Beex, Yo.
YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN!
The 'Yay!' thread
post about good things
Page 91 of 206 [ 10279 posts ]
Page: 1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 206
NervousPete wrote:
Hurrah for you, Lave! Glad you did post it here, and glad to hear from you again. I'm quite, quite happy for you, my only tip is to make sure that you get a friend who has experience with DJ'ing to do the wedding disco - or failing that an iPOD - and on NO ACCOUNT hire a wedding DJ.

I'm sure there's ancient precedent on the best man's a woman thing. Hit those gospels!

That's another thing we need to sort out, a dj.
We bought invites today and started checking out honeymoons though :)
Dr Lave wrote:
EDIT: Ah thanks guys, I almost didn't post it here, considering I've posted so infrequently. I wondered if non-lego making, iOS playing, non-middleagespreading people would remember me!

Phew, glad to hear other people have done/are doing something like this, TheVision worried me by saying he never heard of it before!

Either way everyones been very supporting this side of things. My girlfriend tried to convince me it was a good idea when I floated it, and my Mum predicted it before I even said anything to her.

My Best Man's name is gender ambiguous though, so we may leave it till the day for my dad. Path of least resistance an all...

Any tips marragey peeps?

Let me know if you want any hand made wedding stationary!! http://www.facebook.com/WhatTheKatDraggedIn
Dr Lave wrote:
Any tips marragey peeps?

Watch the November Rain video. Then everything else seems reasonable. Agree to everything. Write cheques. Turn up.

EDIT: My friend was going to have a lady as his "best woman" but that didn't happen in the end, and I dont think anyone batted an eyelid over it when it was mentioned.
Dr Lave wrote:
TheVision worried me by saying he never heard of it before!

It's true I haven't heard of it before, but I think it's a fantastic idea. Why not?

As for marriage tips, go with what Malia said. Agree to everything that your future wife wants on the day. She'll clearly have a better idea of what works and what doesn't so trust her.
On the day itself, don't be concerned with 'is this all going okay?' - just have the time of your life.

(admittedly, this is normally advice for the bride, as they often worry more about that kind of shit)
Gratz!
I finally did it after 18 years, and by that time it was more 'yeah, whatever' from her :P Mind you, our 'engagement' was pretty much me phoning her up at work and saying 'What you doing in 2 months time? Fancy getting married?'
And she signed the registrars book before I got around to buying an engagement ring so by my reckoning it's too late now and she can't have one :P

Anyway, my tips include:
Get it sorted ASAP, sod anyone else, it's your day and they can make arrangements around that.
Don't forget to have a veggie option with the food just in case.

And my top tip:
Phone up any nearby random awesome places for the reception - you never know. I tried Cardiff castle on a whim & they had space free for very good price (a third of what the hotels quoted me), so we had a suite of rooms in the castle, got to drive through the grounds, and had a private tour including the bits the public don't see normally, it was awesome (and less than 2k including full catering for 25 people) Mega missus points if you get to ask her if she wants the reception in a castle ;)
NervousPete wrote:
my only tip is to make sure that you get a friend who has experience with DJ'ing to do the wedding disco - or failing that an iPOD - and on NO ACCOUNT hire a wedding DJ.

Fool.
Some of them have just terrible taste in music or are just so out of touch that they play the same old shite that might have created the right atmosphere twenty years ago. I've seen some really, really bad wedding/party DJs. There's definitely good and bad ones.
Congrats Lave! :D

Mr Dom wrote:
Gratz!
I finally did it after 18 years, and by that time it was more 'yeah, whatever' from her :P Mind you, our 'engagement' was pretty much me phoning her up at work and saying 'What you doing in 2 months time? Fancy getting married?'

Your lucky she said yes hippy

Mr Dom wrote:
And she signed the registrars book before I got around to buying an engagement ring so by my reckoning it's too late now and she can't have one :P

:facepalm:

Mr Dom wrote:
And my top tip:
Phone up any nearby random awesome places for the reception - you never know. I tried Cardiff castle on a whim & they had space free for very good price (a third of what the hotels quoted me), so we had a suite of rooms in the castle, got to drive through the grounds, and had a private tour including the bits the public don't see normally, it was awesome (and less than 2k including full catering for 25 people) Mega missus points if you get to ask her if she wants the reception in a castle ;)

Castle was excellent :) and food was nice, just a shame you didn't have a hair cut....
TheVision wrote:
Agree to everything that your future wife wants on the day. She'll clearly have a better idea of what works and what doesn't so trust her.

You haven't met MrsA, have you?
markg wrote:
Some of them have just terrible taste in music or are just so out of touch that they play the same old shite that might have created the right atmosphere twenty years ago. I've seen some really, really bad wedding/party DJs. There's definitely good and bad ones.

I very much agree. There are good and bad burgers but you better believe I'm not going to stop eating them ;)
Dr Lave wrote:
Any tips marragey peeps?

Pretend to listen and be on good behaviour so you still get the odd night/day out with mates. Loft conversions are your friend.

Congratulations!
Grim... wrote:
markg wrote:

I very much agree. There are good and bad burgers but you better believe I'm not going to stop eating them ;)

:metul:
Congratulations Lave!
Malc74 wrote:
The company I interviewed at before Christmas just called me back. They want to meet next week with a view to making an offer.
Tentative yay then, depending on the package they offer me.
Best of all, it's not retail!

Job get! I start on Monday. They offered me exactly what I was asking for as well, which is nice.

Still, I was kind of enjoying being a gentleman of leisure. But money!
Malc74 wrote:
Malc74 wrote:
The company I interviewed at before Christmas just called me back. They want to meet next week with a view to making an offer.

Job get! I start on Monday. They offered me exactly what I was asking for as well, which is nice.

Well done Malc - if it's not retail, what is it, if it's not rude to ask?
MrC wrote:
Malc74 wrote:
Malc74 wrote:

Well done Malc - if it's not retail, what is it, if it's not rude to ask?

It's with an electrical supplies company, as their warehouse manager. Combines my management and warehousing experience in one job, which is pretty nice. I apparently also get to learn to drive a forklift, which will definitely end well.
I'm sure Dimrill will be delighted to know that I may very well be handbombing product onto the loading plate again soon.
Awesome Malc. Chuffed for you.

Do you get to hand bomb product onto palettes, or just get others to hand bomb product onto palettes?

EDIT: Just read that last line now :DD
Good work, buddy.
Nice one Malc!!
Good work, Malc!
yay!
Well done. :)
Congtrats all....
I've been asked if I fancy running some workshops and classes and making a few special guest appearances at a new LYS opening this year, which could be fun.
Yay! Where do I sign up? :)
If it pans out we'll organise for you to come along to one for lols :)
Mimi wrote:
If it pans out we'll organise for you to come along to one for lols :)

Yay! :D
LYS? Is that a new club, like G.A.Y.?
We can't talk about it. :ninja:
Ah! Love Your Self... It's one of those groups...
Hehe, sorry. Local Yarn Store.
My girlfriend proposed in Central Park yesterday. I've been upgraded to fiancée! :) :) :) :luv:
Hurrah! Congrats guys!
sdg wrote:
My girlfriend proposed in Central Park yesterday. I've been upgraded to fiancée! :) :) :) :luv:

Congrats !
Congrats!
Congratulations :)
Woot! Excellent yay!
And what a great job of that you're doing.
?
Awesome news! Congratulations! :D
Bravo!

Much congrats from the wife and I!
hurrah
About time Yay! Nice one! Conrats to you both.
Congratulations to both of you! I wish you happiness together Goethe rest of your lives. And that's a beautiful ring!
Congrats! And yes, great... job you're... doing.
I'm still puzzled as to what the fudge Grim is on about.
Nice one Gilly and Jen. You must be made up.
Congrats....
Congratulations!
Page 91 of 206 [ 10279 posts ]
Page: 1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 206

Active Topics