Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: American right-wing loonies
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 16:09 

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011 ... piracy.php

Quote:
Rick Santorum thinks the concept of man-made climate change is both "patently absurd" and part of a "scheme" by the left to get more government regulation.

Santorum was on Rush Limbaugh's radio show Wednesday, where he was asked whether he agrees with Mitt Romney's comments from last Friday, embracing the universally accepted science of man-made climate change.

Santorum replied:

Quote:
I believe the earth gets warmer and I also believe the earth gets cooler, and I think history points out that it does that and that the idea that man, through the production of CO2 -- which is a trace gas in the atmosphere, and the manmade part of that trace gas is itself a trace gas -- is somehow responsible for climate change is, I think, just patently absurd.

Santorum continued that the idea of man-made climate change may be part of a liberal conspiracy: "To me this is an opportunity for the left to create -- it's really a beautifully concocted scheme because they know that the earth is gonna cool and warm. It's been on a warming trend so they said, 'Oh, let's take advantage of that and say that we need the government to come in and regulate your life some more because it's getting warmer.'"

"It's just an excuse for more government control of your life," he added, "and I've never been for any scheme or even accepted the junk science behind the whole narrative."

American, you so crazy. This guy is a serious contender to be the GOP's presidential candidate in 2012.

I liked this from the comments too:

Quote:
can you guys imagine how in other countries they must be raising eyebrows and laughing their heads off at these backward, fanatical, irrational American right-wingers and their ideology and their fantasies and their absurd conspiracies.. it really makes us the laughing-stock of the world..... (this guy is way too irrational and fanatical, even if he were to win the nomination there's no way he could win in a general; consequently what he thinks about global warming -- or anything else -- is pretty much irrelevant..)
Pretty much, yes, 'maya778899'.

Post subject: Re: American right-wing loonies
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 16:18 
ugvm'er at heart...

He does have a mild, almost related point, in that governments and companies have latched onto climate change as a way of raising more taxes and making more money...

Not the same thing, and hardly a conspiracy though :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 16:38 
Excellent Member

So, either the man's such an unprincipled liar that he's willing to gamble at poor odds with the future of his nation's economy and ecology, or he's insane.

Nice fella.

"Junk science," - that would be every scientist out there without a proven and dubious connection to the fossil fuel industry, then?

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 16:40 

Trooper wrote:
He does have a mild, almost related point, in that governments and companies have latched onto climate change as a way of raising more taxes and making more money...

Yes, quite.

Quote:
universally accepted science of man-made climate change

Quack quack oops!

David Holland, Engineer, man after my own heart:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenh ... e-row.html

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 17:18 
Excellent Member

Y'all need to enter 'Santorum' into Google, I think ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 19:17 
and!

Ah, so reading about this guy suggests that

- Climate change is giving evil government control taking away teh freedoms1
- teh evil Gay people1 need to be stopped by the government.

Comedy podcast, films and that - http://www.wenton.co.uk - Now with Hammer horror special

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 20:12 

Meanwhile, the other potential GOP presdential candidate, Mitt Romney, is taking flak because he said:

Quote:
It seemed like a straightforward question on a second-tier issue: Would Mitt Romney disavow the science behind global warming? The putative Republican presidential front-runner, eager to prove his conservative bona fides, could easily have said what he knew many in his party’s base wanted to hear. Instead, the former Massachusetts governor stuck to the position he has held for many years — that he believes the world is getting warmer and that humans are contributing to that pattern.
“I don’t speak for the scientific community, of course, but I believe the world’s getting warmer,” he said. “I can’t prove that, but I believe based on what I read that the world is getting warmer. And number two, I believe that humans contribute to that. I don’t know how much our contribution is to that, because I know that there have been periods of greater heat and warmth in the past, but I believe we contribute to that.”

Also:
Quote:
He must shed the flip-flopper reputation that haunted his last presidential campaign while also appealing to conservative voters wary of his past support for near-universal health care, abortion rights, same-sex marriage and other positions befitting a politician elected in liberal Massachusetts.
In 2011, support for universal health care, same-sex marriage or a woman's ability to choose an abortion is still something that can end a politician's career. I find this incomprehensible.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:44 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Rob Paul looks interesting, although I'm not sure if he really has any chance. Whilst I might not agree with many of his opinions, he does appear to be someone who votes in an unpopular manner if his principles lead him that way, rather than towing the party line. I'm not sure if withdrawing from NATO and the UN, phasing out the Federal Reserve and granting Letters of Marque instead of military action are good ideas, but at least when he says he for "smaller government" he really means it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:13 
Excellent Member

'Letters of Marque'? Holy shit, so 'this war brought to you by the Coca-Cola Company' and 'Lockheed is proud to be part of the Battle for Falluja 3, 2014'?

Because the only thing corporations lack now is an army. Nice idea.

'Welcome to Wall-Mart's invasion of Dubai. We love you, valued enemy combatant.'

Phasing out Federal Reserve also very bad idea. Didn't Goldfinger try to do that once? And he was an evil German!

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:29 
Rude Belittler

At least letters of marque would be honest.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:45 

The European powers agreed to abolish them in the 1850s, but the US didn't join that treaty. So when the Confederates started issuing them, the Europeans refused to treat the rebel ships and crew as pirates as the US wanted them to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:16 

Squirt wrote:
withdrawing from NATO and the UN, phasing out the Federal Reserve and granting Letters of Marque instead of military action are good ideas, but at least when he says he for "smaller government" he really means it.
Holy shit. I had no idea. Well, as you say, he gets a measure of grudging respect from me for walking the walk as well as talking the talk, even if I do think he's nuts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:22 
Excellent Member

Ron Paul is closer to the likes of Palin than his supporters care to admit.

The problem with the US Right is that they think they as individuals operate in isolation. They extend this to their world view, well they don't have a world view. The world, in their eyes, consists of North America + whoever they are invading at the time. There is a staggering level of ignorance in their mindset.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:32 

Squirt wrote:
Rob Paul looks interesting, although I'm not sure if he really has any chance. Whilst I might not agree with many of his opinions, he does appear to be someone who votes in an unpopular manner if his principles lead him that way, rather than towing the party line. I'm not sure if withdrawing from NATO and the UN, phasing out the Federal Reserve and granting Letters of Marque instead of military action are good ideas, but at least when he says he for "smaller government" he really means it.

The US was originally always sceptical about the merits of entangling itself in foreign alliances - I think it was Washington's Farewell address that warned about this.

As for small government, remember that the US is a federal system, and the constitution sets out the powers of the federal government vis-a-vis the states. It's only 5,000 or so words long, and well-worth reading (guess which thing the original text hinted at but never mentioned directly!) if you've never done so (here's one). Whilst it is clear it some parts, it is ambiguous in others: much of the power of the Congress comes from it having the right to regulate commerce between the states. These days, almost anything related to government can be squeezed into that category .

Of course, those who tend to want power taken away from the federal government also don't really want the state governments to take on the roles either.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:48 

I love this quote from here regarding Thatcher snubbing Palin and refusing to meet with her:

Quote:
What he doesn’t understand is that Palin’s nutsiness is not a partisan matter in Britain, or anywhere else in the world. It is an obvious truth marveled at by all. Palin’s emergence as a serious figure in American politics has made the country a laughing stock across the world. The idea that a stateswoman like Thatcher, in advanced dementia, would be used by such a crackpot is simply unseemly.

Spot on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:10 

Quote:
The idea that a stateswoman like Thatcher, in advanced dementia, would be used by such a crackpot is simply unseemly.

(couldn't resist, sorry)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 15:34 
Gogmagog

Palin's emails to be released. Grauniad wants readers to sort through them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 19:00 
Paws for thought

Kern wrote:
As for small government, remember that the US is a federal system, and the constitution sets out the powers of the federal government vis-a-vis the states. It's only 5,000 or so words long, and well-worth reading (guess which thing the original text hinted at but never mentioned directly!)

Is it Dimrill?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 16:59 

Brilliant...

Quote:
Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum are taking heat for signing onto a group's pledge suggesting African-American families were better off in some ways under slavery.

The two most prominent social conservatives in the 2012 field signed onto "The Marriage Vow - A Declaration of Dependence upon Marriage and Family," by The Family Leader, a Christian group. According to the pledge, "Slavery had a disastrous impact on African-American families, yet sadly a child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African-American baby born after the election of the USA's first African-American President."

Everyone involved has since distanced themselves from the statement.The Family Leader said the slavery language could be "misconstrued" and removed it, Santorum praised their decision (while urging more Republicans to sign the pledge), and Bachmann reiterated her strong support for the 13th Amendment.

"In no uncertain terms, Congresswoman Bachmann believes that slavery was horrible and economic enslavement is also horrible," spokeswoman Alice Stewart told CNN.

The group's claim wasn't only offensive, it was also inaccurate. Forbes' Osha Gray Davidson notes that it relies on a study that doesn't even have data past 1880 and whose author completely disagrees with the group's conclusion.
Now that's a gaffe!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 17:10 
Sleepyhead

In fairness, Bachman, whilst on the surface seeming like a better, less mental version of Sarah Palin, is actually just a complete mentalist who has no chance of becoming President. Flavor of the month, will bugger off soon enough and go be a bigoted fuckpig in whatever horrific part of the country she comes from.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]