Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: iOS gaming thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 13:18 
Numbskull

CraigGrannell wrote:
I've reviewed all of the iCade models, bar one of the small iPhone ones. For 30 quid, I'd say the Core is an excellent investment. Aesthetically, I prefer the original iCade (with its mini-cab stylings), but the Core innards are just as good (if very slightly spongier buttons), and the device works better when you're playing landscape games (albeit with the possibility of slightly covering the screen with your hands). I got my iCade for 40 quid in PC World, but I certainly wouldn't have wanted to pay more.

In terms of other models, don't get Atari's or Taito's, since they're designed specifically for their own apps and aren't fully iCade-compatible. On handheld models, they're mostly shit. Only the SteelSeries Free is worth buying, and it's fucking expensive. The cheapest I've seen it for is 50 quid. However, if you want a handheld controller, the alternatives are the likes of the iCade 8-Bitty and Gametel, which are mediocre.

Note that in terms of games, you might also find the iCade opens up further options for you. Some arcade titles work nicely with it (such as Midway's collection and Pac-Man, although I guess if you're using a flavour of MAME, that won't be so useful). Jeff Minter's Llamasoft games are all compatible, as are Match Panic (glorious with an iCade), Vectrex, Ice Rage, Retro Racing (which comes into its own when used with an iCade), and platform games like League of Evil 2. I don't use my iCade often, and some games it's compatible with aren't any better when connected (say, AirAttack HD), but, again, for 30 quid I'd buy one.

Elsewhere on iOS, The Room is only 69p today. Buy it, play in a dark, silent room, avoid the clues and have a great few hours: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-roo ... 39496?mt=8

Always fancied an iCade, but being able to play with a Wii classic controller made it a bit redundant.

The Room is worth 69p of anyone's money (69p! golden age of gaming or what?) We'll surely look back on this time of amazing cheapness and wonder why we weren't singing hallelujah...I'm singing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 14:07 
Where are you?

Perception of value is a problem. A friend of mine said he felt oddly ripped off by The Room. He really enjoyed it, but it was three quid for a few hours’ entertainment. He realised he was being stupid in feeling that was expensive, but compared to, say, World of Goo, the experience hadn't lasted very long. Personally, I loved The Room. Given that it cost the same as a movie rental, I didn't feel short-changed at all. But for 69p, you'd have to be a fool to miss it, if you've an iPad and any interest whatsoever in exploratory adventure(ish) games.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 14:18 
Bad Girl

All of the above.

I paid a tenner for Journey on PS3 and its one of the greatest stories of last year but lasts only a few hours.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 16:09 
Numbskull

CraigGrannell wrote:
Perception of value is a problem. A friend of mine said he felt oddly ripped off by The Room. He really enjoyed it, but it was three quid for a few hours’ entertainment. He realised he was being stupid in feeling that was expensive, but compared to, say, World of Goo, the experience hadn't lasted very long. Personally, I loved The Room. Given that it cost the same as a movie rental, I didn't feel short-changed at all. But for 69p, you'd have to be a fool to miss it, if you've an iPad and any interest whatsoever in exploratory adventure(ish) games.

Exactly this - how anyone can feel short-changed by a quid or two for several hours of entertainment baffles me. I'm probably one of the older gamer gits on here, and I can't remember us having things as good as we do now.

And on that note I'll re-post my recommendation for Dream of Pixels - was still 69p last time I looked.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 16:11 
Excellent Member

When I, depressingly often, see people on Google Play giving a game they otherwise enjoyed a bad review simply because after the demo portion finished they needed to pay 69 fucking pence to play the rest of the game it makes me want to find them and hurt them. 69p! Shut up! You wanker! A few comments on a Eurogamer article implied you could see the same kind of mouth-breathing idiocy on iOS; is that true or is this an Android only phenomenon?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 17:53 
Where are you?

It's just as bad. iOS games pages are full of people whining about money, or reviewing a game that's gone free so the dev can expand their market and moaning that THEY had to PAY 69p and OH THE INJUSTICE. There are also fuckwits who seem to think they deserve free content. When Tap! first launched, Newsstand was admittedly still quite new, but we got a TON of 1/5 reviews from people bitching that, after downloading our free app, they then had to pay for the magazine! How evil of us! I mean, these people had paid for their iPad and so they "didn't understand" why they should pay again for our product. (I take it Llamasoft fans also heard about people laying into Jeff Minter for embracing the tier-two price point rather than tier-one for his games? Because, clearly, £1.19—and now £1.49—is a bit much to pay for brand-new games from a gaming legend, when you'd have paid at least a third more in 1985.)

*and breathe*

Oh, and I'd second Dream of Pixels. I gave it a 4 when I reviewed it a while back.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 18:05 
Numbskull

CraigGrannell wrote:
It's just as bad. iOS games pages are full of people whining about money, or reviewing a game that's gone free so the dev can expand their market and moaning that THEY had to PAY 69p and OH THE INJUSTICE. There are also fuckwits who seem to think they deserve free content. When Tap! first launched, Newsstand was admittedly still quite new, but we got a TON of 1/5 reviews from people bitching that, after downloading our free app, they then had to pay for the magazine! How evil of us! I mean, these people had paid for their iPad and so they "didn't understand" why they should pay again for our product. (I take it Llamasoft fans also heard about people laying into Jeff Minter for embracing the tier-two price point rather than tier-one for his games? Because, clearly, £1.19—and now £1.49—is a bit much to pay for brand-new games from a gaming legend, when you'd have paid at least a third more in 1985.)

*and breathe*

Oh, and I'd second Dream of Pixels. I gave it a 4 when I reviewed it a while back.

You underrated it, if anything, it gets more addictive the more you play.

But what is this Tap! mag you're on about? (shameless advertising bit starts here).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 18:35 
Where are you?

Under our rating system, a four is a strong recommendation. We're not part of the 73% crowd. I played the game on and off for about a week before writing the review. As for Tap!, it's an iOS magazine, available from http://tapm.ag/appedition

We started out in print (the mag was initially iPad-sized), but went digital-only at the end of last summer. The iPad mag is driven by Future's in-house system that enables the team to create the iPad mag on an iPad (well, an iPad simulator), which is pretty cool. The iPhone/iPod version is, I think, currently the same PDF that Zinio subscribers get. We're mostly a recommendation mag, reviewing games (the section I edit), apps and kit, but there are also features in every issue. (Old git gamers might also recognise one of my section's writers: Zy Nicholson.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 18:42 
Numbskull

CraigGrannell wrote:
Under our rating system, a four is a strong recommendation. We're not part of the 73% crowd. I played the game on and off for about a week before writing the review. As for Tap!, it's an iOS magazine, available from http://tapm.ag/appedition

We started out in print (the mag was initially iPad-sized), but went digital-only at the end of last summer. The iPad mag is driven by Future's in-house system that enables the team to create the iPad mag on an iPad (well, an iPad simulator), which is pretty cool. The iPhone/iPod version is, I think, currently the same PDF that Zinio subscribers get. We're mostly a recommendation mag, reviewing games (the section I edit), apps and kit, but there are also features in every issue. (Old git gamers might also recognise one of my section's writers: Zy Nicholson.)

Thanks for the clarification, it was very informative and helpful, but could you now take the trouble to have your go on Letterpress? (tricky letters btw).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:16 
ugvm'er at heart...

WTB wrote:
Tell you what's good. Book of Heroes is good. It's a "free to play" turn-based sort-of MMORPG. You fight NPCs but you're always online and you can team up to do raids and stuff. It's pretty simply done, but hella addictive. You can, of course, spend a fortune on in-game currency, but you can earn it quite easily just by playing.

Recommended!

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/book-of ... 99097?mt=8

Gosh, this is really quite wonderful. With the added bonus that it has an android and iOS client, and your character is stored online, so you can carry on no matter what device you have to hand.

I'm a L13 war mage called Stupendo :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:19 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Lvl 17 Shadow Walker here..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:02 
Chinny chin chin

CraigGrannell wrote:
It's just as bad. iOS games pages are full of people whining about money, or reviewing a game that's gone free so the dev can expand their market and moaning that THEY had to PAY 69p and OH THE INJUSTICE.

This always seems like madness to me. People have no context at all.

How many budget games did we buy when we were kids that we bought and were so bad they hardly ever got played again. My recollection is that actually the majority of budget games I bought were actual total rubbish. It's just you remember the games like Zub, 180, Colony and Super Robin Hood. You don't remember the shit like, I dunno, Molecule Man, 5 A Side Soccer, Caves Of Doom, all of which were TERRIBLE. Well I do obviously but you know what I mean.

I remember buying a game called Invasion on the strength of being on the same label as Colony. Despite reading the instructions several times neither me nor my mate could work out what the hell we were doing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amstrad-CPC-Bulldog-INVASION-1987-NEW-/330855990125?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item4d088dc36d

If a game like that came up on the app store the reviews would rip it to shreds and the programmer might revise it.

I'll forgive the Pickford's Rasterscan though. It's more of a failed experiment and I did keep on trying to play it. Also it had a funky tune as per the style at Binary Design at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:44 
Sleepyhead

I have downloaded it. First impressions are very Skinner box.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 13:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

Curiosity wrote:
I have downloaded it. First impressions are very Skinner box.

Book of Heroes?

Yes. But isn't every MMO...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 13:17 
Where are you?

chinnyhill10 wrote:
This always seems like madness to me. People have no context at all.

There's a thread on Touch Arcade where a bunch of people absolutely tear into the indie dev who, on his own, created Cubed Rally Redline. The game was 69p, but he wanted to experiment, having hardly troubled the charts. He made the game free, he added a load more content, and he bunged in a 69p IAP 'rally' mode in addition to the standard endless game, along with some ads.

At this point, people have paid 69p for a game that's now free and has ads in it. Now, this isn't the smartest move in the world on the dev's part, but it's just a guy, on his own, trying to figure out a way to make money on iOS. He quickly ensured if you paid for the 69p IAP (thereby bringing your total investment to a whopping £1.38) that the ads would be gone. He also offered on Touch Arcade to block ads for anyone who wouldn't buy the IAP via them sending their UDID to him. And still people were whinging. It was just incredible. If you like the game so much, pay another 69p and get rid of the adds AND get a brand-new mode with more content. If you don't care that much, just bloody well delete it.

Too many people have no sense of perspective at all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:47 

You aresholes realise that this "Can Knockdown Challenge" is sending push alerts to every person on your Gamecentre friends lists regardless of if they even own the game, right? It's getting annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:54 

For context: Can Knockdown appears to be a free app. Therefore because of this, everyone is receiving challenge alerts because technically everyone "owns" the game even if you've never downloaded it. I've had dozens of alerts this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

WTB wrote:
For context: Can Knockdown appears to be a free app. Therefore because of this, everyone is receiving challenge alerts because technically everyone "owns" the game even if you've never downloaded it. I've had dozens of alerts this weekend.

:this:

I can't believe gamecentre still has this issue, sort it out Apple!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:49 
Awesome
Yes

It does it so that you are tempted to download the app and play yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:51 

Mr Russell wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:54 

Mr Russell wrote:

Well, duh!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:30 
Awesome
Yes

WTB wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

Well, duh!

Trooper seems to think it's an issue rather than by design.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:36 

Well it's both. It has undoubtedly been deliberately done by the developers of this shite game, but it is exploiting an oversight on Apple's part that shouldn't exist within Gamecenter. It's sending push notifications to people that can only be disabled by turning push notifications off for Gamecenter altogether. That's not by design.

This is totally nefarious and shouldn't be allowed. These developers (to whom I have never explicitly given my permission to contact me) have a direct route through to my private, personal, always-on phone via my chums who don't know any better. IT'S FUCKING 1984 OR SUTIN!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:48 
Worst

I love Can Knockdown. I've not played it in a while, but I was hooked for ages a year or so ago.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 13:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

WTB wrote:
Well it's both. It has undoubtedly been deliberately done by the developers of this shite game, but it is exploiting an oversight on Apple's part that shouldn't exist within Gamecenter. It's sending push notifications to people that can only be disabled by turning push notifications off for Gamecenter altogether. That's not by design.

This is totally nefarious and shouldn't be allowed. These developers (to whom I have never explicitly given my permission to contact me) have a direct route through to my private, personal, always-on phone via my chums who don't know any better. IT'S FUCKING 1984 OR SUTIN!

It shouldn't be possible for an app you don't have on your device, to send you notifications.

I could write a free app that calls you a cunt every 5 minutes and you would be powerless to stop it, unless you turned off all gamecentre notifications for all apps.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 13:59 
Sleepyhead

Trooper wrote:
WTB wrote:

It shouldn't be possible for an app you don't have on your device, to send you notifications.

I could write a free app that calls you a cunt every 5 minutes and you would be powerless to stop it, unless you turned off all gamecentre notifications for all apps.

DO IT!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 14:51 
Comfortably Dumb

Trooper wrote:

A BEEX PM forwarder app then?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 15:29 
Awesome
Yes

It isn't the game that sends you the notifications. It is Gamecenter. Which is an app you have on your phone. And can control the notifications for same as all other apps.

And it doesn't do it automatically, it does it when I choose to press the Challenge All Friends button. So what you are complaining about as app-spam is as a direct result of your chums challenging you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 15:35 
Gogmagog

You're being called out, WTB. Time to Step Up To the Streets.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 15:44 

Mr Russell wrote:
It isn't the game that sends you the notifications. It is Gamecenter. Which is an app you have on your phone. And can control the notifications for same as all other apps.

And it doesn't do it automatically, it does it when I choose to press the Challenge All Friends button. So what you are complaining about as app-spam is as a direct result of your chums challenging you.

We know all of this! Stop fucking doing it!

Our point, that you seem to be missing, is that it shouldn't be able to challenge friends who don't own the game. Other games don't do this. It's exploiting your friends list.

It's like Gmail spamming everyone in your address book and asking them to use Gmail. Or something.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 16:23 

You are a grumpy ted.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 16:26 

As might you be if you were continually interrupted by fucking notifications about some shit iOS game you have no interest in playing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 16:40 
Worst

It's good.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 16:51 
Awesome
Yes

WTB wrote:
As might you be if you were continually interrupted by fucking notifications about some shit iOS game you have no interest in playing.

Turn off notifications for Gamecenter then.

Unless how will you find out about new games your chums are playing?!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 16:57 

I have turned them off now, but that removes my ability to receive notifications that I actually wish to receive. How are you not getting this? Or are you being deliberately obtuse?

I would've thought "stop fucking spamming me" a reasonable request. :shrug:

But never mind, there's a much easier solution to all of this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 17:03 
Comfortably Dumb

At least with Facebook, you can block apps you don't play from messaging you with invites. You'd think Gamecenter would have something along those lines.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 17:05 
Paws for thought

throughsilver wrote:
It's good.

It's not.

Which really doesn't surprise me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 17:17 
Awesome
Yes

WTB wrote:
I have turned them off now, but that removes my ability to receive notifications that I actually wish to receive. How are you not getting this? Or are you being deliberately obtuse?

I would've thought "stop fucking spamming me" a reasonable request. :shrug:

But never mind, there's a much easier solution to all of this.

I'm not being obtuse. You're being an arse.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 17:24 

Explain how the fuck I'm being an arse? You're spamming my phone, literally waking me up with fucking beeping notifications.

The "challenge all friends" button is you essentially sending a mass text message to everyone on your friends list, leaving them with no option but to receive it. Granted, you probably weren't aware of that when you were doing it, but you are now after I've let you know. So why do you continue to argue your corner when you're basically advocating bothering people?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 17:24 
Worst

Mr Dave wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
It's good.

It's not.

Which really doesn't surprise me.

I stand corrected!

My enjoyment was clearly an illusion ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 17:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm not sure how it can be deemed ok that a game I don't own can send me notifications, and the only way to stop it is to turn of notifications for all the games in gamecentre, stopping notifications for games that I do own and want to know when something is going on.

I'm totally with WTB on this one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 17:32 
Awesome
Yes

WTB wrote:
Explain how the fuck I'm being an arse? You're spamming my phone, literally waking me up with fucking beeping notifications.

I used a built in game function twice to challenge my friends to beat my score in an app they might enjoy.

If the notifications were fucking beeping and waking you up, I would suggest the fault lays there with your sleep patterns, inability to use to volume/silence functions on your phone, and lack of interest in setting up Gamecenter notifications to your own preferences.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 17:33 

Okay, fuck you. A genuine, heartfelt, fuck yourself.

I would've been gutted had I inadvertently bothered everyone on my friends list. I certainly wouldn't be trying to suggest that they were in the fucking wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 17:38 
Awesome
Yes

Do you know how I found out about Can Knockdown?

I got a challenge on Gamecenter. It's ace.

When I get a challenge for a game I don't own and don't want to play I ignore it. I certainly don't become apoplectic that someone has sent it, especially as I don't have my phone set to 'massively piss me off and wake me up' mode.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 17:41 

I received no fewer than 12 notifications from you, Zardoz and some other people whose real names I can't place with their forum names. They beep and vibrate. They came all the way through the night. If going to sleep between the hours of about midnight and 8:30am on Sunday requires analysis of my sleeping patterns, I'd better get myself to the fucking doctor!

They beep and vibrate because that's what Gamecenter does by default. It has never been a problem before because I normally get challenges at ordinary hours, and even then infrequently (like, once a week), from games I actually own and play, such as Super Hexagon. They're a great feature and that's why I have them turned on.

My phone wasn't on silent because my girlfriend's mum is currently in hospital and I wanted to ensure that I could fucking well hear my phone if it went off in the night. (A massive FUCK YOU for forcing me to explain that to you, you fucking arsehole. And in fact, fuck you for even suggesting that this is in some way my fault at all.)

I brought it to the attention of the forum that this was sending notifications to EVERYONE and was very annoying. You seem to think you have some fucking god-given right to spam me on behalf of some nefarious game developer.

Fuck you, fuck you and fuck you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 17:47 

Why don't you remove WTB from your gamecentre, if he gets this pissy over it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 17:48 

KovacsC wrote:

That's already taken care of.

But the reason I'm getting "this pissy" over it, is evidenced in the posts above, you fucking cretin. In case you haven't realised, I explained what was going on and then I was told that it was somehow my fault that this had happened. That's when I became annoyed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 17:50 

WTB wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

But the reason I'm getting "this pissy" over it, is evidenced in the posts above, you fucking cretin. In case you haven't realised, I explained what was going on and then I was told that it was somehow my fault that this had happened. That's when I became annoyed.

How very grown up of you!

Post subject: iOS gaming thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 17:51 
baron of techno

WTB wrote:
I would've been gutted had I inadvertently bothered everyone on my friends list.

That.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 17:51 

KovacsC wrote:
WTB wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

How very grown up of you!

Well you're either very stupid or a very clever troll.

I'm sorry that I seem to be overreacting here, but to be told that my being disturbed in my private time by, basically, spam, is my fault, well, I don't know what to say.

Reply to topic  [ 1371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 28  Next