Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Game II Chat Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 22:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

With regards to the next game (and no offence to Craster, as he wasn't to know), I think this 'chat' thread is a really bad idea. Having one for dead people would be great (especially if the roles of the living are revealed in it), but the fact that people not in the game can still influence things is wrong, IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 22:47 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Grim... wrote:
With regards to the next game (and no offence to Craster, as he wasn't to know), I think this 'chat' thread is a really bad idea. Having one for dead people would be great (especially if the roles of the living are revealed in it), but the fact that people not in the game can still influence things is wrong, IMHO.

Yeah, I was a little uneasy more than once in here, and not just because someone kept trying to touch my bottom.

I think if there's to be an afterlife thread, there should be one without spoilers, too. It's fun playing in the background without knowing, I'd like to keep that option.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 22:49 
Legendary Boogeyman

My major problem with a dead thread is that dead people can't be prevented from telling live teammates what they've learned. I'd like to think we're all lovely and honest but you need to be whiter than white in games like this.

So perhaps a dead thread, yes, for chat, but no revealing of roles by the narrator and all dead people should be strongly encourage to keep their mouths shut.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 22:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

ComicalGnomes wrote:
My major problem with a dead thread is that dead people can't be prevented from telling live teammates what they've learned. I'd like to think we're all lovely and honest but you need to be whiter than white in games like this.

Huh, I never really considered that. Shame.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 22:54 
Sweet Potato

The whole idea of the town being able to post during night also removes one of the mafia's advantages, especially given we can talk with the entirity of the dead town. It's much more difficult when there's three townies left and nobody else to talk to than when you can just pop over here and discuss it with all the corpses.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 22:55 

ComicalGnomes wrote:
We're already running most of the game on trust anyway though. There is nothing stopping us from PMing each other or what not; I think I'm comfortable with people not wanting to ruin the game for themselves and others.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 22:57 
Legendary Boogeyman

Keep this thread then, but lets everyone but a little more regulated in our discussion. Personally I havne't felt influenced by anything said by anyone so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 22:58 
Sweet Potato

richardgaywood wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:
We're already running most of the game on trust anyway though. There is nothing stopping us from PMing each other or what not; I think I'm comfortable with people not wanting to ruin the game for themselves and others.

But with a thread like this existing it's not at all obvious what's allowed and what isn't- "Don't send PMs" is a pretty clear rule, where as I've no idea what's alright here and what's not.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 23:00 

I don't think it's so much that the line is blurry, nor that any of us want to break the rules, it's just we are all gagging for the start of day VI!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 23:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

But people who keep saying "I can't believe you still haven't lynched X" probably aren't in the 'alright' camp.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 0:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Addressing points in no salient order:

• Yes, if people rush to a lynch, it means the day ends early, possibly even without the lynchee getting to defend themselves. However, rushing a lynch is a vital scum tactic - people think the voting is fairly middle ground, perhaps 3 votes off a lynch, then suddenly *bam* the mafia or cult vote as one, tipping it over the line. That just doesn't work if people go "ooh, that went a bit fast, lets all unvote and deliberate this". It's supposed to simulate the actions of folk under real pressure. I'd like to put myself back in to mod game VI, if we're not all fed up of it by then, and I'll run a game with fixed deadlines, and we'll see what happens.
  • The scientist - badly thought out. Worked OK-ish for this game, but would need more thought for future games
  • Afterlife thread - excellent idea, if a bit fiddly to arrange. Will do some playing in the mod forum.
  • This chat thread - This mainly exists to stop people discussing the game in the main forum. I think it should still exist, but maybe more strictly enforced (ie. one warning then a modkill for current players, one warning then a ban from the next X games for non-players).
  • End of day V. I'll go do that, shall I?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 0:48 

Craster wrote:
Addressing points in no salient order:

[list][*]Yes, if people rush to a lynch, it means the day ends early, possibly even without the lynchee getting to defend themselves. However, rushing a lynch is a vital scum tactic - people think the voting is fairly middle ground, perhaps 3 votes off a lynch, then suddenly *bam* the mafia or cult vote as one, tipping it over the line. That just doesn't work if people go "ooh, that went a bit fast, lets all unvote and deliberate this". It's supposed to simulate the actions of folk under real pressure.

Yeah that's a damn good point, it hands a huge advantage to the townies.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 0:50 

How smug am I?

Why very smug, thanks for asking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 0:51 
Skillmeister

You very smelly man Mr Chris! Mafia my bum!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:03 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:

:this:

Basically, a subforum open to dead people and interested onlookers would be ace. One of the things I was kinda looking forward to was discussing things with dead people, so BAH to resurrection. And if you don't want to know extra information, don't look.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Dave wrote:
Grim... wrote:

:this:

Basically, a subforum open to dead people and interested onlookers would be ace. One of the things I was kinda looking forward to was discussing things with dead people, so BAH to resurrection. And if you don't want to know extra information, don't look.

Hmm - actually it would be easier to block current players from a thread than it would be to have a thread that only dead players can read/post in. We shall do it, for ze next game.

Hmm - only problem would be mods. We can sort something out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:07 
Skillmeister

Can I also have a whinge about the whole "If I'm [y], I'll buy you [x]! No really! I'm not [y] that much!" type posts, ruins the immersion and stuff. I like character acting in this one :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:09 
Paws for thought

Craster wrote:
Hmm - actually it would be easier to block current players from a thread than it would be to have a thread that only dead players can read/post in. We shall do it, for ze next game.

Hmm - only problem would be mods. We can sort something out.

So long as we can trust people not to have a second account to go and looksee.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:10 

Dimrill wrote:
Can I also have a whinge about the whole "If I'm [y], I'll buy you [x]! No really! I'm not [y] that much!" type posts, ruins the immersion and stuff. I like character acting in this one :D

I too think that's a bit shit and I think I said so at some point or another.

SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dimrill wrote:

You do? No-one would ever have noticed.

Edit - I think "In thread, in character" is a reasonable rule.

Excellent Member

RE: Pace

Perhaps a middle ground would be to have a 70% (or some other figure) majority needed for an instant lynch, but if the day ends without one a standard majority will do. It'll allow the Mafia/Cult to still tip things that are close with some effort but mean less people miss out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:12 
Paws for thought

That would just make it harder for the town to get a majority vote though. As it stands, it's already very easy for the mafia to sway a vote.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Dave wrote:
That would just make it harder for the town to get a majority vote though. As it stands, it's already very easy for the mafia to sway a vote.

That's just game balance though. <edited almost spilling the beans about the game in progress>. The advantage the mafia/cult have in working as a group should be directly offset by numbers or town power roles.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:20 
Paws for thought

Craster wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

That's just game balance though. <edited almost spilling the beans about the game in progress>. The advantage the mafia/cult have in working as a group should be directly offset by numbers or town power roles.

Yeah, just saying that it shouldn't go any further in that direction. It works well as it stands as you will have enough townies to get a lynch at least until the endgame.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:38 

The counter being increased smartness for townies, maybe extra roles, maybe some crippling of the other roles.

To be fair, so far the mafia won one game, because the townies were morons, this game isn't over.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:39 

The point being the townies aren't in need of help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:01 
Legendary Boogeyman

That bastard Chris, arguing his evil lawyer balls off, insisting he was lone mafia, trying to bargain his way out of the noose/cliff edge. Well, if he isn't just a big fat dead rotter now, haha!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:19 
Sleepyhead

Dudley wrote:
To be fair, so far the mafia won one game, because the townies were morons, this game isn't over.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it pretty much is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:22 
Excellent Member

Hi

Work seems to have done a wrong 'un on this site.

I can however get to this page.

I cant however read page 18 of this chat.

Can someone PM me the links to the forum that people who experience site blokcing at work can use as a work around?

THANKS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Curiosity wrote:

Not neccessarily.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:25 
Sleepyhead

Craster wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Not neccessarily.

Indeed. I might be mistaken.

But I can't see this lasting much longer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:17 
Legendary Boogeyman

I was hoping to wake up and find the day started, c'mon night people!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:33 

Same here. I want to go a-lynchin' already. To pass the time though, try reading back over Mr Chris's frantic wrigglings yesterday. They are awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:36 

Yeah I think he accused everyone of everything.

Amusingly, I'm not sure he was right once.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:37 
Excellent Member

anyone....please?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:38 

?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:10 
Legendary Boogeyman

I think whichever way this game ends up, we can agree it's been a fair bit more tantalising than the first one. I hope to excite you all with the wonders of Game 3.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You know you've been playing too much BETEO late night CoD4 when

Dimrill wrote:
*snorts out of doze*
Wuh?! I ';sfuckin watch dGzChap lass nigh and fkcing nuthin happen

makes perfect sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Day over, Cras :D

Soopah red DS

Oh dear. Is this over? That looked like a massed vote to me.

SupaMod
Est. 1978

JBR wrote:
Oh dear. Is this over? That looked like a massed vote to me.

Did it? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:25 
That Rev Chap

To me, too.

I am awaiting with baited breath what I guess could be the end of the game.

Soopah red DS

You cheeky little sausages.

I don't think you guys are right with your vote here, but hey, I just tried to post my reasoning in the thread and found it locked. Hey-ho!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

No, Gaywood is the last mafia guy, but I don't really care.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:26 

I'm pretty sure the cult just won and I picked the wrong random target. Dayumn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:27 
Soopah red DS

If what it looks like just happened has happened then - why would you, and nice one. Particularly liked the "Come on!". I for one welcome our new overlords.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:27 

GazChap wrote:
I don't think you guys are right with your vote here, but hey, I just tried to post my reasoning in the thread and found it locked. Hey-ho!

Oh I'm pretty certain we are.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:28 

I'd have gone with either Grim... or JBR personally, one of them's the leader.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:28 

Dudley wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Oh I'm pretty certain we are.

Well yes, cultists excepted.

Reply to topic  [ 683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next