Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Witcher 2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 15:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

Ok, so I bought this cheap on Steam.

I'm about an hour in, so far I have watched a hundred cutscenes about crap I wasn't interested in and didn't really make a huge amount of sense, probably partly due to the atrocious voice acting, done a tutorial about controls that made no real sense and were overly complex, watched more cutscenes, skipped a load of dialogue that was terminally boring, watch more cutscenes about people I don't care about, followed a guy around while he did more cutscenes, then I got to do something! Which was look though a telescope and press A. More cutscenes and boring dialogue and i'm now about to follow a guy up a ladder.

Do I actually get to do anything at any point, or should I just give up now and go play something more interesting.

Post subject: Re: The Witcher 2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 16:32 
Slightly Brackish

Trooper wrote:
Ok, so I bought this cheap on Steam.

I'm about an hour in, so far I have watched a hundred cutscenes about crap I wasn't interested in and didn't really make a huge amount of sense, probably partly due to the atrocious voice acting, done a tutorial about controls that made no real sense and were overly complex, watched more cutscenes, skipped a load of dialogue that was terminally boring, watch more cutscenes about people I don't care about, followed a guy around while he did more cutscenes, then I got to do something! Which was look though a telescope and press A. More cutscenes and boring dialogue and i'm now about to follow a guy up a ladder.

Do I actually get to do anything at any point, or should I just give up now and go play something more interesting.

I've had this unstarted for a couple of months now, I've heard mixed things although the main one was that people are put off by dodgy controls. Those that persevered and got "into" it found it pretty good though, if perhaps on the more linear side of the RPG genre. I'm still looking forward to it... one man's cutscenes and dialogue is another man's gripping plot exposition and character development after all :p

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 16:46 

I've heard that it is absolutely stellar, the only problems being dodgy controls and a steep learning curve due to a lack of tutorials about the dodgy controls. These things have apparently since been rectified in a patch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 16:54 
ugvm'er at heart...

There is a tutorial now, which tells you how to navigate the convoluted controls, which is helpful but doesn't actually fix anything :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 17:04 

Ah right! Well either way, it's supposed to be bloody brilliant once you get into it. I think I'm just gonna pick up the 360 version though at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:36 
Excellent Member

Normally i would agree with you since i hate games with too much exposition and cutscenes. But i made an exception for Witcher 2 since i loved the first one and its setting. But i have to agree that the beginning is quite slow (as was with the 1st) and if you didn't play the prequel, read it's wikipedia entry or something because some things may not be understandable.

Anyway, the game opens up and you really should preserve with it. It's also one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played. The forest on the 1st chapter is amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 17:17 
Terrible Human Being

I also found it works so much better with an XBox 360 pad which they pretty supported from day 1, which made the eventual 360 version Not A Big Surprise.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 17:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I've started playing the first one. It's quite good, but combat is fiddly as hell.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 18:37 
Excellent Member

the combat in the 1st one isn't very good. It's almost like QTE's. The game is very good despite that though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 0:12 

I have this! I installed disk 1 on the 360 but stupid good telly prevented me from playing. :(

Mrs WTB got me it for my birthday. I got the special super cardboard sleeve edition, which has a book and a map and a soundtrack CD!

I wanted to read the book but I've left it downstairs and the alarm is on now. :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:51 
Sleepyhead

Is this based on the books?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:04 
Skillmeister

Curiosity wrote:
Is this based on the books?

Yes it is. Hence why starting on the second one would mean losing quite a lot of back story leading to confusion and head wrinkles.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 0:34 

Seems great so far. Very pretty. Looks as though it has a fair old bit of depth. Looking forward to getting properly stuck in.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]