Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is a PS3 worth getting yet?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 21:47 
I forgot about this - how vain

Dark Souls.

I love Dark Souls so much that I want to play Demon Souls. Which would mean I need a PS3.

Are there any other exclusives that could convince me this isn't fiscal madness? And people with both a 360 and a PS3, hows that working out for you?

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

Post subject: Re: Is a PS3 worth getting yet?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 21:59 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I have both and play my PS3 less than rarely.

I imagine this view will be shared by a few others but I prefer the social aspect of the Xbox. Even when I'm not actually playing with anyone, its nice to see people online.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 22:46 

The resistance and uncharted series of games are both excellent and better examples of what they are than anything similar I've played on the Xbox. Demons Souls is great though not having played Dark Souls I don't know if it might feel like a bit of a downgrade with aspects having been improved for the sequel. Mine gets used quite a lot, both for games and for blu ray disks also for the iplayer and whatnot but I think that's coming to Xbox anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 22:54 

Uncharted is fantastic. Killzone/Resistance I thought were average.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 22:58 
Paws for thought

I own both and am happy with the situation. There are certainly enough exclusives that I don'tregret buying it in any way.

The ratchet and Clank games. Humourous and fun. (Well, Quest for Booty isn't actually all that fun, and apparently the new 4 player one is of dubious quality)
Resistance 3: Old school shooter. No recharging health makes battles something other than sitting behind walls while you recover. And fun weapons too. And no limits on carrying said fun weapons. My favourite shooter in ages. (Although its in the unfortuanate position of vying for my time with Dark Souls. It's not doing so well on that score, but it is rather good.
Personally, I found Little Big Planet to be excellent fun, mainly for coop hijinks though. I know others gave it fairly short shrift, mind. It has Henry VIII in it.

Uncharted series can be fun, although I get tired of the combat fairly quickly.
If you liked Crackdown, Infamous is rather similar in its superhero charging round cityness. A few jagged edges, but it is rather cheap. Noth something I'd get the system for, but something worth a try if you do get it.

Ico/SOTC collection may appeal. As indeed may other remakes of older games (God of War trilogy, Prnce of Persia trilogy etc etc) if that's your kind of thing.

I'd imagine you'd rather like Super Stardust HD, as I seem to remember you were a fan of similar things like Geometry wars.

Demons souls, obv. Although in terms of quality, I would say Dark Souls is a fair jump above it (Mainly for the interlinked world rather than hub world, and the estus flasks), although I haven't played it anywhere near as much so not entirely qualified to ake that assertion.

Main negatives of the system:
-The controller. It's a 15 year old design and frankly , way out of date. Uncomfortable. I have a gioteck HF-2 which is many times better. Not quite a s comfortable as the XBox one. Only problem there is it has no motion controller bits in it. Which doesn't matter for most of the time, but some tend to stick in ridonculous minigames and the like which need it.
-Updates - They're slow and large. But they do stay on the disk at least, so they're only required once.
-Playstation home. It's frankly embarrassing even having it on a console.
-Store is hard to find things in and generally has fewer/less* demos. It does have full games, but they go for stupid prices and so may as well not exist.

Other things to note:
- I found one of the cho aniki games on PSN store. I have a horrible feeling I''m going to wake up one day having unwittingly bought it (See: Papa roach, Serious Sam 2)

* - Delete as you wish.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 23:06 

Hmm, thanks guys. That all sounds about right.

I really want demon souls, although from the sounds of it it will be a big step back. Farming health potions instead of the sublime Estus system seems like it would make the game yucky.

Ico and sotc - god yes, wanted to play these for years.
And a spiffed up version of sands of time? Yes please!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 23:09 
chewbacca -future arc welder

I have always considered a PS3 but (in the adverts at least) the graphics always look less good. Is this the case and does it really bother anyone when playing?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 23:29 
Paws for thought

krazywookie wrote:
I have always considered a PS3 but (in the adverts at least) the graphics always look less good. Is this the case and does it really bother anyone when playing?

It's not really the case (Although I don't get multiplatform titles on it for the aforementioned controller issue, they may differ)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 23:40 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Thats encouraging and BTW I played Little Big Planet on a mates console and loved it. The only other game I tried was GT5 and found it ultra poor compared to forza3.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 23:43 
SavyGamer

Bear in mind that the POP HD trilogy is pretty sloppily done, but it is basically what it says on the tin.

Best deal on a PS3 in a while.

There's lots of great PSN games that are exclusive too, Flower, the pixeljunk games stand out in particular.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 0:51 
Excellent Member

I own both and am very happy with the PS3. I prefer to play games on the 360 due to, as others have said, the controller being better; but in practise the PS3 pad is good enough to not bother me really. Having both means I can take advantage of cheap games no matter the platform and this independance has probably saved me a good bit of cash e.g. the PSN store sold me Rush'N Attack for £2 recently while the 360 version is still over a fiver and, conversely, the recent XBLA sale saw me getting Stacking for half price. Oh, and getting a free copy of the PC version of Portal 2 was a compelling reason to pick up the PS3 version. The reason for actually buying the PS3 was the exclusives and I'd thoroughly recommend the God of War series, all the Uncharted games, Flower, Little Big Planet and Wipeout HD. Heavy Rain was flawed but a worthwhile experience if you can get it cheap. One of the biggest uses for me though is as a media player. Obviously it's got the ability to play Blu-ray discs but more useful to me than that is it's handling of downloaded HD video files. mkv2vob will take a downloaded mkv file of a TV episode in HD and spit out a PS3 compatible file in about thirty seconds (it doesn't have to actually convert it, just refomat it slightly) which can then be slapped onto a memory stick and played directly from there. To accomplish the same thing with an Xbox means a time-consuming conversion to some shitty WMV format variant and brings the 'bonus' of not handling surround sound at all.

ETA: Forgot to mention that the iPlayer, 4OD and ITV player integration is incredibly handy. And the graphics are just as good as the Xbox, I've never heard of anyone thinking otherwise until this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:35 
Excellent Member

I have owned 3 ps3's in the past at different times always with one outcome. It got sold due to me not using it enough.

Any multiplatform game got bought for the 360 as the controllers are built for adult hands. They fit my hands well and the ps3 ones feel flimsy and small, also the playing anything that requires prolonged use of the trigger buttons mean your fingers start to slip off them.

I always found Live to be much better than PSN, yes, Live costs, but I'd rather pay £30 a year for a better service than getting a ropey one for free, like I'd rather pay £17 for 24mb broadband from Be than get it for £5 from talktalk!

There are some great exclusives though. The God of War series are great fun, the Uncharted series are superb and Little Big Planet is nice for a while if you like that kind of thing. Killzone is also a good blast too. Personally, I didn't like the two Resistance titles I played, thought they were a bit primitive compared with others available.

There is also the little trick on the PS store where if you have a few trustworthy friends that you can share your passwords with, you can also share your paid for downloads, which is a nice little bonus. Although you can't take the piss, you can only download them on 4 different machines.

I always found the best feature of a ps3 is the blu-ray playback and use of 4OD and Iplayer. Its much more of a media all-rounder than the 360, but if you are a gamer at heart like myself, the only thing you switch your console on for is to play games, not watch films!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:39 
Worst

MrHobbs wrote:
but if you are a gamer at heart like myself, the only thing you switch your console on for is to play games, not watch films!

Myself is a gamer at heart and I switch my console on to watch films: I don't have a separate BD player.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:14 
Excellent Member

I have both and hardly ever use the PS3, but if you want a bluray player its a good excuse

The exclusives I have are

Uncharted series - excellent
God Of War - Good
Heavy Rain - really great interactive movie type thing
MGS4 - its metal gear but prettier...

worth £200 I reckon, but only just.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:26 
Bad Girl

Everything lacesensor said but with massive praise for Resistence 3 which is the best FPS this year.

God of War 3 is tremendous though. Killzone 2 is pretty funky although avoid 3 like the plague.

Ico/Shadow of the Collosus will enthral if you've never played them before.

Oh and The Last Guardian will no doubt be out next year sometime and make you the envy of 360 only owners.

I've never had a problem with the joypad despite its outdated design. I tried Dark Souls on the 360 and prefer the pad setup of the PS3, although that might be due to sinking 80 odd hours into it.

I'll definitely be picking up Demons Souls again so they'll be lots to discuss when you've got one!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:03 
Excellent Member

Btw, If you like metal gear solid, no.2, 3 and peace Walker are out in Feb on a HD collection for the 360. Ace!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 14:16 

Ian Fairies wrote:
Oh and The Last Guardian will no doubt be out next year sometime and make you the envy of 360 only owners.

Heh. We've been saying this for three years now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 20:37 
and!

I use the 360 for playing games.
I use the PS3 for watching stuff.

The PS3 was a bit of a waste of money, really.

Comedy podcast, films and that - http://www.wenton.co.uk - Now with Hammer horror special

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 21:56 

My new telly plays .mkv files straight up. It's awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 22:04 

LewieP wrote:
Best deal on a PS3 in a while.

Ah, I genuinely thought PS3s would be cheaper than that by now. My 360 cost that yonks and yonks ago.

Ah well, I'll wait a bit longer, or keep an eye out for a 2nd hand model.

But you guys have convinced me, ICO/SOTC (and the new vapourware one) + Demon Souls + Flower + God of War + Uncharted + Heavy Rain....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 22:15 
Bad Girl

*cough*Resistence 3*cough*

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 22:25 

Resistance 3 looks terrible. But as you recommended Dark Souls I will trust you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:04 
Excellent Painter

I look forward to the cries of anguish when you get your PS3 and have to sit there for four hours doing updates in-between inputting all of your personal data.

I lost mine in a custody battle with my ex — well, when I say lost, I mean I let her keep it as it was the principal DVD player. I thought I could always get another one. Have I? Well, five months later, no, I haven't.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:19 

WTB wrote:

But can it send Bluray audio formats to an amp?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:21 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
WTB wrote:

How does it handle Bluray audio formats?

Mine does the same - audio is fine mostly. I just avoid DTS as it's unsupported, or convert to AAC.

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]