Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1076 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Students protesting outside Con HQ
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:55 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
So, lets get this right, you reckon that Corporates should pay a rate of tax at least equivalent to individuals? So lets say 50% as many companies make a lot of money.

So - Company makes a profit of £100. Pays tax of £50. There is £50 left to pay out, which goes out as a dividend to the shareholders, who pay tax at 36.1% on a dividend (thats an effective extraction rate, not a published rate).

Would you invest in a company where, after tax, there is only £32 left of £100 profits after taxes? If there were profits? There is no reasonable post tax return for investors in that business, unless the business is growing money trees.

Ah, but I think all companies should be run on the lines of John Lewis, as I'm a big pinko commie.

Quote:
Also - the window cleaner incorporation business was exactly the type of business I was talking about discouraging. Sure, they get a warm cuddly feeling that their tax bills may be £2,500 lower (the average), but they don't get warned that the cost of running a company is £2,000 a year over that of running in your own name, if they get it right.

Really? If you're a sole trader acting through a ltd it's £2,000 extra? What does that go on? I didn't think the co house fees were that big.

Co house fees are fuck all. But as a company you have to prepare accounts, and as a small self employed window cleaner you don't as you can report everything direct on your tax return which anyone can do. You don't stand a chance of doing that successfully without getting an accountant, and Co House now rigourously reject any that aren't right, and if they reject them after the filing date, you get a penalty which is high.

You also have two tax returns as you are a director so you don't get out of your personal return, plus one for the company. You can get away with doing the company tax return yourself, but if you aren't represented, your chances of enquiry are much, much higher. Your chances of winning any enquiry, even where you weren't wrong, are much, much lower.

Also, iirc, John Lewis pays Corp Tax too, so your comparison is flawed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:55 
INFINITE POWAH

kalmar wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Really? If you're a sole trader acting through a ltd it's £2,000 extra? What does that go on? I didn't think the co house fees were that big.

They're not.
I have a small LTD company. Accountancy fees cost about 500, and if you factor in the time for general admin it probably could add up to 2 grand.

Accountancy fees? You'd do it yourself, surely? It'd be short form accounts anyway for that sort of sized company (unless you're making millions and being coy about it ;)). And general admin, you'd have that anyway, surely? And don't get me started on people who put a value to their own time - it's like people who write complaint letters to Argos and say "I shall be charging you £100 an hour for my time in resolving my complaint" in green ink.

Quote:
It's a bit of hassle but I like the idea that in theory it's LTD. Even though in practice I'm sure as the director any legal action would take me out anyway. Not that that's a big risk hopefully.

I'm not a corporate lawyer any more but I recall that it's fairly difficult to prosecute a director for pretty much anything to do with the running of the company other than fraud or trading whilst insolvent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:56 
INFINITE POWAH

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Co house fees are fuck all. But as a company you have to prepare accounts, and as a small self employed window cleaner you don't as you can report everything direct on your tax return which anyone can do. You don't stand a chance of doing that successfully without getting an accountant, and Co House now rigourously reject any that aren't right, and if they reject them after the filing date, you get a penalty which is high.

You also have two tax returns as you are a director so you don't get out of your personal return, plus one for the company. You can get away with doing the company tax return yourself, but if you aren't represented, your chances of enquiry are much, much higher. Your chances of winning any enquiry, even where you weren't wrong, are much, much lower

Ah, fair enough - but those are potential costs rather than actual. If you're not a moron you should be fine, surely?

Quote:
Also, iirc, John Lewis pays Corp Tax too, so your comparison is flawed.

Not even remotely flawed - my point being that it's not run for investors' benefits, so the "poor rate of return" you get due to increased corp tax means precisely fuck all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:58 

Ok, this article reads like a piece of buck-passing spin, but what caught my eye was this

Torygraph wrote:
A unit at Scotland Yard routinely scans the “chatter” on the internet before protests, but there are questions over how it either missed or ignored the suggestion of violence and the involvement of known anarchist groups.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... lence.html

Just as well they weren't lame gags on Twitter, eh folks?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:00 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

The should have run more data mining, using protocols!

/24 mode

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:01 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I'm not a corporate lawyer any more but I recall that it's fairly difficult to prosecute a director for pretty much anything to do with the running of the company other than fraud or trading whilst insolvent.

CA2006 wrote:
171.Duty to act within powers
172.Duty to promote the success of the company
173.Duty to exercise independent judgment
174.Duty to exercise reasonable care, skill and diligence
175.Duty to avoid conflicts of interest
176.Duty not to accept benefits from third parties
177.Duty to declare interest in proposed transaction or arrangement

"Don't be a knob" seems to pretty much cover it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:01 
Unpossible!

I feel the need to reply to Cavey's posts about the arts being pointless.

I'm not sure you understand how the world works mate. You can't draw a solid line between art and engineering. As an engineer yourself you must, *must* understand that elegance and grace is in everything. You must know that engineering and design are the same thing. The greatest engineers are great artists. You see what I'm getting at here?

One compliments the other. We need poncing preening fops every bit as much as we need monkey armed grease monkeys. Not least because that's what some people will be anyway. I liked Squirt's comment about shoving a wrench in Crispin's hands: some people will never be 'useful' in practical ways. BUT! Those people are the men and women that create the TV programs and radio shows and music that you no doubt enjoy. These people helped drag the country from it's coal dust encrusted past into a modern world with innovative design and creativity. You may not like them, but you need them.

And, guess what? They need education too. Apprenticeships even. A youngster with a spark of talent is massively benefited by being taught by an experienced practitioner. Universities are an ideal place for these people to grow into their field and hone their technique and build networks so they too can start a business and BENEFIT THE FUCKING ECONOMY.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:02 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Squirt wrote:
People come from across the world, spending money as they go ( and requiring Rolls Royce engines in the process ) for our arts and our culture.

Just imagine how many would come if we had an Empire State Building.

Or a monorail.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:03 
DavPaz wrote:
stuff

I don't think he's slamming the arts. More slamming things like "golf course management" and "lady gaga studies" and "david beckham studies" which serve no real importance in the scheme of things.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
I feel the need to reply to Cavey's posts about the arts being pointless.

I'm not sure you understand how the world works mate. You can't draw a solid line between art and engineering. As an engineer yourself you must, *must* understand that elegance and grace is in everything. You must know that engineering and design are the same thing. The greatest engineers are great artists. You see what I'm getting at here?

One compliments the other. We need poncing preening fops every bit as much as we need monkey armed grease monkeys. Not least because that's what some people will be anyway. I liked Squirt's comment about shoving a wrench in Crispin's hands: some people will never be 'useful' in practical ways. BUT! Those people are the men and women that create the TV programs and radio shows and music that you no doubt enjoy. These people helped drag the country from it's coal dust encrusted past into a modern world with innovative design and creativity. You may not like them, but you need them.

And, guess what? They need education too. Apprenticeships even. A youngster with a spark of talent is massively benefited by being taught by an experienced practitioner. Universities are an ideal place for these people to grow into their field and hone their technique and build networks so they too can start a business and BENEFIT THE FUCKING ECONOMY.

Absolute fucking drivel.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:05 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

CA2006 wrote:
171.Duty to act within powers
172.Duty to promote the success of the company
173.Duty to exercise independent judgment
174.Duty to exercise reasonable care, skill and diligence
175.Duty to avoid conflicts of interest
176.Duty not to accept benefits from third parties
177.Duty to declare interest in proposed transaction or arrangement

"Don't be a knob" seems to pretty much cover it.

They're not prosecutable though, are they? But the shareholders can enforce against the directors? Which if you're the shareholder is a bit of a non-issue.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:06 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Absolute fucking drivel.

I wonder what Avatar would have looked like if none of the CGI people could draw or understood art at all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:08 
INFINITE POWAH

nickachu wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
stuff

I don't think he's slamming the arts. More slamming things like "golf course management" and "lady gaga studies" and "david beckham studies" which serve no real importance in the scheme of things.

No, read back through his posts, mate - he's also saying he'd sacrifice history and english literature.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:08 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Absolute fucking drivel.

I wonder what Avatar would have looked like if none of the CGI peopel could draw or understood art at all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:09 
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
nickachu wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
stuff

No, read back through his posts, mate - he's also saying he'd sacrifice history and english literature.

I'd sacrifice them too.

INFINITE POWAH

Kern wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Absolute fucking drivel.

I wonder what Avatar would have looked like if none of the CGI peopel could draw or understood art at all.

Heh. BUT! The DoP had to understand light and shade and colour and other arty things that you don't get from learning to use a spanner.

INFINITE POWAH

nickachu wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
nickachu wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
stuff

I'd sacrifice them too.

You've fucked off overseas so you lose any opinion on what happens here. Bloody expats. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:10 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I just wrote a calculations post proving Mr K wrong, but it bored even me, and this isn't the thread for it anyway. Anyhow, the numbers show that John Lewis employees get virtually the same amount post tax as vodafone shareholders do per £100 of profit. So ner.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:10 

Something interesting I found: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11438140

In the UK we spend 1.3% of our GDP on higher education, of which (I'm guessing) is mostly publically funded as until now our fees charged to students haven't been very high. About 35% of kids get degrees.

In the US, they spend 3.1% of GDP, but only 1/3rd of it comes from the public purse -- the rest is fees and donations to Universities. About 37% of their kids get degrees.

But in Finland, they spend 1.6% of GDP, with 94% of all higher education funding from public money. Students pay no fees at all. 63% of kids get degrees.

How the hell are the Fins so much more efficient than we are, and how are the Americans so goddamn wasteful? And why are we choosing to move towards the US and not towards the Fins?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Absolute fucking drivel.

I wonder what Avatar would have looked like if none of the CGI people could draw or understood art at all.

You appear to have quoted the wrong post - I pretty much agree with the point that art is important (but it would probably survive a year or two off), but compared to practical stuff, it's pushing close to worthless.
Without artists, Avatar probably would have looked crap. Without engineers, there would have been no computers to draw it on, no stages to act it, no cameras to film it with and no theatres to watch it in.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:11 
Gogmagog

nickachu wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
stuff

From somewhere else:

Quote:
....regardless of stupid newspaper headline - by the sound of it, it's sport studies with an emphasis on soccer - and apparently a lecture/seminar on the topic of david beckham and popular culture - i guess in some parts of the world beckham has become an icon for football (but not only for this) like maradonna or pele.

After all, soccer is a multi-billion € business (e.g. merchandising, broadcasting rights, advertisement, cups, leagues etc.), an important part of modern pop culture if not folklore - not only in europe but almost all over the world - influencing and affecting millions of people. and last but not least sports (not only soccer) have quite close ties to politics - usually providing "images" for politicians/policies (promoting a "fair play" attitude, increasing popularity as soccer is considered "down to earth" and "honest business" ... unlike politics, etc.) .. so unless you consider cultural studies per se a waste of time, there's no reason for : psyduck: or :motherofgod:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
How the hell are the Fins so much more efficient than we are, and how are the Americans so goddamn wasteful? And why are we choosing to move towards the US and not towards the Fins?

I'd take a stab at that having more to do with the people doing the learning than the money involved.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:13 

Grim... wrote:
Without artists, Avatar probably would have looked crap. Without engineers, there would have been no computers to draw it on, no stages to act it, no cameras to film it with and no theatres to watch it in.
This is a fatuous argument. Without artists to storyboard and authors to write screenplays, you don't have something that looks crap, you have a load of software guys sat around with an expensive render cluster doing nothing at all. Filmmaking, as an overall process, is a craft that relies on both artistic and technical aspects. If you don't have both bits, you don't have films.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:14 
INFINITE POWAH

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I just wrote a calculations post proving Mr K wrong, but it bored even me, and this isn't the thread for it anyway. Anyhow, the numbers show that John Lewis employees get virtually the same amount post tax as vodafone shareholders do per £100 of profit. So ner.

Ha! I'll take your word for it. :)

Still, they could always charge higher prices.

Grim... wrote:
You appear to have quoted the wrong post - I pretty much agree with the point that art is important (but it would probably survive a year or two off), but compared to practical stuff, it's pushing close to worthless.
Without artists, Avatar probably would have looked crap. Without engineers, there would have been no computers to draw it on, no stages to act it on and no theatres to watch it in.

So we need both, then? As without artists, writers, cameramen, directors and actors we wouldn't have a film industry which keeps all those engineers in business. And the arty sorts could always just fuck off back to the theatre and put the lot of them out of work.

Also there's "useless" economically, and "useless" culturally. Culture is as important as cash, IMHO OHO ETC.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:15 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I'd take a stab at that having more to do with the people doing the learning than the money involved.

I'm interested in what you mean here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:16 
Gogmagog

[quote="Mr Kissyfur"
They're not prosecutable though, are they? But the shareholders can enforce against the directors? Which if you're the shareholder is a bit of a non-issue.[/quote]

Could a third party not hold a Director personally liable in the event that he did not do stuff properly? CA doesn't appear to be too clear.
Quote:
Civil consequences of breach of general duties

(1)The consequences of breach (or threatened breach) of sections 171 to 177 are the same as would apply if the corresponding common law rule or equitable principle applied.

(2)The duties in those sections (with the exception of section 174 (duty to exercise reasonable care, skill and diligence)) are, accordingly, enforceable in the same way as any other fiduciary duty owed to a company by its directors.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:16 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

DavPaz wrote:

*Grumbles about art and design being not even remotely the same thing*

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:17 

nickachu wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
nickachu wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
stuff

I'd sacrifice them too.

There's this great book you should read, it's called 1984.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:17 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
[quote="Mr Kissyfur"
They're not prosecutable though, are they? But the shareholders can enforce against the directors? Which if you're the shareholder is a bit of a non-issue.

Could a third party not hold a Director personally liable in the event that he did not do stuff properly? CA doesn't appear to be too clear.
Quote:
Civil consequences of breach of general duties

(1)The consequences of breach (or threatened breach) of sections 171 to 177 are the same as would apply if the corresponding common law rule or equitable principle applied.

(2)The duties in those sections (with the exception of section 174 (duty to exercise reasonable care, skill and diligence)) are, accordingly, enforceable in the same way as any other fiduciary duty owed to a company by its directors.
[/quote]
The fiduciary duty bit is important here - it's not something that third parties can rely on. And note 174 is excluded even from that - IIRC 174 is a wishy washy statement of "wouldn't it be nice if companies were nice".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:18 
INFINITE POWAH

Malaboob wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Turf wars aside, they're a teensy bit related though, aren't they?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:18 
Unpossible!

Without artists, we wouldn't need computers.

We'd all be John Coffey, endlessly building a technological marvel, but never using it for anything other than benchmarks.

And my point, distilled to the minimum is 'Engineers are artists'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
This is a fatuous argument.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I made that quite clear. (Hey, if you select something in the 'topic review' bit and hit 'quote' it only quotes the selected bit).

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I'm interested in what you mean here.

It's a guess, like I said, but maybe the Finnish culture leans more toward learning?

INFINITE POWAH

DavPaz wrote:
Without artists, we wouldn't need computers.

We'd all be John Coffey, endlessly building a technological marvel, but never using it for anything other than benchmarks.

Some are, certainly. Brunel certainly was. Christopher Wren was. Sur Alan isn't.

Sleepyhead

Whilst I consider the arts important... to take a random sample such as this board, how many of your favourite musicians and authors studied English Lit or Music at University?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Jesus, there's at least three different conversations going on here :S

DavPaz wrote:

That's tricky to define - isn't anyone with any skill an artist?

Part physicist, part WARLORD

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Not really, no, but we'll start getting into philosophical arguments about what art really is if we go down this route.

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
Whilst I consider the arts important... to take a random sample such as this board, how many of your favourite musicians and authors studied English Lit or Music at University?

I wanted to make that point about Crispin but (unsurprisingly) I don't know who he is ;)

Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
The fiduciary duty bit is important here - it's not something that third parties can rely on. And note 174 is excluded even from that - IIRC 174 is a wishy washy statement of "wouldn't it be nice if companies were nice".

s174 is due care, skill and dillgence.

I really can't remember, to be honest. I've a feeling I should know, though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:21 

Grim... wrote:
It's a guess, like I said, but maybe the Finnish culture leans more toward learning?

Perhaps, but culture isn't some fixed thing that you just have to deal with. It's something you can endeavour to change through policy.

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Malaboob wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Not really, no, but we'll start getting into philosophical arguments about what art really is if we go down this route.

Oops.

SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Perhaps, but culture isn't some fixed thing that you just have to deal with. It's something you can endeavour to change through policy.

It is if you listen to Mr Chris ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:22 
Unpossible!

Malaboob wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Utter drivel.

That's two people trying to carve a nice solid niche out for themselves without seeing the interconnectedness of it all. You have to be an artist to be a designer. I trained in design, but have no artistic flair so I ultimately failed. Look are Zardoz! He's an artist! Admittedly I haven't seen any of your work, but I doubt it's just black text on white backgrounds.

<Kalmar>
C'mon people. We are everybody!
</Kalmar>

Edit: Slow typing today :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:23 
baron of techno

I'm not touching this one :)

INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:

Possibly, but why is it they can do it more cheaply? I'm with Gaywood - I can't see how a massive, research heavy country like the US can end up spending so much public money on something that is largely privately funded.

Malaboob wrote:
Not really, no, but we'll start getting into philosophical arguments about what art really is if we go down this route

Hell, fine with me! I'm always intersted in learning, as this is an area I don't really know that much about. From an ignorant point of view, I'd have thought design involves many of the same creative processes as art, but the difference is the purpose and the requirement to take into account function?
Grim... wrote:
markg wrote:
Grim... wrote:

It is if you listen to Mr Chris ;)

Eh? Culture is just there, but of course it's something you can wreck or improve through policy.

SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
You have to be an artist to be a designer.

Rubbish. Rubbish rubbish rubbish.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:24 
Hibernating Druid

I'm not an artist. I'm a pixel engineer.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:24 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
You have to be an artist to be a designer.

Rubbish. Rubbish rubbish rubbish.

Why?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:25 
Hibernating Druid

kalmar wrote:
I'm not touching this one :)

How about this one?
*glances at banana hammock*

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

Filthy Junkie Bitch

MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

s174 is due care, skill and dillgence.

I really can't remember, to be honest. I've a feeling I should know, though.

I've seen it done before.
Company was running out of cash - director/shareholder kept taking dividends out. When the company went bust, creditors went after him personally under s174 (or 85 equivalent) and he lost his house. Liquidators can look back at actions over a two year period prior to insolvency iirc.

Grim... wrote:
Trust me when I say that creating a customer mentality in further education won't help at all.

When I taught in Cardiff Uni in the early 00s, we struggled with students who needed a solid bollocking about poor attendence and not handing in assignments, but if we did all we got back was the attitude "I'm paying for this degree and I'll attend or not attend as I see fit". Ten years previously, we could have reported them to the grant-awarding LEA who could threaten to remove funding for layabouts (rare, but happened occasionally).

In theory this shouldn't be a problem but 18 year old students away from home for the first time are generally not adults; they need a kick up the arse sometimes to sort their priorities out. If universities are a business, they can't do that, and everyone loses -- including the students themselves.

Reply to topic  [ 1076 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next