Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Should I blog for the HuffPost UK version?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:04 
I forgot about this - how vain

So I've just been offered a blog for the Huffington Post (uk version).

Should I take it? From a quick google and asking on twitter I'm pretty certain you don't get paid. It seems quite exploitative to me, but the attention it would get would be interesting. Especially for the kinda audience I would never normally get.

Hmmm.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

Post subject: Re: Should I blog for the HuffPost UK version?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:05 
Hibernating Druid

Ask them to treble it.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:05 
Sleepyhead

Aren't HuffPost notorious for Bad Science?

I think you should do it, just to improve their sciencey reportings.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:07 

As someone who's paid to blog for TUAW (which is part of the AOL/HuffPo conglomerate), I'd answer with a resounding "maybe". It is exploitative, and it definitely contributes to lower rates for people like me, but it can get you a bigger audience for stuff you were going to write for free anyway. It's very similar to the debate we had about one of NervousPete's photos being used for free by some magazine or other.

For myself, if TUAW stopped paying me, I'd stop writing for them. If I'm writing for free, I want to own everything about the site.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:09 
I forgot about this - how vain

See thats my thinking too.

Despite googling bringing links like this

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 13:53 
Where are you?

Dr Lave wrote:
Should I take it? From a quick google and asking on twitter I'm pretty certain you don't get paid. It seems quite exploitative to me, but the attention it would get would be interesting. Especially for the kinda audience I would never normally get.

Who retains the rights to the work? If it's you, that's one thing, but if it's them, I'd think twice and instead consider just setting up your own blog (if you haven't already).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 14:11 
SavyGamer

Free work does sometimes turn into paid work. When I started doing the bargain bucket for RPS, I was doing it for free, then when they could afford to (when they got a new ad deal and their income jumped overnight) they started paying me.

But it seems crazy to me that AOL want people to work for them for free. It seems like an ideological decision, rather than one out of necessity, there's clearly enough money in the company to pay people a fair price for content.

Aside from taking your words, what are they offering you? Are they going to hook you up with useful contacts? What kind of editorial relationship are they offering? Have you asked about potential paid work down the line?

In fact, vaguely relevant (from this):

Quote:
There are lots and lots offers to contribute to web sites for free “at the moment”, with an offer of pay further down the line. The reality of the market that even with the best intentions, not all of these websites will grow into profitable enterprises. Working for free can be an excellent stepping stone to getting paid work, but I would recommend caution in choosing who you will and won’t work for without getting paid.

I’d strongly suggest you only work for people who’s work you are happy to be associated with. Are they doing a good job of the site they run? Are you impressed with their editorial outlook? Do they look like they are going places? Are they interested in building a respectful relationship with you as a writer? These are all questions you should be asking before ever giving away the fruits of your labour for free.

There is plenty you can get for working for free, but I’d certainly like to know specifically how they intend to get you exposure. Have they got a sizeable audience? Are they well connected within the wider industry? Do any of their other writers get paid work at any other publications? Are they going to link back to your blog?

If you’ve got a clear idea of exactly what you are getting out of it, you are far less likely to be taken advantage of.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 16:48 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Is it worth discussing the possibility of payment in future - perhaps you could offer to do six months for free, then renegotiate?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 20:26 
Excellent Member

Huffington built a massive brand off people working for free and then sold it to AOL for $315m. And you think they are going to start paying people now?

Unless you become the next celebrity, you are never going to be paid for it. It is their business model.

Edit: From http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/ap ... -post-sale

Quote:
Last month, when visiting London, Huffington defended her policy further. She said "there's got to be a distinction between everybody who works for a media company and everybody who blogs for a media company", and noted that all media organisations depended on unpaid contributions. "If people go on Newsnight, they don't get paid," she added.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 21:38 

No.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]