Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bacardi advertising campaign
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 14:56 

Hello :munkeh:

I just spotted this on another forum. It's Bacardi's most recent advertising campaign. It's for Bacardi Breezers, and clearly aimed at the female population. I don't think it was in the UK, but anyway, I wanted to know what you thought. Here's a few images of sample pages:

Just wondered what people thought.

Post subject: Re: Bacardi advertising campaign
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 14:58 
Soopah red DS

Bizarre! Surely that won't convince anyone that this is a good lifestyle choice - and that's the message, isn't it, rather than really thinking that anyone who doesn't drink that type of booze will suddenly try it as a result of the advertising. Are they for real? Seems awfully little mention of the Bacardi Breezer - perhaps they're just there to be 'outrageous' and then they can pretend to be awfully sorry, pull the ads and bask in the publicity?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 14:58 
Skillmeister

Degrading? Insulting? Yep, both of those. I wonder if the models realised how their images would be used when they were having their photos taken. Sally's not that fat anyway...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:00 
INFINITE POWAH

I agree with teh above, but I'm also slightly concerned that Lucy is going to hurt someone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:02 
Skillmeister

She's actually sawing the head off a child just off camera.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:03 

That's pretty depressing really. Just imagining the sort of complete fucking cunts who dreamt that up makes me want to pummel their smug, twattish faces in.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:07 
Ready for action

Very bizarre. Strangely, the chief marketing officer is leaving Bacardi next month. I wonder if this was a wee parting joke from her, because it doesn't really make any sense!
I am a bit of a geek for Diageo adverts, I think they are great. They do an awesome Johnnie Walker advert in America with a robot and of course every Smirnoff or Guinness advert is excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:10 

Tasteless? Crass? Certainly. But surely tounge in cheek?

I can't image that those girls in the ads didn't know precisely how their images were going to be used beforehand, in the litigation-mad world of the US of all places. Otherwise, whoever put these together could get their collective ass sued off.

Nothing to get too worried about I'd have thought; that's ad agencies for you. Besides, the Yanks don't really do irony.

Personally, I would have thought this 'campaign' will fall smartly on its arse. However, they say there's no such thing as bad publicity, so who knows? I find cigarette advertising far more cynical and evil than this kind of overt nonsense; I understand that the UK 'Silk Cut' campaign is often cited as a 'masterwork' of advertising, despite the deliberate use of subliminal, fearful imaging and all the rest? Bleh.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:11 
Excellent Member

Dimrill wrote:
. Sally's not that fat anyway...

and not ugly either.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:13 

markg wrote:
That's pretty depressing really. Just imagining the sort of complete fucking cunts who dreamt that up makes me want to pummel their smug, twattish faces in.

I'm still a little unclear, Mark. Please stop being so agnostic here; are you saying you're positively against this, then?

:D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:15 

Captain Caveman wrote:

I can't image that those girls in the ads didn't know precisely how their images were going to be used beforehand, in the litigation-mad world of the US of all places. Otherwise, whoever put these together could get their collective ass sued off.

Nothing to get too worried about I'd have thought; that's ad agencies for you. Besides, the Yanks don't really do irony.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't in America, actually, but can't remember/find a link as to where it might have been :S

EDIT: site was in Hebrew/English, so Israel.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:19 

Ah right, I was working off the regrettable use of 'American English', there.

'Flavor' indeed... hmph. :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:20 
Hibernating Druid

markg wrote:

I bet they've all got iPhone 3Gsesess and fancy cars with soul.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:22 

Zardoz wrote:
markg wrote:

I bet they've all got iPhone 3Gsesess and fancy cars with soul.

Could be flappy paddles involved, too.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:32 
I forgot about this - how vain

Those adverts are horrible.

There is also a certain irony in selling a hugely fattening suger drink to people by suggesting they stand near fat people, because obviously they are thin if they are drinking this brilliant barcadi.

Infact if that is the (rather subtle) intention, then it could be an attempt to get around rule 11.8 (c) of the ASA advertising rules around alcohol which states:

Quote:
Rule 11.8.1(c)
Advertisements must not link alcohol with sexual activity or success or imply that alcohol can enhance attractiveness

Infact the guidance notes go on to say:
Quote:
Advertisements may not suggest that alcohol has a positive role to play in sexual relationships. Alcohol should not be used as an aid to seduction or seem to enhance a person’s attractiveness.

It even touches on this one too:

Quote:
Rule 11.8.1(a)
(1) Advertisements must not suggest that alcohol can contribute to an individual’s popularity or confidence, or that refusal is a sign of weakness. Nor may they suggest that alcohol can enhance personal qualities.

From what I know of advertises this was a subtle attempt to touch on these issues in a way that means the ad won;t get banned.

Source

(If you wanted to complain, (I think it would fail, but you never no) you could use this it's all on line and it will only take a few minutes. You would need to find a source for it in print/tv/radio though.)

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:37 
INFINITE POWAH

(A) the ad's not in the UK and (B) the ASA doesn't have remit over companies' own websites anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:42 
I forgot about this - how vain

They looked scanned into a magazine?

And I did mention you would need a source.

And I did mention that it wouldn't work.

I only mentioned it as an insight into (why I think) they created these horrid ads. They wanted to promote the idea that it was summer and you'll be out on holiday (whilst drinking barcadi) & clubbing (whilst drinking barcadi) and you'll defintly score if you take your fat friend with you (whilst drinking barcadi).

Which is just sly enough to get past the rules.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:46 
INFINITE POWAH

Dr Lave wrote:
They looked scanned into a magazine?

I thought it was just horrible graphic design. You're right, of course!

Quote:
I only mentioned it as an insight into (why I think) they created these horrid ads. They wanted to promote the idea that it was summer and you'll be out on holiday (whilst drinking barcadi) & clubbing (whilst drinking barcadi) and you'll defintly score if you take your fat friend with you (whilst drinking barcadi).

Which is just sly enough to get past the rules.

Mainly because it doesn't break them, of course.

I used to do a lot of reviews of advertising for a multinational cosmetics company what I worked for as an inhouse lawyer, so am well aware of the tricks of the trade. To be honest, though, I reserve more of my scorn for the dumb fucks that go for it. At least the marketeers are getting *paid* for being cunts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 16:09 

Mr Chris - did any of your work ever involve the advertising of mascara and the fact that the magical effects achieved by the new wonder mascaras were so obviously massive false eyelashes and cgi in close-up shots, rather than anything to do with the mascara? One of those things that really bothered me. Mascara commercials are the main reason I refuse to watch any channel that might have advertising breaks. That, and talking/dancing babies/animals in ads.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 16:14 
Gogmagog

I think it's great that the advertising industry has finally stopped using size zero models.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 16:15 
INFINITE POWAH

Mimi wrote:
Mr Chris - did any of your work ever involve the advertising of mascara and the fact that the magical effects achieved by the new wonder mascaras were so obviously massive false eyelashes and cgi in close-up shots, rather than anything to do with the mascara? One of those things that really bothered me.

Er, yes.

We had a complaint about one of those, oddly enough.

Of course the advertising guys didn't tell us they were fake, so we had little in the way of legs to stand on when the ASA wrote to us.

The "50%" bigger thing is sort of true, though, provided you mean "looks 50% bigger than they did without the mascara" - it's done by an optical effect of just coating the very fine ends of the lashes in horrible black sticky shit so they look longer than they did without it,as you couldn't really see the full length of the lashes without the mascara.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 16:16 
Gogmagog

Mr Chris wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Mr Chris - did any of your work ever involve the advertising of mascara and the fact that the magical effects achieved by the new wonder mascaras were so obviously massive false eyelashes and cgi in close-up shots, rather than anything to do with the mascara? One of those things that really bothered me.

Er, yes.

We had a complaint about one of those, oddly enough.

Of course the advertising guys didn't tell us they were fake, so we had little in the way of legs to stand on when the ASA wrote to us.

The "50%" bigger thing is sort of true, though, provided you mean "looks 50% bigger than they did without the mascara" - it's done by an optical effect of just coating the very fine ends of the lashes in horrible black sticky shit so they look longer than they did without it,as you couldn't really see the full length of the lashes without the mascara.

And I get shit for quite enjoying "Save the last dance"?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 16:17 
INFINITE POWAH

Do you get paid for wishing to be Julia Stiles? No. So shush.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 16:26 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
That, and talking/dancing babies/animals in ads.

:DD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 16:42 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

The mascara adverts tell you it isn't real at the bottom in small writing now, if I remember correctly from last time I saw one.

Quote:
YOUR EYELASHES COULD LOOK LIKE THIS* IF YOU USE OUR PRODUCT. LOOK WHAT IT DID** TO OUR MODEL. HER EYELASHES*** ARE 50% BIGGER.

*not this
**didn't do
***not hers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 16:45 
INFINITE POWAH

Malabar Front wrote:
The mascara adverts tell you it isn't real at the bottom in small writing now, if I remember correctly from last time I saw one.

Quote:
YOUR EYELASHES COULD LOOK LIKE THIS* IF YOU USE OUR PRODUCT. LOOK WHAT IT DID** TO OUR MODEL. HER EYELASHES*** ARE 50% BIGGER.

*not this
**didn't do
***not hers

As with anti-wrinkle creams, you are allowed to use weaselly subjective words like "appears", "looks", "feels". Just not "is".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 16:48 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Mr Chris wrote:
As with anti-wrinkle creams, you are allowed to use weaselly subjective words like "appears", "looks", "feels". Just not "is".

Yeah, no doubt. But the adverts specifically tell you what they're showing you has been computer-enhanced now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 16:50 
Soopah red DS

Ben Goldacre sums up the 'sciencey' bit of cosmetic adverts very well - doesn't use the word "weaselly", but same difference, essentially they make two separate statements, such as "contains collagen" and then "Collagen is an essential component of getting younger". Nice.

Friend of mine worked in advertising and they won the Smirnoff Ice campaign. Cue lots of writing of strategy papers and the like, all detailing how they'd win the 18-20 years old market.

Which is code for "14-17" - they really could care less about the 18-20s.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 16:59 
INFINITE POWAH

JBR wrote:
Ben Goldacre sums up the 'sciencey' bit of cosmetic adverts very well - doesn't use the word "weaselly", but same difference, essentially they make two separate statements, such as "contains collagen" and then "Collagen is an essential component of getting younger". Nice.

And then "skin appears smoother", which, as it doesn't imply a direct, permanent physiological effect on your wrinkles, is entirely okay by the ASA. Despite the sum total being that "collagen in our cream will make your skin younger and less wrinkly".

@ Malabar - some have for quite a while, it's just that they've always tried to avoid it as it automatically implies some overstatement by you as to the effectiveness of your product - "if you have to computer enhance it in the ads, then surely it doesn't work"? is the market research feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 17:13 

I like the other Bacardi advert better. At least it has a positive message.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 17:15 
Hibernating Druid

I'd like to see the Buckfast versions of these ads.

"sit next te pissyer scabby tramps ootside ginshaps ya bassads"

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 17:50 

Zardoz wrote:
I'd like to see the Buckfast versions of these ads.
I was looking for some pictures to 'shop & found the "Stairway to Heaven".
Work your way to the top of that & everyone's sexy, though the side effects mean you're more likely to fight them than sleep with them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 18:53 
Engorged Member

How bizarre....?

It's like it's the ad campaign specifically designed not to appeal to anyone!

Xbox 360 60Gb
Acer 5920G - Core2Duo T7300. Geforce 8600M. 4Gb RAM
Apple iPhone 3GS
Worcester Bosch 240RSF
Hotpoint WF541 (Graphite)
Beko ZA630 (Graphite)
Centurion CLN-155S
Sharp R209

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 22:48 
baron of techno

Ouch, that's horrible. Worse is that there must be a target demographic that'll respond positively to it.

Also, Mimi, "another forum"!?!?!?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:41 
Excellent Member

At least they have got rid of Vinny-Fucking-Jones. I just can't picture him going out with the rest of the "Crazy Gang" Wimbledon team, strolling up to the bar and saying "Right lads, my round, 10 lagers and a Bacardi and coke please."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:45 
Gogmagog

IFeelAsleep wrote:
I just can't picture him going out with the rest of the "Crazy Gang" Wimbledon team, strolling up to the bar and saying "Right lads, my round, 10 lagers and a Bacardi and coke please."

I can. There's no way any fucker is going to call him on it, is there?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:56 
Excellent Member

He's not all that. I could take him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:02 
Gogmagog

IFeelAsleep wrote:

You gonna hit him with your keyboard?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:13 
Excellent Member

If I were in the situation where I spilled Vinnie Jones' tall Bacardi I would aplologise and offer to buy him another, being an amiable chap. However if aggro was to ensue a swift pre-emptive twatting round the head with a Newcie Brown bottle would sort him out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:29 
Excellent Member

Vinnie Jones would shit himself if he ever had to face someone like Donald Brashear or George Laraque.

(Actually, that reminds me of a funny story. There is a little sort of respect between enforcers (aka fighters on a hockey team) mainly because there are there to intimidate and not score. Laraque scored a goal one evening and then went out on his next shift. The opposition enforcer comes out and stands next to him and says something, Laraque looks at him, the puck is dropped and Laraque starts a fight.

Once the fight is finished, the pair skate to the penalty boxes and have a conversation on the way.

"George, what the fuck did you do that for?"
"You said "Wanna go?". So I did!"
"I said "Nice goal" you fucking idiot!"

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:52 

kalmar wrote:
Also, Mimi, "another forum"!?!?!?

'Tis a knitting forum, don't feel threatened by it :kiss:

:DD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:15 
Excellent Member

Have you seen how sharp those knitting needles can be?

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:22 

Yes. Also, 20% of the people on there are psychotic. Really. Some of the drama that goes on there makes people here look like amateurs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I bet there's lots of threads.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:29 
baron of techno

I feel threadened.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:29 
UltraMod

IFeelAsleep wrote:

As Ross Kemp proved, it's not all that easy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:44 
Excellent Member

Ross Kemp had a fight with Vinny Jones?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:47 
baron of techno

IFeelAsleep wrote:
Ross Kemp had a fight with Vinny Jones?

Nah, Ray Winstone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:52