Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Post subject: Red Faction: Guerilla
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:55 

I picked it up yesterday and am so far managing to see past a few flaws just because the smashing and blowing stuff up is the best I've seen. Anyone else playing this yet?

Post subject: Re: Red Faction: Guerilla
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:57 
Gogmagog

I'm tempted by it. It got a decent write up in the Observer yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:01 
That Rev Chap

I really liked the demo, so I'm hoping to get it at some point. However, as I'm currently trying to work out how to feed two people for a week on £20, it'll have to wait a while.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:05 
UltraMod

The Rev Owen wrote:
I really liked the demo, so I'm hoping to get it at some point. However, as I'm currently trying to work out how to feed two people for a week on £20, it'll have to wait a while.

The fake Batchelor's Super Noodles that cost 9p a pack.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:07 

I'm having fun with it anyway. Although considering how much they talked about the physics some of it seems a bit iffy, occasionally you shotgun someone and they go shooting off across the map, or you'll be trying to bring down a building and the whole top floor will end up being held up by one small pillar in a corner somewhere.

Also it's sometimes just a bit frustrating as you can't really seem to clear an area before you begin your demolitions, the fuckers just keep coming. So rather than carefully planting your charges in the best spots and then standing back to watch you often seem to end up running round throwing charges and then turning back to fight the enemy as you set them off, then finishing off the building with a few rockets. Although apparently it gets better as it goes on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:15 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I picked it up at launch. It's fun, but I only managed to get to the second zone before getting distracted by Crackdown. Now I've completed that (what a fucking excellent game) I'll give some more attention to this.

The physics are generally pretty impressive, though more than a few times I've noticed buildings being held up by corners as well. If you like strategically placing explosives, check out the demolitions challenges. Though they only give you a few minutes to set up your site, there's nothing else to distract you. It's great fun.

The car-driving thing at the end of the first zone annoyed me. You have to drive in an armoured car, knocking down some sort of communication pillars. The enemy are very alerted by your japes, and come piling in towards you as fast as they possibly can. If they tip your car over, which seemed to happen far too regularly, it seemed to be game over. I managed to get past it in the end, and hopefully I won't be forced to do something so annoying in the future.

Good game so far, but a little thin. Obviously, I can't judge it this early on though!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 20:59 
Excellent Member

Is it worth the £39.99 (cheapest I've seen it for), or is it more of a wait 'til it's £19.99 new and £12 used sort of game?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 21:00 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

So far I'd wait for a price drop. But I'm not very far in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:45 

End of an Era wrote:
Is it worth the £39.99 (cheapest I've seen it for), or is it more of a wait 'til it's £19.99 new and £12 used sort of game?

I'd probably have waited but I was in Asda, saw it for £35 and just really fancied a new game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:20 

I (for some reason) got two copies in the post for free, but I still haven't played it. This was a bragging post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:59 

I've just about nearly finished this game and I have to say that I've loved every minute of it. It's a big, daft orgy of destruction and it gets better the longer you play. It reminded me very much of playing Crackdown perhaps due partly to it having the same voiceover bloke but also the way that your powers (or weapons in this case) and the level of mayhem you can unleash increase exponentially as you progress.

I wouldn't take issue with all the 7/10 review scores as the criticisms are all valid but for me it's more an 8/10. I reckon the multiplayer would be good fun too. In short if you like smashing stuff and blowing things up then get it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:06 
Hibernating Druid

Jonarob wrote:
I (for some reason) got two copies in the post for free, but I still haven't played it. This was a bragging post.

Can I have one? It's not my birthday.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:25 

Zardoz wrote:
Jonarob wrote:

Can I have one? It's not my birthday.

Sorry, I gave the spare copy to my girlfriend's little brother. BUT, you can have my copy when I'm done if you want? To be honest, I probably won't play it again so send me your address and I'll post it out next time I'm at the Post Office!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:27 
Skillmeister

Bagsy next when yowm done with it Z.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:35 

Slut game!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:50 
Hibernating Druid

PM sent Jonarob :luv:

Dimrill wrote:
Bagsy next when yowm done with it Z.

Is it your not birthday?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 18:52 
Peculiar, yet lovely

The Rev Owen wrote:

Potatoes. Lots of. Baked, sliced and baked (chips, like), mashed and doughed up with flour and some marge, then formed into cakes and fried/grilled and topped with cheese and onion, or ham.

Frozen peas make a great side dish for lots of things. Quite filling, quite nutritious, and about a quid for a kilo or two.

Also pasta - make a pile of it with an onion, mushrooms, peppers (or whatever is cheap and would go. Or do without if necessary), a tin of chopped tomatoes and a pile of herbs, plus chili if you have any (morrisons do a pickled chopped chilli thing for about £1.50 that'll last months). If you have any, add tuna or ham or sausage. Will do for three or four meals, is healthy and tasty and keeps for several days. Microwave the cack out of it the second time, or just have it cold.

Mackerel or kippers. Good for the old oily stuff, and goes well with potato, good and cheap too.

Sandwiches for lunch, obv. A jar of peanut butter will do you for a week or two. Basically it's best to stick to veg and sausage and pasta dishes, but making in huge quantities. If you make two batches of something that lasts, you can alternate for most of the week without getting utterly sick of it.

/spam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 20:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Considering that was 3 weeks ago, he's either managed it or they're both dead. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 20:43 
That Rev Chap

I'm doing fine!
\

(Pasta and peanut butter featured heavily though, yes.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 0:06 
SavyGamer

Just liberated mars.

Complaints:
The driving (as in from A to B, not from A into a building) isn't great, and it seems to make up like 60% of your playtime.
The moving the target around the screen minigame from near the end of the single player is rubbish, and they make you do it twice.
If you are going to make an open world game with a jetpack, you should not be allowed to fill said open world with invisible walls.
I think it is a little too easy to die quickly - especially when doing so in the middle of a mission often means you have to do a lot of driving again.
Ending (as in very end, not the journey to the 'final battle') was an utter let down.
The walkers and tanks are pretty badass, but you don't get to use them very often.
The buildings falling apart tech is not perfect, it is just very very good. Funniest problem is when buildings can stay up on just one spindly bit of structure.

Other than those things, loved this game to bits. Proper review on the way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:12 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
Just liberated mars.

Complaints:
The driving (as in from A to B, not from A into a building) isn't great, and it seems to make up like 60% of your playtime.
The moving the target around the screen minigame from near the end of the single player is rubbish, and they make you do it twice.
If you are going to make an open world game with a jetpack, you should not be allowed to fill said open world with invisible walls.
I think it is a little too easy to die quickly - especially when doing so in the middle of a mission often means you have to do a lot of driving again.
Ending (as in very end, not the journey to the 'final battle') was an utter let down.
The walkers and tanks are pretty badass, but you don't get to use them very often.
The buildings falling apart tech is not perfect, it is just very very good. Funniest problem is when buildings can stay up on just one spindly bit of structure.

Other than those things, loved this game to bits. Proper review on the way.

Buy it off you for £18?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 23:18 
SavyGamer

Probably. I want to write my review first, incase I need to check anything.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 16:13 
Excellent Member

Got this yesterday and so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's a bit too easy to die and suffers from the same problems that a lot of 3rd person games do in that you can't easily see behind you or turn around quickly. Also not so keen on the driving from A to B to do C. But other than that, great stuff!

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I just did the marauder base mission in Dust. Completely brilliant! It's Capek's lab from the first game, the way you go in is the way you escape in the first RF and as you work your way up to the mission goal, you start noticing how familiar the layout is. Also, the inclusion of the radio interference of Capek taunting Parker was a stroke of genius. Thoroughly creepy!

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]