Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: 360 HDD quick question
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:38 
Honey Boo Boo

I still have my 20Gb 360 HDD sitting around unused after I replaced it with that 60Gb one.

A chap came over to quote for decorating the living room and started talking about his son's 360. He's only got an Arcade, and how his son was now a bit peeved that he had that while his mate across the road had an Elite. I told him the only real difference was the Arcade didn't come with a hard drive, and that I could sell him my 20Gb one.

So... would it just plug straight in and work? I'm pretty sure that after you've done the transfer cable thing the drive is wiped, right?

And what's a reasonable price for one of these?

Post subject: Re: 360 HDD quick question
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:01 
UltraMod

You might want to plug it into your machine and just wipe down anything (if it hasn't done it automagically), beforehand.

They seem to be going for about £15-20 on eBay. You could probably fleece him, though, if he doesn't know about such things. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:03 

What myp said. The transfer cable says it wipes the drive, but I'd check. Trade-in at Game was £12 when I listened in to a conversation a few weeks ago. I think £20 would be fair, and you could certainly ask for more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:17 
Honey Boo Boo

£20 for 20gig sounds fair. Cheers chappies. I might as well wipe it if/when he's around again, as he's not got a clue about these things and it would good for him to see how to attach it!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:48 
Unpossible!

Magnets. Big powerful magnets. That'll do it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:51 

MrDavPaz wrote:
You reckon? Your hard disk already contains the most powerful magnet in your house.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:54 
Unpossible!

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MrDavPaz wrote:
You reckon? Your hard disk already contains the most powerful magnet in your house.

I wouldn't count on that... I *am* a Bond Villain y'know.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:58 

The rare earth magnets they use in hard drives are the most potent permanent magnets there are, although admittedly you could have much, much bigger ones. Like that horrific x-ray I posted of the guy who had a couple of really whopping rare earth magnets the size of bowling balls and got the end of his finger inbetween the two.

An old college friend of mine went on to do a medical imaging PhD and worked with the most powerful MRI scanner in London; at full chat it could (in theory) throw a Ford Transit across the room. Now that's a magnet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:04 
Honey Boo Boo

Quote:
Like that horrific x-ray I posted of the guy who had a couple of really whopping rare earth magnets the size of bowling balls and got the end of his finger inbetween the two.

You bastard. Some guy had posted on a bike forum saying he was thinking of fitting these things to his bike to 'help activate traffic lights' and someone posted it there. I'd just about forgotten about it until you mentioned it again now.

*shivers*

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:07 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Here's a question, I have a 20 gig hard drive spare also.. How difficult do you think it would be to swap the casing of the hard drive with my 120 gig one.. then I could trade it in at Gamestation thus getting the trade in value of a 120 gig drive when the gubbins inside will only be 20 gig!

I hope they don't check them...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:08 

MetalAngel wrote:
You bastard. Some guy had posted on a bike forum saying he was thinking of fitting these things to his bike to 'help activate traffic lights' and someone posted it there. I'd just about forgotten about it until you mentioned it again now.
Heh. Sorry.

That's actually a good plan, by the way. You only need some really tiny magnets to appear, to the buried-in-concrete coil they use to trigger traffic lights, to be a lump of steel the size of a double decker bus.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:12 

TheVision wrote:
Here's a question, I have a 20 gig hard drive spare also.. How difficult do you think it would be to swap the casing of the hard drive with my 120 gig one.. then I could trade it in at Gamestation thus getting the trade in value of a 120 gig drive when the gubbins inside will only be 20 gig!

Or you could achieve the same thing by going in there and stealing things.

Don't be that guy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:16 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Dudley wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Or you could achieve the same thing by going in there and stealing things.

Don't be that guy.

Nice little edit there Dudley! You are of course, correct. Instead, I shall head to eBay and make a couple of honest bucks there!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:19 

Or just trade the 20gb in?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:20 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Dudley wrote:
Or just trade the 20gb in?

I could but I tend to buy all my games online anyway so I'd much prefer real money than trade in credits.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:24 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

TheVision wrote:

They ask for ID when you trade something, so they'd have your details if you tried to fleece them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:35 
Hello Hello Hello

MetalAngel wrote:
I still have my 20Gb 360 HDD sitting around unused after I replaced it with that 60Gb one.

A chap came over to quote for decorating the living room and started talking about his son's 360. He's only got an Arcade, and how his son was now a bit peeved that he had that while his mate across the road had an Elite. I told him the only real difference was the Arcade didn't come with a hard drive, and that I could sell him my 20Gb one.

So... would it just plug straight in and work? I'm pretty sure that after you've done the transfer cable thing the drive is wiped, right?

And what's a reasonable price for one of these?

For the sake of £20 wouldn't you be better off having a tamed decorator who likes you and thus never fucks you around on prices and timescales? (i.e. Give him the drive.)

Like a Hypnotise Decorator 2 plasmid, but without the need for outlandish genetic modification.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:36 
Honey Boo Boo

I think the fact I'm going to be paying him about a grand for the work is his incentive to not fuck me around. Plus the fact he was recommended by the missus' uncle who will sort him out if he does try it on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:41 
Hibernating Druid

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
An old college friend of mine went on to do a medical imaging PhD and worked with the most powerful MRI scanner in London; at full chat it could (in theory) throw a Ford Transit across the room. Now that's a magnet.

You don't need magnets to hurl trannies.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]