Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 Post subject: Super Mario Galaxy 2
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 23:30 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Some 10/10 scores for this

IGN : http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/109/1091239p1.html

Quote:
I think the one thing you should take away from this review: Super Mario Galaxy 2 wholly exceeded my expectations. Leading up to the game’s release I hadn’t expected much more than simply “more of the same.” I loved the original Super Mario Galaxy, but the company would have to do something pretty special to really “wow” me.

Consider me “wowed.” Again. Yes, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is more of what made the original so amazingly good: brilliant gravity platfoming. Incredibly tight and responsive controls. Fantastic musical score. But it’s not a “me too” experience -- a significant majority of this sequel is brand new. New level challenges, new gameplay mechanics, new (and incredible) orchestral pieces. All done up in a package that streamlines the classic Mario experience: a straightforward presentation, a much more intelligent camera system, and a rewarding progression that opens up some seriously devious and fulfilling level challenges.

Mario has always been a universally appealing game design and Nintendo has done an incredible job to make sure its key franchise is just as accessible to gamers of all walks of life. Most of all, Super Mario Galaxy 2 perfectly captures that classic videogame charm, the reason why most of us got into gaming from the start.

Edge : http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/rev ... o-galaxy-2

Quote:
Marvel at the pieces, but appreciate the whole. This isn’t a game that redefines the genre: this is one that rolls it up and locks it away. We’ve come so far, from stepping on mushrooms to drop-kicking meteors into the heart of the sun; Galaxy 2 offers a new understanding of where we’ve been, a new sense of wonder at where we’ll go next.

1UP : http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3179424&p=44

Quote:
If you loved the first Mario Galaxy, but you're wary that this follow-up is a mere shade of its predecessor, than rest assured that this fan-service laden sequel feels just as new as the first Mario Galaxy. Everything from the sweeping orchestral score (which even includes new arrangements of classic tunes thrown in simply to tickle the nostalgia of long-time fans) to the ingenious layout of traps, puzzles and platforming speaks to a level of craftsmanship that only comes from years of refinement and reinvention. And if you've yet to try out Mario on the Wii (or only played New Super Mario Bros. Wii), than Galaxy 2 proves how good design can make even the seemingly complicated, gravity-defying acrobatics of Mario's world feel completely effortless.

Gamespot : http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/supe ... eview.html

Quote:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is simply an outstanding game. It never rests on its laurels for a second, constantly presenting new objectives and mechanics to push you to never before seen places. Even the two-player mode offers new abilities and delights, making it even more fun to play with a friend by your side. Everything is so well designed and so entertaining that it's easy to get sucked into this world for hours. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is so phenomenal that it's difficult to imagine where Mario could possibly go in the future. But that's hardly your concern now. Mario proves that he is still the king of fun.

Any interest in it on the forum ?

There is an ISO of the US version floating around teh interwebs which seems to work on softmodded consoles - all you need to do is plug a fresh set of batteries into the Wiimote ......

Post subject: Re: Super Mario Galaxy 2
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 23:45 
Ready for action

I loved the first but for some reason I never finished it. Distracted by another game no doubt. I doubt I'll be able to resist this though. It won't be my number one priority but I will get it.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 0:01 
Comfortably Dumb

superdupergill wrote:
I loved the first but for some reason I never finished it. Distracted by another game no doubt. I doubt I'll be able to resist this though. It won't be my number one priority but I will get it.

That sounds like my experience of it too. I'll probably pick the sequel up too, but I'm building up a collection of Wii games that I intend to get round to some day...

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:56 
It's all pish

This is almost certainly going to be bought within the next week or so, if only because my wife was hopelessly addicted to the first one and will no doubt want the sequel. I honestly didn't expect it to be garnering those kind of scores though.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:11 
Excellent Painter

I really enjoyed the first one but like a few others stopped playing it about 3/4 of the way through. I did think the ludicrously twee story time thing that was going on with the Princess was a little too saccharine, even for a Mario game. Can't remember if there was anything else that put me off, but didn't this come out amidst a ton of other great games?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:17 
Esoteric

One of these days I am going to buy a Wii with both this and the original. I am then going to lock myself in a small dark place and play with myself. Ooer.

I played the original and got utterly addicted to it before having to give it back (it wasn't my Wii). But some day when Wiis are about £100 I will get the whole lot.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:00 
Excellent Member

A lot of reports coming in that SMG2 is noticeably harder than SMG - no doubt some will relish the extra challenge, but for me SMG was just right on the difficulty front. Still, I'll have mine in a couple of weeks so we'll see if I end end chucking the controller through my monitor. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:25 
What's this bit for exactly?

Four_Candles wrote:
A lot of reports coming in that SMG2 is noticeably harder than SMG - no doubt some will relish the extra challenge, but for me SMG was just right on the difficulty front. Still, I'll have mine in a couple of weeks so we'll see if I end end chucking the controller through my monitor. :)

Mario64 is still my favourite (got 150 stars 3 times, loads of nifty shortcuts on the levels once you get powered up), Sunshine got tedious (stupid lava level), SMG was good but too easy - so I never bothered finishing it.
Sounds like this may be back to top form (tho I recall SMG was a 10/10 game most places)

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:27 
Hibernating Druid

This might tempt me into buying a Wii game. Loved the first one, but I fucking hate Nintendo EU.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 13:14 
Sleepyhead

Added difficulty is a good thing. I played for a couple of hours and never even came close to being killed.

In fact, that may be the main reason I found the original exceedingly boring. None of the cool fun stuff happened anywhere near the start. I saw Riles playing a later level that looked like fun, but to have to play through several hours of vanilla boring wandery stuff first?

No thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 13:15 
Hibernating Druid

Nintendo games are for kids now. Deal with it. :attitude:

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 13:26 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Curiosity wrote:
Added difficulty is a good thing. I played for a couple of hours and never even came close to being killed.

In fact, that may be the main reason I found the original exceedingly boring. None of the cool fun stuff happened anywhere near the start. I saw Riles playing a later level that looked like fun, but to have to play through several hours of vanilla boring wandery stuff first?

No thanks.

I'm certainly going to buy this, so you may as well wait and borrow it. However, I do hate the start of Nintendo games with a passion, and particularly Mario games, for the first half an hour as you get idiot walked through every button press and move even though THEY ARE THE SAME AS IN THE LAST GAME.

After that initial tedium though, my experience went as follows. Mild Interest>OMFGWOW>Tricky but still WOW> What the fuck is the point of Bee Mario?> Ah, no Bees, loads of fun again> Springy mario is megalols>Final Bowser Level> End Credits, but I still have 40 stars to get>Surely I've seen this level before?> This looks familiar... > I'm not collecting 120 stars.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 13:35 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I'm certainly going to buy this, so you may as well wait and borrow it. However, I do hate the start of Nintendo games with a passion, and particularly Mario games, for the first half an hour as you get idiot walked through every button press and move even though THEY ARE THE SAME AS IN THE LAST GAME.

From what i can see you have the option to stop to read signs and talk to little star men who tell you how to jump and spin and stuff , but you can simply ignore them and get on with the levels.

Also in getting the first 2 stars i've picked up plenty of extra lives but have also died (by falling from a jump off a planet) so its not going to hold your hand *that* much

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 20:02 
Ezekiel

I'm also in the camp of "beat the main game, but ran out of desire to actually get all the stars" with the original. However, I did hugely enjoy the main game, so will likely pick it up.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:18 
I forgot about this - how vain

Based on the first 5 stars it is glorious.

Just hope it doesn't get too hard. Like NSMB Wii.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:51 
Chu Jung?

Blimey. I'm about 50-odd stars in now, and am tempted to call it the greatest piece of entertainment ever devised by humankind. Truly, it is RIDICULOUS amounts of fun to play.

That said, the return of Spring Mario I did NOT want. Mercifully there's only been one level of that so far though...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 14:24 
I forgot about this - how vain

Based on 7 stars:

It's everything computer games should be. It makes every other developer look like a child drawing in crayons. Every level has more ideas packed into it than most games have in their entirety.

Its levels are linear and proud to be so. It has no time for chaff and padding.

It is also the most beautiful looking game I've played this generation. HD or otherwise.

My main problem is that each "World" contains multiple "Galaxies" - which makes the astronomer in me furious.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 21:58 
Excellent Member

Dr Lave wrote:
which makes the astronomer in me furious...

...but the theoretical physicist jumps for joy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 22:56 
Excellent Member

Got it Friday morning, played it for a large amount of the weekend, just saw the credits. Without being very spoilery, it's got a very clever way of encouraging you to max it out. A decent player can see the credits in 12-15 hours play.

I didn't think it was massively more difficult than the original, but then I didn't find NSMB Wii that amazingly difficult either so maybe I'm not the best person to judge. I like the level design, and returning to some of them in comet challenges made me go "ooh!" as originally unconsidered facets are revealed. One re-visited level in particular which looks initally horrendous had me going "oh, I see," and was actually a ton of fun.

Criticisms: I'm not sure the controls for Fluzzard are quite as convincing as I'd like, aaggh Spring Mario, and I'm not sure it has *quite* the wealth of ideas as the original, but I'm more likely to return to this to finish it properly. So.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 23:26 

Dr Lave wrote:
Based on the first 5 stars it is glorious.

Just hope it doesn't get too hard. Like NSMB Wii.

The problem I had with NSMB.Wii was that it was too frustrating compared to the amount of fun in the game, and it seemed to lack a compulsive edge.

The original Super Mario Galaxy was tough and frustrating at times, but you just didn't care, as it was such a joy to play, and you were always eager to see the next level, to see what new imaginative level designs and challenges were ahead . Heck, Yoshi's Island could be described in the same way, and perhaps Super Mario World. I guess NSMB.Wii is too workmanlike and predictable for my tastes.

Dr Lave wrote:
My main problem is that each "World" contains multiple "Galaxies" - which makes the astronomer in me furious.

I'm a non-astromoner, but do get irritated that in general usage, 'galaxy' and 'solar system' are often confused and considered interchangeable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 20:58 

I've got SMG2 now and AAAARGH IT'S LIKE IT'S MADE BY SOME ADVANCED ALIEN CIVILISATION OR SOMETHING :kiss:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 21:26 
Excellent Member

Location: Split my time between Craggy Island and Barry Island. I like a funfair.
I am so tired of these super hard mario games. I just want to have some fun and play some Mario Bros. ffs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 22:45 

kim wrote:
I am so tired of these super hard mario games. I just want to have some fun and play some Mario Bros. ffs.

I gave up early in frustration with NSMB.Wii, but I'm burning through Super Mario Galaxy 2 at a rapid rate. It's not super hard, at least not yet (then again the first SMG had some extremely difficult levels, but were optional and hidden away).

To be fair though, if NSMB.Wii had the option of a gamesave after each stage, Classic controller compatibility, and more balanced multiplayer, I would have kept playing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 23:24 
Excellent Member

Location: Split my time between Craggy Island and Barry Island. I like a funfair.
In the states we can use our wii, ps3 or 360 to watch movies/tv via Netflix (like lovefilm). Shame you don't have a similar service. That and Animal Crossing are why my wii still sticks around.

Oh and me using it to play smb 2 and 3 instead of lugging out the nes or snes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:19 
Paws for thought

kim wrote:
In the states we can use our wii, ps3 or 360 to watch movies/tv via Netflix (like lovefilm). Shame you don't have a similar service. That and Animal Crossing are why my wii still sticks around.

Oh and me using it to play smb 2 and 3 instead of lugging out the nes or snes

I use mine ass a gamecube, and probably for the new zelda when it's released.

Although second hand. Nintendo aren't getting any more of my money after the farce that was star points for wii points. Good customer loyalty scheme, that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:06 

I never finished the first SMG. Stuck on the Lava daredevil comet thing and came far too close to booting the Wii out of the window. I am rubbish. :'(

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]