Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Steambox: confirmed
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... n-consoles

Quote:
Amid the rumours that Valve plans to enter the hardware market with a Steam Box, Gabe Newell has said gamers will be able to buy a living room-friendly PC package from the Half-Life maker in 2013.

Speaking to Kotaku, the Valve chief said he expects companies to sell PC packages for living rooms next year and that they could run Steam out of the box.

And they will, Newell said, compete with next-generation consoles.

"We'll do it but we also think other people will as well," Newell said. "Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment. If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.

"The nice thing about a PC is a lot of different people can try out different solutions, and customers can find the ones that work best for them."

The Steam Box was first mentioned by a report on The Verge, which earlier this year reported that Valve was working on a console to be developed in partnership with manufacturers.

The Verge report said the Steam Box would likely launch with a proprietary controller that may allow for swappable components (analogue sticks, etc.). Valve filed a patent for such a device last year.

It also heard that some of these devices - maybe the controller itself - could be (or include) biometric sensors. These could measure heart beat (via a bracelet), skin galvanic response (sweaty hands) and feed that information back into the game. Sources intimated to The Verge that the technology was so good, "You won't ever look back.”

Last week Valve launched Steam's Big Picture mode, which tailors Valve's portal to be used on a telly with a gamepad.

The new mode introduces the "Daisywheel" for more intuitive typing with a controller, and a new web browser has been added as well that can be accessed while playing a game.

Could be bloody good, this.

If Valve could pipe all existing Steam content into the living room in a way that can appeal to new customers, that's a vastly more compelling idea. And with the market shifting towards digital distribution, Steam's laissez-faire attitude to content control, user generated content, and patch distribution gives it a really solid unique selling point that sets it apart from the Xboxen and Playstations of this world. I think there's a real opportunity here, and I think Valve know it.

The OS is a open idea; we all know Valve has been looking at Linux a lot lately, and for Steambox to run Windows would make it vulnerable to Microsoft strongarming it if it started to take a big bite out of the Xbox. I wonder if the plan is for a Transgaming/Wine type layer to run Windows games on it. Lots of people have taken a pass at that over the years without much luck, though.

I think it has to be a mainstream box, with a pretty fixed spec. Modern gaming is strongly driven by online and online is influenced by the platform your mates use, so it needs to be popular with everyone. It has to be small and neat and tidy, which rules out standard PCIe changeable graphics cards and a lot of other user-replaceable gubbins. Basically, I think it needs to be much more a console that happens to play Steam games than a small PC with a Valve logo on the front.

Splinter thread for PC-master-race-versus-console-toting-prole argumnets: viewtopic.php?style=19&f=3&t=9159

Post subject: Re: Steambox: confirmed
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Whereas I want it to be a PC with a badge on so I can use it as a media header as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:42 

Sure. What you want isn't what's going to make the most money for Valve, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well, there's not much difference - I just want to be able to get at the OS (or for other people to be allowed to write things that can).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

They'd be mental to not include a DLNA client and some way of using Netflix etc though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:46 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Totally agree. The boxes under the TV have moved away from just playing games and can now do everything. I don't think punters would be content with a box that just plays games.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:46 
Comfortably Dumb

If the price is right for this thing, I could well be interested. According to SteamCalculator, I have 272 steam games, but as I'm spending more of my time in Ubuntu, I don't actually play any of them. If I had a nice, under-the-telly box, I'd be far more likely to use it than sat at my PC.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:47 
Sleepyhead

This has piqued my interest.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TheVision wrote:
Totally agree. The boxes under the TV have moved away from just playing games and can now do everything. I don't think punters would be content with a box that just plays games.

Good luck watching your .mkv files on the existing boxes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:49 

One idea I've seen mooted for the controller is an integrated trackball or trackpad, as a couch-friendly way to make mouse based games playable (think point-and-click rather than FPSs). I think that's an intriguing idea.

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras Kringle wrote:
They'd be mental to not include a DLNA client and some way of using Netflix etc though.

Sure, but I want one that will actually play everything (see above).

Hello Hello Hello

I'm sure old Gabe knows what he's doing but I'd have thought most people who wanted to play PC games already have a gaming PC.

Fixed hardware running Steam on a non-MS platform is an intriguing concept though.

They've certainly picked the right time to go forward with it, high performance PC components have never been more compact and cooler running than they are now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:51 

Grim... wrote:
Steambox focus group:
"It needs to play MKV files!"
"Why?"
"So that cheapskates who by definition steal content rather than paying for it will be on our platform, the commercial success of which rests on the hope that people will pay for content and not steal it!"

This model didn't work out so well when Sony inadvertently adopted it for the PSP.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Steambox focus group:
"Why?"
"So that cheapskates who by definition steal content rather than paying for it will be on our platform, the commercial success of which rests on the hope that people will pay for content and not steal it!"

This model didn't work out so well when Sony inadvertently adopted it for the PSP.

Didn't PSP sales go through the roof when people discovered you could play PS1 games on it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
Didn't PSP sales go through the roof when people discovered you could play PS1 games on it?

I guess it's not hardware sales that are the main focus though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:54 

Sure… And Sony sold each PSP on a slim margin then failed to make any actual profit because no-one bought any games. You see my point now?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Sure… And Sony sold each PSP on a slim margin then failed to make any actual profit because no-one bought any games. You see my point now?

Is that actually true?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:59 

Grim... wrote:
Is that actually true?

AFAIK. Sony doesn't report PSP profit separately, which is often a sign all is not well. Certainly, in terms of sales and new game releases, the PSP was hopelessly moribund for the last few years of its life. It eked out a threadbare existence on Japanese sales of turn-based tactical RPGs, but other than that it was pretty sad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

By the way... Good work with the subtitle of the thread! May I be the first to wish you the best of luck with that ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 
Hello Hello Hello

TheVision wrote:
By the way... Good work with the subtitle of the thread! May I be the first to wish you the best of luck with that ;)

But why bother with it at all? It's a pointlessly aggressive approach to the subject.

Why not wait to see if any 'TEDIUM' occurs and then deal with it if it does?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:15 

It's occurring right now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:16 
Hello Hello Hello

WTB wrote:
It's occurring right now.

A more cynical man than me might suggest DocG was practically guaranteeing such a result with his decision to sub-title the thread as he did.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:18 
Gogmagog

DOccyG is not a man who requires subtitles.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:19 
ugvm'er at heart...

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Steambox focus group:
"Why?"

"Isn't that a market we would never have anyway, if we add that capability we'll probably get a few extra sales of games to those people, which we wouldn't ordinarily have"
"you're right!"
"Let's do it!"
"What's for lunch?"
"I think we are going for sushi"
"I hate sushi"
"They do other stuff too, or you can just have the vegetarian stuff"
"You guys never think about me when you go to lunch, why can't we just go for a curry?"
"A curry at lunchtime? No thanks, too heavy for me"
"I'll just get something from the canteen instead"
"Suit yourself"
"I will"
"Go on then"
"I'm going to"
"See you later then"
"Doubt it"
"cunt"
"cunt"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:20 
Gogmagog

I think I'd be interested in something like this, but it will depend on price, as Devilman said, and what else it does, as TheVision said. If the games are out on both XBOX and STEAM, I think I'd go for the new xbox as it can do other stuff, as a preference.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:37 
Excellently Membered

Isn't this just going to be standardized hardware running "Steam's Big Picture mode"?

Just throw in your 360 game pad and your sorted.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:46 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

The more I think about this, the more I don't see the point. Aren't people who use Steam more likely to be happy using a PC? And if they did want it on their TV, then the big picture mode is for them? I think they're going to struggle to attract new people.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 
Unpossible!

Laptop style track pad in the middle of an xbox style controller might work if they can work out the ergonomics

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:53 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Why settle with a trackpad when you can fit a screen in there? See where this is going?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:54 
Unpossible!

Trackpads don't draw power, do they?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:00 
Comfortably Dumb

TheVision wrote:
The more I think about this, the more I don't see the point. Aren't people who use Steam more likely to be happy using a PC? And if they did want it on their TV, then the big picture mode is for them? I think they're going to struggle to attract new people.

Maybe, but there have been quite a few people I've mentioned Steam to who don't have a clue what it is. Although the Steam client makes things easy enough as it is, if there was an off-the-shelf bit of kit that made it even easier, then there could be a market there.

I was talking to my brother yesterday about when we used to play Ghost Recon together and I told him that it often comes up dirt cheap on Steam sales and he still wasn't persuaded. If he had a little box that did all the work, I think he'd be up for it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

It's basically a new console, with a pre-made collection of awesome games that are generally for sale for cheapness via digital download.

Seems like a winning concept to me :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:06 

Look at how vibrant the download games market is for iOS, compared to the far more controlled environment on the 360 and PS3. Steam is more open to devs than iOS is. That's the pitch, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:08 
Gogmagog

Trooper wrote:
It's basically a new console, with a pre-made collection of awesome games that are generally for sale for cheapness via digital download.

Seems like a winning concept to me :)

e
I think I'd like that. I've nver used moonpoints to buy games for the xbox, but have spent monies on steam games and mobile games.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:11 
Excellent Member

Perhaps it isn't meant so much as a fresh challenger to the EggsBox/PS3 rivalry but just as a handy option for those who want to get into the world of PC games without the fuss. A modest proposal that will stealthily snowball.

So the question indeed is whether this is going to be a loud attempt to attract the console demographic or simply an admirable ready-meal of a PC? If it is the former it will need some distinct flagship titles beyond the RTS as most console gamers will look and say, "But I can get that on the 3DOhGoOnBuyOne already." Console launches need flagship titles and bundles of hype and it would be very, very nice for Half Life 3 to raise a banner to lure people to this.

It'll be interesting to see if Microsoft, who have so long treated the PC gaming market with something akin to contempt, further stomp off in a hissy fit at this threat and deny us decent ports of their FPS Guns 'n' Problems Eggsbox games, or worse yet lock all future titles to an infernally nagging and intrusive Games for Windows system.

Oh no! etc.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Look at how vibrant the download games market is for iOS, compared to the far more controlled environment on the 360 and PS3. Steam is more open to devs than iOS is. That's the pitch, I think.

The new players pitch, sure. How are they going to get existing Steam users to convert?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Actually, thinking about it, assuming the price is right, I can see existing PC owners buying a Steam Box not to replace their main PC, but as an addition.

I'd probably buy a Steam Box and hook it up to the big telly, even though my main PC would carry on being my primary games platform.

Given the openness of the Steam platform and the amazing cheapness of games, a Steam Box could become a viable XBLA replacement, which is basically all my 360 is for these days.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 
Excellent Member

I'd be very interested in this as a way to get the usually cheaper PC version of games with the extra pretties that comes over and above the console version. But that alone doesn't justify sticking yet another game playing device under the TV so it would need to be a totally rock-solid media player (i.e. compatible with all current formats and with upgradeable codecs for future-proofing) and if they threw in a proper browser with Flash support that would tip me over the edge. Ideally it would just be a standardised Windows PC built that developers could test against to ensure compatibility because then you get all the functionality that Windows brings with it, but that's not essential.

I realise little of that necessarily makes sense from Valve's point of view but it's what I'd want before I'd think about it. It's a slightly different proposition when the next gen consoles start to appear mind because then it could be considered as an alternative platform in it's own right so you could actually get one instead of a new Xbox or whatever, but at the moment for people who already have console(s) it's harder to justify I think.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:53 

MaliA wrote:
e
I think I'd like that. I've nver used moonpoints to buy games for the xbox, but have spent monies on steam games and mobile games.

How in God's name did that happen?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 13:16 
Bad Girl

Questions:

Can I get games that aren't on XBLA or PSN?

Will the games on Steam that are also on XBLA/PSN be better/worse?

Will the games on Steam that are also on XBLA/PSN be cheaper/mo 'spensive?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 13:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Saturnalian wrote:
Questions:

Yes. Dunno. Dunno.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 13:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
Questions:

1) Yes, quite a lot of stuff is PC exclusive simply because Steam is a much more open platform and far easier to release games on.

2) There's usually not much (if anything) in it for XBLA style games on a technical basis. I prefer XBLA for this style of game for the online leaderboards, simply because I have far more friends on XBLA. I suppose if there's a fairly large migration of people to Steam this could change.

3) Almost always cheaper, sometimes hugely so. Especially in sales and/or when they do Steam bundles.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 13:29 
Excellent Member

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
3) Almost always cheaper, sometimes hugely so. Especially in sales and/or when they do Steam bundles.

As an example, Trine 2 is currently on my 'to get' list and a quick comparison has it on at 1200 moon points (so just over a tenner) on XBLA but currently £3 on Steam due to a sale. Although obviously XBLA/PSN do sales sometimes they're much more common on Steam and you could save a ludicrous amount of cash if you were willing to pick things up as the sales happen rather than on launch day. Even on launch day I think most stuff is cheaper on Steam than on the other platforms.

As to the actual game selection there are platform exclusives obviously (e.g. Journey, Shadow Complex) but the vast majority of XBLA/PSN stuff I've been interested in has also come out on the PC via Steam. Indeed I've got a list of 'to get' games specifically for the PC now because of cool indie shit that will likely never be seen on the other platforms so the exclusivity thing works both ways.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 13:36 
Hello Hello Hello

The cheapness of games through Steam (and GOG and Origin and so on) is a major factor IMO.

Yes your upfront costs are more with a PC, but the cash that can be saved on games is staggering.

As you say, if you're prepared to wait for the sales, then AAA games are £15, or £10, or less, often within three to six months of release.

Deus Ex Human Evolution has been down at £3.49 on Steam more than once, and Max Payne 3 was £14.99 after about three or four months.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 13:41 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I like the sound of this, I don't necessarily think it is aimed at "PC gamers" but at laptop gamers. I have a fair few games for steam, but can't play all of them as my laptop gets too hot, I am not going to buy a gaming rig to play a few £5 steam sale games, but I might well pick up something like this if it came in at the right price.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 13:44 
What's this bit for exactly?

(1) Yes. There will also be games on XBLA and PSN that won't ever appear on Steam.
Steam is not a 'more open platform'. Its a PC games shop (what we in the trade call a 'portal')
PC games have a very low barrier to entry, unlike console games, so the number of devs who write PC only games is quite high. Conversely, small devs who do stump up for console devkits & licensing often won't have the time or inclination to make PC versions. The big publishers (the EAs of the world) will still churn out the big titles on every platform that has a userbase enough to justify the time involved. So CoD & the likes will be everywhere. FTL & many other interesting indy projects would turn up on Steam way before seeing the light of day on consoles.

(2) Probably they will be either better or worse, or also fairly likely to be almost identical ;)
Depends on the spec of the final box, but to a large extent it will just be the PC version which (a) makes it very attractive to developers, (b) adds the possibility of devs putting fixed quality modes as the target hardware is actually known. Could also have HW specific tweaks to make it run a bit better than on a random PC (which often aims for a medium current spec, with a few shaders & maybe larger textures for the higher settings)

(3) Yes and no. While there will be no 'licensing fee' of around $10 per copy that you get with console games that goes direct to the manufacturer, I would be surprised if the big budget games (CoD) would be any cheaper at launch on different platforms. Also, you can get XB & PS3 games on discounts from Amazon too, not to mention second hand. Steam stuff - you pay the price they say when they say it. Ok, they have sales too but I would not be overly surprised if there were NO disc drive and you could only buy the games via Steam, as that appears to be the point. Hence they have a console with only a single shop to use. Ever. (well, until someone cracks it, say 3 months after release) Historically, monopoly suppliers have not be known to be overly generous.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 13:54 
Bad Girl

That sounds overwhelming positive in the main. As long as there's lots of different stuff that you can't get on the consoles and would otherwise miss, I'm in.

Has this thing got a price point yet?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 14:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
That sounds overwhelming positive in the main. As long as there's lots of different stuff that you can't get on the consoles and would otherwise miss, I'm in.

Absolute pure speculation on my part, but I envisage £300, maybe £350.

If they can work with AMD using the new APU tech and get a slightly more powerful variant produced, you'd have a capable gaming PC in a tiny box retailing for under £300.

It also depends on whether or not they do different specs, sort of a LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH, or just have a single fixed spec.

They're going to want it to compete directly with the next-gen consoles on price, give or take.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 14:13 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say £199.

Valve seem to understand the digital market more than most, and should realise that getting boxes into peoples house so they can buy stuff is more important than anything else, and a cheap price point is essential.

I do have a small concern what this could do to the steam game prices, it wouldn't surprise me that if this takes off, the amount of sales and cheap goodness reduces...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 14:14 
Comfortably Dumb

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Absolute pure speculation on my part, but I envisage £300, maybe £350.

If they can work with AMD using the new APU tech and get a slightly more powerful variant produced, you'd have a capable gaming PC in a tiny box retailing for under £300.

It also depends on whether or not they do different specs, sort of a LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH, or just have a single fixed spec.

They're going to want it to compete directly with the next-gen consoles on price, give or take.

Plus the choice of OS will make a difference to that price. I hope, like the Doc mentioned, that they explore the Linux route as it might lead to Steam coming out for the likes of Ubuntu eventually.

Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next