Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: whoops
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 13:48 
Esoteric

KovacsC wrote:
It is not brainwashing it is an opinion...

Those that use both PC & consoles have given a balanced argument..

It is what people prefer to use.. isn't it?

An opinion?

"Hey everyone, my Ford Fiesta kicks seven bells out of a Ferrari"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 13:48 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Quote:
where do console owners think their games come from? the coding fairies at the end of the garden?

Well it is certainly not from people that fuck up bios, with badly programmed hex :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 13:50 
UltraMod

If that Microsoft executive said that, then he needs a good kicking and then sacking. If people stopped releasing games for Windows, what would be the point of having a Windows PC any longer? Surely everyone would just switch to a Mac or Linux.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 13:50 
Esoteric

KovacsC wrote:
Quote:
where do console owners think their games come from? the coding fairies at the end of the garden?

Well it is certainly not from people that fuck up bios, with badly programmed hex :)

Yes that's about as funny as a trip to Guantanamo bay.

*yawns* can't you even think up something original?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 13:53 
baron of techno

JohnCoffey wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
It is not brainwashing it is an opinion...

Those that use both PC & consoles have given a balanced argument..

It is what people prefer to use.. isn't it?

An opinion?

"Hey everyone, my Ford Fiesta kicks seven bells out of a Ferrari"

Hmm, but what if you don't care how nice it looks or how powerful it is and only care that it does the job of taking and your mates out for an excellent evening? I'd choose the Fiesta, as you can fit 5 people in it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 13:55 

Nice work JC, your comments are making me want to actually hate PC gaming as opposed to just prefer the 360 most of the time.

Esoteric

myp wrote:
If that Microsoft executive said that, then he needs a good kicking and then sacking. If people stopped releasing games for Windows, what would be the point of having a Windows PC any longer? Surely everyone would just switch to a Mac or Linux.

Why would he need sacking? he's just being honest. It's business. So as much as he's an asshole and all that he's just being honest.

Not like Bill Gates has never been caught trying to monopolise is it?

M$'s entire business strategy is to dominate and monopolise. And that's always been the way it is. Why would they run their console business any other way?

Consoles are all about exclusives. Nothing has ever been done from one console to another that could not be done on a PC and done better. That's why consoles sell.

So if your argument was are consoles more popular ? then yes, they are. But to say they are better is fucking plankish. Seriously. To be better needs to actually be better . And that's an argument you will never win. A console has never, ever been better than the latest PC in terms of technology and never will. That's why they can be mass marketted for £300 or so where as the latest PC hardware (at extreme levels) can run you 7 grand.

If consoles were truly 'better' noone would own PCs any more.

myp wrote:

Microsoft office etc.... there would still be a large business sales..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 13:56 
Esoteric

markg wrote:
Nice work JC, your comments are making me want to actually hate PC gaming as opposed to just prefer the 360 most of the time.

What's the matter? So I give what I get and people don't like it?

Shame that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 13:58 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

JohnCoffey wrote:
Riles wrote:
Serious on-topic question for JC (Assuming that this is now the topic).

Of gamers who buy on average one or more games per month, what percentage do you think pay as much attention to the level detail of graphics that you do? As it appears that any other argument between PC/Console gaming has been cancelled out - this is the one area where you genuinely feel PC gaming has the upper hand. Because I think that this percentage is very low, hence not justifying the investment (and matching piracy risk) for developers. Thats why Consoles will always win.

Quote:
IMO if someone buys more than one game a month they are not paying enough attention to anything, let alone the games. As I have said before it's not just about prettier graphics. Further draw distances, more physics, more effects. In the end they change a game completely.

So, someone say, who buys 4 games a year? Not a viable market to target. And you failed to answer the question as to how many people have this level of interest.

Quote:
As for consoles winning? There is no comparisson. Don't be fooled into thinking that you can be on the winning side of that argument. Did the 360 beat the ps3? absolutely. Did it beat the Wii? absolutely. If you truly think you can take an underpowered PC in a small white box and put it up against something with twenty to thirty times the power? As they say in NY Fugeddaboudit.

If the 360 'wins' as you put it the dumb fucking thing would have cut it's own throat. Seriously, where do console owners think their games come from? the coding fairies at the end of the garden?

I don't give a shit who 'wins'. I have a wii, a 360 and a PC which I play some old Sim games on. I know that my 360 is already 'old' hardware, I know that I'll have to buy something new in 3-4 years time. But I don't have to change parts to play any game ever made on that format. I'll venture that 90% of PC gamers have never even been inside their carcass, nor would they know what to do if they did. Thats the vast majority of the market who want the easy option.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 13:59 

JohnCoffey wrote:
markg wrote:

What's the matter? So I give what I get and people don't like it?

Shame that.
I think it's more that you seemingly stomp your feet and swear a lot without taking the time to take on board the actual comments people have made and instead argue against what you imagine they have said.

Not to have a pop at you JC, as you are clearly mad as a bucket of frogs..

but don't MS own and produce bothe Windows and the XBOX so it is in there intrest to produce games for both platforms?

Hibernating Druid

I reckon we'll be seeing bold and caps soon.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:00 
baron of techno

RIGHT, can we all just take a moment and have a nice cup of tea and a biscuit?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:01 
UltraMod

kalmar wrote:
RIGHT, can we all just take a moment and have a nice cup of tea and a biscuit?

Shut the fuck up, kalmar.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:06 
Paws for thought

JohnCoffey wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Well, a few thoughts:

1) JC was indeed talking bollocks about devs only not developing games for PCs as MS had brainwashed users (And not sony, for instance)

How can it be bollocks when they have interviewed a business manager from Microsoft Europe and he has basically openly admitted to not wanting coders to release games on the PC because it loses them money?

You didn't read a thing I said, did you? MS doesn't make the choice of whether a game gets released on the PC or not. That is entirely down to the pushlishers and/or developers. They may have a preference, but that doesn't necessarily make it so. Sony would dearly love all games to only be released on the PS3. Does that happen? No it doesn't. The only way they can manage it is by paying the developers, usually by publishing the game. There are all kinds of things people want, doesn't mean they get them.

Quote:
Any way, my comment about why the PC market has been stifled by m$ and users being brainwashed were seperate entities. If you can't see why I think console/esp 360 owners are brainwashed then you're either so far up the 360's arse you are blinded or, you are blind.

Look back over every single argument on here over pc vs 360. Look where it began. It began with one of Billy boy's disciples coming along to preach to me how ace console gaming was compared to PC gaming. Deluded, poor creatures who saw PC gaming as a complete evil because it was too much aggro, you needed an expensive PC etc.

And if you can't see the irony, then it's entirely worthless.

And I've given numerous examples of the kind of aggro I've had from PC games. I must've been imagining it.

Quote:
How many of those have loaded up a modern PC game on a modern PC lately?

Err, me?
In case you haven't realised by now, I'm slightly more involved than just someone who plays games.

Quote:
Part of the reason why I think people are brainwashed is simply because the 360 was the best of the latest console war. I'm not denying that. However, it's absolutely ridiculous when the 360 crowd reach such a euphoric state about how well their console has done against other consoles that they would be brave enough to argue that their console is better than a PC for gaming. Is it fuck, basically. What's even more brainwashed is people are banging out these statements without actually looking at a modern PC game or comparing the two.

In the current generation, the differences between Console gaming and PC gaming are about as small as they have ever been, so modernity has very little to do with it.

Quote:
It's kinda like me saying how much better a Lamborghini is than a Ferrari only ever having driven the Lambo. That is brainwashed IMO.

Again, the irony. It's almost stifling. Someone who owns all of the current gaming machines being told by someone who only owns one that he's brainwashed because he's come to an informed choice. Yes, really.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

JohnCoffey wrote:
Did it beat the Wii? absolutely.

8)

The Wii outsold the PS3 and the 360 put together. And the DS has sold more than all three, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:12 
UltraMod

I think this thread is the most aptly-titled one JC has ever created.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:14 
INFINITE POWAH

Frankly, I think JC is worth his weight in gold Alienware parts.

Am giggling lots.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:15 
Esoteric

I'd just like to point something out here.

I'm constantly told consoles are better than PCs. I do not go around rubbishing consoles. This shit has gone on from the moment I got here, it's not just me either.

So I usually take one of two options.

1. Just say nothing.
2. Try and be polite about the whole thing and state my reasons for preferring gaming on the PC.

Either are pretty defensive actions. You know? non aggressive things that keep things ticking along nicely.

However, I'm fucking sick of it now. I'm tired of being mobbed by what appears to be a crowd of brainwashed individuals. That's how it seems to me because I cannot even begin to explain how many fucking times I have bitten my lip and let the console krew talk shit about how consoles are better and just leave it. The problem, of course, is that every time I have backed out of the argument it's seen as another victory so every time I dare to speak about PC gaming it happens over and over. I explained my reasons for preferring PC gaming. Cue the multi-quote replies telling me why I am wrong. I'm tired of the bullshit.

When the whole Spectrum vs Everything argument went down at school in the fucking playground I did the same. Stayed out of it. I liked my Spectrum but there was no way in hell I would ever declare it better than a C64. Maybe the Spectrum was more popular due to it's price and maybe I was on a larger 'side' but I would never have been so blatantly dumb to say it was better than the C64. Just like the ST wasn't better than the Amiga.

The C64 was so technically superior that it was laughable. It did things, and games, that the spectrum could not do. Sure it could imitate what the C64 was doing but it had no fucking chance of even coming close, let alone technically outdoing the C64 as a whole.

Just in the same way that consoles are vastly inferior to a state of the art gaming PC system. They are, it's fact. How many consoles have 4 GPUs strapped together with 4gb of memory between them? It's fact.

Bottom line? we would all have top spec PCs if we could afford to keep up. We don't. That's just a fact of life. Just in the same way that we would all drive brand new ferraris if we could. We can't though. But to sit and talk (basically) shit on Ferraris because of that is stupid and pointless.

The console may have many, many things on it's side. Support, favoritism, popularity and so on. That I totally agree with. Maybe a lot of this is down to personality? I don't like being in groups and I don't like following trend. I don't conform and I do what I am happy with doing, listening to music I like listening to and not getting into crowds. And that's probably the underlying reason why I don't have a console and don't want one. Something being popular does not make it better.

Just like the jammy cunt at school who had the Amiga when it released when others were still pressing rubber buttons on their spectrums. Sure, the poor cunt didn't stand a chance at school but there wasn't a single fucking person in the playground who wouldn't have switched places with the cunt in a heartbeat. Why? because the Amiga was simply an incredible piece of kit.

So to that ends I am pretty fucking sick of people rubbishing PC gaming because it is simply that. Why they do it? fuck knows. Maybe they like being in a crowd joining in for the melee, maybe they truly are brainwashed and think that the console really is a better piece of kit than a high end gaming computer? as I say I don't fucking know. TBH, I don't really care either. I know for a fact that a high specced gaming computer takes a shit on any game console you put in front of it.

So tbh there's really no point in arguing over it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:17 
baron of techno

JohnCoffey wrote:
I would never have been so blatantly dumb to say [the speccy] was better than the C64. Just like the ST wasn't better than the Amiga.

I agree with JC, 100%.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:17 

I think Myp and JC should set up a computer repairing business... :DD

I only play games on my PC, as I don't have a console yet, so it is not mob rule on here at all..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:18 
INFINITE POWAH

JohnCoffey wrote:
I'd just like to point something out here.

... I do not go around rubbishing consoles.

You've told us we've all been brainwashed by "M$" into thinking they're better, though.

There's some quite severe cognitive dissonance going on here; that or you're being deliberately silly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:18 

Grim... wrote:
The Wii outsold the PS3 and the 360 put together. And the DS has sold more than all three, I think.
That was pretty good for an off the cuff remark! According to VGCharts:

53.6M Wii
32.3M 360
24.8M PS3
111.1M DS
51.9M PSPs

Difficult to estimate how many gaming PCs might have been bought in the same period.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:19 
Esoteric

Grim... wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

8)

The battle isn't over to be fair Grim. It's the long term that's going to count.

And yes, won't argue about the DS at all. Just like the GBA it's head of it's class.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:20 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Difficult to estimate how many gaming PCs might have been bought in the same period.

Christ, let's not start an argument about what constitutes a "gaming pc", Gaywood. Careful now.

EDIT - possibly too late. You bastard.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:21 
Esoteric

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

53.6M Wii
32.3M 360
24.8M PS3
111.1M DS
51.9M PSPs

Most Pcs now are not strictly gaming computers but can run games. If not then it's a simple matter of buying a GPU. I've not seen a motherboard now for a good couple of years that doesn't have a PCIE port. Where as on the shit old boards most didn't even have an AGP slot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

JohnCoffey wrote:
Grim... wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

8)

The battle isn't over to be fair Grim. It's the long term that's going to count.

8)
Again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:22 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

53.6M Wii
32.3M 360
24.8M PS3
111.1M DS
51.9M PSPs

Prob a lot more, as it is not just home users that buy PCs, if you include the business market there would be a lot more I think.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:24 
Unpossible!

I have nothing to add to this discussion expect my neutrality.

I hope it helps.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:24 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

53.6M Wii
32.3M 360
24.8M PS3
111.1M DS
51.9M PSPs

To JCs spec? 9.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:26 
baron of techno

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I guess you can judge the size of the market by the games sales though, and how many of the larger titles appear for it. When the Amiga was on the way out as a gaming machine, that was the main indicator for most people.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:27 

You can guess the number of legitimate users that way, I reckon a high proportion of PC gamers never buy games though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

kalmar wrote:
I guess you can judge the size of the market by the games sales though, and how many of the larger titles appear for it. When the Amiga was on the way out as a gaming machine, that was the main indicator for most people.

Piracy complicates things, though.

Well, let's start simply. I have a gaming PC. Who else?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:28 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:

Me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:28 
Sitting balls-back folder

JohnCoffey wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
JC was indeed talking bollocks about devs only not developing games for PCs as MS had brainwashed users (And not sony, for instance)
How can it be bollocks when they have interviewed a business manager from Microsoft Europe and he has basically openly admitted to not wanting coders to release games on the PC because it loses them money?
Those are entirely independent statements. "A business manager from Microsoft Europe" is not "all game developers."
JohnCoffey wrote:
It began with one of Billy boy's disciples coming along to preach to me how ace console gaming was compared to PC gaming. Deluded, poor creatures
If you can't stop insulting and belittling everyone who happens to prefer ease of use and not spending enormous wodges of cash to get an extra fps or pixel of resolution, just fuck off, will you?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:29 

MrDavPaz wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Me.
I do, although I actually have bought nearly all the games I've played on it this time around.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:29 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Grim... wrote:
kalmar wrote:

If you're going to use this forum as a representative sample, I'm going all Bad Science on your ass.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:30 

Mr Chris wrote:
EDIT - possibly too late. You bastard.
Hi5!

JohnCoffey wrote:
Most Pcs now are not strictly gaming computers but can run games. If not then it's a simple matter of buying a GPU.
There's no useful definition here I think. Whilst what you say is true enough, I think you'd agree it's quite rare; most PCs never play anything beyond Solitaire and Bejewelled.

It'd be more useful (and interesting) to look at games sales to try and gauge the sizes of the relative markets. Take Batman; how many units did it sell on different platforms? I lack time to google something like that. I will note, however, the long-term trend of PC-only development houses (id, Valve, Crytek) moving to targetting consoles and PCs on an equal footing. That tells you something.

Grim... wrote:
Me.

EvilTrousers

JohnCoffey wrote:
I know for a fact that a high specced gaming computer takes a shit on any game console you put in front of it.

So tbh there's really no point in arguing over it.

Faster ≠ better.

Just ask my wife.

INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
You can guess the number of legitimate users that way, I reckon a high proportion of PC gamers never buy games though.

You think? I've never pirated a game ever. Except Oblivion, which Cras gave me a copy of, and which I then didn't bother playing past an hour in 'cos it was shit.

A great deal of that is to do with not torrentzorring, though, I suppose.

HOWEVER, I'd guess the "casual" (i.e. mainstream, 95% of) PC gamers are far more likely to buy their games than people who own Gaming PCsTM, so it's probably a fair indicator of the size of the market.

Grim... wrote:
Me.

Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
kalmar wrote:

Me.

(ALthough it doesn't have LEDs and shizzle)

Meh

Me (and I know how to use it).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:31 
INFINITE POWAH

I play games on my PC, so me. I have the highest specced PC of 2001.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:33 

Grim... wrote:

Me

Would a poll help?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:34 
EvilTrousers

If this ends up being a benchmark result thread I am going to weep.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

KovacsC wrote:
Would a poll help?

Are you suggesting that this isn't scientific enough?

I could just go and dig through some data here, of course, but where's the fun?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:35 

Mr Chris wrote:
markg wrote:

You think? I've never pirated a game ever. Except Oblivion, which Cras gave me a copy of, and which I then didn't bother playing past an hour in 'cos it was shit.

A great deal of that is to do with not torrentzorring, though, I suppose.

HOWEVER, I'd guess the "casual" (i.e. mainstream) PC gamers are far more likely to buy their games than people who own Gaming PCsTM, so it's probably a fair indicator of the size of the market.

I think a lot of PC gamers are hobbyists as well though, they refer to their computers as rigs and pull them apart all the time. These people know how trivially easy it is to not pay for PC games and so many of them don't. To be brutally honest if it weren't for the fact that MS have it so well sewn up lots of people on here wouldn't be paying for 360 games.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trousers wrote:
If this ends up being a benchmark result thread I am going to weep.

Because that would be worse?

Reply to topic  [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next