Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Connection sharing
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:02 

Anyone got any idea how you set up a laptop running Vista so the Xbox can get access to Live? I've a pal struggling to set this up & not knowing Vista I can't really help him.

Edit: Oh aye & the laptop is connected to the router via wireless if you didn't guess.

Post subject: Re: Connection sharing
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:32 

Sorted. Something to do with bridging the connection.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 13:01 
Hibernating Druid

Mods, can we sticky this thread to help others in future?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 13:15 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

Yeah that's how I sorted it too.

WARNING!!! DO NOT CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE THE SIGHT OF MAXIMUM PWNAGE!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 13:16 

I done this, and opened all the ports and that, but apparently my NAT is still strict.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 15:06 
Excellently Membered

Nik wrote:
I done this, and opened all the ports and that, but apparently my NAT is still strict.

I think if your XBOX is on the DMZ doing so should be fine. If it's not on your routers DMZ I think you have to forward the correct ports (I can't remember the correct ones) to the IP of your XBOX.

Oh this from MS (LINK)
http://support.microsoft.com wrote:
If there is a firewall or a router between the Xbox console and the networking hardware, and if the Xbox LIVE test reports an NAT problem, you may have to make configuration changes to enable communication on the specific network ports that are required by Xbox LIVE. This reconfiguration is known as "port forwarding." If you use an Xbox LIVE-compatible device or a Windows Vista-compatible device that has the correct firmware installed, you should not have to make these changes.

For more information about how to determine whether your networking hardware is compatible with Xbox LIVE, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
944293 How to find out if your networking hardware is compatible with the Xbox LIVE Service
If your device is not on the compatible list, and if you experience the symptoms that are described in the "Introduction" section, you can try to open the following ports:
TCP 80
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074
UDP 53
TCP 53
For information about how to configure port settings on a firewall, on a router, or on a gateway, please see the documentation that was included with that device, or contact your network administrator or local technical support for help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 15:59 

itsallwater wrote:
Nik wrote:

I think if your XBOX is on the DMZ doing so should be fine. If it's not on your routers DMZ I think you have to forward the correct ports (I can't remember the correct ones) to the IP of your XBOX.

Ta. I did forward the ports from the router to the laptop and then from the laptop to the XBox, and then lost the ability to be arsed with it when that didn't work. I can connect to Live, but get the warning about strict NAT. I'm planning to move the router to the same room as the XBox anyway, and have been offered a free wireless adapter for it too, so should have multiple options soon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 16:59 

I would post about my adventures in trying to do this bridging to a 3G dongle or to a tethered mobile, but it's more fun to hammer nails into one's cock.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 17:05 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

This thread seems strange to me, in that I have the exact same set-up and had not a single issue in doing it. Only difference is that I'm not connecting wirelessly to the xbox, I'm using an ethernet cable... can that really make THAT big a difference? 8)

WARNING!!! DO NOT CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE THE SIGHT OF MAXIMUM PWNAGE!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 17:54 

Solve this one then - I've gopt my 360 wifi'd to the router for online stuff, but it lies right underneath my PC, so I want to use the ethernet cabling to stream music from y hard drive into my 360. Looks to me like the 360 is an either/or machine when it comes to networking, which is stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 17:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GovernmentYard wrote:
Solve this one then - I've gopt my 360 wifi'd to the router for online stuff, but it lies right underneath my PC, so I want to use the ethernet cabling to stream music from y hard drive into my 360. Looks to me like the 360 is an either/or machine when it comes to networking, which is stupid.

It's not stupid.
Buy a cheap switch or hub, and plug it in behind your PC. Plug the wire that's in your PC now into the hub, and then plug the 360 and the PC into it.
Bravo, wired network.

(Sorry if that sounded patronising, but you never know how much the person you're talking to knows about these things)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 18:07 
Awesome
Yes

So what's the difference between the function the switch performs in the above setup and a regular router?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 22:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Supa-laymans, but a router is a switch with extra bits in so it can plug into the phone line to get you your broadband data.

If the router is round the back of the PC and has spare network ports, then use that. I figured that wasn't the case though, as the 360 connects wirelessly.

[edit]Thinking about it, the PC could be connected wirelessly as well. Wireless is bad! Wire that shit up!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 23:05 
Awesome
Yes

Oh good. Thought I was missing something.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 23:06 

Grim... wrote:
Supa-laymans, but a router is a switch with extra bits in so it can plug into the phone line to get you your broadband data.
Cough cough splutter.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 23:08 
Awesome
Yes

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Cough cough splutter.

Hush. I was wondering why use a switch when a router will do but I guess that's because a switch is cheaper.

Woooooo!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 23:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Cough cough splutter.

Yeah, I know. I feel dirty :)
But it's probably more meaningful than "connects logical subnets together".

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]