Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ] 
 Post subject: MafiaScum VII
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 19:49 
UltraMod

The game is split into day and night phases. During the day phase, the players are attempting to come to a consensus on who should be lynched by the townsfolk. You are trying to catch out the bad guys, find out who looks suspicious, etc. To begin with, there is very little information to go on - you're all scared, and you're all pretty much suspicious of each other. As the days progress, people will die, revealing their role. Roles like the cop will uncover vital information, but will they put themselves at risk to share it? Each day phase there will be a lynch if consensus is reached. Once more than half of the players vote for the same player to be lynched, that will be the end of the day, and that player will be strung up. If the deadline passes and there is no consensus, there will be no lynch that day.

During the night phase, and player who has a night ability (revealed in the PMs you will receive) can use their role. When all night abilities have been used, or when the deadline expires, the night phase will be over and a new day will start. Any overnight deaths will be revealed.

The game alternates between day and night until one of the teams has won - see 'Win Conditions' below.

Rules:

1) Only Mafiascum players can post in the game day threads. Anyone is welcome in the dead zone.
2) Your participation is necessary. Whoever is in charge of a game may modkill a player for non-participation at their discretion.
3) You may play in-character or out-of-character as you wish.
4) Unless your role specifies that you can, you should not communicate privately with other players about the game in progress.
5) You may not use out-of-game information within the game. This includes, but may not be limited to:
  • Quoting PMs from the game admin
  • Posting screenshots of anything
  • Commenting on user login times or other user behaviour observed using forum features
6) To vote, use the syntax [vote:playername]. To unvote, use [vote:unvote]. To vote for no-one to be lynched, use [vote:nolynch].
7) Enjoy it. Don't get upset if you are voted for, it's a chance to change people's minds.
8 ) If you wish to reveal the role you have been given, you are welcome to do so. Don't expect to be believed unless you can prove it though.
9) When playing, you are expected to play towards your win condition. This has shown to be a little dubious in past games, so perhaps a better ruling would be 'you may not play in a way that is directly contrary to your win condition'.

---

Day 1 will start at midday on Wednesday. Below is the playerlist:

Bluecup
Bobbyaro
ComicalGnomes
Craster
Curiosity
Dudley
GazChap
Goddess Jasmine
Joans
kalmar
LaceSensor
Mr Russ
mrak
Plissken
Runcle
Sheepeh
Spinglo Sponglo!
Squirt
zaphod79
Zardoz

The following roles are in this game:

1-4 Mafia Goon(s)
0-1 Mafia Roleblocker
1 Serial Killer
1 Cult Leader
0-1 CCTV Operator
0-1 Seer
1 Terrorist
1 Doctor
0-1 Editor
0-1 Awkward Bugger
7-15 Townies

Below are the role descriptions for each role. These are the PMs that are sent to each player informing them of their role.

Quote:
Mafia Goon - You are a legbreaker for the local mafia. ________ and ________ are also mafia. Once per night one mafia goon can PM me with the name of a player who will be assassinated that night. The PM should also contain the name of the goon who will carry out the hit. Unlike town players, you may converse at any time via PM or email. Your win condition is Mafia.

Quote:
Mafia Roleblocker - You are a Roleblocker for the local mafia. ___________ and __________ are mafia goons. Once per night you can PM me with the name of a player, and if that player has a night action, it will be blocked. They will be told they have been blocked, but not who by. You cannot be nominated as a mafia hitman. You can communicate with the other mafia at any time via PM or email. Your win condition is Mafia.

Quote:
Serial Killer - You are a fucking psycho nut, on no-one's side but your own. Once per night phase you can PM me the name of a player, and that player will be murdered. You are highly encouraged to provide me with a description of how you would like each victim killed. Your win condition is SK.

Quote:
Cult Leader - You are an ambitious member of a mysterious religious cult, sent to establish a chapter in this town. Once per night phase you can PM me the name of a player and that player will be recruited to join the cult. You will fail if you attempt to recruit a Mafia member or the Serial Killer. If you successfully recruit a player, they will receive the PM below. Your win condition is Cult.

Quote:
Recruited Cultist - You have been recruited into the local chapter of a mysterious religious cult. Your leader is __________. You retain any previous night action you had, but your previous win condition is now irrelevant. Your win condition is now Cult.

Quote:
CCTV Operator - Each night you may either PM me the name of a player's house you wish to have a camera installed, or choose to watch all cameras on your monitors. Due to your grainy, cheap CCTV footage, if you choose to watch, you will find out what actions have taken place, but not who was targeted. If you have more than one camera installed, you will not know which action relates to which camera - you really should upgrade your equipment! Your win condition is Town.

Quote:
Seer - Each night, PM me two players' names. One of those players will have a vision, revealing the win condition of the other player to him. However, you don't know which of the players gets the vision. You may not choose yourself as one of the two players. Your win condition is Town.

Quote:
______ Terrorist- During the night, you may commit suicide by explosives. If you do, any players targeting you will die as well. Your win condition is ______.

Quote:
______ Doctor - You are a doctor. Once per night phase you can PM me the name of a player, and that player will be protected from any overnight attempts to kill them. You may not protect yourself. The player you protect will not know that you are protecting them. Any player attempting to kill the person you are protecting will know that their attempt failed, but not why. Your win condition is ______.

Quote:
Editor - You're the head of the local rag - you can edit and delete your own posts.

Quote:
Awkward Bugger - Each day phase, you must argue against a lynch for the first player to reach five votes or half of the remaining number of players (whichever is less). You can cast aspersions over other players and leave red herring clues for who you think are scum. Your role is to stir things up and be as awkward as possible. You must not reveal that you are the Awkward Bugger at any point, though - that would ruin your fun, you cantankerous old git.

Quote:
Townie - You are a townsperson. You have no special role and no night ability. Your win condition is Town.

NB: The Town will have either the Doctor or the Terrorist, but the players will not know which (unless they choose to reveal themselves); the Mafia will have the other. If they are in the game, then the Editor and Awkward Bugger will also have other primary roles.

Night events occur in this order: Roleblock -> Recruit -> Investigate -> Protect -> Kill.

Win Conditions

You win the game dependant on your team's win condition. Note that Townies and Mafia do not need to survive to win, so helping your team win is more important than your own personal survival. The win conditions are:
  • Town - You win when every Mafia member, Cult member and the Serial Killer are dead.
  • Mafia - You win when the all killing roles are dead, and you equal or outnumber the town and cult combined (preventing a lynch).
  • Cult - You win when all killing roles are dead, and you outnumber the town (preventing a lynch).
  • Serial Killer - You win when everyone else is dead. Horribly.

Right, I've probably made loads of mistakes, so please point them out if you notice them. Also, any queries or suggestions are most welcome.

Post subject: Re: MafiaScum VII
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:05 
Time Out for Fun

does the git have a win condition?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:09 
Legendary Boogeyman

and the penalty for revealing himself accidentally or otherwise is not clear. Given that people historically don't 'vehemently' defend people, it'll be rather obvious I think, especially when they can only do it when they hit 5 votes. What if they don't complain? What penalty? etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:15 

Simple game my arse! 8)

Anyway, can the cult pm each other?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:15 
Time Out for Fun

I dont get the editors role either since its just a confirmed townie role really.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:16 

Runcle wrote:
does the git have a win condition?

Yes, whichever his primary role is.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:20 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Should the cultist not know who the other members of the cult (or at least the leader) are , and can the communicate outside of the game ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:27 
UltraMod

ComicalGnomes wrote:
and the penalty for revealing himself accidentally or otherwise is not clear. Given that people historically don't 'vehemently' defend people, it'll be rather obvious I think, especially when they can only do it when they hit 5 votes. What if they don't complain? What penalty? etc.

Good question, perhaps I've phrased it badly. I suppose I just want him to stir things up a bit - perhaps change it to 'subtlely defend'?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:28 
UltraMod

Bluecup wrote:

No.

*edit*

Actually, I can't remember if they did in Craster's second game or not. Can previous cultists confirm?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:30 
UltraMod

Runcle wrote:
I dont get the editors role either since its just a confirmed townie role really.

Nope, the Editor could be cult, mafia, SK or town. It's a secondary role.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:30 
Time Out for Fun

aha I like it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:34 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

myoptika wrote:
Bluecup wrote:

No.

*edit*

Actually, I can't remember if they did in Craster's second game or not. Can previous cultists confirm?

Cultists can usually talk, yes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:34 
Legendary Boogeyman

When I was cult, we chatted constantly. When I was running a game, the cult could talk. Indeed, you can't stop them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:36 
UltraMod

Yes that's fine then. When you're indoctrinated into the cult you'll told who your leader is. It's up to the leader whether they want to share info regarding the other members (to give them some kind of control).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:37 

How do you think we orchestrated the final push?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You were midwives?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:40 
UltraMod

How's that looking for the Awkward Bugger now?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:43 

How are you going to work the Editor's mechanic? Special group in PHPBB? I was considering an editor type role for my games.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:44 
Time Out for Fun

can you vote as the bugger then? what if you vote early on and then have to be against your own vote later on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:46 
UltraMod

richardgaywood wrote:
How are you going to work the Editor's mechanic? Special group in PHPBB? I was considering an editor type role for my games.

If I tell you that, I'll have to kill you. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:48 
UltraMod

Runcle wrote:
can you vote as the bugger then? what if you vote early on and then have to be against your own vote later on.

Of course, you're still a normal player as you have a primary win condition. It's probably best not to vote too early if you get that role, however.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:49 
UltraMod

To clarify on the Seer role, if you target the Terrorist and he decides to blow himself up that night, then the other person involved in the vision dies as well.

Unlikely, but it needed clarification.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:16 
baron of techno

"7-15 Awkward buggers"

Looks good though!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:30 
Hibernating Druid

Runcle wrote:
aha I like it.

That's the way.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:31 
UltraMod

Another clarification:

If the terrorist blows him/herself up and the CCTV Operator is installing a camera in their house, they will also die.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:32 
Legendary Boogeyman

Wasn't this game starting today?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:43 
UltraMod

myoptika wrote:
Day 1 will start at midday on Wednesday.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:50 
Legendary Boogeyman

Midday? It used to be 10am. I don't like this game already. You're running it wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

:DD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:05 
That Rev Chap

At least nobody's going to be stuck in Arkham Asylum for the whole game...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:26 
UltraMod

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Midday? It used to be 10am. I don't like this game already. You're running it wrong.

I was worried I wouldn't have it ready in time. It turns out I was ready at 9am, but didn't want to start it early in case people were gearing up for midday as I'd stated in the rules...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:50 
INFINITE POWAH

Is it too late to sign up? :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:51 
UltraMod

Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:54 
INFINITE POWAH

Phooey.

Where was the sign up thread? How have I missed this?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:55 
Isn't that lovely?

Mr Chris wrote:
Phooey.

Where was the sign up thread? How have I missed this?

here

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:56 
INFINITE POWAH

I was kidding. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:56 
UltraMod

Yeah, it's only been stickied in the main forum for a week. Right, locking this thread now.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]