Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: USB/ethernet adaptor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 13:06 

I would appreciate some advice, please, on the following.

Briefly, my girlfriend received a 360 from Santa, and wants to get it online. Only, her modem is quite an older type and only has USB sockets - she is soon planning to upgrade her modem and whatnot anyway, but for now, will some kind of USB-to-ethernet adaptor do the trick, hopefully something like this, so she can plug the adaptor into the USB socket on the modem, then plug the ethernet cable into this, then into the 360.

Thanks in advance. :kiss:

Post subject: Re: USB/ethernet adaptor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 14:22 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Agent Starling wrote:
I would appreciate some advice, please, on the following.

Briefly, my girlfriend received a 360 from Santa, and wants to get it online. Only, her modem is quite an older type and only has USB sockets - she is soon planning to upgrade her modem and whatnot anyway, but for now, will some kind of USB-to-ethernet adaptor do the trick, hopefully something like this, so she can plug the adaptor into the USB socket on the modem, then plug the ethernet cable into this, then into the 360.

Thanks in advance. :kiss:

Nope , what you need is a PC to bridge things between them , so the PC has the USB modem plugged into it , *and* the Xbox is wired (ethernet cable) into the PC - i'm sure other people have set this up on here have a search for Xbox and bridging.

(alternatively a modem / router can be quite cheap to pick up - i probably have one sitting in a cupboard somewhere you could have for the cost of postage but she wouldn't have it to use for a while)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 14:37 
baron of techno

Happy Xmas Agent S!

I really don't think that will work, unfortunately. That thing is for plugging into a PC to add an ethernet socket, and it needs drivers to do that. The modem won't know what to do with it. Neither will the 360 if you plug it into that.

One way that will work (albeit it can be a pain in the arse to set up) is to connect the 360 to the PC using an ethernet cable, and then set up "internet sharing" or "bridging" to let the 360 get to the internet. I think a few people here have tried that.

Personally I'd grab a new ADSL modem / router, to save the hassle. I even have an unused BT Voyager one with real ethernet ports on it (but no wifi) - if you want it I can stick it in the post.

edit: hah, must have pressed "submit" just after Zaphod, because I've just come back to notice that my post bounced :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 16:25 

Thanks, chaps. We have since discussed this over a box of After Eights, and she's decided that in the New Year she will be upgrading to Virgin broadband, etc, and so will just hold out a little longer to get that all sorted. I mean obviously she can still use the 360 and play the games, it'll just be missing the online aspect for now.

Thank you both for your offers of the router jobbies, though, and much appreciated. :)

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]