Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Holidaying
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:14 
Hello!

So me and the girlfriend are thinking on going on holiday after the summer on a budget. Anyone got any suggestions of places they have been that are fairly cheap, I can find flights to thailand for about £4-500 and I imagine it will be a hell of a lot cheaper on accomodation there then it would in somewhere in europe with good weather, but the flights would be less than half of that probably to get to spain or something.

Any suggestions/stories would be great!

Ta!

Post subject: Re: Holidaying
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:17 
Excellent Member

Prague is cheap (if you avoid the tourist traps). And stunningly beautiful.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:27 
Excellently Membered

Sweden is supposed to be quite nice... or you Norway.

At the moment I'd say anywhere outside the EU is probably going to be cheaper for a holiday.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:32 
itsallwater wrote:

Summer will be pretty much over by the time we want to go somewhere early/mid september.
But summer here is very nice! No I understand why pretty much everyone who has a normal full time job takes their 5 weeks of holiday in it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 17:25 
Excellently Membered

Doesn't everyone there get 5 weeks of Holiday just for the summer?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 17:28 
Gogmagog

I spent a fortnight in Santa Ponsa, Majorca for £230per person a decade ago. We had our photos taken for the Virgin Holidays brochures, presumably because I'm pro and I think she was northern, but I can't recall properly, so covering the demographic. It was an interesting time, suffice to say, the best thing was the fact that the vending machine had beer in it, and housekeeping would turn up at 8am every morning. In fact, I'm 99% sure I've still got the photos of that holiday under my bed somewhere, unless MrsA's gone Stalin on them. However, when we got off the plane there was a bus to take us to the hotel and stuff. It was all terribly exciting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 19:20 
Chinny chin chin

MaliA wrote:
I spent a fortnight in Santa Ponsa, Majorca

I was trying to work out where I had heard of this place before and then realised it rhymed with "Costa Plonka" the location of the Are You Being Served movie where they all go to Spain as was the way with 1970's sitcoms.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 20:01 
Excellent Member

If you can agree on the dates you can then look at last minute deals

They are usualy cheap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 20:23 

I keep on hearing good things about Croatia and the other former Yugoslav states. Cheap and sunny, apparently.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 20:45 
Gogmagog

chinnyhill10 wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I spent a fortnight in Santa Ponsa, Majorca

I was trying to work out where I had heard of this place before and then realised it rhymed with "Costa Plonka" the location of the Are You Being Served movie where they all go to Spain as was the way with 1970's sitcoms.

Heh. It rained loads one day, and the only English speaking tv channel was the news. I changed traveller's checks at the post office with my poor Spanish. In fact, I think it was there that we had a long discussion about Traci Chapman's music on a rooftop restaurant as the stars shone down. It would have been a short conversation, but we'd been drinking and she was speaking in a nigh on impenetrable Yorkshire accent, and her pronunciation was all over the place. Nevertheless, it was a nice enough evening and after dinner we had drinks on the beach. No chips, though. I never did quite work out why she wore full make up to the beach the next day, sun tan lotion would have been far more appropriate. The other days were spent reading in the beach in the sun, swimming in the pool before dinner and then choosing from any variety of restaurant that serves a full English breakfast to scourges at 11pm at night, then drinking antifreeze from a fishbowl through a straw whilst street vendors flogged knock off no fear caps and shirts with Beckham on the back, all the time dodging random acts of violence as the Manchester lads met the Bolton lads and argued over who saw some lass first. I must dig out those photos some time. It was on that trip I discovered how the other half live.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 21:46 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
I must dig out those photos some time. It was on that trip I discovered how the other half live.

Well this was clearly your transportation.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 21:53 
Chinny chin chin

Clearly in the best tradition of a fading 1970's sitcom we need to go on a group holiday to spain, only to find not only is the hotel is half finished but, oh no, World of ('Linda' - Ed) have booked the same hotel for the same week. With hilarious consequences.

NB: Why is Reg Varney taking Blakey up the arse?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 23:19 
Excellent Member

Plissken wrote:
Prague is cheap (if you avoid the tourist traps). And stunningly beautiful.

Prague is awful. It's like Disneyland for adults, but worse than it sounds. The whole historic center is a tourist trap, and full packed with way to many tourists. It's seems like the city doesn't have a life of its own. Besides, Czechs are slightly less friendly than Nazguls.

I'm going next months to the Azores. I've heard amazing things and it's yet off the beaten track, so it's a good option before it gets flooded with visitors.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 23:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

RuySan wrote:
Czechs are slightly less friendly than Nazguls.

Harsh, but :DD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:52 
asfish wrote:
If you can agree on the dates you can then look at last minute deals

They are usualy cheap

Im unsure if the whole "last minute" thing is a big thing here in sweden!

Croatia sounds interesting... I'll have a look

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:07 

RuySan wrote:
Prague is awful. It's like Disneyland for adults, but worse than it sounds. The whole historic center is a tourist trap, and full packed with way to many tourists. It's seems like the city doesn't have a life of its own.

Although it's busy, it's worth seeing. If you can, go to the castle in the evening. It's usually deserted aside from the soldiers marching across the quad every twenty minutes or so to change the guard, and it's cool to wander around the ancient complex in the twilight.

So many people go to Prague, but Czech is full of so many other great towns. Cseky Krumluv, a preserved medieval city, is amazing, and Pilsen and Cseky Budjovice (Budweis) have great town squares (and, er, famous industries...)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:14 
Excellent Member

itsallwater wrote:

At the moment I'd say anywhere outside the EU is probably going to be cheaper for a holiday.

Sweden and Norway, perhaps two of the most expensive countries in Europe to travel in....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:18 
LaceSensor wrote:
itsallwater wrote:

Sweden and Norway, perhaps two of the most expensive countries in Europe to travel in....

I know.. Im living there now!

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]