Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 3
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 19:42 
Rude Belittler

There's Tapirs due south of the village. Not very far away at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 19:46 
Hello Hello Hello

They weren't on the bloody map.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 20:07 
Rude Belittler

To be honest, you clearly have a 32 slot back pack. I'd go for boar skin for more ammo, you already know where they live, and I think there's pigs on the farm nearby for the wallet. Once you have the wallet and the ammo pouch, you shouldn't need the bigger backpack for a bit. Then look for goats for the weapon slot. Resist the urge to carry too many leaves about. Just keep a few greenies to refill your health syringes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 22:30 
Hello Hello Hello

Pundabaya wrote:
To be honest, you clearly have a 32 slot back pack. I'd go for boar skin for more ammo, you already know where they live, and I think there's pigs on the farm nearby for the wallet. Once you have the wallet and the ammo pouch, you shouldn't need the bigger backpack for a bit. Then look for goats for the weapon slot. Resist the urge to carry too many leaves about. Just keep a few greenies to refill your health syringes.

I appreciate the advice Pundy but it's all a bit too much like the micromanagement of WoW, which I have left behind once and for all, partly because I can't be fucking arsed with it but mostly because I literally do not have the spare time any more for games that make me do this kind of shit.

Even fucking WoW sells you all the basics that you need from the NPC vendors, you only have to start crafting/buying stuff if you want higher quality items as a choice.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 0:50 
Paws for thought

How dare a game ask you to be competent.

Of courae, the 30 minutes.wasmt wasted in that youv learned more aboit how to approch the game and also (presumably) had fun playing it.

if not 2, then why the heck were you playing it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:49 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Why doesn't the game sell you backpacks if it also sells you Uzis? Does everyone on the island make their own backpacks from scratch?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:00 

Yeah that is pretty bizarre especially in a videogame, where things are usually so logically consistent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 18:34 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Dave wrote:
How dare a game ask you to be competent.

Of courae, the 30 minutes.wasmt wasted in that youv learned more aboit how to approch the game and also (presumably) had fun playing it.

if not 2, then why the heck were you playing it.

Well indeed, it wasn't fun, which is why I probably won't play it again, at least until it gets patched.

I don't particularly mind having to go out and do a bit of skinning and crafting, but I do mind having the game constantly harangue me to GET ON WITH THE STORY MISSION which I didn't even voluntarily fucking trigger anyway.

Add in the doltish semi-save system, very clunky interface, annoying random encounters and the fact that NO ONE ON THIS ISLAND HAS A BAG TO SELL ME and it did indeed just piss me off.

Hence I bought the Mechromancer pack for Borderlands 2 and I'll just level an alt in that instead.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 19:24 
Rude Belittler

For someone who complains so much about games being too dumbed down...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 19:46 
Bad Girl

Skinning a goat for a bigger back pack sounds dumb, though.

Or maybe it isn't. But it sounds like it is. Or maybe it doesn't. But it sounds like it sound be. Or maybe it doesn't. I'm torn.

Or maybe I'm not.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 19:47 

I found the inventory management to be a far bigger drag in Borderlands 2. Nothing to get too worked up about but FC3 seems easy by comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 19:52 
Hello Hello Hello

Pundabaya wrote:
For someone who complains so much about games being too dumbed down...

I don't mind dumb!

What I do mind about FC3 is it's just a bit all over the place about what it wants to be, and ends up annoying with too many of its disparate elements.

It's an open world game - yet it constantly fucking nags you about what to do.

It's a 'make your own approach up' game - but it auto-fails a mission if you decide you want to go about something in a way it doesn't agree with.

It's an FPS game - but it has a hateful system of controlling guns and gun slots and ammo.

It's a 'gather and craft' game - but constant random shit gets in the way and the interface for it all is awful.

I just can't help comparing it to Borderlands 2, which I'm also playing at the moment and having an absolute fucking blast with, whereas FC3 somehow simply manages to annoy me.

Plus the world of FC3 doesn't seem particularly interesting, either.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:31 
Rude Belittler

Story done. Bloody brilliant, that was.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:09 
Honey Boo Boo

markg wrote:
I found the inventory management to be a far bigger drag in Borderlands 2. Nothing to get too worked up about but FC3 seems easy by comparison.

Far, far too difficult to do everything, isn't it?

Pundabaya wrote:
Story done. Bloody brilliant, that was.

Yes.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I don't think the real human 3D female actress they got to portray Lilith once Jack captures her looked right... she looked far too skanky. I'm also not entirely convinced that Jack was completely evil.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:39 
Hello Hello Hello

markg wrote:

Well I can't really comment on that 'cause I'm using K+M for BL2 (and FC3) and of course just about everything has a shortcut key.

FC3 is basically a console interface ported badly to the PC (the Rock Paper Shotgun 'stuff I loathe' list picked up on this), whereas with BL2, Gearbox have actually exploited the K+M interface.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12 ... far-cry-3/

As for the game itself I suppose some times it's just personal taste, I put several hours into FC3 and it just didn't 'get me' at all, whereas BL2 had me laughing and having fun right from the off and still hasn't stopped.

Quote:
Menus

This is another example of a failure to have real humans play the game ahead of release. Because absolutely anyone who’s sat down with the game for more than an hour will say, “Why the billowing hellballs isn’t there a shortcut key for crafting?” Even the console porting isn’t a justification for this – not least because everything else about the port is so close to perfect – because on a controller you’d still want a button dedicated just to bringing up this screen.

Even when you’ve the menus up, they’re a bemusing confusion. Huge and muddled, navigating them desperately needs a scroll wheel, but astonishingly this only works on some of them. Completely at random, it just doesn’t do anything on the menus you use most frequently, while happily scrolls down a list of the pointless statuettes you’ve picked up. Nothing works as you might expect. Selecting the main button for the section you’re in doesn’t go back to the top – instead it just does nothing. You have to click the tiny “back” button on the bottom right of the screen. Selling non-junk items in shop menus requires laboriously clicking on each over and over, rather than group-selecting a bunch. There’s no mouse rationale at all, throughout, and no internal consistency. It’s ridiculous, and it’s a real stumbling block in enjoyment of a game you’re going to be spending dozens of hours playing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Never heard of the site, but you can get Far Cry 1, 2 and 3 for PC for £4.94 8)

http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W2385

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:26 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Lewie posted that this morning on Twitter and I saw someone follow it up with a problem that they didn't receive FarCry 3 as part of the package?

I'm not sure of the details and indeed, if they're in the UK but tread carefully people.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:49 

Did a really fun outpost assault last night. It was down on a beach with a tallish cliff just behind it.

Did my recon and found three normal guys, one charger, three (!) snipers all covering each other, and a bear in a cage.

Snuck in one end of the camp and stabbed a normal guy next to the alarm panel. Disabled the alarm, then noticed the charger patrolling near me. Rushed him and stabbed him, then legged it before the snipers spotted me. Just about got away with it but they spotted the body shortly afterward.

Ran a long way away from the camp down the beach looking for a way up the cliff. Eventually found it, but ran into a jeep patrol on the way. Killed them, but another two jeeps turned up. Played some hide-and-seek and eventually took them all down, finishing with a grenade launcher shot that blew up two jeeps parked next to each other and took down the two guys. Ran back up the clifftop to the outpost, which hadn't regenerated the badmen I'd killed yet.

Saw one of the badmen patrolling near an explosive barrel near the bear cage. Shot the barrel with an arrow, which only stunned the guy but also fortunately let the bear out. The bear looked annoyed and decided to demonstrate this annoyance by introducing the pirate's face to the non-delicious meaning of the words "bear claw". That left the three snipers, who were darting around trying to shoot the charging bear with their clumsy rifles.

The bear starts legging it around the camp. Still with my bow, I take down a rooftop sniper from 80m or so away (felt like a hero for pulling that off against a moving target), by which time the bear has polished off the last two snipers. Boom, outpost won, 1500 XP for being undetected... and the Rakyat turned up and killed the bear for me. $30 for the bear skin. A total of two arrows fired. Result!

The magic of this game is how fluid it is. You feel like a badass when you pull off stuff like this, but when stuff goes wrong and you have to think on your feet you still have the tools to pull that off too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:59 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Grim... wrote:
Never heard of the site, but you can get Far Cry 1, 2 and 3 for PC for £4.94 8)

http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W2385

I've used Impulse before for GalCiv 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire. I've not used GameStop since they bought impulse...

Also: PRODUCT TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Aye - there's been some discussion in the Bargains thread. The Doc bagged a copy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:39 
SavyGamer

I managed to snaffle it. Downloading now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 18:25 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

LewieP wrote:
I managed to snaffle it. Downloading now.

You shouldn't sample your own goods.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 18:37 
Honey Boo Boo

Mindless killing!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 19:25 
Rude Belittler

I've had a couple where tigers have randomly wandered into camps and slaughtered everyone. That was pretty cool to watch.

Heavies seem especially vulnerable to animals, I guess because they're so slow and animal attacks bypass armour.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 19:26 
Rude Belittler

Oh, and Michael Mando looks exactly like Vaas in real life.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 13:12 
Bad Girl

Far Cry 3 Get.

Here's a few initial thoughts:

It wants to log onto something. It can't so it's frozen for three minutes whilst it retrys. It eventually gives up whilst I've turned over the channel such was the delay.
It looks like Dead Island.
Very good opening sequence. Very. The insane bad guy's chatter, demeanour, voice, look, everything seemed absolutely spot on.
After the escape, I'm somewhere else with a guy who's much less likeable. He tells me a load of old twaddle, and walks very slowly. Slower than my slow walk. This irritates me immensely since I'm not interested in the guff he's spouting.
I run up a tower and it looks ace but the 360 is creaking. Even spaggo me, notices a bit of blurring and that the frame rate or something, lord knows what, makes it a bit spongy to move around in. It's ok though and I get used to it.
It also looks like Dead Island. A lot.
I open containers. I loot leaves. I fill up my backpack way too quick and I've got to dump stuff.
It disgusts me when I've got to murder some innocent piggies. Seemingly for no fucking reason.
The UI annoys me for being a bit fiddly and slow.
I get into a shoot out and hide in a tin shack. The thin corrugated steel is impenetrable.
I blaze up some guards who die with a couple of hits. I like this as it reminds me of Hardcore on CoD.
I get in a car and drive about. Like Dead Island.

I get tired and turn it off after it can't sustain the natty opener and I can't be arsed to learn its new ways of making objects from murdering poor innocent animals.

I'll try again later but Dishonoured appears to be better fun so I might start that first.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 14:28 
Hello Hello Hello

I haven't felt any inclination to return to this game after I binned it off a week or two ago.

There was an interesting article at Eurogamer about people not 'getting' the writing that struck a chord with me, 'cause I was having a hard time getting along with the central protagonist.

The writer says it's our fault for not understanding his genius.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... f-the-game

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 16:51 
Honey Boo Boo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 0:35 
Hello Hello Hello

metalangel wrote:

Is this is meme or something? Why do you keep posting jpegs of the characters in this game?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 0:38 
Rude Belittler

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
markg wrote:

Well I can't really comment on that 'cause I'm using K+M for BL2 (and FC3) and of course just about everything has a shortcut key.

FC3 is basically a console interface ported badly to the PC (the Rock Paper Shotgun 'stuff I loathe' list picked up on this), whereas with BL2, Gearbox have actually exploited the K+M interface.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12 ... far-cry-3/

As for the game itself I suppose some times it's just personal taste, I put several hours into FC3 and it just didn't 'get me' at all, whereas BL2 had me laughing and having fun right from the off and still hasn't stopped.

Quote:
Menus

This is another example of a failure to have real humans play the game ahead of release. Because absolutely anyone who’s sat down with the game for more than an hour will say, “Why the billowing hellballs isn’t there a shortcut key for crafting?” Even the console porting isn’t a justification for this – not least because everything else about the port is so close to perfect – because on a controller you’d still want a button dedicated just to bringing up this screen.

Even when you’ve the menus up, they’re a bemusing confusion. Huge and muddled, navigating them desperately needs a scroll wheel, but astonishingly this only works on some of them. Completely at random, it just doesn’t do anything on the menus you use most frequently, while happily scrolls down a list of the pointless statuettes you’ve picked up. Nothing works as you might expect. Selecting the main button for the section you’re in doesn’t go back to the top – instead it just does nothing. You have to click the tiny “back” button on the bottom right of the screen. Selling non-junk items in shop menus requires laboriously clicking on each over and over, rather than group-selecting a bunch. There’s no mouse rationale at all, throughout, and no internal consistency. It’s ridiculous, and it’s a real stumbling block in enjoyment of a game you’re going to be spending dozens of hours playing.

And then they go and make it Game of the Year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 0:44 
Hello Hello Hello

Pundabaya wrote:
And then they go and make it Game of the Year.

As I understand it all the RPS staff sort of vote in a democratic fashion. If you read here it's clear that 'Alec' doesn't like it that much and doesn't think it should be game of the year.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12 ... ar-day-24/

I haven't played the bastard thing for two weeks and it'll be the first thing to get uninstalled off my SSD when I need space for a new game. (It's only still on there at all 'cause it cost me fucking thirty quid.)

Borderlands 2 on the other hand, continues to delight me on a daily basis.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 0:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lulz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:48 
Gogmagog

I have this now but not played it.Old Man Afterthought also has it and seems to like it. It certainly is very pretty.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:24 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:
I have this now but not played it.Old Man Afterthought also has it and seems to like it. It certainly is very pretty.

It's overrated rubbish.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:47 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You didn't like it, but it appears that the majority of the people in this thread did. Calling it overrated rubbish on the basis of that seems a little silly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 13:01 
Worst

Cras Kringle wrote:
You didn't like it, but it appears that the majority of the people in this thread did. Calling it overrated rubbish on the basis of that seems a little silly.

Especially when it seems to be someone looking forward to playing with a Christmas present.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 13:06 
Bad Girl

He's entitled to his opinion. I'm not overly enjoying it (especially the collecting stuff. Hnnngh.) but then again I haven't played it much at the minute. Dishonoured is more immediate fun at the very least.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 13:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Cras Kringle wrote:

It's my opinion, therefore the only 'basis' I need for it is what's in my head.

I bought the game, I played the game, I gave it a fair crack of the whip and in the end it just pissed me off - the 10/10 review at Eurogamer absolutely perplexes me (and was in no way connected with the Far Cry 3 branding that the entire site had for a few days, I'm sure).

Everyone would be far happier if they played Borderlands 2 instead.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 13:09 
Worst

Saturnalian wrote:
He's entitled to his opinion.

Of course, but a little self control maybe?

'Looking forward to playing this. Looks nice'
'It's shit'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 13:09 
Hello Hello Hello

throughsilver wrote:
Cras Kringle wrote:

Especially when it seems to be someone looking forward to playing with a Christmas present.

I'm sure MaliA is all grown up enough not to have his Christmas present spoiled by a PC spod's opinion on the internet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 13:11 
Worst

throughsilver wrote:
Cras Kringle wrote:

I'm sure MaliA is all grown up enough not to have his Christmas present spoiled by a PC spod's opinion on the internet.

It's not his level of maturity that concerns me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 13:16 
Bad Girl

throughsilver wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

'It's shit'

Hmmm, sorry, but I'm not sure I agree I'm afraid. He's entitled to rant all he likes regardless of whether someone has it as a present. Besides it's only one dissenting opinion after all, in a sea of praise, so keep your hopes up that it'll be ace.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 13:26 
Hello Hello Hello

throughsilver wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
Cras Kringle wrote:

It's not his level of maturity that concerns me.

I posted my issues with this game in some detail a few pages back, so it's not like me saying 'it's shit' is coming out of nowhere.

I played the game for several hours, and reported back here as my initial favourable impressions turned increasingly sour as I made progress through the missions, including this post where I finally lost patience with it and explained exactly why this was the case - viewtopic.php?p=728189#p728189

It's a poor game in my opinion and I'm sure me having expressed that opinion here won't make one flying monkey bollocks worth of difference to MailiA's enjoyment of it or otherwise.

EDIT - As I explained in the post linked above, a problem I have with the game is the time it makes you waste which is far too WoW-esque for my tastes these days and is exactly what I was wanting to get away from, as my games time is far more limited than it used to be.

Others may not have that problem.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 13:27 
EvilTrousers

Saturnalian wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

'It's shit'

Hmmm, sorry, but I'm not sure I agree I'm afraid. He's entitled to rant all he likes regardless of whether someone has it as a present. Besides it's only one dissenting opinion after all, in a sea of praise, so keep your hopes up that it'll be ace.

And I quite like some modification to the 10/10 view as if I go into it expecting it to provide me with the moon on a stick then I can only be let down. Now I know I have to spend a proportion of my time arseing about making a handbag out of hamsters I can go in with realistic expectations.

Plus it means I will wait for <£18 levels of cheap now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 14:48 
Sleepyhead

I cracked today at the 23 quid price point.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 15:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
I cracked today at the 23 quid price point.

It's the best game ever and don't let anyone tell you any different, please avoid any posts in this thread by a fuckface called 'AtrocityExhibition' as his opinions may cause you great upset and curtail your enjoyment of what is an absolutely stellar game.

A solid 10/10 at Eurogamer and well deserved in every regard!

Also, 'Saturnalian' went a bit off-message too, so you might like to add him to your foe list.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 15:21 
Bad Girl

Chill out, dude.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 15:28 
Sleepyhead

Sounds awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:12 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Sounds awesome!

It redefines the entire gaming landscape.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 19:31 
Rude Belittler

It has its issues, but so does any game. It's worth it for the Skrillex/Damien Marley mission.

Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next