of the prongs and the body of the controller turns your hands inward a little (so the wrists are closer together) than for the 360 pad. This naturally tends to make the thumbs sit higher, which I think leads to people believing the left stick is in "the wrong place". The two sticks are also too close together, so people who rest their first thumb joint on top of the pad (rather than the thumb tip) have problems where the projecting part of their thumbs get in the way when the move the right stick left and the left stick right. The [convex] triggers are silly and the stick deadzones and slack feel are awful. From appearances and early reports, the DS4 fixes these issues, which is welcome news.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:51 

I have never had any problems with previous PlayStation pads, and I don't have any problems with DS3, apart from the triggers which are a bit silly. Still, I play just fine with them.

I must have perfect hands.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:52 
UltraMod

The Xbox 360 pad is pretty much perfect (apart from the horrible d-pad), but I don't have much of a problem with the DS3. Once you've used it for a while you get used to it. The deadzones and the triggers are the worst thing about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:54 
ugvm'er at heart...

Superglue some extended triggers to the DS3, it makes a hell of a difference and they are cheap to buy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:58 
Excellent Member

I don't like how 'light' feeling the DS3 sticks are and much prefer the extra tension (is that the right word?) that the Xbox pad sticks have. Also, making the top of the actual sticks convex is idiocy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:01 

SilentElk wrote:
The Xbox 360 pad is pretty much perfect (apart from the horrible d-pad)

Very true, they really nailed it with that one.

The controllers for the old Xbox, however, both original and controller-s, absolutely destroy my thumb when playing racing games for some reason. Looking at them from the back suggest that they are just way too "tall", owing to the ridiculous memory card slots.

Attachment:
xbox_controller_comparison.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:17 
Ready for action

In response to people speculating about 360 user having a go on PS3 and that helping them to decide to switch to Sony next gen:
I'm really enjoying the PS3, I've completed Heavy Rain, started Uncharted 2 and am about halfway through The Last of Us. I've also played Motorstorm Apocalypse and Little Big Planet Karting for free and I've got Uncharted 3 lined up also for free. That is all great and makes me look with interest to pS4 exclusives and the continuation of PS+ for PS4, I've even beginning to eye a Vita.
However, there are a few things that are really obviously missing or poorly implemented that had me wishing Microsoft would just get it right so I could be confident I was getting what I was used to and had grown to expect and enjoy with the benefits of next gen. The friends list and they way you interact with it on PS3 is poor. The voice chat/lack of party chat is a terrible admission and means that I'll pretty much never use a mike on PS3 unless I was in a private game with friends. The trophy system is the poor relation to achievements and gamerscore.

There's also another problem for PS4 in my house, in the form of my lovely fiancée. The 360 is basically the first console she's ever had. So where we might get nostalgic for Sonic, or the first time you played 4 player Goldeneye, she loves the Xbox 360. When we first got together, she got me my 360 for Christmas. After that, I taught her how to play with games like FIFA and Need for Speed. We used to sit up for hours and play CoD3 on a tiny CRT telly, splitscreen, in games that lasted an hour. Then, when she thought I couldn't get any more geeky I joined a forum of gamers and started introducing her to them online (and in real life). So she has all these fond memories and nice feelings towards the Xbox and doesn't want to change, for what are probably entirely irrational reasons although I think a bit of it is being worried that the PS4 just won't be as good, as demonstrated by the 360 vs PS3. Computing power and graphics and frame rates won't have any effect on her decision, it will be what feels nicer.

So, I'm back to square one. I'm leaving my pre order in and hoping more info comes out but ultimately I think I'll be waiting until after release to try them both and make sure both have the features important to me. If the choice was mine and mine alone, I still don't know which one I'd choose. I don't know how much the choice of everyone else is going to affect our decision. It's not going to be completely ignored though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:19 

sdg wrote:
The friends list and they way you interact with it on PS3 is poor. The voice chat/lack of party chat is a terrible admission and means that I'll pretty much never use a mike on PS3 unless I was in a private game with friends. The trophy system is the poor relation to achievements and gamerscore.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts this will be all fixed in the PS4. It's obvious stuff. The PS4 UX video I linked to elsewhere shows most of it working.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:33 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
sdg wrote:
The friends list and they way you interact with it on PS3 is poor. The voice chat/lack of party chat is a terrible admission and means that I'll pretty much never use a mike on PS3 unless I was in a private game with friends. The trophy system is the poor relation to achievements and gamerscore.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts this will be all fixed in the PS4. It's obvious stuff. The PS4 UX video I linked to elsewhere shows most of it working.

:this:

They shoved cross-game party chat into the Vita, so I'd be utterly astounded if it's not on the PS4. I imagine they'll get the trophy system sorted too - though the only thing it really needs is a gamerscore thing really. I mean, they kind of have that already in the form of levels (I'm at lvl 12 with my trophies, for instance), but it's obviously not as good as the Xbox's gamerscore.

The PS3 was the definition of the term 'clusterfuck' when it launched, but I genuinely prefer it to the 360 now. Sony have done pretty damn well to get the PS3 from where it started to where it is now, so I do have high hopes for the PS4. It's pretty much the first time I've ever held out much hope on the launch of new Sony hardware.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:46 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
sdg wrote:

I can't tell which way round is better, are they Krispy Kreme doughnuts, or Tesco's own?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:52 
Bad Girl

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
sdg wrote:

I believe EA already did that in The Simpsons: Tapped Out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 13:02 
UltraMod

Gill: I was a massive, massive Xbox fanboy. I was one of the few people here who had an original Xbox rather than a PS2. I bought, played and completed more games on the 360 than any other console in history (or PC). I was addicted to achievements, gamerscore etc to the point where I wouldn't start new games unless I had a decent chunk of time to sink into them, as I didn't want my completion percentage to plummet.

However, starting with the latest ad-ridden dashboard update, I slowly started resenting Microsoft for the things they were doing. Having my account hacked didn't help either.

I stopped playing games at some point last year because I was fed up with it all. I'd pretty much come to the conclusion I didn't like gaming anymore. However, I slowly started buying a game or two on Steam, and I decided to get a mega cheap PS3 for a second Blu-ray player. It was only when I started using it properly I realised it was a solid machine, much better than made out when it first came out. Now it is my main gaming machine!

I don't play much multiplayer stuff these days (mainly due to time constraints), so I have to say I've not missed cross-party chat. Trophies are not that well implemented, but they were a bodge job in reaction to how good achievements were - I'd expect them to be much better on the PS4, as they are on the Vita. In fact, the Vita interface is pretty slick. I'd expect the PS4 to be the same.

It was at this point I decided to sell my 360, all 100 or so games and all my expensive plastic tat. I made about £800 but obviously that was nothing in comparison with the outlay. I'd just become fed up with the way that Microsoft had turned a brilliant games console into a media player that can play games. This was before any of the Xbox 180 details came out - that just reaffirmed it to me.

I had already decided to go PS4 next-gen, so watched from the sidelines as it unfolded. I wouldn't go back to Xbox now even if they knocked £100 off the price and made Kinect optional. This latest u-turn just makes me realise I've made the right decision.

Also, in corporate terms, 'listened to customer feedback' means 'counted the receipts'. They weren't getting the preorders they wanted - that's the only reason they've backtracked here. They've treated their customers with contempt. I'm glad I'm not one of them any more.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 13:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Worst origin story ever.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 13:15 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
Worst origin story ever.

It would be a box office smash, and you know it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 13:15 
Awesome
Yes

Mimi asked me if I was going to get an Xbone or a PS4.

I said, "no, I've got a 360."

That'll keep me entertained for years yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 13:18 
Goth

Does anyone else wince every time they see this thread subtitle? 'Formally' when it's meant to be 'Formerly' hnng.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 13:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Huh. Never noticed. Fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 13:32 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Does that mean we can all stop being polite to each other?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 13:53 
8-Bit Champion

Bobbyaro wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I can't tell which way round is better, are they Krispy Kreme doughnuts, or Tesco's own?

I thought they were meringues ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 14:20 
UltraMod

This backpedalling still hasn't resolved the issue of retailers pushing preowned over new at a fiver's discount, which is just as wrong as Microsoft's now defunct DRM system. Online Passes are dead too, what's next? There has to be a middle ground.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 14:32 
8-Bit Champion

SilentElk wrote:
This backpedalling still hasn't resolved the issue of retailers pushing preowned over new at a fiver's discount, which is just as wrong as Microsoft's now defunct DRM system.

It hasn't although if Microsoft (or Sony) want to fix that the simple answer is to have the day in date digital releases be cheaper , I think even knocking a fiver off RRP would make a big difference and then your digital stuff is just as tied up with their infrastructure as it always has been.

They can even use it to talk about their DRM even more if they want - day one COD in Game retail £50 , day one COD online edition £45 - and that £5 discount is because you dont have the physical disk to make and ship (or that you give up your re-sell rights for that extra £5 now)

Or have 'sales' after an item has been around for a while , Microsoft has slowly been getting better at that , for example right now Catherine is on sale on Xbox games on demand for £12 which is pretty much the same cost as a copy on Amazon - if they can get those things working (for either company) then the used games model that Game and everyone else has been living off will crumble (meanwhile Sony's answer is to take all those old games that no-one would buy on demand at £50 and give them to you for being a PSN+ Subscriber)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 14:42 
Hibernating Druid

SilentElk wrote:
Cras wrote:
Worst origin story ever.

I smashed your mums box in the office.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 14:46 
Goth

Cras wrote:
Huh. Never noticed. Fixed.

Ohh thank you that has been bothering me for a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 14:50 
Gogmagog

Zardoz wrote:
SilentElk wrote:
Cras wrote:
Worst origin story ever.

I smashed your mums box in the office.

The office smashed your mum's box

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 15:06 
8-Bit Champion

zaphod79 wrote:
It hasn't although if Microsoft (or Sony) want to fix that the simple answer is to have the day in date digital releases be cheaper , I think even knocking a fiver off RRP would make a big difference and then your digital stuff is just as tied up with their infrastructure as it always has been

And I just opened up reddit and at the top of the first page

http://i.imgur.com/D7QZDoD.png

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 18:32 
Worst

lasermink wrote:
I have never had any problems with previous PlayStation pads, and I don't have any problems with DS3, apart from the triggers which are a bit silly. Still, I play just fine with them.

I must have perfect hands.

Same. But then Playstation Something has been my main system since 1996.

DerekFME wrote:
Does anyone else wince every time they see this thread subtitle? 'Formally' when it's meant to be 'Formerly' hnng.

I didn't want to mention it, as the retitle was my fault in the first place. I'm glad someone did, though.

In terms of the backtrack, it's a positive step, but akin to the clairvoyant who starts telling you some bullshit, sees the look of incredulity on your face and stammers 'no, what I meant was...'

MS can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 19:22 
ugvm'er at heart...

Xbox live is down, good job we don't need it to be able to play games, eh?

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 52  Next