Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: MafiaScum Game II
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mafiascum is the online version of the game known as Mafia.

The game is split into day and night phases. During the day phase, the players are attempting to come to a consensus on who should be lynched by the townsfolk. You are trying to catch out the bad guys, find out who looks suspicious, etc. To begin with, there is very little information to go on - you're all scared, and you're all pretty much suspicious of each other. As the days progress, people will die, revealing their role. Roles like the cop will uncover vital information, but will they put themselves at risk to share it? Each day phase there will be a lynch if consensus is reached. Once more than half of the players vote for the same player to be lynched, that will be the end of the day, and that player will be strung up. If the deadline passes and there is no consensus, there will be no lynch that day.

During the night phase, and player who has a night ability (revealed in the PMs you will receive) can use their role. When all night abilities have been used, or when the deadline expires, the night phase will be over and a new day will start. Any overnight deaths will be revealed.

The game alternates between day and night until one of the teams has won - see 'Win Conditions' below.

Rules
  • To vote for a player to be lynched, you should include [vote:player] in your post. It is important to get this right - I will be using an automated vote-counting tool during this game as I am hugely lazy, and if you don't present your vote as above, it will not be counted. Nor will misspelled names! If you wish to withdraw your vote, include [vote:unvote].
  • Only people playing the game may post in this thread
  • Once you are dead, that is it. You may not post again in the thread. One 'goodbye, cruel world' type post will be allowed, but you must not reveal any information you may know.
  • Do not post in the thread during night phases. I will most likely lock the thread at that time anyway.
  • Do not discuss what is happening in the game outside this thread, either in other threads, in person, or via PM. The whole point is that all discussion is visible to all. The exception to this is the mafia, who can communicate with each other whenever they like.
  • Post. If you don't participate in the discussion for a period, I'll send you a PM. If you still don't participate, you will probably be ModKilled. If you don't take part, the game doesn't run well at all. Each day will run for around 48 hours, so you don't need to be checking the thread too often.
  • Do not edit or delete any of your posts. If you wish to correct something, follow up with a new post.

Advice
  • Day one is a crapshoot, but picking someone and lynching them is a good idea - the aim is to gain information.
  • Voting for people often provokes a reaction, which may be of interest.
  • When someone dies and you discover their role, look back through previous posts. Who was supporting them? Who was trying to get them lynched? This may give you clues to other players' allegiances.
  • You can lie as much as you like. You can claim to be a role that you are not - but if you get outed by the person who is really playing that role, it's usually a swift trip to the gibbet.
  • You can reveal your role whenever you like. It may make you a target, and people may well not believe you, but on occasion it may be necessary if you have vital information.

Post subject: Re: MafiaScum Game II
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 14:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Day 1 will start Tuesday 10am.

The following people are playing this game:

Sheepeh
nervouspete
Dudley
Rodafowa
Pundabaya
Mr Chris
ComicalGnomes
Mr Dave
richardgaywood
Dimrill
Joans
Grim...
Gazchap
The Rev Owen
Sir Taxalot
Bluecup
vegetables
JBR
LaceSensor
craig

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 15:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The following roles are in this game:

1-4 Mafia Goon(s)
0-1 Mafia Roleblocker
1 Serial Killer
1 Cult leader
0-1 Tracker
1 Escaped Inmate
1 Asylum Guard
0-1 Voyeur
1 Vigilante
0-1 Doctor
1 Mad Scientist
5-12 Townies
1 Revered Prince

Below are the role descriptions for each role. These are the PMs that are sent to each player informing them of their role.

Quote:
Mafia Goon - You are a legbreaker for the local mafia. ________ and ________ are also mafia. Once per night one mafia goon can PM me with the name of a player who will be assassinated that night. The PM should also contain the name of the goon who will carry out the hit. Unlike town players, you may converse at any time via PM or email. Your win condition is Mafia.

Quote:
Mafia Roleblocker - You are a Roleblocker for the local mafia. ___________ and __________ are mafia goons. Once per night you can PM me with the name of a player, and if that player has a night action, it will be blocked. They will be told they have been blocked, but not who by. You cannot be nominated as a mafia hitman. You can communicate with the other mafia at any time via PM or email. Your win condition is Mafia.

Quote:
Serial Killer - You are a fucking psycho nut, on no-one's side but your own. Once per night phase you can PM me the name of a player, and that player will be murdered. You are highly encouraged to provide me with a description of how you would like each victim killed. Your win condition is SK.

Quote:
Cult Leader - You are an ambitious member of a mysterious religious cult, sent to establish a chapter in this town. Once per night phase you can PM me the name of a player and that player will be recruited to join the cult. You will fail if you attempt to recruit a Mafia member, the Serial Killer, the Asylum Guard (before he turns into a vanilla townie), or the Escaped Inmate. If you successfully recruit a player, they will receive the PM below. Your win condition is Cult.

Quote:
Recruited Cultist - You have been recruited into the local chapter of a mysterious religious cult. You retain any previous night action you had, but your previous win condition is now irrelevant. Your win condition is now Cult.

Quote:
Tracker - You are an experienced town tracker. Once per night phase you may PM me the name of a player, and you will track that player. You will be told who (if anyone) that player targets with an action during that night phase, but not what that action is. Your win condition is Town.

Quote:
Escaped Inmate - You are an escapee from the local lunatic asylum, and you are deeply insane. You want to get yourself killed in any way you can, but you must not raise the suspicions of the Asylum Guard. You have no night action. Your win condition is Inmate.

Quote:
Asylum Guard - You are a guard from the local lunatic asylum, come to town to track down an escapee. Once per night phase you can PM me the name of a player. If that player is the Escaped Inmate, they will be arrested and taken back to the asylum. Your win condition is Guard. If the inmate dies, your win condition becomes Town.

Quote:
Voyeur - You are a voyeur, adept at sneaking around and spying on other people. Once per night phase you can PM me the name of a player, and you will spy on that player. You will be told of one person per night (if anyone) who targets that player with a night action, but not what that action is. If multiple people target that person, you will be told about one of them at random. Your win condition is Town.

Quote:
Vigilante - You are a man on a mission, taking justice into your own hands. Once per night phase you can PM me the name of a player, and you will kill that player. Your win condition is Town.

Quote:
Doctor - You are a doctor. Once per night phase you can PM me the name of a player, and that player will be protected from any overnight attempts to kill them. You may not protect yourself. The player you protect will not know that you are protecting them. Any player attempting to kill the person you are protecting will know that their attempt failed, but not why. Your win condition is Town.

Quote:
Mad Scientist - You are a crazy old inventor, and you have a brand new invention. It is a box with six buttons. Once per night phase you can point your box at a player and press a button. PM me the player name and the button you want to press (1-6). The problem is, you never got round to writing the manual. The following are what the six buttons do, but you don't know which button does what.
  • Brrrrzzzzttt - Your target is killed.
  • Kablammo - The box explodes, taking you with it.
  • "I have breasts!" Your target is switched with a random player for the duration of that night phase. Any action they or their switch partner attempt will succeed, but will be performed by the other. Any attempt by any player to target one of them will target the other.
  • "My wings are like a shield of steel!" - Your target is protected from night kills for that night phase.
  • Pssshhhhht - Your target is overcome by sleeping gas, and is roleblocked for that night phase.
  • It's a miracle! - A random dead player is resurrected.
You will not be told what happened when you pressed the button, but in some cases it may be apparent. Your win condition is Town.

Quote:
Revered Prince - You are a local hero. You are held in such high regard by the townsfolk that if you die for any reason, the following day phase will be skipped (and no lynch can occur) because everyone will be attending the funeral, meaning that two nights will occur in a row. You have no night action. Your win condition is Town.

Quote:
Townie - You are a townsperson. You have no special role and no night ability. Your win condition is Town.

Win Conditions

You win the game dependant on your team's win condition. Note that Townies and Mafia do not need to survive to win, so helping your team win is more important than your own personal survival. The win conditions are:
  • Town - You win when every Mafia member, Cult member and the Serial Killer are dead.
  • Mafia - You win when the all killing roles are dead, and you equal or outnumber the town and cult combined (preventing a lynch).
  • Cult - You win when all killing roles are dead, and you outnumber the town (preventing a lynch).
  • Serial Killer - You win when everyone else is dead. Horribly.
  • Inmate - You win if you die.
  • Guard - You win if you arrest the Escaped Inmate before he can get himself killed.

Note that two teams can win in this game, like the Escaped Inmate and the Mafia, for example.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 13:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

What order do night events occur in?

Scientist's Switcheroo -> Roleblock -> Recruit -> Investigate -> Protect -> Kill -> Scientist's Resurrect

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]