Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: FAO Chinny or anyone else who knows this stuff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 16:51 

It's for a colleague in the department here at work, he films a lot of stuff that's basically interviewing medics and patients in and around the hospital for medical education films etc. He currently uses a pair of Sony HVR HD1000e cameras.

They're a bit long in the tooth and I've never been that impressed by the sharpness etc. So we're looking to replace them with something better, probably up to about £2k per camera. So something that is ok in poor light, with a reasonably wide aperture so he can throw the backgrounds out of focus etc. is digital and um, that's about as much as we know really.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated because I know nothing about video cameras.

Post subject: Re: FAO Chinny or anyone else who knows this stuff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 17:10 
Chinny chin chin

markg wrote:
It's for a colleague in the department here at work, he films a lot of stuff that's basically interviewing medics and patients in and around the hospital for medical education films etc. He currently uses a pair of Sony HVR HD1000e cameras.

They're a bit long in the tooth and I've never been that impressed by the sharpness etc. So we're looking to replace them with something better, probably up to about £2k per camera. So something that is ok in poor light, with a reasonably wide aperture so he can throw the backgrounds out of focus etc. is digital and um, that's about as much as we know really.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated because I know nothing about video cameras.

Probably best to look at the cameras in the Sony NX range as 2 grand isn't a lot to play with:

http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/sony_hxr-nx70e

http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/sony_hxr-nx30e

The HD1000E was a Tesco Value Z1 IIRC. The Z1 was soft compared to newer cameras + used HDV so I'm not surprised the 'cost down' version isn't terribly good.

Post subject: Re: FAO Chinny or anyone else who knows this stuff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 19:19 

Thanks for that chinny, I'll check those out. Trying to research it myself was making my head spin.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]