Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1076 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Students protesting outside Con HQ
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:30 
Gogmagog

I feel uncomfortable about the working class carrying the burden of the property aspirations of the bourgeois.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:31 

kalmyrrh wrote:
In fact it's been the established system for a while, but given the fact it's blatantly on the edge of imploding all the time, I'm surprised they haven't made it law before now.

Don't HM Treasury sit on repayments for a year or so to earn the interest, then pay it to the Loans Company, or something?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:35 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
I was reading this BBC page and was a bit stunned by a comment mid-way down:

Quote:
The rules have not yet been set on this. Mr Willetts has said it is "important" that higher earners are "not able unfairly to buy themselves out" of the system by paying their loans back early.

He said the government would consult on penalties for early repayments, saying that there might be a 5% levy on repayments over a certain amount each year - or on early repayments made by graduates with incomes above a certain threshold, such as £60,000.

Wealthy students will, however, be able to pay their own university fees up front, avoiding accruing any debt at all.

Sorry, but what? How is it unfair if someone lands a great job or wins the lottery and decides he wants to pay it all off?

That's a silly idea.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:37 
Kern wrote:
Sorry, but what? How is it unfair if someone lands a great job or wins the lottery and decides he wants to pay it all off?

One of my mates paid his off as soon as he graduated and I don't think he got any penalties.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:42 
INFINITE POWAH

Christmas Tsara wrote:
I feel uncomfortable about the working class carrying the burden of the property aspirations of the bourgeois.

Good-oh, but what's that got to do with tuition fees?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:44 
Gogmagog

GoodKingWrongceslas wrote:
Christmas Tsara wrote:

Erm..

....because it's debt, it will come out of your salary for a long time, it's a lot of money and will make it even harder for people to be able to afford to buy houses and such.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:46 
Unpossible!

Student loans aren't considered on mortgage applications. Or at least, they weren't on mine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
Student loans aren't considered on mortgage applications. Or at least, they weren't on mine.

Or ours.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:48 
INFINITE POWAH

Christmas Tsara wrote:
Christmas Tsara wrote:

Erm..

....because it's debt, it will come out of your salary for a long time, it's a lot of money and will make it even harder for people to be able to afford to buy houses and such.

Yeah, but how does that mean that the working class are carrying the burden of other people's property aspirations? It just means their property aspirations will be less.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:48 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Or ours.

Nor mine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:49 
INFINITE POWAH

DavPaz wrote:

It does rather effect your net pay, however, which is what you will be using to pay off your mortgage.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:49 

Kern wrote:
When you sell debt (in the form of bonds), you can get a much better rate if early repayments are rare or non-existant (think mortgages) than if early repayments are common (think credit cards). This is because it makes the bond's rate of return more stable. This is part of why mortgage APRs are so much lower than more liquid debt. So that's the motivation; pretty crappy decision for the students though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

How much is it going to be per month for a £27k student?

[edit]@Mr Chris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:50 
Gogmagog

Yeah, but how does that mean that the working class are carrying the burden of other people's property aspirations? It just means their property aspirations will be less.

Because they have to help fund the middle classes through university to no benefit of their own to make it easier for the middle classes to get houses and stuffs and I don't think that that is correct.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:51 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:

[edit]@Mr Chris

When I was earning a little less than that, I think I was paying off about a ton a month, pre tax, as a comparator.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:52 
INFINITE POWAH

Christmas Tsara wrote:

Because they have to help fund the middle classes through university to no benefit of their own to make it easier for the middle classes to get houses and stuffs and I don't think that that is correct.

By paying tuition fees they won't be helping fund middle classes. The middle classes will be paying their own fees, assuming they earn enough. If they don't then everyone will be paying their fees by way of tax.

Grim...- it depends how much you're earning, doesn't it? I'm not convinced the Treasury will have calculated the amounts so that they're low enough per month that everyone can still afford a house, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:53 
Unpossible!

Christmas Tsara wrote:
When I was earning a little less than that, I think I was paying off about a ton a month, pre tax, as a comparator.

:this:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:53 

Doctor Nadolig wrote:
When you sell debt (in the form of bonds), you can get a much better rate if early repayments are rare or non-existant (think mortgages) than if early repayments are common (think credit cards). This is because it makes the bond's rate of return more stable. This is part of why mortgage APRs are so much lower than more liquid debt. So that's the motivation; pretty crappy decision for the students though.

Thanks for that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:55 
Gogmagog

Christmas Tsara wrote:

By paying tuition fees they won't be helping fund middle classes. The middle classes will be paying their own fees, assuming they earn enough. If they don't then everyone will be paying their fees by way of tax.

Thems working classes that ain't gone to uni, guvn'r. It is those that has what will profits from the sweat, blood and toil of the workers who was gone paid taxes so thems could pay less fees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:57 

Grim... wrote:
I don't know if it's a different calculation under the new system, but currently the repayment is calculated on your salary, not your debt. The almighty listentotaxman.com will calculate it for you for different salaries.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:57 
INFINITE POWAH

Christmas Tsara wrote:
Thems working classes that ain't gone to uni, guvn'r. It is those that has what will profits from the sweat, blood and toil of the workers who was gone paid taxes so thems could pay less fees.

Eh?

(a) Everyone in work pays tax, not just poor people.

(b) Taxpayers already pay for 60% of the fees, so this will only reduce the tax burden for it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:03 
Gogmagog

Christmas Tsara wrote:

Eh?

(a) Everyone in work pays tax.

(b) Taxpayers already pay for 60% of the fees, so this will only reduce the tax burden for it.

Historical positions:

State funding of all places, no fees - taxpayers pay for students to go to university.
Tutition fees introduced - Students pay a massive £20 a week to attend university
MOAR fees - Students pay more

I think that an increase in tuition fees will 'greatly disadvantage students in their ability to pay for houses' is unfair on those tax payers who haven't gone to university and as a result have supported the middle classes ability to pay for houses after they graduate. I can't think of a clearer way to put it than in my original post that

"The working classes, through tax, shouldn't bear the cost of the middle classes desire to own property."

Which one could refine to:

"The poor shouldn't have to fund the middle classes through university due to the desire of the middle classes to more easily aquire stuff"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:06 
INFINITE POWAH

Christmas Tsara wrote:
Christmas Tsara wrote:

Eh?

(a) Everyone in work pays tax.

Historical positions:

State funding of all places, no fees - taxpayers pay for students to go to university.
Tutition fees introduced - Students pay a massive £20 a week to attend university
MOAR fees - Students pay more

I think that an increase in tuition fees will 'greatly disadvantage students in their ability to pay for houses' is unfair on those tax payers who haven't gone to university and as a result have supported the middle classes ability to pay for houses after they graduate. I can't think of a clearer way to put it than in my original post that

Oh, I get you - I thought you meant that the fees change was unfair in this respect, not my proposal that we should go back to the previous system because the new one would disadvantage all graduates, whether from rich or poor backgrounds.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:07 
Gogmagog

Someone on Question time said it better I think.

I can't see how the new system disadvantages poorer people over richer people, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:09 
INFINITE POWAH

Christmas Tsara wrote:

I can't see how the new system disadvantages poorer people over richer people, though.

Other than in so far as the less well off are more likely to have to repay the fees themselves rather than getting Daddy to do it (and so avoiding interest also), and are more likely to be put off by fear of such huge debt due to lack of parental back-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:09 

Lots of data here:

• fees over £6k/yr attract penalties for the Unis (eg a requirement to offern burseries and scolarships), so expect to see many courses capped to that amount.
  • repayments are 9% of gross income above the £21k threshold. So that's £30 per month (pre tax) if you start on £25k after graduation. At that rate it'll take 50 year to repay the principle before inflationary interest is accounted for!
  • graduates who go on to earn more than £41k will be charged 3% interest on top of the inflation on the outstanding loan amount. (but still charged penalty fees for early repayments?)
  • any debt outstanding after 30 years will be annulled; could be that as many as three quarters never repay their loans.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:11 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Nadolig wrote:
Lots of data here:

• fees over £6k/yr attract penalties for the Unis (eg a requirement to offern burseries and scolarships), so expect to see many courses capped to that amount.
  • repayments are 9% of gross income above the £21k threshold. So that's £30 per month (pre tax) if you start on £25k after graduation. At that rate it'll take 50 year to repay the principle before inflationary interest is accounted for!
  • graduates who go on to earn more than £41k will be charged 3% interest on top of the inflation on the outstanding loan amount. (but still charged penalty fees for early repayments?)
  • any debt outstanding after 30 years will be annulled; could be that as many as three quarters never repay their loans.

Look, I'm not having a debate ruined by facts, Doc. Fuck off.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:12 
Gogmagog

Christmas Tsara wrote:

Other than in so far as the less well off are more likely to have to repay the fees themselves rather than getting Daddy to do it, and are more likely to be put off by fear of such huge debt due to lack of parental back-up.

It comes out of wages, before they even see it, and affects al equally and I don't think you should legislate against people being rich.

I'll try and think of a way to clarify my thoughts and position and come back to you, as my head isn't working very well at the moment and I've got to head out in a bit. I shall reply from the Madding where I shall have a pint.

Gogmagog

£30 pcm sounds pretty fucking reasonable.

Christmas Tsara wrote:
£2 pcm sounds pretty fucking reasonable.

:attitude:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:14 
INFINITE POWAH

Hang on - I think you mean 187pcm, doc, not 30pcm. 9% of 25k/12 is 187.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:16 
Gogmagog

Above teh 21k threshold.

so 25,000-21000/100*9/12=£30

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:17 
Sleepyhead

Also worth noting that the Institute for Fiscal Studies have said that the new systems is fairer than the told system, fairer than the Browne report, and fairer than the propositions of the Tories and of Labour.

Still, those bastard Lib Dems, eh?

*Note - I admittedly have no idea how they define 'fairer'

Christmas Tsara wrote:
It comes out of wages, before they even see it
That has nothing to do with the psychology of knowing you owe someone thirty thousand pounds, of course. My mortgage direct debit goes out day after my wages are deposited, so I don't meaningfully see that either, but it still weighs in my decisions about money.

Gogmagog

Curiositree wrote:

Snow White does.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

4k, not 25k.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:19 

Curiositree wrote:

One of those labels that everyone uses and nobody defines. Lack of definitions is why I get bored listening to political debates. You support fairness? Yay! Go fairness! Er, what do you think is 'fair'?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:20 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:

4k, not 25k.

Ah, right. DocG's post was worded in such a way as to be able to be read the way I did. Or something.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:21 

Ah, right. DocG's post was worded in such a way as to be able to be read the way I did. Or something.
What, this bit?
Quote:
repayments are 9% of gross income above the £21k threshold

Yes, I can certainly understand how you misread that. To get to the root of the problem, however, we need to ignore the words I wrote and instead x-ray your skull.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:21 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Only if you read it wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:23 
Unpossible!

Did we see this, BTW?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:24 
Hibernating Druid

No.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:24 

Curiositree wrote:
Also worth noting that the Institute for Fiscal Studies have said that the new systems is fairer than the told system, fairer than the Browne report, and fairer than the propositions of the Tories and of Labour
Based on what I've read this morning, it could be fairer because poor people can go to Uni, make tiny repayments for thirty years they barely feel, leave most of the debt oustanding, then write it off. Hurrah!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:25 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Nadolig wrote:
What, this bit?
Quote:
repayments are 9% of gross income above the £21k threshold

Yes, I can certainly understand how you misread that. To get to the root of the problem, however, we need to ignore the words I wrote and instead x-ray your skull.

Hardy har har.

Easily read as meaning that repayments are 9% once your income is above 21k.

Clearly this is so, because I'm not thick and that's how I read it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:29 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Doctor Nadolig wrote:
Curiositree wrote:
Also worth noting that the Institute for Fiscal Studies have said that the new systems is fairer than the told system, fairer than the Browne report, and fairer than the propositions of the Tories and of Labour
Based on what I've read this morning, it could be fairer because poor people can go to Uni, make tiny repayments for thirty years they barely feel, leave most of the debt oustanding, then write it off. Hurrah!

In that case, it sort of stops being a loan, and just becomes some sort of odd, time-bound graduate income tax. And the government still fund higher education, it's just moved around the balance sheet a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:35 
INFINITE POWAH

Squirt wrote:
Doctor Nadolig wrote:
Curiositree wrote:

In that case, it sort of stops being a loan, and just becomes some sort of odd, time-bound graduate income tax. And the government still fund higher education, it's just moved around the balance sheet a bit.

Yeah, quite. Someone else can do the maths, but if only a quarter of the fees are going to be paid off in full, that could actually end up meaning that they'll be receiving less from the students than they do now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:37 
INFINITE POWAH

Ha -

"Christmas is a time when kids tell Santa what they want and adults pay for it. Deficits are when adults tell the government what they want and their kids pay for it."
Quote from US politician Richard Lamm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:37 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I wonder what the worse amount to be earning over your life before it gets annulled is? There must be a sweet spot where you're paying it off, but slowly enough so you're still paying for the whole time period, whereas someone earning ten grand more than you would pay off less overall.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 14:08 
Excellent Member

Curiositree wrote:
Also worth noting that the Institute for Fiscal Studies have said that the new systems is fairer than the told system, fairer than the Browne report, and fairer than the propositions of the Tories and of Labour.

It's also worth pointing out that the IFS are also quite critical of the system, pointing out a few obvious flaws that probably would be rectified if the Government weren't quite so keen on rushing it through Parliament, and point out that, based on parental income, the new system means that poorer students will pay more than under the current system.

As for the £6,000 cap - if the universities need to charge in the range of 7-8k to replace the educational grant, expect them to head towards £9,000 even with offering bursaries…

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 15:11 
INFINITE POWAH

Jesus christ.

some of the comments on this police blog are rather telling.

Some snippets:

Quote:
When will ACPO grow a pair and give us water cannons, CS grenades and baton guns in public order situations!!!, Saying that anyone seen that crowd control taser that does about 30 people in one go on youtube, taser is the future!!!!!

Quote:
Get me a gympie and leave me with it. Ten minutes with a good beating zone and it’d all be over…..

Or I can get some of my old mates and we’l fix bayonets. That WOULD be satisfying…..

Quote:
Anonymous, Snivelling Jobsworth sh### at the IPCC investigating two cases at student demos! If ever a quango deserved a kicking its the IPCC!

Quote:
I hope these scumbags die of exposure in the meantime

Delightful.

Reply to topic  [ 1076 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next