Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: No God of War III thread?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:09 
Excellent Member

I know it's trendy to hate the PS3 and everything, but has anyone had a go on God of War 3 yet? The opening level is probably the most visually impressive and cinematic sequence I've ever seen in a video game. It's unbelievably amazing.

My co-worker just interviewed the dev team, if anyone's interested.

Annoyingly, she swiped all my questions without asking. Tch.

But seriously, you should really, really check out the first level on a big arse HDTV. It's almost worth buying a PS3 for.

Post subject: Re: No God of War III thread?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:10 

It's on my Lovefilm list. I rarely get on with this style of game so I probably won't enjoy it for long, but I am looking forward to trying it out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:21 
Excellent Member

Oh, it's definitely worth trying out, even if you're not a fan of the previous games.

One massive improvement is the QTEs -- where they appear on screen actually correlates with the button (so square is off on the left, triangle is up the top, etc.) It makes it all a lot more intuitive and allows you to enjoy the cinematics. Also, there's a threesome with two bints while a goddess watches on lecherously.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:29 

I played the opening round my mate's last night. Think I'm gonna hold out until it's cheap and I have more time. I actually stopped playing because I got a little bit bored. Undeniably epic and pretty, though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:38 
Excellent Member

You're certainly a lot more jaded than I. For my money, the titans climbing up Mount Olympus tops anything from the Lord of the Rings movies -- it totally blew me away. Were you playing on a decent sized telly with surround sound and that?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 13:22 

Yep, he has a 40-odd" job and 7.1 surround in his bachelor pad. I was honestly just so bored after button mashing against those giant horse headed spider things and then Poseidon. I genuinely just got bored and didn't want to play anymore. I felt the same about the previous games - it's the same button mashing shit and slightly awkward platforming/climbing with progressively more impressive stuff happening in the background. It's undeniably an incredible spectacle, but to cite it as a reason to actually buy a PS3 is advice I'd be careful not to dish out, unless you want people to be angry with you.

You're saying it tops the Lord of the Rings movies - personally, I'd disagree with that, but I see your point. The important thing to take from that comment, though, is that you were blown away by the spectacle - you didn't say anything about the actual game being any fun to play. And if that's what you mean, I completely and utterly agree. Save your cash and watch a HD video of someone else playing the game.

Uncharted 2 was much better for my money. Of course, I've only played the first bit and the demo, but judging from the previous games, the reviews, the first bit and the demo bit, I imagine it's not going to change much throughout. And as for the QTEs, yeah, good that they've put them in a more intuitive place this time around, but you still don't really have time to actually watch what's happening, and they're far too frequent for my liking. I actually found playing the game a little tiresome and I just wanted to turn it off and watch telly. Maybe that's just me, but there are many better reasons to buy a PS3.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 16:19 
UltraMod

Isn't it just God of More? I'll probably check out the first game on the PS2, seeing as I haven't done that yet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 21:23 
Excellent Member

If there was ever any proof needed that games shops are happy to shaft their own suppliers, there has just been an advert on RTE by Xtravision advertising God of War 3 for free if you trade in two games.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 21:15 
Excellent Member

Plissken wrote:
If there was ever any proof needed that games shops are happy to shaft their own suppliers, there has just been an advert on RTE by Xtravision advertising God of War 3 for free if you trade in two games.

link?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 22:17 

Played more today. Hack, slash and the occasional puzzle. Definitely holding on for cheapo.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 22:48 
Excellent Member

LaceSensor wrote:
Plissken wrote:

link?

http://www.xtravision.ie/games.aspx

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]