And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: New Red Dwarf
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:11 
SavyGamer

8)

New Red Dwarf Specials Confirmed
New specials? Proper information? After all the rumours? Oh smeg yes.

Reddwarf.co.uk has the facts. As announced by Robert Llewellyn for Grant Naylor Productions this week at the UKTV seasonal press launch, the project is a short series of brand new specials to celebrate the 21st birthday of Red Dwarf.

Doug Naylor will be masterminding the four half-hour instalments, and the regular cast will all be reprising their iconic roles. They are being made by GNP for UKTV's free-to-air channel, Dave - our new best friends!

Red Dwarf repeats on Dave - including an anniversary weekend run - have picked up remarkable numbers since the channel was reborn on Freeview, and it's becoming clear to all concerned that the show is picking a new, third generation audience. With the usual involvement from Red Dwarf partners BBC Worldwide, you can also expect international broadcasts to follow (and, we'd imagine, a top-quality DVD release in the fullness of time).

"It's very new news to me - I really only fully heard the details yesterday," Robert told comedian/host Michael McIntyre. "We're doing four new shows with the original cast. Two of them are going to be, like, proper episodes of Red Dwarf. One of them is so exciting I've been asked not to say anything about that because other people will steal the idea - and it is a great idea, quite challenging for us as performers. And the other one is a kind of behind-the-scenes-y... the truth. There's been so many rumours and gossip about Red Dwarf, about whether there's going to be a movie and whether we all get on, all those things... The downside for me, which is just dawning on me now, is I've got to do the 'rubber' thing again, which I haven't done for ten years."

For the record, and direct from the makers, the details of the four shows right now - while wholly subject to change - are:

Show One - The Making Of The Specials
A highly entertaining look at what goes on behind the scenes on a Red Dwarf production.
Show Two - Red Dwarf Special: Part One
The cast get back into character, and costume, a decade on...
Show Three - Red Dwarf Special: Part Two
The adventure continues...
Show Four - A Clip Show With a Serious Difference
The cast do it their way. Red Dwarf as you have never, ever seen it before!

The shows will broadcast sometime in 2009 and, if successful, could pave the way for further Red Dwarf TV projects. Thanks to movie and broadcaster wrangles, Grant Naylor haven't been in a position to produce new Red Dwarf since Series VIII went out to audiences of over eight million in 1999. This exciting development suggests a new and shiny future for everyone's favourite sci-fi comedy.

To be kept in the loop as we cover the new production, register your email address with reddwarf.co.uk in the box at the bottom of the page.

The Boys from the Dwarf are back!

:luv: :luv: :luv:

Happy Happy Happy.

Post subject: Re: New Red Dwarf
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:23 
Excellent Member

Bah! I'll believe excellence when I see it! Unless both the writers are involved, it will be terrible. And even if both are involved, it will likely be laboured and over-familiar.

I was brought so terribly low by series 7 and 8 of Red Dwarf that it even made it difficult for me to watch golden age episodes. I just dread another weary trotting out of 'space corps directive' jokes and smug playing up to braying fans who chortle at every 'smeghead'. Fuck off Red Dwarf. >:(

I used to love it so. Especially Claire Grogan. Now I hates it.

(Still love Claire Grogan mind.)

P.S: Sorry LewieP for my bah-humbugging of news that has clearly cheered you. :(

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:38 

Plus it's not "4 half hours", it's two, proceeded by a making of that'll no doubt ruin them in advance.

I'll watch the 2 but it's difficult to get that excited over, since it's Dave, will actually be a total of about 42 minutes actual Dwarf.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:06 
I forgot about this - how vain

Attachment:
RedDwarfReturn.gif

Sorry to be negative. But....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:26 
Chinny chin chin

Lave wrote:
Attachment:
RedDwarfReturn.gif

Sorry to be negative. But....

This. Although the earlier seasons were abit better than your graph.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:44 
SavyGamer

Well I guess nothing can ever be good ever and I might as well kill myself now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:50 
Engorged Member

I'm sorry but even though I love Red Dwarf I think it will be a cringing self parody. They'll have to get Craig Charles off the brown and out of women he shouldn't be in, and Kryten will have to be a different model as he is so much fatter now. Not to mention Chris Barrie's fatness. And which Kochanski will we be treated to?

It will truly be an accurate representation of the future with a sky high obestity rate amongst the crew! LOL!

Also, this is the logical continuation of the repackaging of my youth and selling it back to me.

Xbox 360 60Gb
Acer 5920G - Core2Duo T7300. Geforce 8600M. 4Gb RAM
Apple iPhone 3GS
Worcester Bosch 240RSF
Hotpoint WF541 (Graphite)
Beko ZA630 (Graphite)
Centurion CLN-155S
Sharp R209

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:02 
Full of plumptiousness

So it's one episode, split into two, with a 'making of' and a clip show either side of it? Wonderful.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:13 
Gogmagog

I am struggling to become excited over this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:14 
UltraMod

Series 5 and 6 were better than your graph, Lave. I'm starting to suspect that your methods are not wholly scientific!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:54 

Rob Grant not involved? Not interested.

Although I'll still watch it. And will probably shell out the money for the inevitable DVD to complete my "set".

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:28 
Honey Boo Boo

Clare Grogan still looked alright in Father Ted years ago, so she can't have wizened too badly since then. Is the rumour that she didn't appear in series 7 and 8 because she hated the scripts so much true?

In any event, it will likely be terrible. And the first two series, to my mind, were the best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:39 
Where are you?

Hugh wrote:
So it's one episode, split into two, with a 'making of' and a clip show either side of it? Wonderful.

It's basically an extended pilot. Dave is looking into making original content, and Red Dwarf re-runs have been among the channel's highest-rated stuff. Therefore, it's done what the BBC and the British Film Council inexplicably refused to do for years and stumped up the cash for another episode. (And if you're thinking "Well, everyone had a point, what with series 7 and 8 being a bit rubbish, bear in mind the British Film Council funded Sex Lives of the Potato Men, arguing against a Red Dwarf movie on the basis that it was "too commercial".)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You all suck. New Red Dwarf! SQUEEEEEEE!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:48 
Honey Boo Boo

New Kochanski was the worst woman on British TV at the time since that stupid tart they got to replace Denise Van Outen on Teh Beeg Breakfist.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:53 

Rimmer leaving in Series 7 basically removed the whole purpose of the show, for me. Lister getting on Rimmer's tits.

Having him back in Series 8 was "nice", but it wasn't "our" Rimmer, it was the old Rimmer who hadn't been living on his own with Lister for the past 6 series.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 13:04 
:insincere:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 13:16 
Honey Boo Boo

And even so, towards the end of the last few 'proper' series there wasn't nearly enough Lister v Rimmer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 14:16 
Peculiar, yet lovely

MetalAngel wrote:
New Kochanski was the worst woman on British TV at the time since that stupid tart they got to replace Denise Van Outen on Teh Beeg Breakfist.

She was rubbish, but in her defence, it may not have been her fault, as everyone was rubbish from that series on. The writing was just atrocious.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 17:06 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I can barely remember series 7 & 8. I've looked at the episodes on IMDB and can only vaguely remember a couple, but I know I watched them when they first aired.

I don't have high hopes, but I won't be disappointed if it's crap because there are so many ace episodes from the past.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 17:35 
Chu Jung?

myoptika wrote:
Series 5 and 6 were better than your graph, Lave. I'm starting to suspect that your methods are not wholly scientific!

:this:

Series 1, 4, 5 & 6 are probably my favourites. I recently picked up Series 3 for a fiver from Blockbuster, and was pretty shocked at how laugh-free I found it. 'Backwards' stands out as a clever episode, but still I never managed more than a light chuckle.

But although Red Dwarf defies the bell curve, the torture of series 7 & 8 is still too fresh in my mind to believe these new episodes are going to be anything other than a big pile of pish.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 18:24 

How you can prefer Series 4 to Series 2 I don't know, you must be broken.

I mean, "Better than Life", "Stasis Leak", "Thanks for the Memory"... all fantastic episodes. "Queeg" is also a classic. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the only truly weak episode in Series 2 is "Kryten". "Parallel Universe" is great, but doesn't really stand up to the hype surrounding it.

I will say one thing about Series 3 though - the "shrinking underpants" scene from "Polymorph" is consistently voted the viewer's favourite scene, but I've never really thought much of it. Although this could be due to Kryten not being able to find Lister's boxers after putting them on the bunk bed, despite them being CLEARLY visible right in front of his face.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 18:43 
Honey Boo Boo

It's because of Kryten still having his obscene vacuum hose still attached to his groin, and Rimmer declaring 'you'll bonk anything, won't you, Lister?'

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 18:46 
I forgot about this - how vain

LewieP wrote:
Well I guess nothing can ever be good ever and I might as well kill myself now.

I've just been hurt to many times to get my hopes up now.

I'll watch it, but I'm certainly not building myself up for a fall again.

myoptika wrote:

Yeah, they were. I loved 4, 5 and 6 at the time. Series 1 was awful, but 2 and 3 were good.

But I found 8 to be unwatchable. Though I say that with very little memory of what happened in then. I think it was so bad that my memories of it killed the brain cells that they inhabited.

Listers friends were dicks. Rimmer wasn't Rimmer. It was like a spin off show.

I hope the new episodes just cut to ten years later with a dead Rimmer, and aging no longer beautiful cat, Kryten falling apart and Lister still Lister, all alone and depressed - sort of like 'whatever happened to the likely dwarfs' or something.

If the one who left (Grant?) came back I would be excited. But until then...

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 21:47 
INFINITE POWAH

mrak wrote:
Also, wasn't Danny John-Jules arrested for smacking a postman in the face or something?

Not sure, but he was a vampire recently.

This will be rubbish, though, for the reasons already enumerated. It can't be good. At all. This is the one thing they managed to get the LHC to prove without doubt before Comical broke it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:20 
PC Gamer

GazChap wrote:
In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the only truly weak episode in Series 2 is "Kryten".

Man, you are BONKERS. Meeting the crew of the Nova 5 is probably the funniest scene Red Dwarf ever managed.

"I don't know if this is the time or the place to say this, but my mate Ace here is incredibly incredibly brave."

"But I was only away for two minutes!"

Anyway, I'm with the masses. There's not a chance in hell this'll be any good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:28 
Son of a Reaperman

Lave wrote:
Series 1 was awful...

What?! I reckon Series 1 was pretty good and then things started going downhill very slowly after that. I really enjoyed it just being basically Lister and Rimmer pissing each other off with occasional appearances from the Cat and Holly. When other characters started getting introduced/ getting more prominent roles it just overcomplicated things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:36 
Excellent Member

Crumbs, I'm disagreeing with Lave, didn't expect that.

I really like Series 1, its pretty funny and I like the rather desperate feel to it. Series 2 is pretty good as well. Series 3 is indeed a bit okayish, but four picks up a fair bit. Series 5 and 6 are quite good with some standout episodes. Series 7 and 8 no longer exist in my universe. Funnily enough I had a nightmare the night before Series 7 aired, I described it to my mate Eddy in college, about how I dreamt that Red Dwarf had gone all shit and unfunny. He reassured me that it wouldn't happen, that this was Red Dwarf we were talking about here.

The following morning we both walked in, shell-shocked. "What the fuck was that shite?" Subsequent episodes confirmed it. As for series 8 I watched one episode, and it was so bad I didn't bother with the others.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:48 
Excellent Member

Rodafowa wrote:
GazChap wrote:
In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the only truly weak episode in Series 2 is "Kryten".

Man, you are BONKERS. Meeting the crew of the Nova 5 is probably the funniest scene Red Dwarf ever managed.

"I don't know if this is the time or the place to say this, but my mate Ace here is incredibly incredibly brave."

"But I was only away for two minutes!"

Anyway, I'm with the masses. There's not a chance in hell this'll be any good.

Yeah but wasnt Kryten V.1 a bit rubbish looking and played rather irritatingly by someone else?
also the cringeworthy "what have you got?" bit at the end.

As far as I'm concerened series 7, and 8 never happened.
There will be no new red dwarf with aging actors and half the writers.
Also there were never any matrix sequels.
Say what you like , but I prefer my reality.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:55 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:03 
Not to be confused with elbow

Is it only on Dave then? :( I loves Red Dwarf. I even have some books somewhere, my fave is Backwards

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:35 
Where are you?

Shin wrote:
Is it only on Dave then?

For now. I suspect it'll dribble down to one of the BBC channels at some point, assuming enough people watch it. Dave is part-owned by the BBC after all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:40 
baron of techno

There's a TV channel called Dave then is there? Because that has been confusing me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:41 

kalmar wrote:
There's a TV channel called Dave then is there? Because that has been confusing me.

It's what used to be UK Gold 2.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:45 
UltraMod

Really? I thought it was UKTV Living. Or is that still going?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:47 

It's part of a subtle brain-washing scam to make you vote Tory.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:51 
Excellent Member

kalmar wrote:

Or 'Top-Gear-and-Ray-Mears-Extreme-Survival Channel' as I call it.

I got quite excited when I read LewieP's post but the susbsequent naysaying has depressed me ?:|
Mind you, I was far too eagerly awaiting Indy IV and look how that turned out.

I've never seen series 8, and thought 7 was patchy, but watchable. I think my favourite series were the middle ones from 4-6, when the production values got a bit better, but not too glossy as in 7.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:53 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:55 

myoptika wrote:
Really? I thought it was UKTV Living. Or is that still going?

I've no idea. It replaced "Bright Ideas" on Freeview.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Living is still there. It is full of TV Shows That Girls Watch.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:47 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

A quick look at Living TV's schedule suggests that women are interested in :

1) Other peoples problems.
2) Ghosts and magic.
3) Detectives.
4) Detectives who solve other peoples problems using ghosts and/or magic.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:52 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Precisely.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:53 
Not to be confused with elbow

Not ALL women. That stuffs all trash. Well, CSI is good-but is that classed as Detectives? Horation and Gibb, nom nom!

I am so pissed off because my digibox has lost LOADS of channels, and I can't watch Dave because I can't get iiiit :'(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 13:04 

Rodafowa wrote:
It's also the only funny gag in the amazingly shit American remake pilot.

"So Kryten, what have you been doing in the four million years since the crew died?"
"Well sir, I've been reading that FIRE EXIT sign."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 13:35 
Lurker

Squirt wrote:
A quick look at Living TV's schedule suggests that women are interested in :

1) Other peoples problems.
2) Ghosts and magic.
3) Detectives.
4) Detectives who solve other peoples problems using ghosts and/or magic.

Addendum to 2 and 4: and/or vampires.

My housemate is a woman and loves 2, 3 and 4, less so 1, thankfully. To Living's credit they also show the brilliant and criminally-underrated Boston Legal. "Denny Crane!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 13:43 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Scarysheep3000 wrote:
the brilliant and criminally-underrated Boston Legal. "Denny Crane!"

This and House are the best things on telly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 13:45 
Lurker

Craster wrote:
Scarysheep3000 wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 13:45 
Hibernating Druid

Shin wrote:
I am so pissed off because my digibox has lost LOADS of channels

Tried running set up again in the main menu?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 13:56 
PC Gamer

Scarysheep3000 wrote:
Craster wrote:
Scarysheep3000 wrote:

House is amazingly formulaic ("No, I realise that you've definitely got the diagnosis right this time but you haven't, 'cause there's still 15 minutes of the episode to go"), but is still somehow brilliant.

Have you seen anything of The Middleman? It's really good fun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 14:10 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Rodafowa wrote:
House is amazingly formulaic

That's just the lupus talking.

Reply to topic  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next