Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: PC Gaming hardware / Alienware deals (was OMG)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 15:09 
Unpossible!

Dingo Venereal Disease

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 15:12 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Dodgy Vurtual DoDa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 15:50 

I've had enough of you fuckers. I go to a meeting for an hour and you still haven't proclaimed me right. I'm going to form my own forum. With blackjack. And hookers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 15:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

See, we're just bored of telling myp he's wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:11 
UltraMod

I got bored of telling you you're a twat ages ago. :luv:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:22 
Paws for thought

devilman wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Kovacs Caprios wrote:
edit.. can you get a mouse and keyboard for the xbox, out of interest?

Any USB keyboard will work on a 360, but no games come with controls through them -AFAIK it would be allowed, but only if a keyboard wasn't required. However, things with mouse control, if hacked in, wouldn't pass certification.

It was frustrating to find that even that Crossword XBLA game didn't support a keyboard. Yes, it would give an advantage when you're against the clock but perhaps they could have different leaderboards dependent on control method used?

Just checked to make sure I'm right, and yes, it's perfectly possible for XNA games to use keyboard as input. There should be no reason for a crossword game not to, given community games have no certification, there should be nothing to stop that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:23 
Comfortably Dumb

Mr Dave wrote:
devilman wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Kovacs Caprios wrote:
edit.. can you get a mouse and keyboard for the xbox, out of interest?

Any USB keyboard will work on a 360, but no games come with controls through them -AFAIK it would be allowed, but only if a keyboard wasn't required. However, things with mouse control, if hacked in, wouldn't pass certification.

It was frustrating to find that even that Crossword XBLA game didn't support a keyboard. Yes, it would give an advantage when you're against the clock but perhaps they could have different leaderboards dependent on control method used?

Just checked to make sure I'm right, and yes, it's perfectly possible for XNA games to use keyboard as input. There should be no reason for a crossword game not to, given community games have no certification, there should be nothing to stop that.

It's not an XNA game though. I think it's by Konami.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:24 
Paws for thought

I agree with the Gaywood, at least.

(So.... actual PC hardware, rather than semantics)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:30 
Esoteric

It was digital versatile disc.

Any way. Last night I got another virus.. Reason being I have a lot of old games by Razor1911 and I didn't run a virus scanner at the time. Got one called Virut worm which infects every exe you launch. Avast did catch it, but I chose to ignore it figuring the cracked exe for the game (Juiced 2 HIN) was a macro.

Bad error. Lost windows.

Sooo, Nemmie will be pleased to know that I have managed to get the Alienware vista fully installed and running perfectly. Here's how I did it.

Install the DVD that came with the PC. Then DISABLE AUTOMATIC UPDATES. That is what was causing the P.C to crawl. It was trying to download and install in excess of 2gb worth of updates.

Then, installed my wireless NIC, went to m$ and downloaded sp1 for Vista. Got, installed (its about 450mb to dl) and didn't try to do anything with the P.C until it was done. Once done I then installed the graphics driver supplied by my vendor on CD. It's older than the latest forceware, but, the latest forceware drivers caused my system to BSOD. Good old Nvidia ! 8)

Once done I installed Alienguise (see pic) and a few small apps I use and then installed Acronis True Image 11. Then simply created an acronis custom boot cd and imaged my machine all spiffing and lovely onto 3 dvds. Job done. Now in about 30 mins I can completely respawn (see what I did there?) my PC with no more installing stuff. Sweet.

Sadly I fear that a lot of the games I have downloaded will not be clean.. I don't have many, namely NFSU, NFSU 2, NFSMWC, Juiced 2 and GOW.

BTW. When I show you lot GOW on DX10 @ 1680x1050 you will see why I do not want a 360.

On the subject of 360s. Whilst I understand that they are good capable gaming machines I am simply not interested. I don't buy consoles any more because I made poor choices in the past. These included. Mega CD (waste of 250 notes) 32X waste of whatever that cost Saturn and some others.

I also bought an Atari Jaguar. I did not see any value in any of the above mentioned but would have been alot happier with the Saturn had we god SCUD or Daytona 2. Sadly neither materialised.

I don't have a TV. Please try not to forget that ! having a 360 would be utterly pointless.

I don't dig paying 50 quid for a new game.

I don't dig paying a subscription charge to pay said game on line.

Gaming is somewhat important to me, but a small part of the reason I have a PC. Infact, if I had to stop playing games tomorrow I could. It's very take it or leave it for me.

I *need* a pc for my day to day business. And I see the 360 as a toy, and most of the toys I buy end up gathering lots of dust (like the NGC under the stairs).

So please. Stop telling me to get a 360. That's like telling Ashley cole to go and shag a fat ugly minger. The 360s graphics are utterly inferior to what I am used to. And whilst I believe I could get used to them I could not get used to a controller seeing as all of the games I play, in my opinion *require* a keyboard and mouse.

Just like a driving game really requires a steering wheel and pedals and a flight sim requires a set of yolks and stuff.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:31 
baron of techno

Can you plug a USB keyboard into the 360 and use it to type the instant message things then? Because that would actually be useful.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:33 
UltraMod

kalmar wrote:
Can you plug a USB keyboard into the 360 and use it to type the instant message things then? Because that would actually be useful.

Yes, I have mine almost permanently plugged in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:34 
baron of techno

JohnCoffey wrote:

Any way. Last night I got another virus.. Reason being I have a lot of old games by Razor1911 and I didn't run a virus scanner at the time. Got one called Virut worm which infects every exe you launch. Avast did catch it, but I chose to ignore it figuring the cracked exe for the game (Juiced 2 HIN) was a macro.

Bad error. Lost windows.

Sooo, Nemmie will be pleased to know that I have managed to get the Alienware vista fully installed and running perfectly. Here's how I did it.

Install the DVD that came with the PC. Then DISABLE AUTOMATIC UPDATES. That is what was causing the P.C to crawl. It was trying to download and install in excess of 2gb worth of updates.

Then, installed my wireless NIC, went to m$ and downloaded sp1 for Vista. Got, installed (its about 450mb to dl) and didn't try to do anything with the P.C until it was done. Once done I then installed the graphics driver supplied by my vendor on CD. It's older than the latest forceware, but, the latest forceware drivers caused my system to BSOD. Good old Nvidia ! 8)

Once done I installed Alienguise (see pic) and a few small apps I use and then installed Acronis True Image 11. Then simply created an acronis custom boot cd and imaged my machine all spiffing and lovely onto 3 dvds. Job done. Now in about 30 mins I can completely respawn (see what I did there?) my PC with no more installing stuff. Sweet.

Sadly I fear that a lot of the games I have downloaded will not be clean.. I don't have many, namely NFSU, NFSU 2, NFSMWC, Juiced 2 and GOW.

Wow. I just plug the 360 in and press the on button!
You should get one of those John, they make gaming actual fun.

Quote:
a flight sim requires a set of yolks and stuff.

Not if it's free range.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:35 

kalmar wrote:

It would only need two buttons: one for 'LOL!' and one for 'FAG!'

Esoteric

kalmar wrote:

See this is another thing. The 360 is, in essence a cut down underpowered PC. Trying to make it into one seems really pointless.

What I wish, however, is that m$ would release a cut down cleaned up windows purely for running every PC game for windows (360 port with higher res and better shadowing and so on).

Then I read about Windows 7.

Mmm, DRM.

So that can fuck right off.

SupaMod
Est. 1978

JohnCoffey wrote:
So please. Stop telling me to get a 360. That's like telling Ashley cole to go and shag a fat ugly minger.

Hahahahah! He did, you fool!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:36 
Esoteric

kalmar wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Bad error. Lost windows.

TBH the virus was a virus. It had nothing to do with any thing really. Just my tired stupidity of ignoring it.

I play games for, at most about an hour a day (unless its fallout 3.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

myp wrote:
kalmar wrote:

I've got one of there:
It's properly useful.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:37 
Esoteric

Grim... wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
So please. Stop telling me to get a 360. That's like telling Ashley cole to go and shag a fat ugly minger.

Hahahahah! He did, you fool!

Then he's fucking stupid. I didnt realise she was a FUM.

Idiot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

To be fair, she wasn't fat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:39 

JohnCoffey wrote:
kalmar wrote:

See this is another thing. The 360 is, in essence a cut down underpowered PC. Trying to make it into one seems really pointless.

What I wish, however, is that m$ would release a cut down cleaned up windows purely for running every PC game for windows (360 port with higher res and better shadowing and so on).

Then I read about Windows 7.

Mmm, DRM.

So that can fuck right off.

The new windows 7 is being coded to work with less than 512mb memory for industry..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:43 

JohnCoffey wrote:
Mega CD...32X...Saturn... Atari Jaguar....
You appear to be some sort of console merchant of death. Please don't buy a 360.

kalmar wrote:
Yeah man. Picking at that on-screen ABCDE keyboard is awful. (Aside: why the fuck isn't it QWERTY?)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:47 
Excellent Member

myp wrote:
kalmar wrote:

why do you have a word processor plugged to your tv?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:48 
baron of techno

JohnCoffey wrote:
Quote:

TBH the virus was a virus. It had nothing to do with any thing really. Just my tired stupidity of ignoring it.

I play games for, at most about an hour a day (unless its fallout 3.)

I play games for about two hours a week, on average. When I do, I don't want to spend all the time faffing about with drivers and trying different options to see what frame rate and resolution I can get. Or figuring out obscure PC problems. Switch on, play.

Quote:

Well, nobody's trying to do that. The voice chat is a really nice feature of Live, and the text thing is also pretty neat, just not easy to use with the joystick. I have a little keyboard which I'll bung under the TV table, for this purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:49 
UltraMod

So when typing a message it doesn't take half an hour to say 'hello'.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:50 
Comfortably Dumb

myp wrote:
kalmar wrote:

I bought a PC wireless keyboard and mouse set for about a tenner and I just use the keyboard on the 360. Not entirely sure what I'm going to use the mouse for, but never mind.

Excellent Member

myp wrote:
So when typing a message it doesn't take half an hour to say 'hello'.

i'm done with you

SupaMod
Est. 1978

kalmar wrote:
I play games for about two hours a week, on average. When I do, I don't want to spend all the time faffing about with drivers and trying different options to see what frame rate and resolution I can get. Or figuring out obscure PC problems. Switch on, play.

I've been switching a PC on and playing since the mid-90's. Also remember that Live is available on PCs now, too.

UltraMod

Yeah, I bought a similar set. I have the dongle plugged into the 360.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:52 

How do you get live on a PC?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Kovacs Caprios wrote:

Play a game that lets you use it, like Dawn of War 2, say.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Or go here: http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-GB/Li ... ejoin.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:56 

Grim... wrote:
Kovacs Caprios wrote:

Play a game that lets you use it, like Dawn of War 2, say.

I got distracted on sunday, as I was about the download it on steam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 16:58 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Yeah man. Picking at that on-screen ABCDE keyboard is awful. (Aside: why the fuck isn't it QWERTY?)

You can make it into QWERTY in one of the options screens. I'll have a look if you can't find it. It's still a fucking pain to use, mind, seeing as you have to change pages just to use a comma.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:03 
Hibernating Druid

Grim... wrote:
I've got one of there:
It's properly useful.

I've got one of there too.

Really handy, especially as it came with a headset after my other had a fight with a Dyson and lost.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Malabar Front wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

You can make it into QWERTY in one of the options screens. I'll have a look if you can't find it. It's still a fucking pain to use, mind, seeing as you have to change pages just to use a comma.

He's got an iPhone, he's used to that ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:04 
Esoteric

Oh and the Razer came today.

They obviously don't care much for trees.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:07 
Esoteric

Kovacs Caprios wrote:

The new windows 7 is being coded to work with less than 512mb memory for industry..

That's all well and good. And I hear it's very fast.

The issue for me is allowing M$ to poke their nose more and more into my PC. Certain options that you can disable (Like UAC) are taken over my W7. At which point you cannot take control of the OS.

I don't like the idea of that tbh. DRM's are nothing but legal virii.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:08 

Grim... wrote:

woot I have signed up.. 'KovacsC'

Not to get home and work out how to register my games on it :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:09 

JohnCoffey wrote:
Kovacs Caprios wrote:

That's all well and good. And I hear it's very fast.

The issue for me is allowing M$ to poke their nose more and more into my PC. Certain options that you can disable (Like UAC) are taken over my W7. At which point you cannot take control of the OS.

I don't like the idea of that tbh. DRM's are nothing but legal virii.

I am sorry can you clarify what you mean?

W7 is still in beta, so things might change.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:10 
Esoteric

Kovacs Caprios wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Certain PC games are labelled all over GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE on the packaging. Like GTA4, FO3 etc.

These will not run without GFWL installed, or be able to be saved.

M$ had no choice to give it away free in the end and let people use it free as Steam was winning by a landslide.

Come to think of it, Steam is still winning by a landslide.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:14 

JohnCoffey wrote:
Kovacs Caprios wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Certain PC games are labelled all over GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE on the packaging. Like GTA4, FO3 etc.

M$ had no choice to give it away free in the end and let people use it free as Steam was winning by a landslide.

Come to think of it, Steam is still winning by a landslide.

How odd I have had world in conflict for ages & lego batman. Not had to install GFWL yet..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

JohnCoffey wrote:

Sorry, but that's bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:17 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Grim... wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Haha, yes.

As a side-note to hardware, and terribly sorry if this is off-topic: why is the Guitar Hero World Tour's guitar d-pad mounted inside-out? Try it for yourself — rotate it clockwise on the 360's keyboard screen, and the cursor will move anti-clockwise. It confuses the shit out of me.

I could understand if it was upside-down or rotated, but having one axis normal and the other inverted is lunacy. Anyone would think :attitude: designed it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:19 

Malabar Front wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Haha, yes.
:DD

Quote:
As a side-note to hardware, and terribly sorry if this is off-topic: why is the Guitar Hero World Tour's guitar d-pad mounted inside-out? Try it for yourself — rotate it clockwise on the 360's keyboard screen, and the cursor will move anti-clockwise. It confuses the shit out of me.
So that when you are wearing the guitar and you look down on it from above and from behind, it still feels right.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:23 
Esoteric

Kovacs Caprios wrote:

I am sorry can you clarify what you mean?

W7 is still in beta, so things might change.

DRM. Digital rights something. Basically it's like Securom. It goes into your hard drive and then monitors everything that you do.

So M$ are going to install a little virus into your computer that will then give them full control over it. They claim it is to rid piracy, but tbh it's not. It's for them to monitor what you are up to and watch what you buy in order to spam you with the 'right' advertising (something google toolbar and yahoo toolbar etc) do.

They attempted it with Vista, but, Vista runs without an internet connection. W7 will not. It's basically so they can constantly nose into what you are doing and when you are doing it. Also, if you thought Vista was like playschool watch out for W7. In Vista you can disable all of it's shitty and stupid hand holding bollocks. In W7 most of it is not an option. M$ see it as improving windows, personally I see it as an insult.

Things will not change. Just like games will have more and more 'protection' in them that will invade on people's rights and privacy. The only reason securom is legal is because of money.

Piracy will still exist, and games will always be hacked and cracked. It's the innocent that are being fucked over by it. It's very similar to the ID card debate. Note how we don't have ID cards? how it was passed off as an insult? So why does it happen in digital media?

Money. Record companies, film makers, game producers all sit in a category above the law because of money. They bully people like Bleem and others into submitting by hurling enormous ammounts of money into it and bullying them into submission. Of course they were doing nothing wrong, but that didn't matter.

It's all summed up very well by the episode "Chef Aid" of South Park. Some fat semi balding cunt yells "I AM ABOVE THE LAW" and gets away with it.

As time goes by software companies are becoming worse than the people who attack it. Why do you think M$ are the CONSTANT victims of viruses, attacks, trojans and so on? it isn't because windows is easy to code viruses for, it's because people hate Bill Gates and the windows 'team'.

Macs are one of the world's easiest systems to hack and write malicious code with. I've never had a virus on a mac.

There's also the big issue of the ongoing lawsuit in which m$ get to abuse the law. Basically (I can't remember the specifics now) they did something to windows XP that made it illegal. They were fined. When they worked out the cost of the fines it was actually a lot less than the money they were making. So they just continued paying the fines and raking in the cash.

With Windows 98 they broke the law completely. In Rev 1 you *could not* get on the net without signing up for msn dial up. They were taken to court, fought it, lost and then had to release a patch allowing people to configure their own dial up net.

So they're wankers, basically. Nothing they do is to make computing better, it's *all* done to make them richer.

Sure, it's a business, but when it becomes so apparent that they care fuck all for their end user that it's obvious people tend to become rather annoyed.

FFS they stole DOS in the first place. Hardly getting off to the best of starts IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:24 
UltraMod

Don't get Bioshock, then.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:25 
baron of techno

JohnCoffey wrote:
Macs are one of the world's easiest systems to hack and write malicious code with.

Errm, umm, citation needed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

8)
It's time to play "spot the bit that's correct" kids.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:28 

Quote:
They attempted it with Vista, but, Vista runs without an internet connection. W7 will not. It's basically so they can constantly nose into what you are doing and when you are doing it. Also, if you thought Vista was like playschool watch out for W7. In Vista you can disable all of it's shitty and stupid hand holding bollocks. In W7 most of it is not an option. M$ see it as improving windows, personally I see it as an insult.

Man you talk out of your arse. A lot of industry machines do not connect to the internet, so why would microsoft produce an OS that needs it. All OS must be able to operate on a standalone system.

edit: - where did you get all that twoddle from? Don't tell me you either made all that up or got it from wiki?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:28 
Excellent Member

Why people use M$ to refer to microsoft? They're a company, of course they're main goal is to make money. Why are people expecting them to be like the Red Cross or Bono (well, if i had to choose one to let live, i would certainly pick Bill Gates over Bono).

Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next