THE BETEO COOKBOOK
Lush Spanish Omelette first!
I now recall having some if that on Saturday. Amongst many other things including jaegerbombs, sam Adams, punk ipa, shots of Jameson, a thing with disaronno, another of those with spiced rum and Tabasco (disgusting) and my crowning achievement: fixing a disgusting toffee apple cider by whacking a shot of morgans spiced rum in the top.

Not as messy as the Friday night unbelievably, because we ate at atomic pizza first instead of nit eating at all.

They've fixed the stupid hot sauce so it tastes nice, now called atomic xxx fallout, which I had smothered on my bucket of wings starter. I ate all but the three I shared round - which three came close to ruining half a dozen people. The 'johnny cash' burger (jalepenos and lesser hot sauce) and Sci fries (fries with flaked chilli rub) didn't taste hot at all afterwards. It's ludicrous.

But to cooking! I got a pork shoulder joint out of the freezer last night, and am on holiday today, in order to expand our pulled pork stockpile.

thanks to Diners, Drive Ins and Dives ( on after man v food nation on Food Network) i now need to build a smoker next to the wood fired oven and BBQ pit when we move to the country and have land (this house is on the market).
Just realised I've put a tablespoon of English mustard in the pulled pork, rather than a tablespoon of American yellow mustard. Oops. Could be a taste sensation.
Nah, English mustard is what I meant.
Oh that's ok then.

Also, I forgot to put sugar in. Errr. Bollocks.
Ange wrote:
I'm making this tomorrow, but without the rolls (or "cobs" as correct people call them. Am thinking of serving the pork with salad (yeah I know, sorry) and maybe some rice? That sounds wrong. What other carbohydrates could be served with it?

Spicy rice is normally what I go with. Then throw the leftover rice in with the leftover pork and bung it all in the fridge to make pulled pork wraps with the following day. I bet cheesy mash would be awesome with it, too.
Ange wrote:
Oh that's ok then.

Don't worry. It's incredibly flexible. As long as you remembered the pork, I reckon you'll be OK.
Or diced potatoes, parboiled, lightly crushed, spicy, herbed and oiled then roasted crisp.
Ange wrote:
Oh that's ok then.

Sorted!
The Last Salmon Man wrote:
Ange wrote:
Oh that's ok then.

Sorted!

My hero :luv: You can take the credit when it tastes nice then ;)
Rodafowa wrote:
Ange wrote:
I'm making this tomorrow, but without the rolls (or "cobs" as correct people call them. Am thinking of serving the pork with salad (yeah I know, sorry) and maybe some rice? That sounds wrong. What other carbohydrates could be served with it?

Spicy rice is normally what I go with. Then throw the leftover rice in with the leftover pork and bung it all in the fridge to make pulled pork wraps with the following day. I bet cheesy mash would be awesome with it, too.

Ooh spicy rice sounds just up my street. Will look for a recipe. Thanks :)
Welcome! I'd be interested if you can find a good recipe, but if you're really stuck here's the one I've settled on for the time being:

Debatably Cajun Rice

1 large onion, chopped
1 large red pepper, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, grated or chopped or crushed or whatever
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper
260g rice
As much liquid as your rice needs to cook, probably around a litre, made up half of water and half of chicken stock

1. Fry the onion for a couple of minutes, then chuck in the pepper and garlic and fry for another three minutes or so until the onion is tender but still opaque.

2. Chuck in the stock, water and seasonings. Bring to a rolling boil and stir in the rice. Cover and cook as per the instructions for your rice.

3. Cover and remove from the heat. Let it stand for 5 minutes then fluff with a fork.

4. Profit.
My cajun rice is pretty similar. I'd use green pepper, rather than red (I don't want the sweetness), and I'd use celery. And for 150 g of rice, I use these spices:

1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp paprika
My spicy rice is different again. Put bag of Uncle Ben's Express Spicy Mexican Rice into the microwave. Wait two minutes. Eat.
Mine is whichever Ange decides to cook tonight.
Pork's been on for 3 hours. I used half a bag of Sainsburys cajun spice mix, half a bag of Seasoned Pioneers Zanzibar Curry mix, and more of everything except the wine and stock for the sauce, plus a teensy bit of my stupid tabasco/naga sauce. Combination home-made chicken and turkey stocks, too. Should be good.

Shame it won't actually be ready for tea time really.

Used the Japanese meat knife for the first time. By crikey it's sharp, like butter the meat and fat was. Also my fingertip, luckily at a very shallow angle so no blood.
New knives are the best. Nothing beats that first slice.
I'll need a whetstone. Or to get people who go to Kyoto to take them back to the shop for me.
Grim... wrote:
My spicy rice is different again. Put bag of Uncle Ben's Express Spicy Mexican Rice into the microwave. Wait two minutes. Eat.
If you also turned the microwave on, you could even have it hot!
nickachu wrote:
New knives are the best. Nothing beats that first slice.

He said, shortly before the killing spree...
Hey, I've only bought 6 knives since February!
nickachu wrote:
Hey, I've only bought 6 knives since February!

nickachu and chum. Yesterday.
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348518630.492000.jpg
I did it! I served it with vaguely spiced rice (unfortunately I didn't read all the interesting ruce recipes on here until just now). itt was lush dinner though.

There's loads left over so I'll serve the rest tomorrow, maybe with some wedges. Yum :)
How the cock is that photo upside down??
I hope you ate it quickly!
Gluing it to the plate and attaching it to the ceiling was uncalled for. I'll make my own dinner tomorrow.
The Last Salmon Man wrote:
Gluing it to the plate and attaching it to the ceiling was uncalled for. I'll make my own dinner tomorrow.

http://www.fillmybelly.com
Here's the cake if made for my friend's birthday party tomorrow. It's my first attempt at doing a two tier cake and I'm quite proud with how it's turned out :)
Grim... wrote:
I drank this tonight. It was really nice! It tasted like Southern Comfort.

And it's served in a jam jar!

I wil be sure to pass on your compliments, it was created by a lovely lady called Christy. She no longer works for Diageo but we are still in touch with her, in fact MrsSG went to her Wedding party in Greece two weeks ago. Very nice drink isn't it :D
Ange that's brilliant!
That is a properly superb cake Ange.
Excellent job on that cake, Ange.

Looks good enough to eat.
That's an awesome cake.
Speaking of cakes, here's what my sister made for her son's birthday.

Attachment:
image.jpg

Top tier was chocolate cake with peanut butter; bottom tier was banana cake with butterscotch. Yes, she got all the baking skills in our family!
Consider my moment shattered.

(Awesome cake, wish I could do stuff that good!)
Awesome cakeage, people. It's good you are getting the work in before the 8th.
Ange wrote:
Consider my moment shattered.

(Awesome cake, wish I could do stuff that good!)

You've done loads of stuff that's as complicated as that, silly.
Sorry Ange, I didn't mean to poop on your moment! I'm in awe of all these cakes. I don't do baking.
But you all watch The Great British Bake Off though right? The best show on TV.
Trooper wrote:

AKA Shit Masterchef
Trooper wrote:

Oh, fuck off. It's terrible. A bunch of thickos trying to cook puddings whilst the Crufts judges try to make pudding cooking sound like a rare skilled artform.
Hush you, it's brilliant.
Oh, MaliA! You're so so wrong!
Had a quite nice courgette thing today.

Lightly scrape the skin off some courgettes, cut them in strips (quarters)
Fry some oil and put in quite a bit of garlic. Let oil get really hot. Chuck in courgettes. Fry till nearly done, a little bit of a crunch still in them.
Chuck on feta cheese, lemon juice, salt pepper and serve with a nice bread. Really nice.
I'm about to take The Cake on the tram. I bet some knob head bumps into me, even though I've left early so it won't be so busy.
WTB wrote:
Oh, MaliA! You're so so wrong!

Unlikely.
I disagree with Malia to the extent of the weaknesses of GBBO, as I find it watchable. I really Struggle to understand the level of obsession and twitter weeping for ejected contestants though.

Plus the young MILF is gold standard.
I know we're not talking about it yet because it's still September, but I'm intending to pull duck (with blackberries, lawks a lummy!) for a Christmas side.
Interesting. Have you tried pulling poultry before? I'm not really convinced it has the right properties to work terribly well. I mean, confit duck is a similar process, but it works by basically slow cooking it in lard - without the fat, I'd suggest the bird would dry out like a bitch.
I'm thinking that duck is fatty enough to take it. Especially if I special order a lazy fucker.
Page 54 of 61 [ 3036 posts ]