Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: RACE Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:28 
making out to faces of death

It's now (in theory) exactly one month to the release date for RACE Pro on the XBox 360. At least that's what play.com said when I pre-ordered it recently (£32.99, seems quite cheap for a new release?) So I thought it would be cool to have a topic for the game, as I only found mentions in forza, midnight club and burnout paradise topics.

I watched the trailer, they seem to be really talking up the physics. I wonder how much compromise, if any, they have made going from RACE 07/GTR Evolution on the PC, to the Xbox 360. Console racing gamers (at least reviewers :attitude: ) historically haven't been overly keen on things like locking brakes and huge understeer and other such fun detracting elements of race car driving. I have to say I always found the PC game more something to mess with driving on a certain circuit than having an interesting career/story game, and that suited me, though GRID I thought had a good career ladder system.

I've really enjoyed Forza2, but there's a floaty element to the view which may either be because it's not a very 3d handling game, or maybe just the lack of in car views leading to a more detatched experience. I am hoping that RACE Pro will offer something comparable to the PC version- "simulator" handling, and in car views that help you feel like you're really hustling the car.

I'm also really hoping that the online racing isn't a pile of rubbish, and secretly hoping for multiplayer options like "force all assists off" and "force cockpit view", though I'm also hoping that there'll be a softer mode for enjoying with a wider group of people.

I can't see it having the same kind of fun car painting system as Forza2, and of course nobody is going to get free addon tracks on a console, compared to the PC modding scene, but I am cautiously optimistic that this could be just the thing I've been looking for in a console racing game.

Last one to roll down paddock hill bend's a rotten egg!

Post subject: Re: RACE Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:30 
UltraMod

Yep, I'm very much looking forward to this. For pretty much the same reasons you've stated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:33 

I agree with the previous two posts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:38 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Do you all prefer cockpit views as well, then? I've never been able to control racing games with 3rd person cameras, and bumper cams always feel like you're a ghost.

I haven't read or seen anything about this game. I'll have to have a look.

Also, I've never really managed to click with Forza 2 as a game, nor its predecessor on the original Xbox. What I really like in racing games is getting a car, and working hard to increase its performance to keep up with new races; in Forza, instead, I have too much money too quickly, and I'm forced to drive hundreds of different cars I have no interest in just to meet the class requirements. I never connect with a particular car, or ever get a chance to truly master its character.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:40 
Hibernating Druid

Forza 2 got me into the habit of using cockpit view. It also kinda racing gamed me out. Race Pro will have to be shit hot to tempt me into buying it.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:43 

nynfortoo wrote:
Do you all prefer cockpit views as well, then?

I prefer a first person view of some description, preferably the view with the bonnet just visible at the bottom of the screen. I find that including the interior of the car takes up too much of the screen and makes what is already a restricted view feel even more so.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:46 
UltraMod

ShopTo.net are doing pre-orders for £29.99, apparently, but I can't get on their website at the moment.

Yes, I prefer cockpit views. It just feels more immersive, even though visibility is lower.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Zardoz wrote:
Forza 2 got me into the habit of using cockpit view. It also kinda racing gamed me out. Race Pro will have to be shit hot to tempt me into buying it.

Yep, I can't think of anything that's 'wrong' with Forza 2 right now that's going to make me buy a game that's going to be pretty much exactly the same.

That's the problem with racing games - make a good one, and there's not a massive amount to improve on next time round.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:47 
UltraMod

Except they're nothing alike. Forza 2 is a collect-em-up, whereas Race PRO is a simulation of the WTCC. It'd be like comparing Gran Turismo to the F1 games on the Playstation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:49 
INFINITE POWAH

myp wrote:
It'd be like comparing Gran Turismo to the F1 games on the Playstation.

Eh? They're both car games.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:50 

From having played previous titles from these devs on the PC I'd have to say that there is a huge difference in the feel. And in a simulator that's what it's all about really. Part of the fun comes from the illusion that you are controlling a physical object, Forza is a fun racing game but it does have that floatyness which deadens things somewhat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:51 
Hibernating Druid

myp wrote:
Except they're nothing alike.

Get the fuck out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:52 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

myp wrote:
Except they're nothing alike. Forza 2 is a collect-em-up, whereas Race PRO is a simulation of the WTCC. It'd be like comparing Gran Turismo to the F1 games on the Playstation.

Comparing touring cars with touring cars is like comparing touring cars with F1? I think not, fella.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:52 
UltraMod

Mr Chris wrote:
myp wrote:
It'd be like comparing Gran Turismo to the F1 games on the Playstation.

Yeees? They're both car games.

If you believe that then you and Zardoz don't belong in this thread. :hat:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:54 
INFINITE POWAH

A car's a car, myp, whether it's a Fiesta or an F1 car. They have the same number of wheels, and the same steering wheel and pedal set up. Some are just faster than others.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:55 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:
myp wrote:

Comparing touring cars with touring cars is like comparing touring cars with F1? I think not, fella.

No, I'm comparing the actual games - not the cars themselves. Forza and GT have fictional series, and even the top performance cars with liveries on are fakes. The whole point of a simulation like the F1 games or Race is that you're fully immersed in a real-life championship.

That's the pinnacle of racing games, for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

"Nothing alike" is complete bouncing monkey cobblers though, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:56 
INFINITE POWAH

myp wrote:
Craster wrote:
myp wrote:

No, I'm comparing the actual games - not the cars themselves. Forza and GT have fictional series, and even the top performance cars with liveries on are fakes. The whole point of a simulation like the F1 games or Race is that you're fully immersed in a real-life championship.

That's the pinnacle of racing games, for me.

The point where it gets really tedious, you mean? BTCC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Grass track racing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>F1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:57 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

myp wrote:
Yes, I prefer cockpit views. It just feels more immersive, even though visibility is lower.

Absolutely. I think my favourite moment in any racing game so far is still from Colin McRae '04, where I was battering along a narrow forest track, window wipers furiously trying to keep up with the complete onslaught of the bucketing rain and mud splashing up from bouncing and skidding around, desperately trying to get a peek at where the hell I was going, and what was going to appear in front of me next. I don't think I've ever felt as immersed since.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:58 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:

Yeah, I was exaggerating a bit. Also Chris: One man's tedious, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:58 

Craster wrote:

Well obviously it's a given that they're both racing games, RacePro isn't going to be as different to Forza as say Mario 64 is. But having played previous titles from these devs on the PC I'd have to say that in terms of racing sims they were very different from the Forza type of thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:59 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

But that's my point - if you're into it enough, you find enough difference in the details to justify buying it. For me, it's the same cars round the same tracks with a barely noticably different physics model.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:00 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:
But that's my point - if you're into it enough, you find enough difference in the details to justify buying it. For me, it's the same cars round the same tracks with a barely noticably different physics model.

Exactly. Now get the fuck out so we nerds can talk about camber settings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:01 

Forza 2 doesn't have a cockpit view and this is part of why it falls short for me. I don't get much sense of the weight transfer of the car from it. In RACE 07 (and Live for Speed, rFactor, Richard Burns Rally) the in cockpit view gives a good sense of how the car is moving on its wheels, how the weight is shifting around through turns, etc. It's a lot more immersive for me, and feels closer to the real thing than Forza 2 can.

If you only buy one racing game for the XBox 360, it would be Forza 2, I'm sure. I'm looking for, and hoping for, something closer to reality, to the way a car feels to be driven. I can get this in the above mentioned PC racing sims, I'd like to get it on my XBox too, so I have fingers crossed for this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:01 

Craster wrote:
So the only people who bought Forza were either full on racing game nerds or had never played something like Gran Turismo?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:02 

nynfortoo wrote:
Absolutely. I think my favourite moment in any racing game so far is still from Colin McRae '04, where I was battering along a narrow forest track

It's funny that. I hated the CMcR games (after 2, which was just good fun) because the roads felt like dual carriageways, and you could see from replays how wide they were. Then I got Richard Burns Rally, and all was well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:04 
UltraMod

AceAceBaby wrote:
nynfortoo wrote:
Absolutely. I think my favourite moment in any racing game so far is still from Colin McRae '04, where I was battering along a narrow forest track

It's funny that. I hated the CMcR games (after 2, which was just good fun) because the roads felt like dual carriageways, and you could see from replays how wide they were. Then I got Richard Burns Rally, and all was well.

The roads were really narrow in 2005, which is the one I played the most. Is RBR any good, then?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:04 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

markg wrote:
Craster wrote:
So the only people who bought Forza were either full on racing game nerds or had never played something like Gran Turismo?

Nah - it was next-gen, wasn't it? There wasn't a decent 360 racing game around at that point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:06 

Ah so only some extra pixels can make for a different experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:06 

myp wrote:
The roads were really narrow in 2005, which is the one I played the most. Is RBR any good, then?

If you like seriously nerdy rally games that punch you in the face repeatedly when you try to drive them like a sega game, it's sublime.

I love it. :DD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:08 
Comfortably Dumb

AceAceBaby wrote:
nynfortoo wrote:

I really enjoyed CMR2, but struggled with any of them after that. Mind you, I was too keen on RBR either, but I'm more of a casual driving game fan - I'll change tyres for the conditions but that's about all I can be arsed with.

As for cockpit views, I found Test Drive Unlimited a lot better using that but generally I like to see what's around me. I couldn't imagine playing something like Ridge Racer or Flatout using anything else other than a third-person view.

UltraMod

And it runs on the 360. I think I may have to do some digging. :)

SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

markg wrote:

No, the difference was that it was the first of its type on a new console.

Like I said above - if you're into racing enough to notice the difference between two touring cars games offering little different in the way of actual features on the same platform, it's probably a fine purchase. I was explaining why I wouldn't buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:11 

I'm kind of hoping that the difference is that a casual forza player can't stop sliding off at turn one every time they play it, if you see what I mean. Harsh, but we have forza already, I'd like something a bit more serious, otherwise, you're right, what's the point? Still if you get to race some cool new tracks (I really like Brands Hatch) then it can still be worth it even if it's "more of the same".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:12 
UltraMod

Forza is great in many ways, but it doesn't feel real enough for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:13 

Craster wrote:
markg wrote:

No, the difference was that it was the first of its type on a new console.

Like I said above - if you're into racing enough to notice the difference between two touring cars games offering little different in the way of actual features on the same platform, it's probably a fine purchase. I was explaining why I wouldn't buy it.

I don't think you do have to be into racing all that much though. I really can't be arsed tweaking setups or any of that crap, that's all just filler, it's all about how the cars feel. It's the same with shooters, you know how some just feel better than others? They have some indefinable (by me at least) quality that makes the shooting feel somehow much more satisfying.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:16 

I'm no good at the technical points of car setup- to me that's a slightly different branch of the nerd tree to wanting a really good tire model and weight transfer physics. It's about the "feel" for me, too.

What I like about forza 2 is that it made the effort. It is very good as a game, as a result. I'm itching for a sim, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I wouldn't buy a shooter that had the same guns, same maps, but a tightened-up feel though, that's what I'm saying. Other people would.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:18 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
I wouldn't buy a shooter that had the same guns, same maps, but a tightened-up feel though, that's what I'm saying. Other people would.

Or they'd just write a mod for the extra weapons nerdery e.g. the Rainbow 6 games on PC.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:18 

But people keep buying the same shooter/different war all the time!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:19 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:

Except Race Pro doesn't have the same 'maps'. Lots of the tracks in Forza are fictional - all of them in Race Pro are real-world courses.

It might not seem like much of a difference to you, but it makes a lot to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:20 
UltraMod

AceAceBaby wrote:
But people keep buying the same shooter/different war all the time!

I'd go as far to say that FPS games are far more homogenous than driving games.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:21 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

myp wrote:
It might not seem like much of a difference to you, but it makes a lot to me.

I know, but people keep arguing with me when I tell them why I won't buy a game, oddly :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:22 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:
I know, but people keep arguing with me when I tell them why I won't buy a game, oddly :D

I know - and I accepted your reasoning before telling you to GTFO - why are you still here? :hat:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:24 

Straying off topic into shooty games... I always preferred Operation Flashpoint to Medal of Honor. They were not remotely similar games, despite featuring men in drab clothing with firearms.

It's the same with, say, Need for Speed: Underground, and Live for Speed.*

*Ironically(?) LFS is possibly the most realistic driving sim/game on the PC, while featuring almost no real cars or tracks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:25 
INFINITE POWAH

AceAceBaby wrote:
Straying off topic into shooty games... I always preferred Operation Flashpoint to Medal of Honor. They were not remotely similar games, despite featuring men in drab clothing with firearms.

It's the same with, say, Need for Speed: Underground, and Live for Speed.*

*Ironically(?) LFS is possibly the most realistic driving sim/game on the PC, while featuring almost no real cars or tracks.

I think that's the difference between an "arcade" game and a simulation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:27 

Mr Chris wrote:

Perhaps, though Medal of Honor was no Serious Sam. Likewise, Forza 2 is no NFS:U, but...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:27 
UltraMod

AceAceBaby wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

Perhaps, though Medal of Honor was no Serious Sam. Likewise, Forza 2 is no NFS:U, but...

You're pretty much describing the spectrum of driving games. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:29 
Hibernating Druid

myp wrote:
I'd go as far to say that FPS games are far more homogenous than driving games.

I'd go as far to say that you're a homo-genius.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:30 

Well, quite, so here's hoping they see there's room to broaden that spectrum.

Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next