Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Apple WWDC 2011
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:50 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
That's like Microsoft releasing a new version of Word that won't open documents from any previous version.
Is it? I load old Word docs a lot. How often do you go back to old projects that you've already finished and submitted to your client?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Does it have a conversion tool?

Visual Studio, for example, won't open projects created in older versions, but it has a tool you can run that will attempt to update the project to the new version.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:26 
Sitting balls-back folder

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
That's like Microsoft releasing a new version of Word that won't open documents from any previous version.
Is it? I load old Word docs a lot. How often do you go back to old projects that you've already finished and submitted to your client?
He means "That would be like..."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

All Chinny does when he makes a new film is copy and paste bits of old video into different orders.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 22:08 
Chinny chin chin

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

All the time. Someone in the video has died, left under a cloud. Or a telephone number changes or something needs to be rehashed. You may also need to open an old project to borrow elements for a new edit because the client liked part of it. Alterations are a big thing

If you couldn't open or edit any Word documents before the latest version, wouldn't it suddenly be inconvenient?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 22:14 

I really think you've got crossed wires between you there. I think you both mean 'dropping backward compatibility is the work of retards' - yes or no?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 22:15 
Chinny chin chin

Craster wrote:

Visual Studio, for example, won't open projects created in older versions, but it has a tool you can run that will attempt to update the project to the new version.

No. And there's a load of other stuff missing as well including the ability to use an external broadcast monitor, certain XML trickery and the ability to export to certain types of tape (which is still and will remain a major delivery format to broadcasters for the foreseeable future).

The suggestion is that it's been rushed out and things may get fixed with time. Might depend on if Apple are listening or not but given all the money they spent on special editor events this all seems rather muddled.

They do have form though. I forget which version but about 8 years ago they knocked out a new release that had a load of stuff missing. 6 months later they quietly jumped up a version number and everything was fixed.

People are miffed as they use this to earn their living. If Adobe can manage the transition to 64 bit without breaking everything in sight and leaving stuff out then for Apple it should be a doddle.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 22:19 

Damn. chinny wrote a big post between me posting and editing. chin, doc - go back and read my edit. also: i'm drunk.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:58 
ugvm'er at heart...

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Craster wrote:

No. And there's a load of other stuff missing as well including the ability to use an external broadcast monitor, certain XML trickery and the ability to export to certain types of tape (which is still and will remain a major delivery format to broadcasters for the foreseeable future).

The suggestion is that it's been rushed out and things may get fixed with time. Might depend on if Apple are listening or not but given all the money they spent on special editor events this all seems rather muddled.

They do have form though. I forget which version but about 8 years ago they knocked out a new release that had a load of stuff missing. 6 months later they quietly jumped up a version number and everything was fixed.

People are miffed as they use this to earn their living. If Adobe can manage the transition to 64 bit without breaking everything in sight and leaving stuff out then for Apple it should be a doddle.

It seems to me that it is basically a completely new product, so no surprise it can't open older projects from a different product.
Calling it Final Cut was the biggest mistake! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:28 
Chinny chin chin

Trooper wrote:

It seems to me that it is basically a completely new product, so no surprise it can't open older projects from a different product.

But Apple have no right to bitch after spending the last year selling this as the latest version of Final Cut. If you want to produce a new product, fine call it something else. But they've spent a year wooing editors, holding events, etc.

I am of the opinion they've rushed this out to be ready for Lion and features will be quietly added as time goes on. In a years time we may be wondering what all the fuss was about..... I hope.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:36 
ugvm'er at heart...

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Trooper wrote:

But Apple have no right to bitch after spending the last year selling this as the latest version of Final Cut. If you want to produce a new product, fine call it something else. But they've spent a year wooing editors, holding events, etc.

I am of the opinion they've rushed this out to be ready for Lion and features will be quietly added as time goes on. In a years time we may be wondering what all the fuss was about..... I hope.

Oh absolutely, Apple had three options.

1) Upgrade Final Cut based on the old codebase
2) Create a whole new product on a new codebase and call it something different
3) Create a whole new product and call it Final Cut.

I can understand why they want to trade on the Final Cut name for marketing reasons, but the backlash is well and truly deserved.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:39 

http://twitter.com/nikf/statuses/83602777586147328 : "Oh the irony of Hollywood slamming FCPX for being a mediocre sequel to a blockbuster release." :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:03 
Chinny chin chin

Apple has apparently closed comments on FCP-X on the App store.

Move along, nothing to see here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:07 
Chinny chin chin

Trooper wrote:
I can understand why they want to trade on the Final Cut name for marketing reasons, but the backlash is well and truly deserved.

This entire thing also seems to be overshadowing the download debate as well, to which Apples response is that if you don't have the bandwidth find a Mac Store. I bet that's of solace to the guy I met a few weeks back who gets 300k on a good day and lives a 75 minutes from the nearest store.

I'm lucky, I have an office in town. But if I didn't I'd be considering not bothering with a 4gb Lion download unless I could do it over several nights like with a torrent.

And since I have 2 Macs is that 2x4gb downloads?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You want to live in a big field in nowhere-under-fucksville, deal with the fact that technology is more of a challenge for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:11 
ugvm'er at heart...

chinnyhill10 wrote:
And since I have 2 Macs is that 2x4gb downloads?

Not with the current beta, you can save the install and use it on multiple machines.
Who knows with the final release?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:12 
Chinny chin chin

Craster wrote:
You want to live in a big field in nowhere-under-fucksville, deal with the fact that technology is more of a challenge for you.

I didn't come here for a lecture on communism.*

* Serious point actually. In Soviet Russia they forced people from the country to move to the towns. Still happens today as well according to a documentary I saw last year and usually ends badly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

Craster wrote:

also :this:

4Gb is less than a single film these days. Apple have never catered to the lowest common denominator, and i'm glad of that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:15 
Chinny chin chin

Trooper wrote:
Craster wrote:

also :this:

4Gb is less than a single film these days. Apple have never catered to the lowest common denominator, and i'm glad of that.

That's fine.

So £20 for a download, £50 for a DVD. That encourages people but still shows that they have some customer care.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 13:39 
Chinny chin chin

It gets better.

Apple have removed the "save" function in favour of an automatic saving process.

At least one person has closed the software down, come back again, loaded in his project only to find that he'd lost about 3 hours work because it had stopped bothering to save without informing him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 13:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I have a suggestion.

Don't buy it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 13:47 

Craster wrote:
I have a suggestion.

Buy a 360.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 13:48 
ugvm'er at heart...

Craster wrote:
I have a suggestion.

Don't buy it.

But the newest version of Final Cut has stopped all the others versions from working!

Oh, it hasn't? :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 13:51 
Hibernating Druid

Craster wrote:
I have a suggestion.

Buy a Rega RP1 Turntable.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 13:52 
Sleepyhead

Craster wrote:
I have a suggestion.

Buy an Amstrad Emailer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 13:54 
Chinny chin chin

Trooper wrote:

But the newest version of Final Cut has stopped all the others versions from working!

Oh, it hasn't? :D

Quite right it hasn't. But Apple are liable at some point to do an OS update that manages to stop it working which is when it will become an issue.

Support officially ended for 7 yesterday. It's 2 years old but was still being sold until yesterday. Apple had been updating it on a regular basis but that has now stopped as well.

They're making Microsoft look like a lovely fluffy bunch of nice reasonable people who don't kick puppies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 20:53 
Paws for thought

chinnyhill10 wrote:
It gets better.

Apple have removed the "save" function in favour of an automatic saving process.

At least one person has closed the software down, come back again, loaded in his project only to find that he'd lost about 3 hours work because it had stopped bothering to save without informing him.

It just works™

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 22:11 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
It gets better.

Oh man, I'm dreading Lion if auto saving is going to be shoe-horned into all Apps. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 21:19 
Chinny chin chin

My favourite of the videos that have cropped up produced by hacked off editors:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 21:33 
Chinny chin chin

Have just taken delivery of the Magic Trackpad. It's quite good although I'm still getting the hang of it. Stuff like selecting text in a post to delete is still a bit of a chore. But overall it's good.

Also arrived today was my Adobe Production Premium DVD's. Adobe have got my money as the half price deal was too good to resist and Adobe appear to understand what we as editors need. Seems to be a cracking suite of software and happily my favourite plug-in (a colour tool called Colorista) also works in their software.

Have also ordered up the NVIDIA Quadro 4000 for the main Mac Pro tower. With specs that would make certain LED loving ex-posters wet himself, it promises realtime rendering in Premiere. So no more waiting around which in theory means it should pay for itself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 14:03 

So:

• Lion available now on download for £21, or next month on USB stick for about twice that price for the bandwidth-starved.
  • MacBook Air refreshed with no-longer-dead-tech processors (i5 and i7s at 1.6-1.8 GHz) and better GPUs (Intel HD 3000) and 4 GB base RAM on all but the lowest model. They work out cheaper because of these changes. Thunderbolt added too.
  • Mac Mini gets Thunderbolt, loses optical drive, faster CPU.
  • Thunderbolt Display introduced -- 27", 2560x1440, connect one Thunderbolt wire to your laptop and it has ports for USB, Firewire, GigE, audio, etc. Basically it's a docking station as well as a monitor. £900 though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 14:11 
Chinny chin chin

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
So:

• Lion available now on download for £21, or next month on USB stick for about twice that price for the bandwidth-starved.
  • MacBook Air refreshed with no-longer-dead-tech processors (i5 and i7s at 1.6-1.8 GHz) and better GPUs (Intel HD 3000) and 4 GB base RAM on all but the lowest model. They work out cheaper because of these changes. Thunderbolt added too.
  • Mac Mini gets Thunderbolt, loses optical drive, faster CPU.
  • Thunderbolt Display introduced -- 27", 2560x1440, connect one Thunderbolt wire to your laptop and it has ports for USB, Firewire, GigE, audio, etc. Basically it's a docking station as well as a monitor. £900 though.

USB stick seems an odd choice. Unless it's for the Air crowd?

Still at least they are offering it. I paid an extra 25 quid for Adobe CS5.5 on DVD because it gives me something to restore from if it all goes wrong and saves on a 8gb download and arsing around with Adobes download manager.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 14:14 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
USB stick seems an odd choice. Unless it's for the Air crowd?
The Air and now the Mac Mini have no optical drives, so they can't offer DVD alone; offering just USB, that works everywhere, is the pragmatic choice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 14:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

Disaster! My new air order has already gone in and i'll be getting an old one rather than a new one, due to lease deals etc...

Ah well :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 14:50 

Trooper wrote:
Disaster! My new air order has already gone in and i'll be getting an old one rather than a new one, due to lease deals etc...

Ah well :D

Is there nothing you can do? If you'd bought it from Apple at any point in the last 2 weeks, they'd let you return it and swap it for a new one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 15:03 

:this:

Did you order directly from Apple? I've seen it happen on reddit a few times - Apple are generally always happy to replace your kit with the newer version.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 15:07 
ugvm'er at heart...

Nah, it's a company lease arrangement thingy :) What's done is done. I did tell them to wait a couple of weeks, but they ignored me :belm:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 15:14 

If it's still sealed and boxed when you get it, try a sneaky trip to the local Apple Store (and tell them you've lost the receipt). You never know!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 15:21 
Chinny chin chin

WTB wrote:
If it's still sealed and boxed when you get it, try a sneaky trip to the local Apple Store (and tell them you've lost the receipt). You never know!

No DO NOT do this. The lease company will know the serial number. Do a swap and you'll end up paying for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 15:40 

What's the worst that could happen? *runs away cackling maniacally*

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 15:40 

That's a pain in the arse. Apple defintely do honour that as I've done it myself. Last time I bought an iMac, Apple released a newer version a week later. I called up the store I'd bought it from to have a "you could've warned me" style go at someone in the vain hope I might get somewhere and instead they just told me to pop the computer back in the box, take it straight down to them and they'd do a swap. Since the newer model was cheaper than the one I'd bought, they also refunded me the difference.

If nothing else, the customer service Apple provide is top notch.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 16:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

Oh sure, Apple do support it, but i'm not buying it myself and the company isn't buying direct from Apple. It is what it is :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 16:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

OSX Lion installed. No major problems, needed to install Cheetah to get Sick Beard to work again, and CouchPotato isn't compatible at the moment, but I never really used that anyway.

The scrolling is totally fucked up though, and the first thing you do will be to turn off the cack-handed inverted scroll business, why the fuck would I want to scroll up to scroll down a page? This isn't a touch screen! :D

Google Chrome doesn't support 1 finger swipe for back and forward yet, but I assume that will turn up in a day or two.

New Mail is much nicer than before.

Performance wise it is supposed to be quicker, but spotlight is going mental at the moment, so i can't really tell...

Current Boxee smb shares don't work, so i've deleted them and am having to rescan in my library, moved over to afp and that seems to be working.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 17:47 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Trooper wrote:
The scrolling is totally fucked up though, and the first thing you do will be to turn off the cack-handed inverted scroll business, why the fuck would I want to scroll up to scroll down a page? This isn't a touch screen! :D

The current scroll gesture is the fucked up one, if you think about it, and you're only used to it through convention. Add side-swiping into the current model, and it breaks down just the same way, so it needs standardising to either be reversed or gesturally tied to the content.

As you say, there's an option to change it, but that's like :attitude: complaining about legacy controls. You just need to shift your mental model a bit over some time.

That said, breaking convention even if it actually makes sense from a UI model isn't always a wise choice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 18:16 
ugvm'er at heart...

Malabelm wrote:
Trooper wrote:

The current scroll gesture is the fucked up one, if you think about it, and you're only used to it through convention. Add side-swiping into the current model, and it breaks down just the same way, so it needs standardising to either be reversed or gesturally tied to the content.

Hardly, I move my finger down my mouse and the content on the screen moves down. Same as if I click and hold the scroll bar and move the mouse downwards, the content moves down.
The current convention is that you move the content, the iOS convention is you moved the screen, which works because the content stays with your finger. This doesn't work on non touch screen devices.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 18:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
Current Boxee smb shares don't work, so i've deleted them and am having to rescan in my library, moved over to afp and that seems to be working.

Well, that was a dead loss! 2300 files found, 550 files displayed. No way of seeing the rest or re-adding them.
Moved back to SMB and after a reset of the Boxee it seems to be working...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 18:40 

Trooper wrote:
The current convention is that you move the content, the iOS convention is you moved the screen, which works because the content stays with your finger. This doesn't work on non touch screen devices.

Wrong away around, chap ;)

The current convention is removed from the content: you're pushing the screen around which makes no sense at all beyond convention itself — “I want to drag this content down, so I scroll up?” whereas on touch devices it goes “I want to drag this content down, so I drag this content down.”

Your mind rebels because you're used to this scroll behaviour, not because the act of separation between the trackpad and the content/screen makes it any different; you're still essentially manipulating the content rather than the window. It's just a slightly different perspective is all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 18:43 
ugvm'er at heart...

Malabelm wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Wrong away around, chap ;)

The current convention is removed from the content: you're pushing the screen around which makes no sense at all beyond convention — “I want to drag this content down, so I scroll up?” whereas on touch devices it goes “I want to drag this content down, so I drag this content down.”

Your mind rebels because you're used to this scroll behaviour, not because the act of separation between the trackpad and the content/screen makes it any different; you're still essentially manipulating the content rather than the window. It's just a [i]slightly[/i[ different perspective is all.

Meh, wrong or right way round, you know what I mean. :D

Simply put, to move down a webpage, I move my finger down the mouse. Regardless of "conventions" or not, anything else is mindbreaking and ludicrous :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 18:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Nah. You don't want to 'move the content down', you want to 'move up to where the content you want to see is'.

Why would you move content when what you actually want to do is move your view to the appropriate part of the content?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 18:46 

Craster wrote:
Nah. You don't want to 'move the content down', you want to 'move up to where the content you want to see is'.

Why would you move content when what you actually want to do is move your view to the appropriate part of the content?

Your windows are static, and the content scrolls up/down/left/right within it, you belm ;) You're definitely interacting with the content.

Reply to topic  [ 554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next