And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: whoops
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 15:58 
Gogmagog

Malabar Front wrote:
markg wrote:
The worst offenders are people who read those computer magazines, the ones that constantly run articles with "ten top tips to optimise Windows" and have coverdisks with crappy bits of software that seem to randomly delete system files to speed things up. I'm thinking of my other half's dad here, mainly.

Christ, yes. My mum's partner seems to spend most of his time on the computer attempting to make it run quicker, inevitably involving the installation of tonnes of shit or defragmenting the hard disk over and over. Trying to explain the error of his ways is so fruitless everybody's stopped bothering.

The father of an ex of mine showed me his defrag report once.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 15:59 
Skillmeister

I am the furthest from brainwashed you can get. The simple fact is that I was a PC gamer for over 10 years, who simply got fed up of buying a brand new PC's worth of innards every 6 months to be able to play games. My Speccy lasted 8+ years of use, my Amiga even longer. And neither required me to spend the cost of them again on add-ons.

You're entitled to your opinion on the whole PC-console matter, but by fucking christ that stinks so much of finger pointing of "why PC gaming is dying".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:01 
Esoteric

Craster wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
m$ have openly admitted how they would rather people not release PC versions of their games along side the console ones as they will lose money.

This I don't doubt. The ludicrous bit is your assertion that people are buying these games because they've been brainwashed into something, rather than because they find it a more enjoyable gaming experience.

Not being funny but how many people come running along to preach to me about how shit PC gaming is and to get a 360?

Like, seriously. Think about all the times I have had people trying to drum that into me.

Has their scheme worked? Fuck aye, I think so !

I wouldn't even mind, but the 'dog with a bone' obsessiveness console owners suffer from, with the delusions spell out to me just how well m$ have brainwashed console owners. I don't ever see PC gamers carrying on like that. I've only ever given my reasons for preferring PC games when grilled about getting a 360.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:01 
Skillmeister

Dude, Chinny hasn't even got a post 2002 console :DD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:02 
Gogmagog

Craster wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
m$ have openly admitted how they would rather people not release PC versions of their games along side the console ones as they will lose money.

This I don't doubt. The ludicrous bit is your assertion that people are buying these games because they've been brainwashed into something, rather than because they find it a more enjoyable gaming experience.

XBox games are better than PC games as you're sat in the living room with a big telly and the kitchen is nearby so you don't have to walk down teh stairs to get MOAR BEER and you can look out teh front window to see if the wife's coming home and you're meant to have done stuff.

PC games are a ballache of epic proportions getting the settings correct to run something at a reasonable frame rate, patch after patch and massive HDD space required, played in the spare room, miles from the kitchen and with no warning of the wife returning, unless the windows are open to hear the car, then the neighbours can hear you playing video fucking games, which you can't even play with your mates when they are around due to the interface.

To sumamrise:

San Dimas High school football rules!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:03 
baron of techno

John are you wanting an Xbox Live sub code? I ordered an extra one and kept it back for ya ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:03 
Chinny chin chin

JohnCoffey wrote:
No, Microsoft have talked gaming companies into only releasing on the console so that they/m$ make more money. It's a simple philosophy really. What you do is create a game console out of an old PC and cram it all into a small white box, then you brainwash people into thinking it's actually better than playing games on a PC. .

Hmm, lets think about this.

Console - Put DVD in machine, wait, play game in the comfort of your living room. Game just works at the expense of slightly lower quality graphics.

PC - Put DVD in machine, install, get refused as your spec doesn't match the requirements, order more memory, wait for delivery, install memory, swear at PC when you cut yourself on case, reboot, reinstall, wait 2 hours, activate game online, then load up game (having to put the DVD in the drive despite the fact you installed it).

Then find the game runs but the framerate is like a donkey running through treacle so you need a new GFX card.

All in the comfort of your desk.

Personally I can't see why all those people shun PC gaming in favour of consoles, oh no.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:04 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

JohnCoffey wrote:
Not being funny but how many people come running along to preach to me about how shit PC gaming is and to get a 360?

Like, seriously. Think about all the times I have had people trying to drum that into me.

So, if I have a turd in one hand, and a diamond in the other, then I get a hundred people to come and tell you how brilliant the diamond is and how rubbish the turd is, you'll assume they're brainwashed and go for the turd?

Skillmeister

I'm just sorting though my pre-2007 email to find any emails from Microsoft urging me to buy their console. Nope, can't find one. Maybe they embedded flashing nano-second subliminal images on other websites when they talked all website owners into doing that.

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Er, Chinny - Some console games need installing nowadays, and almost all of them update when you first load them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:05 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Er, Chinny - Some console games need installing nowadays, and almost all of them update when you first load them.

Not any of the ones Chinny plays :D

Craster wrote:

So, if I have a turd in one hand, and a diamond in the other, then I get a hundred people to come and tell you how brilliant the diamond is and how rubbish the turd is, you'll assume they're brainwashed and go for the turd?

:this: :this: :this:

Chinny chin chin

Dimrill wrote:
Dude, Chinny hasn't even got a post 2002 console :DD

I have a PS2, somewhere. Think I leant it to the inlaws.

I might get a PC for gaming. Well I say a PC for gaming, a mini PC that just has emulators on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:06 
baron of techno

And also you need to leave the DVD in the drive. The 360 is an annoying bag of crap at times, but is still clearly wildly better for the purpose of playing games on than a PC ever will be.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:07 
Chinny chin chin

Grim... wrote:

You do know that I could barely tell you what a PS3 looks like don't you?

JohnCoffey wrote:
No, Microsoft have talked gaming companies into only releasing on the console so that they/m$ make more money.
Are you sure it's not that it's easier to develop for a console because you don't need to worry about hardware incompatibilities rather than some huge conspiracy? I mean of course Xbox want people to make games for their console so they can maximise their profits, but at the same time it's in Microsoft's best interests that people keep making games that require Windows.

Chinny chin chin

Is this a PS3?

Gogmagog

WullieOoster wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
No, Microsoft have talked gaming companies into only releasing on the console so that they/m$ make more money.
Are you sure it's not that it's easier to develop for a console because you don't need to worry about hardware incompatibilities rather than some huge conspiracy? I mean of course Xbox want people to make games for their console so they can maximise their profits, but at the same time it's in Microsoft's best interests that people keep making games that require Windows.

Silent Hunter 2010 just got canned...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:08 
baron of techno

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Grim... wrote:

It's like that thing out of Space 2001 with the monkeys and the bones and stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Maybe you should get one.
You remember how much you didn't want an iPhone and now you're gay for Steve Jobs?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:10 
baron of techno

Also, John, if you hate M$ so much, why do you persist in buying and using their god-awful OS on increasingly creaky agglomerations of hardware? Wouldn't it me more consistent to use, I dunno, OS X or Linux or something?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Actually, that's a good point (that I made). Why don't you get a 360 / PS3, Chinny? They you could play with us.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:11 
baron of techno

Yes, get a 360 Chinny!

Gogmagog

I have a 360 and rarely play with you.

Did I mention my new computer?

Meh

I would like to say that this whole you have to buy a PC every 6 months to play games argument is utter tosh. I buy a new PC every 5 years or so and have had no problems with playing games at any point. If I have to turn down the settings on a newer game then I do so but I still enjoy playing the game.

You do not have to be running everything at full ultra resolutions with all the effects turned on to play a game.

The same principle applies with consoles, you don't have to buy a new one to enjoy the latest resolutions or effects because the developer simply turns them off for you.

Esoteric

Craster wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

So next year your console will be able to do 6000x5650 over triple monitors?

I've posted the serious downfalls to console gaming before. Oddly noone replied as it was a complete whitewash.

I'm still playing Fallout 3 because I have about 200 DLC at my disposal. All free, all awesome (Especially the vault 7x mod).

I know full well the differences between console games and PC games and their technical prowess. That's why I don't own a console. I don't need to repeatedly remind people of that because I don't feel the need. It seems console owners, however, do.

Why is that? Sure it's less hassle but then anyone who likes fucking around on computers actually enjoys those hassles.

PC gaming is like sex when you're married. It doesn't happen very often but when it does it's better than anything, ever.

BTW, how good is the NeoTokyo mod for Half Life 2? oh wait....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:12 

Dimrill wrote:
I'm just sorting though my pre-2007 email to find any emails from Microsoft urging me to buy their console. Nope, can't find one. Maybe they embedded flashing nano-second subliminal images on other websites when they talked all website owners into doing that.

I can sell you some special sunglasses that let you see the truth, but I warn you once you do there's no going back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:13 
Skillmeister

kalmar wrote:
Also, John, if you hate M$ so much, why do you persist in buying and using their god-awful OS on increasingly creaky agglomerations of hardware? Wouldn't it me more consistent to use, I dunno, OS X or Linux or something?

Nah, the devs behind Linux had a massive meeting and got the games developers to write games for the Gizmondo. Killed the Linux gaming community, that did.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:13 
baron of techno

markg wrote:

Hah, I love that film :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:14 
Chinny chin chin

Grim... wrote:
Actually, that's a good point. Why don't you get a 360 / PS3, Chinny? They you could play with us.

Possibly one day soon. But I'm not having you groom me on one of those audio chat things.

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Nemmie wrote:
I would like to say that this whole you have to buy a PC every 6 months to play games argument is utter tosh. I buy a new PC every 5 years or so and have had no problems with playing games at any point. If I have to turn down the settings on a newer game then I do so but I still enjoy playing the game.

You do not have to be running everything at full ultra resolutions with all the effects turned on to play a game.

The same principle applies with consoles, you don't have to buy a new one to enjoy the latest resolutions or effects because the developer simply turns them off for you.

To be fair, everything most people have said in this thread about PC gaming is utter tosh, so far.

Esoteric

Craster wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

If you chose the 360? sure. Because it's a turd.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:16 
Esoteric

kalmar wrote:

Because PC games are released on m$ winblows. Sad but true. I have installed Linux many times in all different flavours and, owned macs (I did $2000 on one of those lampshade all in ones once) and whilst both are fucking great they both suffer with the "ooo ! let's play this game or load up that software... oh fuck, doesn't work here" syndrome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:18 
Chinny chin chin

Grim... wrote:

To be fair, everything most people have said in this thread about PC gaming is utter tosh, so far.

I disagree.

Lack of choice (have you looked in Game recently, you are looking at a selection on-par with the Speccy/C64 in 1992).

Fiddly to install.

Many games require ridiculous hardware specs.

The PC is often located away from a living room whereas your console will be in a living room and hooked up to a PC.

Classified.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:19 
Gogmagog

It's got a 40 Gig hard drive...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:20 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The point is, everyone understands that PC gaming is better than console gaming in some respects, and that console gaming is better than PC gaming in others. To claim that the success of console gaming is down to some secret Microsoft brainwashing conspiracy (and by inference, that all of us are gullible morons) is quite clearly nonsense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:20 
Gogmagog

No one wnats to know about my new computer, do they?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:21 
Skillmeister

What Craster said. I'd never even consider playing an RTS or MMO on a console.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:22 
baron of techno

JohnCoffey wrote:
they both suffer with the "ooo ! let's play this game or load up that software... oh fuck, doesn't work here" syndrome.

But that's true of all PCs, no matter what the OS. You're continually going to be challenged by lack of some upgrade, hardware or software. That's why I have a console - it's a consistent thing, press the button and it does shit. I certainly wouldn't put up with Windows just for the privilege of playing games at my desk (when I want to play them on the sofa anyway).
Life's too short mate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:23 
Esoteric

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I disagree.

Lack of choice (have you looked in Game recently, you are looking at a selection on-par with the Speccy/C64 in 1992).

Fiddly to install.

The PC is often located away from a living room whereas your console will be in a living room and hooked up to a PC.

Classified.

When was the last time you gamed on a PC dude, seriously?

Hardware development has slowed. Even hardware manus are getting seriously caught out now. Basically ATI released the Radeon 5870 last week after so much hyperbole you needed a hefty dose of sodium chloride to take it in. However, when released it was quickly discovered that it costs as much as a Geforce 295 and... Isn't as fucking fast. haha !

And the 295 has been around how long now? more than a year?

I brought my 280 a while ago now. It's been around for about a year and a half (if not more) and can and will run everything you throw at it on max. And, from the previews I have seen and read for the next entire year I know I am very well covered, simply as all the new games coming use existing engines (because of how superior they are).

My E4500 Core 2 was a budget chip in 2006. It still runs everything you could throw at it (though not on max settings but those are for idiots like me any way).

Three years is the expectancy now. Hardware manus are simply releasing new hardware as a cash in to lure people in. Funny part is it's nothing more than what was already out there with a new name and a higher clock speed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:23 

MaliA wrote:
:?:
JohnCoffey wrote:
...mods
Aye, in my eyes that's the one advantage PC games have over consoles (well, that & Defcon :) ), better resolutions & stuff thankfully don't really do it for me. Otherwise I wouldn't spend as much time as I do playing old games on emulators :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:25 
Gogmagog

WullieOoster wrote:
MaliA wrote:
:?:

Games that require windows.

Silent Hunter being a submarine simulat-(never mind - Ed)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Agreed, Wullie. However, it's not an unsurmountable technical issue for the latest generation of consoles, either. I'd expect there to be a real focus on ability to distribute user-generated content in the next generation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:26 
Isn't that lovely?

Craster wrote:
Agreed, Wullie. However, it's not an unsurmountable technical issue for the latest generation of consoles, either. I'd expect there to be a real focus on ability to distribute user-generated content in the next generation.

But who is going to generate that content if everyone has a console and no gaming pc?

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:27 

Grim... wrote:
That's not how it works though, you never let the truth get in the way of a good the same old argument ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:27 
Gogmagog

I'M GETTING A NEW PC TODAY!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:28 
Isn't that lovely?

MaliA wrote:

I'M GETTING A NEW PC TODAY!

She has to wear that claw, otherwise she'd float away.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I disagree.

Rubbish. 91 pages of "coming soon" games for the PC on Amazon. 86 for PS3, 92 for 360 and 100 for the Wii. So, you know, not much in it.

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Fiddly to install.

Rubbish. I can't remember the last time I had any trouble with a PC game. Put game in, choose 'install', wait, play. Much the same as a PS3, to be honest.

chinnyhill10 wrote:

Rubbish. 99% of games actually allow you to scale things down so they will run. You can't play Xbox 360 games on an Xbox, can you?

chinnyhill10 wrote:

Rubbish. You can set things up in your house how you like. Myp's 360 is in his spare bedroom, for example. My PC is in my living room, and can use my TV as a forth monitor. That way I can play awesome MAME games with my 360 controller, on my PC.

Quote:
Classified.

I work for Dick Jones! DICK JONES!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:29 
Esoteric

kalmar wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
they both suffer with the "ooo ! let's play this game or load up that software... oh fuck, doesn't work here" syndrome.

But that's true of all PCs, no matter what the OS. You're continually going to be challenged by lack of some upgrade, hardware or software. That's why I have a console - it's a consistent thing, press the button and it does shit. I certainly wouldn't put up with Windows just for the privilege of playing games at my desk (when I want to play them on the sofa anyway).
Life's too short mate.

I went though all this a little while ago. I don't game enough to warrant buying a console. The PC has more than enough titles to keep me gaming. That's aside from all the other options I have on it (emulation anyone?).

I also have an enormous back catalogue of old games which all work on the PC. GOG? shit, I own most of what they sell lol.

Thing is, when a killer app is released on the PC it really is just that. When was the last time a console had a killer app? And if you say Halo 3 I will shoot you :D

What it comes down to is a case of each to their own. I fully understand and accept that philosophy. However, I have duly noticed how console owners are like Jehovahs witnesses and just want to continually go on and on and on about getting one and why it's better than a PC.

Fact is, of course, it's not better than PC gaming in any way . Well, at least not techincally where console game's gameplay actually sufffers sometimes due to it's inferiority (and yes I have pointed this all out, it seemed to be very calming because noone argued it when I laid out the facts).

The only thing console gaming has on it's side is ease of use. And PC gaming, trust me, is a lot less hassle than console owners think. It's 20 mins before you start playing in most cases (securom etc aside but that's easily side stepped).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:32 
Skillmeister

Since when did this come down to "which is better"? The original argument was "Microsoft organised developers to not develop for the PC".

Reply to topic  [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next