Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: 3D gaming
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 22:08 
La Bamba

Has any one tried 3D gaming yet? IE - put on a pair of silly glasses?

Oddly enough it's been one of the technologies I have ignored ever since its invention. I suffer from light flicker based sickness, so when I did finally try active 3D (shutter) I lasted about five minutes before wanting to hurl. Then a few months back I realised that there was more than one method of tricking your brain into seeing 3D images. The next method I tried was passive 3D. I didn't bother to test it out as I needed a new monitor any way, and when the chance to buy a 24" HDMI LG D2342 came up for £140 I just ordered it any way figuring if it made me hurl I could just use it as a 1080p monitor and have done.

I was wrong, though. For about five hours I was trying to figure out what the hell I was supposed to be looking for. That's an issue with 3D, every one who uses it and likes it just says "Yeah, it's awesome !" but doesn't bother to actually describe what it is you are supposed to be seeing in 3D.

I don't use it for every game now as it can be a little distracting. Walking along a road in Crysis and then getting blades of grass poking out of your monitor (popout I believe they call it) is terribly distracting. It's kind of hard shooting Koreans when you want to cover your eyes to prevent them getting poked in by huge blades of grass.

In other games though where it isn't as strong it's just immense. For example - Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 are simply amazing in 3D. The nice part is that neither of them really come at a cost performance wise and the effect is simply stunning. Melee weapons are far more accurate as you have a genuine feeling of how long they are which makes timing your swings far more accurate, and hurling a pipe bomb and standing close as the body parts fly is an experience that every one needs to see.

The Dirt series games are also amazing. Dashboard depth is so realistic it seems like you can reach out and tweak the dials.

Only issue is that it does come at a cost. So much of a cost that to play the more modern titles you need serious graphical grunt as it cuts the framerates in half.

So, is any one else using 3D? or thinking about it?

Post subject: Re: 3D gaming
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 22:16 

Haven't tried it. Don't have the means to. But if it's anything like cinema 3D I'm happy without it.

Side point: You seem... Familiar... What sort of rig you runnin'?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 22:35 
La Bamba

Which one?
There's the "makes the national power grid wince when you start it up" PC

And the smaller medium spec PC that's good for the TV.

Yes, I really have a thing for cheap GTX 480s.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 22:35 
Bad Girl

I played Gothem City on PS3 in teh freedeez, and found it uncomfortable when swishing the camera about. The depth was ace when the camera was still though. I thought the level of detail in the game was the problem from what little I played. I did get the feeling that a game like, oh I don't know, Shadow of the Collosus would be TEH AWESOMEZ in 3D. And not just because I'm in love with it. Although I am.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 22:37 
Bad Girl

(um, is JC back? Have we been duped?)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 22:37 
La Bamba

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are immense in 3D also. Though it's not quite as exciting as having Zombie guts flying at you from every angle.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 22:38 
La Bamba

Ian Fairies wrote:
(um, is JC back? Have we been duped?)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7335&start=210

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 22:39 
Bad Girl

Hello. Stay off the coffee. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 16:11 
La Bamba

Just played Sonic Generations in 3D and it's truly spectacular. Up until this point the best game/s to play in 3D were the Trine games. Sonic however is truly astounding. There's about a foot of depth, but the 3D stages are just absolutely mind blowing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 16:25 
SavyGamer

I want one of these.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]