Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Alternative to SVP?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 13:20 
Hello Hello Hello

I've always used SVP for basics such as ink, paper, cases (DVD, CD etc), blank media, USB sticks, cheap PC speakers, and other consumable type things.

However, their site has undergone a couple of horrible re-designs, the useful customer reviews have gone, and half the stuff I want now appears to be permanently out of stock (black DVD cases, DVD paper inserts etc), on top of that they're clearly now aiming to compete with the likes of Overclockers or Ebuyer, selling PCs and graphics cards and suchlike.

Since I've literally used no one else for years for all my day-to-day computery basics, I have no idea where else to go, can anyone recommend an alternative supplier?

Post subject: Re: Alternative to SVP?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 13:41 
Kindly deeds done for free

Atrocity Exhibition wrote:
I've always used SVP for basics such as ink, paper, cases (DVD, CD etc), blank media, USB sticks, cheap PC speakers, and other consumable type things.

However, their site has undergone a couple of horrible re-designs, the useful customer reviews have gone, and half the stuff I want now appears to be permanently out of stock (black DVD cases, DVD paper inserts etc), on top of that they're clearly now aiming to compete with the likes of Overclockers or Ebuyer, selling PCs and graphics cards and suchlike.

Since I've literally used no one else for years for all my day-to-day computery basics, I have no idea where else to go, can anyone recommend an alternative supplier?

I've used http://www.aprmedia.com/ in the past for a few bits and pieces when SVP were out of stock and was pretty pleased with the quick service. Haven't actually compared their prices though -- they were the only supplier with what I wanted so I didn't have much choice. I noticed they don't seem to list dye codes or country of manufacture for CDs/DVDs if that kind of thing matters to you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 13:47 
Excellent Member

Never had problems with ukdvdr.co.uk myself.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 14:02 
Comfortably Dumb

Atrocity Exhibition wrote:

It's weird - they created a whole beta site to presumably test stuff and get feedback but I preferred the old one. On the subject of graphics cards - I bought a cheap one on there the other week; most on there are PCI-E but I wanted AGP so I went for one that had AGP in the title and said it was an AGP interface in the description and when it arrived, it was a PCI-E card anyway. Customer Service wasn't overly helpful either when trying to sort it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 16:14 
Hello Hello Hello

Plissken wrote:
Never had problems with ukdvdr.co.uk myself.

Ahhhh yes, absolutely perfect, have everything I want at decent prices.

Order placed, thanks for the tip :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 17:30 
Chinny chin chin

I spend serious amounts of money with SVP. However I do use a number of other suppliers. Big Pockets and Big Maggot can be good for consumables. I do have other people but you need to be ordering in large quantities for them to do business with you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 14:22 
Goth

On a related note, does anyone know where I can get cd jewel cases for less than or equal to 10p each delivered? I can buy in pretty large quantities if necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 19:35 
Chinny chin chin

Nirejhenge wrote:
On a related note, does anyone know where I can get cd jewel cases for less than or equal to 10p each delivered? I can buy in pretty large quantities if necessary.

Oooh, now I did order a load about a year back but from lord knows who. I don't do regular orders of them as nobody wants them. C-Shells are where the cool kids are at these days.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 21:27 
Goth

Are c-shells those new ones with the see through corners? I could probably use a few of those but considerably less. What I want them for is replacing old broken cases.

Come on find out where I can get them! Chinny you disappoint me. Next you'll be telling me you don't know where to get replacement cases for all my audio cassettes!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 21:32 
Chinny chin chin

Nirejhenge wrote:
Are c-shells those new ones with the see through corners? I could probably use a few of those but considerably less. What I want them for is replacing old broken cases.

Come on find out where I can get them! Chinny you disappoint me. Next you'll be telling me you don't know where to get replacement cases for all my audio cassettes!

C-Shells are these:

These jewel cases do you?

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?nav=2&product=DATAWRI326&title=Datawrite+Single+Black+Jewel+Cases+%28Box+of+50%29

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 22:48 
Goth

Sadly not as they only offer free shipping according to certain conditions which I can't meet (buy something you don't want which has free shipping, get free shipping on the whole order). Oh well, thanks anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 23:22 
Chinny chin chin

Nirejhenge wrote:
Sadly not as they only offer free shipping according to certain conditions which I can't meet (buy something you don't want which has free shipping, get free shipping on the whole order). Oh well, thanks anyway.

Your 10p barrier may be a problem unless you want huge quantities or get lucky. I find it very hard to make any money when selling cases for my CD/DVD duplication service. You make the money on the discs themselves and occasionally get lucky and get a good price on cases which you can then sell on for prices that seem reasonable.

Of course, if you want a pallet full of 10,000 cases of any type, the world is your lobster. In fact in the world of duplication if you can handle that kind of quantity you can make money. But I only order a few hundred of each type of case in one go as I just can't store them. C-Shells are good to push because they are quite space efficient, as are plastic sleeves (think I have something like 5000 of the buggers at the moment). DVD cases are a bitch and I currently have 300 cases stacked up in a corner.

Looking at my stock list, jewel cases are listed at 14p each which means I probably bought them for about 10p. That means I stand to make a whopping 8 quid from the 200 I have left in stock. Ho hum. See what I mean about cases being hardly profitable?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 18:11 
Comfortably Dumb

From SVP's latest email -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 20:43 
Chinny chin chin

devilman wrote:
From SVP's latest email -

As I posted elsewhere (as I couldn't find this thread), I did email them yesterday to complain. They wouldn't explain why they had moved from Devon to Scotland and I also expressed my disapointment they seem to now want to be a PC/electronics box shifter rather than a great company for consumables.

Despite me averaging a grand a year on consumables with them, they don't really seem interested in giving me a proper response. The prices for their CD/DVD cases have become less competitive, and the option to buy media in bulk for a discount seems to be being phased out.

Really not sure what the story is with them. If they stop selling the Mediastar TY printable DVD's then I'm off. Although I have 600 in the cupboard.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 22:02 
Hello Hello Hello

I placed my first order with UKDVDR at the weekend and everything arrived well packed and in perfect condition today - so they're my choice of supplier from now on.

(Four days for delivery might seem slow but you basically have to take expected UK delivery times and then add 2 days on for the IOM, sometimes another day on top of that if the driver doesn't have enough deliveries to justify coming out to my little town :D)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:15 
Esoteric

I know this sounds daft, but do they have customs on the IOM?

I mean, obviously we do here 'on'? the UK but do they recheck everything on there too?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:48 
Gogmagog

JohnCoffey wrote:
I know this sounds daft, but do they have customs on the IOM?

Yes, there's a famous bike race once a year and Cammag (a game like Shinty) is very popular. Their bats have poor echolocation so they keep the street lights on all night, so they don't fly into things.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:18 
Excellent Member

The cats have no tails. How do they smell?

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:22 
UltraMod

Everyone has three legs.

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]