Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Xbox 360 Demos
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 14:19 
Time Out for Fun

In the past week or so 3 new demos have come out, all new or forgotten IPs, and they've been the first demos I've downloaded in what seems like months.

Anyway they are El Shaddai, Driver: San Francisco, and Bodycount.

El Shaddai looks pretty amazing at times, although the characters themselves look a bit rough but it looks very unique. But the gameplay is a bit baffling, fighting is barely explained and blocking seems to work sporadically, while the jumping sections are incredibly floaty and imprecise. I was reading reviews that the story and world of the game is meant to be excellent and has been rated quite highly so far, but just seems weird that the demo doesn't explain anything and leaves you completely bewildered. I was expecting the game to be weird but I didn't have clue who I was or what was going on, I wanted to like it but I can't see me ever playing this unless you lot rave about it.

Driver: San Francisco, an ever decreasing reputation of this series has left me pretty much sceptical about this version but I pretty much enjoyed the one (there's 3) mission I did in the demo. They've got rid of the on foot sections and have made it solely driving again like the good driver games, except now you can shift into nearby cars, which is the main gimmick of the game. You press a button and start to hover over the car, you then move and aim a reticle to the car you want to shift to and start driving. The first mission on the demo shows how tanner is trying to persuade his cop partner that he can do this, involving him shifting into some jerk drivers car and making him do stuff like jumps and catch police attention. The car handling reminded me a bit like split/second and the city itself looked a bit like a smarted and bit prettier than the one in the wheelman demo. The story and dialogue is atrocious but the games fun if a bit basic, apparently there is over 200 missions which seems a bit overkill, and also multiplayer which looks a bit like blur which was excellent and no one played.

Bodycount, I haven't played yet, but its by the guys that did black so it's got some potential.

EDIT: There's now a multi-player Driver demo, and El Shaddai seems to have been added again, not sure if it willbe any different.

Post subject: Re: New Xbox 360 Demos
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 14:20 

Thanks man, I'll check these out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 14:51 
SavyGamer

Up until fairly recently Bodycount was slated for PC too :(

Edit: I don't have live gold any more, so need to wait a week for these demos, but El Shaddai looks like the shit. Had it on my radar for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 15:38 
Hibernating Druid

El Shaddai looks very good from the youtube vid I just watched. I'll grab that demo tonight.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 16:23 
Bad Girl

I play El Shaddi (on normal as it defaults to Easy) and thought it was just a terrible boring mess. It looks The Shit but plays like shit. I'm a huge fan of the nails hard DMC's and Ninja Gaiden's of the world which El Shaddi's combat apes and I was really looking forward to getting this regardless of any demo, but after playing the demo I will definately not be bothering. Terrible terrible terrible.

I'll be downloading Bodycount later on though!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 16:27 
Hibernating Druid

Bollocks.

Oh well, I might have a look anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 16:29 

I know a guy who is working on Bodycount - gonna have to check it out. He wouldn't tell me about the Wii U devkits they recently got in. :(

edit: Heh, I actually know a guy working on Driver as well. But he's based in the UK where they've outsourced a lot of the modelling work - the environments and the cars.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 16:54 
Bad Girl

Play Soul. Yes you.

I can't see anyone enjoying El Shaddi. I had a right nightmare dropping through the scenery at one point which just seemed stupid. I loved the artwork (on the scenery. The enemy design is distinctly bland by comparison) but it shouldn't interfere with the basics of play. It clicks after a couple of goes but it never felt comfortable but that was due to the double jump being less maneouverable than you expect.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 17:27 
Hibernating Druid

Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:30 
Hibernating Druid

I done played it through last night. Soul that is.

Very good. Made me shout, made me smile and made me jump a few times*.

Well worth 80pts.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Bloody spooky face cut scene!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:30 
Hibernating Druid

Double postage!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:54 
UltraMod

Zardoz wrote:
Double postage!

That's two lots more than you put on that CD you sent me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:54 
Hibernating Druid

:DD

Did you go and pay for it in the end?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:11 
UltraMod

Zardoz wrote:
:DD

Did you go and pay for it in the end?

Did I fuck. I hope someone out there has a nice CD, seeing as it obviously didn't make its way back.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:42 
Hibernating Druid

A nice CD with bizarre put downs written all over it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 13:05 
Bad Girl

Zardoz wrote:
I done played it through last night. Soul that is.

Very good. Made me shout, made me smile and made me jump a few times*.

Well worth 80pts.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Bloody spooky face cut scene!

Glad you liked it. I'm surprised no one on here has played it as its a little gem. I do love something a little dark and edgy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 13:24 
Hibernating Druid

Ian Fairies wrote:
I do love something a little dark and edgy.

Send me your address.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 13:45 
Bad Girl

Erm... Think I'll pass. Thanks!

Anyway, if you wanna take a look at another Indie Game that's a little strange try 'A Madmans Guide to Happiness'. Try the trial first to see if it interests you. There's less game than Soul mind but it's equally disposal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 15:01 
Honey Boo Boo

Driver: SF is shit.

Quote:
Judging by the demo, this sucks.

Mission 2: The teammate AI actually works against you... as soon as you 'shift' out of a car, it immediately slows down and allows the two rivals to get past. Towards the end I was actually jumping back and forth every second just to ensure they kept the accelerator planted to, you know, drive fast along the straight, clear road ahead.

Mission 3: Oh good. An infinite number of cops, all who can accelerate like they've been fired out of a railgun, smashing into me from every direction at once. Meanwhile, my dislikable character and his superior exchange the world's stupidest quips every time something hits me (so, constantly)

Are all these cars carrying a load of fucking bricks? Are their tires bald? Why do I accelerate so much slower than my pursuers? Is this really what you think Hollywood car chase power sliding should feel like in a game ? What are arbitrary fucking time limits doing in a game in 2011? How can I care about the story when the characters are so annoying I had to turn the voice volume down to zero? Why does Tanner, a cop, want to help an illegal street racing team? Why are there cable car tracks outside the Transamerica Pyramid?

Here's something to try in the demo, though. Go into a power slide, while charging up the 'ram' button. Release it. If that's how we're meant to corner in this game, they really are nuts. I'm just frustrated that yet another Driver game is utterly failing to fulfil its potential as a driving playground for fun, varied missions in cars. The ridiculous 'shifting' thing had potential (more if they weren't so damned po-faced about it being a serious thing in the story) for allowing lots of hijinx, but the usual bad mission design is letting it down again.

Bodycount is slightly less shit:

Quote:
Played. Had to, really, it's got a G36 on the cover.

Oh dear.

The biggest problem is, of course, the fact that you become rooted to the spot when you aim down the sight. They want you to unlearn the last six or seven years of FPS shootery (on a joypad, that is) and that's not going to happen. Not when the reward is so very very poor. Being able to lean is cool, but entirely unnecessary in an action shooter like this. Milsims have lean to ensure that you don't catch the single bullet that will kill you. Here, you gasp your way back to health like a good action hero. It also means that crouching down to take cover is a lot harder to do, and I'm sure in a crucial situation you WILL end up fumbling the controls and not getting your head down in time. This whole thing isn't aided by the fact that a) you don't actually aim down the sights any more than you are when firing from the hip, and b) soldiers are able to and indeed do, walk around (albeit slowly, as seen in countless other games) with their weapons raised and ready to fire.

So what are we left with? How about some INCREDIBLY sluggish controls? You'll be killed in seconds if you don't turn up the look sensitivity as soon as you start, and even with it on 100% it still wasn't quite quick enough for my liking (my liking is usually around 75% or 'fast' in games). Plus, there is almost a full second's pause between pushing the stick and your guy even starting to turn. The result of all this was I was struggling in the fights at first, as the little sidesteps I would take while aiming down the sights weren't possible, it took me forever to turn to face a new threat and I couldn't draw a bead fast enough to shoot them and then quickly let go to properly move back into cover - in case I hadn't taken the time to properly position myself behind something so I could then lean out as the game wants me to do.

Shooting this off doesn't bode well for a shooter. The G36 itself (wonderful weapon IRL) felt weedy both in its report and in the impact... I just kinda sprayed towards an enemy and they kinda fell over, no sense of power. The shotgun was a lot better but inappropriate for much of the mission, filled as it was with snipers. The actual snipers, with actual sniper rifles, were killed so easily thanks to their guard towers exploding regardless of where I shot (a concession to the shoddy shooting?) that I couldn't believe it was that easy. Not as easy, though, as the dreaded militia leader, who after a huge buildup, a worrying entrance (he crashes through a wall) and alarming appearance (huge guy carrying a huge gun) fell after just half a clip from my gun, fired in one burst.

All that remained was to carry out the one objective, though it took spraying bullets everywhere to realize that some of the walls were impenetrable metal and others were almost indistinguishable but destructible wood.

This isn't OTT at all... a few bright pickups strewn around (not explained in the demo), the world's least exciting jump (he doesn't even grunt like a convincing FPS hero) and some weird multipliers totting up (also not explained) struck me not as being OTT and wacky so much as slightly retro. No bad thing, but not endearing me either.

So:
-interesting attempt to change the tried and tested ADS that fails
-boring enemies
-colourful scenery, for a change!
-weedy guns
-seriously uninspired structure (wow, a woman in my ear is setting waypoints for me)
-stiff controls
-old school pickups and scoring that might be cool if they'd bothered explaining how they work

Oh, and here's a little tip, guys: don't fucking kick me back to the Dashboard when I finish the demo. I might want another go (I did) but I don't see why I should sit through your corporate logos and licensing screens again.

'Not representative of quality of final product'? Don't send it out to try and convince people to buy your game, then. Sorry, but this will be best enjoyed two weeks after release for £20. You should have released it a month ago during the summer games drought, instead of pitching it against Deus Ex, Red Orchestra 2 and Gears of War 3.

EDIT: Oh, forgot one thing: I had no idea what was happening... whether the government soldiers were on my side or not. It turns out no, they're not, it's me vs the world.

EDIT EDIT: As per LazyNinja's comment below, I went back and tried again. Yes, pulling the trigger only halfway in puts you into more traditional ADS mode where you can still walk freely around. However, in the heat of battle, trying to maintain the correct pressure while making violent controller adjustments otherwise often meant I was unconsciously pulling the trigger too far and going into lean mode.

And a thought on Bodycount:

Quote:
As I was getting into bed last night, a thought struck me about the whole "wait for the bargain bin" thing.

Consider Battlefield 3 or MW3 (and suspend your inner fanboy). Huge amounts of content, loads of game modes, so so much to see and do.

Now consider Bodycount's content... There's no way it'll match either of those two heavy hitters.

Why on earth would you pay full price for Bodycount (£34 on Amazon) when you get so much more at full price for Battlefield 3 (£38)? To put it another way: I'd be much, much more inclined to pay £20 or even £25 for a little game like Bodycount to have a few days of fun with because I know that's about how long it'll last. Or in another other way (the beloved car analogy) they're charging Mercedes money for a Vauxhall.

(all words by me)

Spend the money on Techno Kitten Adventure instead, and use the £35-odd you have left over on wasabi peas from M&S. Also, what are you doing talking about and playing games that aren't CoD BLOPS?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 18:05 
Time Out for Fun

Two new demos, Madden for people who like big bulky men in big padded armoury looking gear, and Warhammer 40k: Spacemarines for people who like big bulky men in bid padded armoury looking gear.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:05 

That Spacemarines looks genuinely decent. Anyone given it a bash yet?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 21:48 
Bad Girl

I agree with Metalangel. About Bodycount. For a game about big guns and devestation the pleasure of blasting away some super sexy assault rifle was stagnant and the G36c sure sounded tinny.

And if you liked that Warhammer XBLA game you'll surely like the Warhammer demo cause it's the same but with a bigger budget with a Gears perspective. I didn't. Repetative clone with near game breaking 'stun and finishing move' which gives you energy each time you do it makes you invincible. Repeat and rinse on hoards of aliens shouting 'Space Marine' every 10 seconds. Bored and deleted.

Street Fighter Third strike was good though!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:14 
Hibernating Druid

WTB wrote:
That Spacemarines looks genuinely decent. Anyone given it a bash yet?

It was nice at first then I realised I was playing a shit version of GoW but set within W40k universe. The jump pack control is terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:24 

Awww.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:26 
Hibernating Druid

The sound of the chainsword is awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 0:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I liked it. Couldn't figure out one of the weapons, though (sort of like a grenade launcher, or something?). I also disliked the jump pack level.

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]